37 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

I would rather have less detail, and plastic. Then a million bits to paint and resin to fight with. 

They are now easier to work with and easier to paint.

win win for me.

GW models are reaching a point where the basic troop minis are often far too detail laden. While that may be fun as a sculptor, not fin as a gamer if you have to paint 100 of them.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I vastly prefer the level of detail we have nowadays. Makes the painting and end result much more enjoyable. 

16 minutes ago, Cryptix said:

The funny thing is, if you ain't a fan of painting tiny details, have fun painting the trim on the SA vehicles :teehee:

That's why drybrushing exists.

17 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

It's hard not to be as an artist when you are working in the standards of an inferior medium like plastic. I know there's alot of resin hate here cuase people can't bothered to take extra steps but you only need to look at the 1.0 models and anything really well done in 3d printing to see that the medium is very limiting. Maybe if people were less critical and understood the sacrifice it takes to shift these extremely detailed models into a more easy to work with material he'd feel more proud of his work cuase to me someone who dabbles in design this is brilliant. You can't have your cake and eat it too and this is better than I figured it would be to be honest.

Don’t get me wrong I love plastics but his resin stuff blows this out of the water. For example, his task force stuff for Spectre has insane detail but wouldn’t be possible in plastic. 

Steve is a good dude and he’s always done right by me but having spoken with him on many occasions and as part of beta testing for Spectre 3.0 he is very prickly.

I think a lot of people are overthinking "painting the details".

Like as long as you give them some definition, they're not going anywhere if you give them a simplistic paintjob. Airbrush, dry brush, wash, whatever.

If anything having a lot of sculpted detail can make your life easier. Less faffing about with recess washes and highlights, because the details are more defined in the first place.

33 minutes ago, MegaVolt87 said:

Your SA tanks with all that trim will look just fine not painting it with a bit of light weathering + dry brushing. 

I dunno dude.

Broad strokes toning all the detail that is there

image.thumb.jpeg.a8298bf2724de36cc00c81dcb7a6c744.jpeg

Vs painting every rivet

image.thumb.png.1c5f15c84998f63cb3bc4e69b827f439.png

Even infantry details (which was more of the topic of conversation in the first place) can probably be thought of in two parts.

Hard parts vs soft parts.

Image references

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer30k/comments/17ik57y/first_coat_for_some_solar_auxilia_armor_detachment/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer30k/comments/17ik57y/first_coat_for_some_solar_auxilia_armor_detachment/

Edited by Orion

8 hours ago, Cryptix said:

The funny thing is, if you ain't a fan of painting tiny details, have fun painting the trim on the SA vehicles :teehee:

Difference I find with tanks is that something like that trim doesn't look out of place if painted the same colour as the panels.  It's a metal trim bolted to the metal armour and there are plenty of reasons it would just be painted the same colour and not picked out as trim.  So it doesn't add anytime if you go down that route.

Infantry on the other hand different details tend to be different materials, leather, cloth, metal, wood etc.  So as you add more details you have to add on more colours as it would look odd for cloth and metal to be painted the same for example.  Changing colours for one tiny detail which then may need a different wash and highlight colour is what slows down the whole process.

1 hour ago, Nova-V said:

Difference I find with tanks is that something like that trim doesn't look out of place if painted the same colour as the panels.  It's a metal trim bolted to the metal armour and there are plenty of reasons it would just be painted the same colour and not picked out as trim.  So it doesn't add anytime if you go down that route.

Infantry on the other hand different details tend to be different materials, leather, cloth, metal, wood etc.  So as you add more details you have to add on more colours as it would look odd for cloth and metal to be painted the same for example.  Changing colours for one tiny detail which then may need a different wash and highlight colour is what slows down the whole process.

If you're purely talking in regards to efficiency that entirely depends on the breakup of materials, not how much detail there is.

And you can really break a lot of that down to the necessity of the materials themselves, like deformable vs non deformable.

image.thumb.png.3a0104ec8598635331956f2db35e03ad.png

You can have a lot more detail without actually having so separate your painting that much more.

Richard Gray is getting on the no trim auxilia for Imperialis

image.thumb.png.961502439bbc97a495bc5f1f95da76bc.png

Edited by Orion

It literally completely depends on your scheme, which means its going to change for each person.

A minimalist scheme is going to minimize the effort painting the details and still define them with a good oil/whatever wash. That's kinda the point of minimalist schemes.

