This might actually get me into HH. I hate Marines but these guys are pretty dope.

I’m wondering if two boxes would give me enough to make an HH starter force that can also be used as Brood Brothers for GSC or some form of militia foot troops for my fluffy Imperial Knights.

Possibly swap some models heads to COS helmets for the IK ones. Magnetised heads a step too far? :biggrin: And perhaps swappable shields or icons?

Hmm just noticed they changed the magazine for the lasrifle as well. Seems a bit of a weird change. 

edit: Though that might be the hotshot upgrades being shown as you can see the original magazine underneath it. 

edit 2: That seems to be it as the tactical command trooper does have the original magazine design. 

image.png.9d4907ebdc47af6db66f4b04dc9ab5f7.png

Edited by Matcap86

No personal interest in getting some but i think this a much bigger/better showing than I expected for Solar Auxilia at the first pass, and they look great too.

In some ways I respect how with the Leman Russ the really leant in to the Heresy aesthetic instead of setting themselves up to double-dip with 40k, but also am somewhat disappointed by the same. Hopefully the 40K Russ gets it's own remake to align slightly better with the design of the Dorn.

5 minutes ago, grailkeeper said:

They strike me as hard to convert. You swap the head on a cadian and you can have a completely different regiment. Not so much with these guys.

Depends on the neck joint tbf - might be able to get some of the Cadian bare heads to fit with just a little bit of work?

Sooo another thing: By the looks of the emblems on the shoulders of the minis and the tanks we might well get a rerelease of the fantastic Solar Auxilia transfer sheet. Or at least a new one. 

Way more than I expected from this. Very impressed with this release. The tanks in particular are awesome. Love the new Russ (really thought they'd leave those as upgrade bits). 

A full army is probably a stretch, but I can see me building an allied detachment for my existing HH armies. Mainly an excuse for a Dracosan tbh

Just one thing to note for the Leman Russ - in line with HH rules, there are no sponsons on the new model, which limits its effectiveness significantly in 40k (especially as you're now forced to pay for the sponsons irrespective of whether you want them or not.)

However, ongoing annoyances about the cross-compatibility of kits between Heresy & 40k - which is, at this stage, just a fact - the kits themselves are absolutely great and the opportunity for easy to build, non-power armoured armies in Heresy can only be a good thing! 

58 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

No personal interest in getting some but i think this a much bigger/better showing than I expected for Solar Auxilia at the first pass, and they look great too.

In some ways I respect how with the Leman Russ the really leant in to the Heresy aesthetic instead of setting themselves up to double-dip with 40k, but also am somewhat disappointed by the same. Hopefully the 40K Russ gets it's own remake to align slightly better with the design of the Dorn.

Yeah, I feel like some of the classic 40k tank kits are approaching being the oldest left in the range... I know the (40k era) Land Raider is two decades old, while the Russ had some parts/renewal technically done in 2009?, but as far as I understand it, it was pretty much identical (though built differently?) with what came before it? Which came out in the 90's?

Vehicles are some of the best aged 40k kits so its perhaps no surprise they don't get prioritized for updating, but they'll have to get to them eventually... right? If for nothing else to upgrade the crew models.

The SA Russ's aesthetic can work in some 40k era regiments / armies, but not all I feel.

12 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Yeah, I feel like some of the classic 40k tank kits are approaching being the oldest left in the range... I know the (40k era) Land Raider is two decades old, while the Russ had some parts/renewal technically done in 2009?, but as far as I understand it, it was pretty much identical (though built differently?) with what came before it? Which came out in the 90's?

Vehicles are some of the best aged 40k kits so its perhaps no surprise they don't get prioritized for updating, but they'll have to get to them eventually... right? If for nothing else to upgrade the crew models.

The SA Russ's aesthetic can work in some 40k era regiments / armies, but not all I feel.

Yeah, other than the engine exhausts and I *think* some slight differences at the front of the hull. I've got a 90s and 2010s one, and those are the only differences I've noted.

37 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Nah, there's definite visual differences between the OG russ and the 2009. Turret is the main one, but the lower front hull, as well as the engine block is asymmetrical on the original. There was a stowage bin next to the engine vent. The turret had taller flatter sides, with a target box on the turrets left side. The side hatches also had hinges.

Then there's some real jank stuff on the new one like the cupola being just extruded out of the top of the turret.

