Legions Imperialis: The Great Slaughter

1 hour ago, Redcomet said:

Where said growth had the potential to go away once the world returned to normal. In a world where supply chains have been disrupted time and time again.

IIRC, the only time GW has lost money and had real trouble was when their expansion and huge investment on LOTR products suddenly saw a big drop in sales in the mid 2000s. That probably has conditioned them to be very careful to this day.

Correct, you are. :laugh:

Really looking forward to this game having masses of Super Heavies on both sides of the table. 

Fellblades and Falchions will likely come 2 to a box should they become a thing, you're gonna need 4 or 6 of each.

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

I’m actually surprised that they haven’t jumped across the pond to open a production facility in the US, considering we’re either the largest or second largest market for the product. I do know that they opened a distribution center here a few years ago, which has helped alleviate shipping times with FW product at the very least. 

Its because its not economical to make copies of most plastic moulds, so anything they make on either continent would have to be shipped both ways anyway, kinda nullifying any benefits unless like all the Eldar fans are North American or something.

I could see resin production going somewhere else again though? 

Also some moulds got damaged being moved by roads once and they are super worried itll happen again so im told they avoid it?

46 minutes ago, DuskRaider said:

I’m actually surprised that they haven’t jumped across the pond to open a production facility in the US, considering we’re either the largest or second largest market for the product. I do know that they opened a distribution center here a few years ago, which has helped alleviate shipping times with FW product at the very least. 

They've apparently looked at it, but it was too expensive/too high a risk in duplicating all the moulds or routinely shipping them across. Additionally Nottingham has become a world centre of excellence for this kind of production, so you'd be wanting to import a lot of staff over as well or make do without having much in the way of an easily accessible pool of skilled workers (and all the support too that you might not have in house).

I expect it will happen at some point, particularly if the Amazon partnership continues to raise the brand awareness over there, but perhaps after the next stage of UK production expands - more of a 5-10 year window than anything imminent.

Edited by Tastyfish

1 hour ago, Noserenda said:

Its because its not economical to make copies of most plastic moulds, so anything they make on either continent would have to be shipped both ways anyway, kinda nullifying any benefits unless like all the Eldar fans are North American or something.

I could see resin production going somewhere else again though? 

Also some moulds got damaged being moved by roads once and they are super worried itll happen again so im told they avoid it?

Some companies do that, but it depends on volume and consistency. BMW for instance manufactures all their SUV-style vehicles in South Carolina in the US, then swaps them at the port for the cars made in Europe, taking the other type back on the return trip.

Not sure GW makes enough volume for shipping to make that worth their time.

I was on ImportYeti today after finding out Stanley cups are essentially free if you buy two hundred at once and searched GW

It looks like GWs supply chain doesn’t go around Africa at all. It goes from China to LA to Memphis to Savannah/Charleston then onto the UK. 

54 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

I was on ImportYeti today after finding out Stanley cups are essentially free if you buy two hundred at once and searched GW

It looks like GWs supply chain doesn’t go around Africa at all. It goes from China to LA to Memphis to Savannah/Charleston then onto the UK. 

So that's what all those trucks and trains are carrying, cardboard and terrain for wargames :biggrin:

There's so much shipping going through Charleston now. It was odd when at one point I might have been in Europe for work, and it would have been cheaper to ship my car there than to have it sent to the West Coast.

That said, moving back to the book in particular, I do love some beta garmon. Looking forward to checking it out.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

3 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Some companies do that, but it depends on volume and consistency. BMW for instance manufactures all their SUV-style vehicles in South Carolina in the US, then swaps them at the port for the cars made in Europe, taking the other type back on the return trip.

Not sure GW makes enough volume for shipping to make that worth their time.

That makes me wonder if there’s an import tariff on SUVs like there are trucks and that’s the reason they do that. That’s the reason companies like Nissan, Toyota and I believe Honda manufacture their trucks in the US. 

6 hours ago, Black Cohort said:

It seems weird that Nottingham would shut down GW building more facilities locally.  Normally city councils would be :cuss: themselves with glee if a local company wanted to expand a production facility and create more jobs.

Becuase I can't see that Nottingham did?

This is a list of all of GW's planning apps at Lenton dating back to 1992: Search Results (nottinghamcity.gov.uk)

Following a cursory glance, I can't see any that would be a rejected factory extension. In 2018 they applied for extension of the industrial building and that was conditionally granted.

Site
This application site is located on Willow Road in the Lenton area of Nottingham. The site is currently vacant but the building was previously used under class use B2 (General Industry). Willow Road is predominantly an industrial estate with similar uses to the adjacent sites. It is adjoined by
the River Leen to the east and train lines to the north.
The site contained an office to the front, a factory in the centre and large warehouse to the rear.
The original warehouse had been extended recently.