But, as soon as you want to do more detailed styles, the details can add up to a frustrating amount. Especially, especially in horde infantry. This is pretty much a core frustration point with admech (as well as the keyd construction and spindly details); cheap points, high detail, high price point. 

It's fair to say that painters who lean towards schemes/techniques that emphasize details are going to be daunted by high detail mass infantry. And that a lot of people love the eavy metal/GW style and try to emulate it with at least one highlight step. 

Saying "just paint this army in a different way to how you wanted to do it to avoid worrying about the details" isn't a solution or counter argument to their concerns. 

Detail oriented painters take issue with painting actual model detail? I just find this interesting considering a large number of the same people add painting effects to create additional detail and therefore just as much work painting details that don't exist on simpler kits, which is just as much work as painting the actual details built into a kit again. Look at how people use painting effects to create a more curved mk VI breastplate that isn't there. If the details were not there, they would be complaining anyway that they need to add extra painting effects to simulate absent details. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

Looks like we might be getting a new SAified Shadowsword.

odtSO2P.jpg

Nice, where's this picture from? I know we have seen a SAified Baneblade art piece for Legions Imperialis but I haven't actually seen this picture before.

6 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

It literally completely depends on your scheme, which means its going to change for each person.

A minimalist scheme is going to minimize the effort painting the details and still define them with a good oil/whatever wash. That's kinda the point of minimalist schemes.

But, as soon as you want to do more detailed styles, the details can add up to a frustrating amount. Especially, especially in horde infantry. This is pretty much a core frustration point with admech (as well as the keyd construction and spindly details); cheap points, high detail, high price point. 

It's fair to say that painters who lean towards schemes/techniques that emphasize details are going to be daunted by high detail mass infantry. And that a lot of people love the eavy metal/GW style and try to emulate it with at least one highlight step. 

Saying "just paint this army in a different way to how you wanted to do it to avoid worrying about the details" isn't a solution or counter argument to their concerns. 

Ok, don't paint it in a different way then.

Just don't collect it. Or collect it and complain.

So many options.

Here is every SA image from the Loremaster video in one place, should be easier than scrolling through this thread:

Boxarts:

This is the cover-art of the new boxset

Spoiler

3IjMywZ.png

These are very likely Legions Imperialis boxarts but should be using 28mm models. Whether or not those also are plastic or just 3D-printed (or resin versions in case of the Arvus/Lightning) for the boxarts is another question.

Spoiler

tyLYDWi.png

JY5RzLB.png
pw76Kqu.png

Eon1o70.png

wijGT3G.png

DH9Jw9i.png

These are old artwork:

Spoiler

BswpcQl.png

wV44pmY.png

These I couldn't find online but they also seem older and the infantry still has the visible chain on the back instead of the new design so probably also old artwork:

Spoiler

kUZQU4l.png

De5bQmt.png

1LWMUML.png

These on the other hand all have the new infantry design and are pretty homogeneous so should be the boxarts for the HH versions:

Spoiler

CZnvlwg.png

WkafYWp.png

Ozwjass.png

Only one of these should be boxart as they are both for the same Strike Tank version , probably the first one. The other one could just be for a new book

mLu5Z2Q.png

soCkozR.png

And these are further artwork of different paintschemes and weapons:

Spoiler

G0ddDm1.png

x8MWimS.png

gIGTRsL.png

5MvcDgJ.png

OgsasrF.png

LJfqvsF.png

0uaDNBP.png

EMA07Et.png

4iwgZxM.png

Edited by Matrindur

Man that is a massive amount of great artwork that they showed in that video, I wonder if the new stuff is all from The Great Slauughter or perhaps also from the just announced Battle for Beta Garmon book.

Looks tremendous.

On 1/23/2024 at 6:47 PM, Cryptix said:

I know this kicked off a huge discussion/argument, but wouldn't the easiest way to be to base in whatever trim color you want, then paint in the big panels?  Way easier than trying it pick out all the trim.

That's how I'd paint Thousand Sons or Black Legion.

2 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

I know this kicked off a huge discussion/argument, but wouldn't the easiest way to be to base in whatever trim color you want, then paint in the big panels?  Way easier than trying it pick out all the trim.

That's how I'd paint Thousand Sons or Black Legion.

But then you can't easily shade the panels, and some colours don't cover well.

Can't win.