9 minutes ago, Orion said:

Still not a fan of the outcome of the storm section, but that must be pretty frustrating for Steve.

No wonder he looks particularly awkward. I wonder what he's supposed to look like.

Can't find the comment but I think he said the actual body meant for the sergeant was the one with the vexilla so this one

image.thumb.png.b34a8d8ba894f1055be7aebbfdbf046e.png

Edited by Matrindur

31 minutes ago, Orion said:

Interesting quote by the sculptor

image.png.5698f53da629fc5cc44e34108bb4d13e.png

Still not a fan of the outcome of the storm section, but that must be pretty frustrating for Steve.

No wonder he looks particularly awkward. I wonder what he's supposed to look like.

Honestly as big fan of Steve's Ultramodern work and his Necromunda stuff, every time I posts about his more mainline sculpts he seems bummed out about them overall. Have to wonder if that's why he only lasted 3 years in GWs system. 

1 hour ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Considering he immediately went out and did puffy sleeve scouts, ratskins, and thunder warriors it might just be a creative vision thing. 

Sometimes creatives and devs don't vibe with the reality that there's things you have to get done, even if it's not your vision of what you want to do. You can do those things, but you have to navigate through and do the things you're supposed to do, and sprinkle some of that in between things, or pitch something you want to get done as part of something deemed important. Going off to do your own thing is the right thing to do if that's not how you want to work, and you want to be in full control of what you make.

52 minutes ago, de Selby said:

When did he leave GW? Interesting from the POV of lead times/planning.

Last Spring, he mentioned they were crunched to finish these and they were his last project 

2 hours ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Considering he immediately went out and did puffy sleeve scouts, ratskins, and thunder warriors it might just be a creative vision thing. 

There have been references to him being 'allowed to keep' sculpts that were not picked up for production, so the separation appears to have been at least some way friendly.

I'm still waiting on 3 Pisceans from his Kickstarter... Looking forward to those; interesting to know that this was one of his projects inside GW

More broadly - definitely Interested in lasrifle section for 40k, and I'd probably do a Malcador before a Dorn tbf on looks alone.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

The Malcador is definitely going to replace a lot of Dorn’s on the table. While I don’t hate the Dorn, it’s been an extremely long time since the GWDS sculptors made a tank that was really well like by the majority of people. The SGDS sculptors stayed true to the existing design language and people are pretty stoked for the new Russ and Malcador. Maybe if they had just done the Macharius in plastic instead of trying to create something from scratch you wouldn’t see so many people planning to replace the Dorn with a Malcador

Im just honestly glad he’s back to doing his Ultramodern work for Spectre and BSS. He wa sone of the best in the business for that and it’s nice having new sculpts from him.

When the full sets are released, I'll be asking people how I can use them to accurately represent Astra Miliatarum in 40k. I really hope they release a Baneblade kit in the style of the 30k tanks also.

24 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

how I can use them to accurately represent Astra Miliatarum in 40k

I think the closest would be to use them as Scions given their elite status and better lasguns and armour. The Taurox even appears in one of the Siege novels.

2 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

When the full sets are released, I'll be asking people how I can use them to accurately represent Astra Miliatarum in 40k. I really hope they release a Baneblade kit in the style of the 30k tanks also.

If the Legiones Imperialis are anything to judge by, then the Auxilia Bameblade should not be far behind. A fat bunch of roughly 500 points to expand every list.

On 1/21/2024 at 3:58 PM, Vazzy said:

Honestly as big fan of Steve's Ultramodern work and his Necromunda stuff, every time I posts about his more mainline sculpts he seems bummed out about them overall. Have to wonder if that's why he only lasted 3 years in GWs system. 

It's hard not to be as an artist when you are working in the standards of an inferior medium like plastic. I know there's alot of resin hate here cuase people can't bothered to take extra steps but you only need to look at the 1.0 models and anything really well done in 3d printing to see that the medium is very limiting. Maybe if people were less critical and understood the sacrifice it takes to shift these extremely detailed models into a more easy to work with material he'd feel more proud of his work cuase to me someone who dabbles in design this is brilliant. You can't have your cake and eat it too and this is better than I figured it would be to be honest.

20 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Plastic isn’t an inferior medium, he said they could be as detailed but the part count was too high. 

Even if plastic as a material itself might be fine, you can't just separate the material from the casting process. If you need 10 times the parts to get the same details then at least the casting process is inferior (in term of details) which in turn makes the material inferior (again in terms of details)

Plastic has other reasons why its the preferred material (ease of use, cost) for many people, me included, but just saying "if we use an unrealistic number of parts it would be the same" isn't actually making it better.

Personally I care more about the better price and ease of use than the lost details so I would always choose plastic but for example if they made a plastic kit that has 50 parts per model (which I think was what he said would be necessary to get the same details) and that costs the same as the resin version because of that, I don't think it would be well received.

Would be the same problem as many seem to have with the new Legions Imperialis models where they just have more parts than many want to glue together for such a small model.

I'm sure if both kits cost the same and have the same details, many would choose resin over a 50 parts per 32mm model plastic kit simply because the ease of use of plastic gets negated by the number of parts

On 1/21/2024 at 11:58 PM, Vazzy said:

Steve actually worked for GW back in the early 2000s for a while too. He has been featured in WD battle reports... A big ork thing, IIRC

6 hours ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Plastic isn’t an inferior medium, he said they could be as detailed but the part count was too high. 

hmm.. from the thread there sounds to be a lot of "he wants other elements to adapt to him" things.

I mean two reactions from him on the storm section is "they assembled it wrong" and "the material wasnt right".. that are rather weak excuses if Im being blunt.

Its not as if the leader is the only weak link in the unit and as for plastic, I think you can definitely keep a good amount of details in plastic, you might have to adapt, reanalyse and in general put some minimal work/effort into it, like most people having a job, but a lot of other plastic miniatures ( including low part ETB ones) show it can be done, nothing about plastic explains the result.  Its not as if these storm section are the peak of what can be achieved in plastic and the most detailed plastic miniatures we have, very very far from it.

edit : As it would be otherwise offtopic, but damn shame that Piscean from him wasnt picked up, thats possibly my favorite re interpretation of it. Might need to get it when its normally available.

Edited by TheMawr

Not seen anyone acknowledge this, but the Sol Aux riflemen are primarily gaming pieces that you are possibly to have 100+ of in an average army. 

People griped enough when having to stick two pieces of a shoulder pad together on the Mk6, let alone a hot mess of ti8ny components and stuff that snaps off.

The choice to prioritise the ease-of-build and simplicity in painting of the Sol Aux core troops seems to me like a realistic balance of attributes for real life usage. 

As a sculptor you might not see this. As a gamer, you do. 

I would rather have less detail, and plastic. Then a million bits to paint and resin to fight with. 

They are now easier to work with and easier to paint.

win win for me.

GW models are reaching a point where the basic troop minis are often far too detail laden. While that may be fun as a sculptor, not fin as a gamer if you have to paint 100 of them.

Edited by Redcomet

1 hour ago, Redcomet said:

I would rather have less detail, and plastic. Then a million bits to paint and resin to fight with. 

They are now easier to work with and easier to paint.

win win for me.

GW models are reaching a point where the basic troop minis are often far too detail laden. While that may be fun as a sculptor, not fin as a gamer if you have to paint 100 of them.

This is why my slaaneshi mortals aren't painted. Primarch level detail on fodder isn't conducive to painting. Especially when my 'style' is rapid.