28 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

They advocated doubling up on terminators, not the launch box. No reason to go look for controversy 

Well, I read the article and they said it was based on 2 boxes... Not sure I'm looking for controversy so much as I walked into it by reading what they published... I don't think I've misinterpreted what they've said there have I.

23 minutes ago, Handsome Fred said:

I got it but I can't see confirmation about those points aren't like last time (tyr codex preview or br I don't remember) just old points and not from the new mfm 

It's as confirmed as any Warcom article can be :wink::woot:. Interestingly if you take the "new" points the Battle Report is Deathwing 785pts v Chaos 725pts but if you use the "old" points its closer as the Deathwing is 720pts :confused:

4 hours ago, Blindhamster said:

Weapons

Deathwing knight power weapons: 5 attacks, hitting on 2s, strength 6, -2 AP and 1 damage

Are you sure about those stats? If those are correct, DWKs have taken a massive cut in their killing power. In the Index they had:

Mace of Absolution: 4 attacks, hitting on 2s, strength 6, -1 AP and 3 damage

Dropping from 3 damage to 1 is a massive nerf against everything except 1 Wound infantry. 

If those stats are correct then I think DWKs are dead-on-arrival, especially when you take into account their price has gone up to 290 points per squad.  Deeply unimpressed if that is correct.

8 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

Are you sure about those stats? If those are correct, DWKs have taken a massive cut in their killing power. In the Index they had:

Dropping from 3 damage to 1 is a massive nerf against everything except 1 Wound infantry. 

If those stats are correct then I think DWKs are dead-on-arrival, especially when you take into account their price has gone up to 290 points per squad.  Deeply unimpressed if that is correct.

100%

32 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

Surely that's a misprint.

10 hours ago, irlLordy said:

Sure, unless you wanted your chapter specific characters I guess. It does feel a bit like Space Marines get to double up on some detachments though, theres 2 bike focused detachments for space marines, (presumably) 2 veteran focused detachments, which will only increase as more divergent chapter supplements get released. 

I would have thought the divergent chapters would focus more on the actual chapter specific units than being more generic like the ravenwing one here. Nids got a detachment focussed around 4 units for example. Maybe that will be the case for the likes of the BA death company focussed detachment.

The other interesting thing is seeing conditional battleline units based on detachment. This is a great idea, kinda surprised it wasn't in some of the codexes already, e.g. skorpekh destroyers and flayed ones being battleline in an anihilation legion detachment.

I think the non-Dark Angel Chapter-specific characters all lean into play styles best offered by Codex detachments. Ravenwing really leans into Ravenwing units and actually offers enough variety of mounted units to be worthwhile. Advance/Fallback -and-fire is meaningfully different from the Stormlance advance-and-charge because it is more useful for Land Speeders and Speeder-like vehicles and Flyers, of which the Ravenwing have many. That is the stress on Dark Angel unique units. Similarly, Inner Circle Task force doesn't have the battleline exception so there becomes a need to take the Dark Angel unique units to have more than three Terminator-equipped squads. The units are expensive enough to make a Pure Terminator Force at 2100 points for 3x 10-Deathwing Terminators and 3x 5-Deathwing Knights. Ravenwing cannot do a Pure Biker force at that level with the rule of three. Three full squads of Outriders(+ATV) and three full squads of Black Knights are only 1440. Not a huge deal and easily fillable with other units, but if the designers wanted only bikes to be possible.... I'm guessing that they didn't want only a single type of Destroyer army to be a thing, but you can run a 2000 point army using rule of three on a mix of different types of Destroyers and/or Flayers :huh:

The stress on mounted units in Stormlance strats means there is room for meaningful difference in a Blood Angel detachment with advance-and-charge by having Jumppack dependent strats.

5 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

It's in the segment where they show off the list

yHl8DBhJJrtqS0th.jpg

This is a really good example of why the Deathwing don't need battleline. 

1 hour ago, crimsondave said:

Just watched the batrep.  If their maces don't have an alternate profile, Knights are garbage.

How does one access this battle report? As someone with 33 Deathwing Terminators I'm curious.

4 hours ago, crimsondave said:

Just watched the batrep.  If their maces don't have an alternate profile, Knights are garbage.

1 hour ago, Balthamal said:

So looking at that, in the absence of strats/relics, the DWK are there to tank a bucket load of wounds for a character or chew through chaff hordes. Not really what I'd expect of them tbh

I wonder if the Inner Circle Companions are meant to fill the roll of multiple damage melee? The name implies they're Inner Circle, but then again they might not be DEATHWING which is what matters.

16 minutes ago, jaxom said:

I wonder if the Inner Circle Companions are meant to fill the roll of multiple damage melee? The name implies they're Inner Circle, but then again they might not be DEATHWING which is what matters.

They are DA unique equivalent of company heroes.

1 minute ago, Tokugawa said:

They are DA unique equivalent of company heroes.

So I'm guessing that means unlikely to have the DEATHWING keyword? Probably only on Terminator equipped models?

I'm a bit annoyed at myself. My hobby pile is large, I don't really need more Terminators because I have a bunch of the old ones for my Dark Angels. But... I'm actually a little excited for the release based on what I've seen.

1 hour ago, jaxom said:

So I'm guessing that means unlikely to have the DEATHWING keyword? Probably only on Terminator equipped models?

I'm a bit annoyed at myself. My hobby pile is large, I don't really need more Terminators because I have a bunch of the old ones for my Dark Angels. But... I'm actually a little excited for the release based on what I've seen.

From the WHC article

IMG_20240118_030341.jpg.ab060224cb1c68fb68678557879e62bd.jpg

The Companions certainly fit the definition of veterans, but we'll have to wait for the supplement to know for sure, although we now know that Deathwing isn't only Terminators.

Edited by mecanojavi99