Space Marine Index

4 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

If I am reading this right, Stormravens can now carry Primaris Dreadnoughts. I think my Brutalis just found a ride! :biggrin:

image.png.52543ce820fa7d4e8ab1c1c82f094fc3.png

I don't think it does because the Redemptor for example has they keyword 'Redemptor Dreadnought' not 'Dreadnought'.  This one will probably need clarification to keep people happy

EDIT: HUH - I just noticed the Brutalis has both 'Dreadnought' and 'Brutalis Dreadnought' -- I guess unless they change it that one does work. That has to be an error

Edited by Paradogmatic

2 minutes ago, Large and Moving Torb said:

The Tactical unit comp change is really obnoxious. I have a small Dark Angels army with a Razorback and was planning on adding another with a five-man Tac squad. I guess that is going to have to be a second Devastator squad not, just with bolters so I can take my second RB. :cuss:

I didn't notice anything; Could you elaborate on what you are referring to?

1 minute ago, OrkPlayer137 said:

Sicarius and Cassius can be added to Sternguard squads! I think that's the only case I've found of mixing Firstborn characters and Primaris units.

phobos captain and scout squads is another.

shrike and assault/vanguard squads is another

3 minutes ago, Paradogmatic said:

I don't think it does because the Redemptor for example has they keyword 'Redemptor Dreadnought' not 'Dreadnought'.  This one will probably need clarification to keep people happy

Interesting because the Brutalis has both sets of Keywords. To be fair, the Brutalis is the one I really want to throw at the enemy. The Redemptor is much more useful stomping up the midfield and shooting.

image.png.e3504f16d866ea52e130d47d335e1784.png

Edited by Karhedron

Looking at the Salamanders characters:

Adrax Agatone looked good until I saw how anemic his options for attached units are. He has melee focused abilities, but the only melee unit he can lead is Assault Intercessors, who already get a reroll wound ability. Would it be too much to ask to let him pall around with Bladeguard at least?

Vulkan He'stan looks much better. His ability is going to make your contol of that particular objective especially secure. And he can benefit units other than the one he's joined with a pretty good range, so it doesn't feel like a waste to leave him sitting on an objective.

7 minutes ago, OrkPlayer137 said:

Sicarius and Cassius can be added to Sternguard squads! I think that's the only case I've found of mixing Firstborn characters and Primaris units.

Vulkan He'stan can join Infernus squads

Just now, Medicinal Carrots said:

Looking at the Salamanders characters:

Adrax Agatone looked good until I saw how anemic his options for attached units are. He has melee focused abilities, but the only melee unit he can lead is Assault Intercessors, who already get a reroll wound ability. Would it be too much to ask to let him pall around with Bladeguard at least?

Vulkan He'stan looks much better. His ability is going to make your contol of that particular objective especially secure. And he can benefit units other than the one he's joined with a pretty good range, so it doesn't feel like a waste to leave him sitting on an objective.

even for captains its only the shield bearing ones that can go with bladeguard, agree its a bit of a weird one though

3 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

just want to reiterate, they utterly neutererd vanguard vets lol...  their rules equate to basic power weapons. Not even close to hammers or fists. Agree with others in that they should have had a heavy melee option

Yeah, these guys are done. Probably about right. They can still be made durable and fast, however.

As someone who didn't really play pre-8th (struggled through 4th & 5th as a child), what's the best way to go about buliding your army? Do I pick the character I like first and then pick from his possible bodyguard unit or do I pick the squad I like and pick from the available leaders? Seems a small distiction but I don't want to get it wrong!

12 minutes ago, OrkPlayer137 said:

Pedro can too, thank heavens. Of all the IC's that SHOULD be able to. At least they made him able to.  That's been his whole deal since 4th or 5th ed, can't quite remember.

2 minutes ago, Dark Legionnare said:

Pedro can too, thank heavens. Of all the IC's that SHOULD be able to. At least they made him able to.  That's been his whole deal since 4th or 5th ed, can't quite remember.

Couldn't edit my post for some reason.

oh, and they gave pedro a bit of a glow-up. His fist is not just "Some ol' powerfist" like it was in 8th and 9th. The bossman shall ride again!

Edited by Dark Legionnare

12 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

just want to reiterate, they utterly neutererd vanguard vets lol...  their rules equate to basic power weapons. Not even close to hammers or fists. Agree with others in that they should have had a heavy melee option

Maybe because this will be the equipement of the new version of models to relese at no much time.

I think this index have some units that will be no more in the near future... 

Edited by sandrorect

4 minutes ago, ChapterMasterGodfrey said:

As someone who didn't really play pre-8th (struggled through 4th & 5th as a child), what's the best way to go about buliding your army? Do I pick the character I like first and then pick from his possible bodyguard unit or do I pick the squad I like and pick from the available leaders? Seems a small distiction but I don't want to get it wrong!

Pick a faction, buy at least one HQ, then just season in whatever things you like. This edition has almost no restrictions on what can be brought to bear as a complete army, so you kinda have the ability to do whatever you want.

Like dreadnoughts? Field a whole force of them. Like a more combined arms detachment feel?  Grab a couple of squads of intercessors, a couple heavier weapon squads and a few vehicles and go to town!

The world is your oyster!

14 minutes ago, ChapterMasterGodfrey said:

I would probably pick the units you want and then select appropriate characters to lead them. You need the units to build your battleplans around, the Characters are the seasoning to make them spicier. :wink: If you have a character you particularly like it is worth looking at what units he would work well in. But overall I think it is better to choose the units you need to execute your plan. You might choose a cool set of characters and then discover that they can't lead the sort of army you want to build or are stuck in units that don't really benefit from their abilities (like putting a Lt in a Tactical Squad).

24 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

I am sorry, that is my fault.

I just tracked down a box of the lovely Blood Angels Vanguard Vets and got them magentised. I was planning to spray them this weekend. :wallbash:

8 minutes ago, DemonGSides said:

Pick a faction, buy at least one HQ, then just season in whatever things you like. This edition has almost no restrictions on what can be brought to bear as a complete army, so you kinda have the ability to do whatever you want.

Like dreadnoughts? Field a whole force of them. Like a more combined arms detachment feel?  Grab a couple of squads of intercessors, a couple heavier weapon squads and a few vehicles and go to town!

The world is your oyster!

Personally, I want to see someone run a full 9 Land Raiders (standard, Crusader, and Redeemer)  in an Onslaught game. That's assuming points aren't too different.

3 minutes ago, SillyDreadnought said:

I'm not happy with these index rules. They're needlessly arbitrary on some things, and all the units I liked to use got worse.

Really not happy at all, to the point where I think I'll pass on the edition.

Worse in comparison to what though? To 9th? Every army is completely changed. Been playing since 3rd and rules change every edition, I try not to get too worked up about it because at the end of the days rules change all the time. 

Edited by Bradeh