Horus Heresy: The Battle for Beta-Garmon

1 hour ago, Marshal Mittens said:

Book looks great, but those pistols and melee weapons! I think this is a preview of that kit!

Sadly, I thought it was too, but someone pointed out that it's actually from https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/Legion-MKII-Power-Weapon-Set . You can tell from the hands, especially that mace (huge and blocky).

1 hour ago, Astartes Consul said:

Mixed squads of Shattered Legions? Interesting...

Yes, straight out of the HH novels. Shadrak Meduson mixed the squads so they would have more skills available to them when committing sabotage missions. In addition the traitors wouldn´t be able to predict their moves as when they would have fought small forces made up of mono Legion marines.

55 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

I'm also a bit worried about shattered legions. Back in 2016, the leaks made them sound like they'd break the game until the campaign/narrative only line was discovered. Hoping they'll stay in that area, because they've fumbled the rules ball so often in this edition; either they'll be junk like the corrupted EC, or be dreadnought tier if allowed in standard.

If Shattered Legions were an exclusively RG/SM/IH combo (and maybe Istvaan III survivors) I'd be less worried, but I am somewhat concerned and kind of disappointed they're going back to the 1.0 route of seemingly letting you pair any combo of Legions together. I know some people liked that, but imo the Allied Detachments already did the job well enough of letting you take two Legions with reasonable restrictions.

3 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

I'm happy that blackshields are becoming playable again after...close to 2 years on ice, though I'm also concerned with the options getting gutted after what happened to daemons.

Suspect the options will get heavily cut, but IMO that probably won’t have as much of an impact on the list as it has had of daemons. An army based around quasi-Veteran squads with presumably a few optional special rules you can select or pay for when list building is still quite on brand.

15 minutes ago, KurtanionNZ said:

Do we think Blackshields will get any models or an upgrade kit of some kind? 

They will almost certainly get models for the characters mentioned, being Endryd Haar and Shadrak Meduson, all books being put out with rules get models so far in 2.0 

however more than those characters could also come, seeing as they said “characters such as…”

Edited by Deakz28

5 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Hey, my guess was spot on. Thought that BA upgrade was a bit eyebrow raising.

I bet some of the volkite pistols, thunder hammers, etc. in the blackshields unit are from the melee upgrade sprue that's on the roadmap.

Doubt it, they look exactly like the old FW upgrade kit for the different mk of armour (mk3 to be exact). The heavy chainsword is from the depoiler kit and the thunder hammer even seem to have one of the mould line defect of the resin.  

Eh. Not really excited by the choice of setting as I'm a little Beta-Garmon'd out (we'll now shortly have received BL, AT, LI, and HH coverage of the campaign) and I was never a big fan of Shattered Legions/Blackshields. It's good the latter are finally getting rules though and Little Horus likely receiving a model is an awesome prospect. Cthonia was pretty good quality so I'm sure it will be fine.

From the perpetual wanting more 3rd Legion perspective, EC were also mentioned back in 1.0 as being big into the hunter-killer operations against the Shattered Legions - the relevant ROW even required an EC character as the Warlord - so maybe I'll luck out and get some content or an upgrade pack (which I hope they speed up the roll out for all legions). Would quite like some phoenix rapiers.

3 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

If Shattered Legions were an exclusively RG/SM/IH combo (and maybe Istvaan III survivors) I'd be less worried, but I am somewhat concerned and kind of disappointed they're going back to the 1.0 route of seemingly letting you pair any combo of Legions together. I know some people liked that, but imo the Allied Detachments already did the job well enough of letting you take two Legions with reasonable restrictions.

I haven't look at the old rules in years, but I've thought that shattered legions rules could be a cool basis for a combined BA/IF/WS siege of terra army.

1 hour ago, Deakz28 said:

They will almost certainly get models for the characters mentioned, being Endryd Haar and Shadrak Meduson, all books being put out with rules get models so far in 2.0 

however more than those characters could also come, seeing as they said “characters such as…”

That's not quite true, the last book had a bunch of the exemplary battles units in and those where just converted versions of other kits.

7 minutes ago, Waaagh? said:

That's not quite true, the last book had a bunch of the exemplary battles units in and those where just converted versions of other kits.

That's not really the more comparable comparison. The better one to look at is Siege of Cthonia, where the two characters in there received new FW miniatures.

Exemplary battles books have added more Expanded units, whereas these are almost certainly to move to Core (notably Tybalt Marr and Horus Aximand, if he has a datasheet somewhere. I forget)

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

1 hour ago, Marshal Loss said:

Eh. Not really excited by the choice of setting as I'm a little Beta-Garmon'd out (we'll now shortly have received BL, AT, LI, and HH coverage of the campaign) and I was never a big fan of Shattered Legions/Blackshields. It's good the latter are finally getting rules though and Little Horus likely receiving a model is an awesome prospect. Cthonia was pretty good quality so I'm sure it will be fine.

From the perpetual wanting more 3rd Legion perspective, EC were also mentioned back in 1.0 as being big into the hunter-killer operations against the Shattered Legions - the relevant ROW even required an EC character as the Warlord - so maybe I'll luck out and get some content or an upgrade pack (which I hope they speed up the roll out for all legions). Would quite like some phoenix rapiers.

Totally understand what you're saying. I have mixed feelings on it, mostly positive though., On the one hand I have been psyched to get a new campaign book and this one even features the Blood Angels which I was hoping for, article also mentions Sanguinius and Jaghatai Khan being present. But on the other hand I immediately thought "Beta Garmon again?" after they just announced Legions Imperialis the Great Slaughter, and after we already had the AT supplement "Titandeath"?

I guess we will assume that the Warcom article is correct and this one is more focused on individual character moments, and could therefor me the best of the supplements.

I will in any case buy this and The Great Slaughter.

I know it's not Beta Garmon itself (and it's not mentioned) but do we think maybe we'll get the Horus/Russ fight?

I don't think there's enough there for it's own campaign book so I could see them rolling it in with this.

I'd love to see a Russ model with the Spear.

Edited by Hfran Morkai
I can't word good apparently

15 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Hey, my guess was spot on. Thought that BA upgrade was a bit eyebrow raising.

I bet some of the volkite pistols, thunder hammers, etc. in the blackshields unit are from the melee upgrade sprue that's on the roadmap.

Resin from the mk 3 and 4 weapons packs. Size of the hand on the power mace is the giveaway plus I imagine they'll redesign things a bit.

11 hours ago, Marshal Loss said:

Andy Hoare certainly seems to have a thing for Beta Garmon doesn’t he.

16 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

I'm gonna disagree and say that freely matching legions will help counteract the terrible allies chart. 

4 hours ago, Hungry Nostraman Lizard said:

HMMM.....

hmmm.png

I'm afraid I'm going to have to be the one voice of dissent here and say that doesn't look much like Mk5 armour to me. The helmet is debatable, but it's also pixelated to hell and back. Though it does seem to lack the distinctive Mk6 beak, that doesn't mean it's Mk5 either.

As for the rest of the armour, is this not fairly textbook Mk6? I see no leg cables, and the shin looks like a single piece to me instead of the separate kneepad of Mk5. The studded shoulder and powerpack of Mk5 are also very similar to Mk6 anyway and I feel like it would be hard to tell any meaningful difference from an image this pixelated.

I suppose I can see a dark shape between the elbow and shoulder that might be the little metal brace that you see on Mk5 arms?