Warhammer Preview - NOVA Open 2023

15 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

...do we have any predictions, hopes, theories, etc. for stuff to he revealed at NOVA which isn't yet another named Spacemarine crossing the Rubricon Primaris or getting some other flavour of re-re-release?

In fairness, marines have the new codex dropping as per beginning of edition so it's expected. Possibly see something different for kill team if shown.

13 minutes ago, Robbienw said:

I may have missed something, but I’m not aware of any fluff that says the rubicon process has suddenly magically become completely risk free.

If it was risk free surely they’d just upgrade every marine asap. 

The way that seems to be happening? There was what, a speculated 40% success rate, but 100% of the heroes that tried it have succeeded. Regardless of extreme age, psychic abilities, or unique geneseed markers (wolves, blood angels); they've all turned out. 

The timeline isnt forward the 100+ years it originally was from the start of 8th. The chapters need to get the information, then build up their stocks of the new organs, and then rotate marines back to their monastery for surgery/recovery/retraining. You think a chapter could do all that in maximum 12 years? 

30 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

...do we have any predictions, hopes, theories, etc. for stuff to he revealed at NOVA which isn't yet another named Spacemarine crossing the Rubricon Primaris or getting some other flavour of re-re-release?

With mostly aos and secondly spacemarines probably stealing the show and anything else 40k being much further away its unlikely. Made a bigger prediction post a page back.

However when looking at rumor engines for speculation sake ( I left out the definitive AoS ones, and made rough guesses.. for example none of the admech ones are 100% admech imho, but because Admech will have a release in winter I added any and all there that could fit.)

40kRE.thumb.jpg.382d24d0530573f35614fc09a12cc899.jpg

Its possible Necron or Admech stuff is shown or teased (those are also very old rumor engines), as they will be winter and could be early winter. Kroot, Chaos and Ork is unlikely to be shown as they are for 2024... altough last edition we had the teaser video that showed stuff way in advance ( the one with Lelith, Skitari marshal, parasite etc.) but I believe that was more because of covid delays.

The "Guard" rumor engines could be shown as I dont think thats a regular release but a special edition one. The Mystery ones have a very good chance to not be 40k, but they are not as obviously AoS as others... interestingly despite being very different, they do kind of overlap in atmosphere.. its daemonic/aquatic without being obviously chaos nor idoneth (AoS sea elves) .. I think the hand will be a Bulltaur for bloodbowl (altough at first I didnt really think it was BB )

A dozen famous top GW characters with plot armour surviving it isn’t really a good sample to go by.

If it was really easy a chapter could upgrade every marine when they come off the battle line back to the fortress monastery or on a battle barge etc in that timeframe I would think.  Warp time dilation effects notwithstanding.

29 minutes ago, Robbienw said:

A dozen famous top GW characters with plot armour surviving it isn’t really a good sample to go by.

If it was really easy a chapter could upgrade every marine when they come off the battle line back to the fortress monastery or on a battle barge etc in that timeframe I would think.  Warp time dilation effects notwithstanding.

Direct us to the lore of the transformation not working. All we have is proof that it works, every time. Even Amadeus in Spear of the emperor makes the jump, with his body being extremely mutilated, done by people trying it for the first time, on a ship not properly equipped to do it. 

2 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

It has been said in books that they were getting better at doing it with each attempt. I imagine it's almost risk free at this point?

Almost risk-free yes. By the time we get to Godblight, it has become an elective procedure. That means it is safe enough to be used on Marines by choice rather than just when they are gravely injured. One Marine meets a Librarian who crosses the Rubicon over the course of the book and it is treated as relatively trivial. The Librarian comments on being impressed with the smoothness and performance of the Mk10 armour.

44 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Direct us to the lore of the transformation not working. All we have is proof that it works, every time. Even Amadeus in Spear of the emperor makes the jump, with his body being extremely mutilated, done by people trying it for the first time, on a ship not properly equipped to do it. 

The original fluff stated that there was a 61.6% chance of failure.  To determine the failure to success percentage there would have had to have been failures I.E. deaths undergoing the procedure.

Otherwise it would be a 0% chance of failure.  Obviously.

What is the point of this argument? Primaris is a marketing gimmick to resell the most commonly collected army. In "reality" the risk of the surgery is zero percent, as no named character is going to go oopsie on the operating table unless they want to retire the character for whatever reason. Even then, they would more likely just quietly not remake them, or give them a more heroic going out than medical malpractice.