Honestly the current AM Russ is my least liked rendition of it, so keen to see a new contender. (40k player will probably not get this due to the apparent lack of sponsons).
Although I still prefer the Krieg Alpha to this, it's still really cool.

2 hours ago, grailkeeper said:

They strike me as hard to convert. You swap the head on a cadian and you can have a completely different regiment. Not so much with these guys.

Well these minis represent a type of Imperial army soldier rather then a regiment like for 40k IG, for SA regiments you would not need to change anything on the mini, just colours and transfers.   

Theoretically any regiment following the SA model should look identical but for color scheme/emblems. Otherwise they are just Imperial army void troops, but not SA IIRC.

3 hours ago, Matcap86 said:

Only downgrade IMHO is the veletaris section. The helmets seem off to me compared to the old ones, but can't quite put my finger on it. 

Yeah, the more I look at them, the less I like them.

The new helmets are a weird shape, much narrow visor, missing all the little details on the sides.

The overall proportions are a little scuffed. 

image.thumb.png.fec8a12e4c3158a8a4370d66955d5cab.png

Cool range. The Russ update is nice, I'm glad it has a bit of extra clearance around the tracks and I would like to see it in a camo scheme that doesn't pick out all the rivets and decoration.   Sad it doesn't quite work with the current 40k rules.   I'm not really in the market for another 30k army until I get the line troops I want to finish my ultramarines, but I can't begrudge the release of cool non-marine infantry models.

2 hours ago, Astartes Consul said:

Question for the B&C Hive Mind, is this the first balding figure we've had in plastic from GW? Commitment to the representation of the full human experience off the charts.

Balding figures were in the Fantasy Empire plastic range for decades.

I like them, I really like the storm section but not sure I would want an army. I think allied detachment may work for me. Shame we didn't see the baby sentinels.

2 hours ago, Astartes Consul said:

Question for the B&C Hive Mind, is this the first balding figure we've had in plastic from GW? Commitment to the representation of the full human experience off the charts.

I think they are going for a Napoleonic feel but it is an odd choice. I think I would prefer a full bald look but I may be self inserting there! :laugh:

As somebody with a decent sized collection already (thus the name) I'm not sure how I feel about the semi-redesign.

Obviously sacrifices were going to have to be made for plastification and that's apparent here. I think the Lasrifle Section made out of it the best, though I really dislike the elongated magazines. Maybe they're a visual option to represent Blast Charges? 

The Veletarii though, ohhhh boy. I usually dislike when people say "they look like a knockoff STL design" and maybe it's the 'Eavy Metal paintjob making it worse, but they really do in this case, especially when there was a 'somewhat close knockoff' STL floating around for a while. Again, sacrifices obviously had to be made going from resin to plastic, but they've become noticeably bulkier and something about the helmets just seems off to me.

Malcador and Dracosans are pretty much 1:1 as expected, cool. I'm surprised how much I dislike the excessive trim on the Leman Russ as somebody who was praying for years we'd get an 'SAified' one instead of just the (Krieg) Mars-Pattern as a stand-in. Now it's here I'm worried it looks a little busy, but I think that's just the presence of the extremely trimmed Dozer Blade throwing it off.

Aethon looks pretty good but we already knew what that was going to look like. No mention in the article of the dual-kit people were theorised with the little walker thingies and it does seem (off the top of my head) like the Aethon was always going to be bigger? 

As somebody who was debating starting a second Solar Auxilia force to stan the Traitors instead... ehhhh...? It's a step down in my opinion, albeit not a massive one, though being plastic and (much) cheaper is obviously going to be preferred of the options by the vast majority of people. I don't hate them. The shift to somehow being less detailed but also busier isn't one I'm thrilled about - if it wasn't broke they shouldn't have tried to fix it and the SA designs were absolutely perfect - but it is what it is. 

Edited by Lord Marshal

4 hours ago, MithrilForge said:

Oh cool, since I have no intention to ever do 30k armies ….now I can finally make my quasi - “brotherhood of steel”  40K Guard army , in plastic :wub:

GW have said SA will not be getting rules for 40K but I am sure a lot of people are planning to just run them as Guard like you.

This range is absolutely spectacular. 

I would love for them to have 40k rules. Isn't this faction technically still around in 40k as the regiments of Terra and the various planets in the Solar System?

I know they have a different organisation, but are they visually completely different?