Warhammer Preview - NOVA Open 2023

9 hours ago, Mmmmm Napalm said:

Honestly given how the Primaris characters have improved design wise (i.e. more faithful to the old models) since calgars release, I honestly wouldn't mind this l. he and shrike deserve a re-do lol.

Please no. Almost anything is a better use of design resources than Calgar being released for a fifth different time.

If you want modernised Terminator Armour special characters there are plenty of candidates; Njal, Belial and Lysander who are all still resin (if you can even get them anymore), and Logan Grimnar who could do with decoupling from his silly hovering wolf chariot (despite it being one of the most unique minis in the Astartes range)

38 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

Please no. Almost anything is a better use of design resources than Calgar being released for a fifth different time.

If you want modernised Terminator Armour special characters there are plenty of candidates; Njal, Belial and Lysander who are all still resin (if you can even get them anymore), and Logan Grimnar who could do with decoupling from his silly hovering wolf chariot (despite it being one of the most unique minis in the Astartes range)

Agreed. As much as I love terminator Calgar and would love to see a new version in plastic, there are many more deserving characters, special and generic, that deserve a new terminator sculpt before that happens.

If there needs to be a Ultramarine specific terminator character made, I think I'd rather have Agemman with unique wargear and a barouque suit of armour.

44 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

While I agree with the first half of the of your post, I'm not sure I would want anything to do with tiny legged older terminator models now that we've got the chonky new standard of termies. I'd sooner direct my efforts to converting perhaps the new captain model or such.

I'd be all up for Terminator Calgar. The current model is awful and I'd like it if they just quietly pretended they never made that model and dropped him.

Makes absolutely no sense fluff wise he'd become Primaris and choose to mangle his Terminator armour to become Gravis when he could have just kept the Terminator armour and had superior protection anyway.

But then, we all know GW had plans for Gravis and didn't realise people would want Terminators more for literally years.

14 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

While I agree with the first half of the of your post, I'm not sure I would want anything to do with tiny legged older terminator models now that we've got the chonky new standard of termies. I'd sooner direct my efforts to converting perhaps the new captain model or such.

I do love those new Tallminators, it's a very clean upsizing of the older sculpts. Just need a proper multipart kit, some more weapon options.

3 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

But then, we all know GW had plans for Gravis and didn't realise people would want Terminators more for literally years.

Honestly, Gravis can look great... If it's on a model holding a big, two-handed gun. Eradicators, Heavy Intercessors, they're solid, and don't feel quite as obviously 'these are your 8-9th ed version of Terminators, we promise' as the Aggressors did. 

Anyway, fewer named characters, more character kits you can use to make Your Own Captain. 

The Terminator Calgar was a great replacement for the power armoured version really. I don't think GW want multiples of the same character anymore, with historic Calgar being an exception.

Still, they might produce a Terminator one alongside the Gravis one before phasing out the former like they do. Ultramarines are a flag ship for Space Marines after all.

22 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Not sure I understand what you're getting at; I was suggesting that instead of GW redesigning Calgar for the fifth time, they could redesign Lysander, Njal etc to reflect the new scale of Terminator armour.

15 hours ago, Joe said:

during the WHFest Q&As they said that it was a Primarch that underwent "a great physical change"

Maybe Magnus? His FW sulpt is least like the original art. My first thought was Lorgar, but Lorgar Transfigured is maybe not so much a physical change as a spiritual one - I don't think he became a daemon prince until afterwards. 

3 minutes ago, Brother Captain Arkley said:

Lysander is a prime cadidate.

Imperial Fists have had more terminator armoured captain/praetor models in the last year than some other legions have had characters in total :sweat:

2 hours ago, Halandaar said:

i didn't mean that I actively want or hope that they re-do calgar. or that he should take priority over lysander, et cetera; I don't even play ultramarines. I was more or less just joking about how calgar got shafted compared to later primarized characters. 

Edited by Mmmmm Napalm

8 hours ago, Iron Father Ferrum said:

If only I had a dollar for every decapitation joke...

Calm down, there's no need to lose your head over it. :tongue::tongue:

Edited by Magos Takatus

Just because one model is released, doesn't mean others can't be released. If GW put resources into updating other Terminator models across the ranges, instead of entirely new concepts no one knows about prior to release, they'd earn a lot of goodwill, sell plenty of new models and everyone is happy.

Seems silly to say "yeah an updated Terminator kit for Lysander, Belial and Njal Stormcaller would be great, but not Calgar. No not him. He doesn't deserve one." Do them all.

Bring on Terminator Calgar, Lysander, Belial etc.

Edited by Captain Idaho

realistically, i dont think calgar NEEDs a new model, his one is fine (minus the backpack). I also don't think it's particularly likely to happen soon. I imagine GW are more likely to focus on working through the remaining finecast characters before they redo a redo. But it is the poster boys so anything is possible.

From a pure stats perspective, a terminator calgar would be a downgrade, not an upgrade. As his gravis already gives him a 2+/4++ same as terminator armour, and he has toughness 6 now thanks to it being gravis - probably another reason it's less likely.

I don't see them revealing any non generic marine releases at Nova anyway, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe some dark angel things I suppose.

2 hours ago, Halandaar said:

Not sure I understand what you're getting at; I was suggesting that instead of GW redesigning Calgar for the fifth time, they could redesign Lysander, Njal etc to reflect the new scale of Terminator armour.

Guess I misunderstood, thought you were suggesting they convert one from said characters. 

Teaches me not to read carefully

A more realistic expectation would be an anniversary diorama of Calgar on throne if we were to get anything for Marneus for the 40 year anniversary

Him in his Gravis armour as an updated version of this would be cool:

th.jpg.8fecda5bdc45d0a0ae094ba80494d503.jpg

For the reveal itself (probably unpopular sentiment), I hope they get the obvious 3 SM reveals out of the way early (HH, LI and 40k) and get onto the actually interesting reveals (interesting for me)

Edited by Brother Lunkhead
cleanup on argumentative posts

4 minutes ago, tinpact said:

I think he's referring to the transfer sheet that got leaked a few weeks ago, which had Raptors transfers along with the usual chapters.

Not a leak it is in the standard multipart boxes. Same situation with the vehicles boxes. Not seen anything about generic character kits getting a new transfer yet.