How many nameless mooks supposedly have the procedure fail doesn't change anything. There will still canonically be FB in all of the chapters as long as the Tactical Box is a good seller. As soon as they pull that because it's not a big seller anymore, or some MBA has a bright idea while yanking it in the HQ restrooms, it will be all Primaris. The in-universe logic of it is all totally irrelevant to GW. It's like how no matter how many times the Traitor Legions are defeated, they always manage to bring together a meaningful force for the next Black Crusade because that keeps the plot going, or how the Red Corsairs have somehow assembled a Legion sized force in maybe a century. It's all made up, and the points don't matter.

You know what would be great? if we could stick to NOVA teasing and predictions and not continue 2 pages of discussing minutia on how deadly crossing the rubicon is or isnt and gravis vs termies are they the same. kthx 

2 hours ago, TheMawr said:

40kRE.thumb.jpg.382d24d0530573f35614fc09a12cc899.jpg

I think there are a couple of black library character minis here. 

Do they get shown at NOVA? 

The Ork Shock gun is exactly as used by the lead Ork from book Brutal Kunnin - ripped off a shock-jump dragster.

My hunch is the guard ones are the base for a Commissar Cain mini - or possibly Ratling Baggit from Wraithbone Phoenix.

Now the mystery hand, I'm convinced is a Zoat, which I really hope we do see.

1 hour ago, lansalt said:

The current HH MKIII tactical squad has just vanished from GW's site, so I think it's safe to say that the new version of MkIII will be featured at NOVA.

At least they could have warned us and do a LCTB, I wanted to get a box before they were gone.

Wish they wouldn't do that. You might be able to find some in stock at 3rd Party sellers websites though, some of them keep Direct-Only stuff in stock in small quantities.

I think I’m most looking forward to seeing the Terminator MP’s I’ve been dying to start a Terminator Strike Force since they were unveiled! The rumoured Terminator Chaplain with the SS sounds like it could be a winner too 

3 hours ago, lansalt said:

The current HH MKIII tactical squad has just vanished from GW's site, so I think it's safe to say that the new version of MkIII will be featured at NOVA.

At least they could have warned us and do a LCTB, I wanted to get a box before they were gone.

https://thecombatcompany.com/products/mk-iii-tactical-squad?_pos=2&_sid=ce406cc6a&_ss=r

5 boxes still available. 

On 8/23/2023 at 6:20 PM, Noserenda said:

Yeah latest novels im pretty sure have said its essentially a basic operation now

At this point the Apothecaries treat the marines getting it as day patients and tell them not to bring an overnight bag.

Since the old kit is completely gone now it will be interesting how they will do the Legion specific forgeworld kits that use the old MKIII as base such as the Templar Brethren.

I would be surprised if the new MKIII are different than the MKVI and have a split legs/torso so you shouldn't be able to use the upgrade kit with the new kit.
The question is whether they redo the resin kits so they fit the new MKIII or they just throw out half the kit like with the Contemptors and only sell the arms now

Edited by Matrindur

3 hours ago, Matrindur said:

Since the old kit is completely gone now it will be interesting how they will do the Legion specific forgeworld kits that use the old MKIII as base such as the Templar Brethren.

I would be surprised if the new MKIII are different than the MKVI and have a split legs/torso so you shouldn't be able to use the upgrade kit with the new kit.
The question is whether they redo the resin kits so they fit the new MKIII or they just throw out half the kit like with the Contemptors and only sell the arms now

In fairness, it’s only the plastic set that has been removed from the web store. The resin kits for Breachers and Despoilers are still available on Forgeworld.

In your example, the Legion specific kits like Templar Brethren use Despoilers as the base, not the plastic MkIII kit.

Fingers crossed that’s how it stays as well. 

1 hour ago, Sky Potato said:

In fairness, it’s only the plastic set that has been removed from the web store. The resin kits for Breachers and Despoilers are still available on Forgeworld.

In your example, the Legion specific kits like Templar Brethren use Despoilers as the base, not the plastic MkIII kit.

Fingers crossed that’s how it stays as well. 

You're right didn't think about that.

Looked over everything again and I think the SW Grey slayer packs are supposed to go on the plastic MKIII but the only reason I can see to not just use the resin Despoilers is the backpack banner which needs the wider backpack mount space. Not that hard to solve.

There a few more sets for MKIV but most are melee so better with the resin Despoiler bodies anyway.

The only ranged MKIV unit that is an upgrade kit are the AL Headhunters. They don't include arms so can't use the despoilers and it is very likely not going to be compatible with a new MKIV kit based on how they did MKVI. 

Also the Graviton Gun set which would need arms that fit

Edited by Matrindur