Proposal
The applicants are seeking planning permission to construct a warehouse / production facilities plus office space and a tool storage room.
A planning permission was granted under 17/02832/PFUL3 for the first stage of the redevelopment of the site (phase1). It was to demolish the poor-quality offices and factory on the front of the site, and re clad the retained part of the building for the same industrial use. These works are now on site due to be completed in August 2018.

This application includes second phase of the redevelopment of the site with a four stories office building and additional warehouse/production facilities. A central service core would be provided to the corner to incorporate a lift, staircase and WC facilities etc. The offices would predominantly be located to the top two floors with the bottom area left open as part of the warehouse / production facility. The warehouse facility would have an overall height of 11m. The new office building would be 12m tall and comprise of Tata Steel composite flat panel cladding.
The tool store located to the rear of the site would be a detached building with an eaves height of 4m and a pitched roof. The building would include a blockwork cavity wall clad externally with a layer of cladding to match the main buildings. The building would house the tooling equipment and is to be kept slightly separate to prevent any risk of fire spreading to this building etc.
To the rear two new silos would be installed to hold plastic pellets ready for the injection moulding machines. Each silo is 3.5m in diameter and 10m tall and match the pair of silos located on the main Games Workshop site next door.

Statement Required by Article 35 of the Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2015
In granting planning permission for the development, the Local Planning Authority has worked with the applicant in a positive and proactive manner. In order to address identified problems with the original proposal, further information have been sought to overcome these problems.

Edited by Sword Brother Adelard
Added a quote from the planning approval

I have zero evidence to back this up, other than collected rumours from this forum.

Wasn’t the bottleneck at Lenton power related and not floor space?

As in, GW were asking the council and the electric board to provide more electric into their factory in order run more machines for longer, but the requested electric infrastructure upgrades were turned down.

Again, I have no evidence for any of this.

16 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

GW were going to build a factory and couldn't in Nottingham. They had the investment ready to go but Nottingham Council wouldn't allow it.

So this doesn't appear to have anything to do with their company struggling after their explosive growth.

And besides, growth and record profits every year should mean they're in a better place to invest for the future.

Sure I see elements that might be out of their control, like global shipping issues and certain resource supply concerns.

However, building a factory someone else in the UK would have resolved a lot of these issues or lessened their impact. Instead of just putting your hands up and saying "we can't build a factory because the council said no" they should have thought about Manchester. Or Birmingham. Or anywhere in the UK really.

Its worse than that. They have actually built the factory. But can’t run it as the grid can’t support it or it will brown out a hospital. GW are in a legal battle with the power company and the city council 

11 hours ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Maybe those spy balloons were just carrying stuff for GW :)

Being wildly anecdotal maybe GW need to divert more stock to online sale from their own physical stores (for new releases) or maybe thats part of the reason behind 2 week pre order windows

I can see the Slaughter book, and Auxilia artillery, selling out quicker than Erebus but the fast attack boxes sticking around

12 minutes ago, Dark Shepherd said:

Maybe those spy balloons were just carrying stuff for GW :)

Being wildly anecdotal maybe GW need to divert more stock to online sale from their own physical stores (for new releases) or maybe thats part of the reason behind 2 week pre order windows

I can see the Slaughter book, and Auxilia artillery, selling out quicker than Erebus but the fast attack boxes sticking around

..."selling out quicker than Ereus..."

That made my day!

Quote from GW on removing their own expansion:

"We decided not to expand our manufacturing footprint further during this year, instead focusing our energy on improving our capabilities and efficiencies using the world class equipment and people we already have…. We continue to plan ahead and are ready to build an additional manufacturing facility on this land when it is required. We currently have spare capacity.”

So if it's not the council, it's just poor decision making then :laugh:

50 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

Quote from GW on removing their own expansion:

"We decided not to expand our manufacturing footprint further during this year, instead focusing our energy on improving our capabilities and efficiencies using the world class equipment and people we already have…. We continue to plan ahead and are ready to build an additional manufacturing facility on this land when it is required. We currently have spare capacity.”

So if it's not the council, it's just poor decision making then :laugh:

Honestly, GW leadership going "nah, we got this," when they consistently cannot produce enough product for their initial demand is pretty on brand.

Moving more accurately to the topic at hand... do we have a list of what is in this supplement release coming?

The article implies it is more than just Jetbikes, Bikes and Land Speeders, with mention of light tanks and we've seen those Spartans before.

1 hour ago, Captain Idaho said:

Moving more accurately to the topic at hand... do we have a list of what is in this supplement release coming?

The article implies it is more than just Jetbikes, Bikes and Land Speeders, with mention of light tanks and we've seen those Spartans before.

Presumably the stuff that has rules in the core rulebook but hasn't released yet will come as well.  I think that is only two boxes, the support boxes for each faction with dreadnoughts, rapiers, tarantulas and cyclops.