Horus Heresy: The Battle for Beta-Garmon

It should also be reiterated that Mark V will require a substantial redesign to be released in plastic if they want to avoid doing split pads / shins plates. Bonding studs being the crux of the issue, ala the Mark VI pauldrons.

I'd expect Mark IV and the Terminators long before Mark V.

To me:

Shattered Legions is about post-Istvaan survivors fighting guerilla wars.

Blackshields is about forces going rogue on the fringes of the conflict, fighting their own agendas.

Beta-Garmon is a massive meat-grinder, features (IIRC) Salamanders, Imperial Fists, Blood Angels, Alpha Legion, Emperor’s Children, Sons of Horus.  So not especially Blackshields or Shattered Legions.

So all 3 are cool. The top 2, the fans definitely want. But I feel some of you need to prepare for disappointment- it may be spread thin in one book.

Edited by LameBeard
Apostrophe. There is only one Emperor, heretic!

26 minutes ago, Xenith said:

Well this is exciting. Never knew Sangy was at Beta Garmon...the BL novels seem to have him go from signus to ultramar to the siege? Oh well. I'll take BA content. Just do the IW praetor already. 

There's some very prominent scenes with him in the novel Titandeath. 

14 hours ago, Waaagh? said:

That's not quite true, the last book had a bunch of the exemplary battles units in and those where just converted versions of other kits.

14 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

That's not really the more comparable comparison. The better one to look at is Siege of Cthonia, where the two characters in there received new FW miniatures.

Exemplary battles books have added more Expanded units, whereas these are almost certainly to move to Core (notably Tybalt Marr and Horus Aximand, if he has a datasheet somewhere. I forget)

Yes sorry, I meant seeing as this is not Volume 2 of exemplary battles, and is a campaign book the same as Siege of Cthonia it will be likely to receive models. Especially since they’re named single characters and forgeworld seem to only produce those of late for Heresy 

6 minutes ago, Deakz28 said:

Yes sorry, I meant seeing as this is not Volume 2 of exemplary battles, and is a campaign book the same as Siege of Cthonia it will be likely to receive models. Especially since they’re named single characters and forgeworld seem to only produce those of late for Heresy 

Wait most of the stuff we had in the last year in resin was unnamed generic characters/consuls. The last named characters were the alpha legion sniper, Ashurhaddon and Garrius which were early 2023 iirc?

The other releases are MK VI upgrade sets, melee sets, generic consuls, generic assassins, contemptor downgrade sets etc. 

Andy gave a direct statement on the matter when the Legacies document was released for Mechanicum.

Andy: Following the release of Liber Mechanicum,* we have a selection of Expanded Unit army list entries to accompany it. As with the previously-published Legacies of the Age of Darkness – Legiones Astartes document, these entries allow players with older miniatures, or ones that aren’t really part of the core army, to continue using them. 

The intent with the Expanded Units entries is that they remain a work in progress until such time as we produce new miniatures, or re-release old ones, at which point they will be published in their final “core” form in a book.

Tybalt Marr, Shadrak Meduson, and Endryd Haar will all receive new models as they are shifting from the Legacies document into a book. Little Horus Aximand will receive one as well, as they are more intent on avoiding situations where a character goes without a model in 2E.

I'm really looking forward to this. I haven't read any Heresy novels since Angels of Caliban so I don't have the burnout that many people seem to.

I'm also really excited for Shattered Legions. I think they're a fantastic hobbying/painting theme.

10 minutes ago, Nephaston said:

If only we had examples of the mk5 redesign out and about

These examples are in resin, which has significantly different design and casting processes when compared to plastic. Simply put, the studs aren't feasible in the quantities and shapes we'd expect from Mark V unless there's a significant shift in GWs plastic casting capabilities, i.e. the introduction of slide moulding alongside / in lieu of the two-part moulds they currently use.

I wouldn't put any stock in what we see in resin translating to plastic, basically.

21 minutes ago, Joe said:

These examples are in resin, which has significantly different design and casting processes when compared to plastic. Simply put, the studs aren't feasible in the quantities and shapes we'd expect from Mark V unless there's a significant shift in GWs plastic casting capabilities, i.e. the introduction of slide moulding alongside / in lieu of the two-part moulds they currently use.

I wouldn't put any stock in what we see in resin translating to plastic, basically.

GW have the capacity to use slide moulds because of the additional costs they incur through production time (and down time) they don't commonly make use of them... They have the capacity to do dual/multi shot frames (remember the combined clear/grey objective set from a few years back) but they don't make common use of it because it slows things down a whole bunch. 

14 minutes ago, Joe said:

Fair enough. But the argument was about the Design of Mk5, not the feasibility of executing it easily between mediums.

Regarding that, I would claim that after they did the vambraces in mk3 doing the leg studs are doable in their full roundness if they cast an extra piece per leg like this picture I made after a gorillion hours in paint (see the red line).Screenshot2024-01-26145550.thumb.png.ae6fa072e75e467ea5dcae4e2cf51c84.png

Now, I can't really make a claim on how sensible this solution would be, but it is doable. Especially considering how smart the heresy sprues have been so far.
Also should they dare to skimp out on studs (the fiends!) or only have one leg on average studded up, there are options available.

Spoiler

Courtesy of Red Warden Miniatures

Mk5b-COnversion-kit.thumb.jpg.02f2aa4162990a74cde4efc71ef90980.jpg

5 minutes ago, Nephaston said:

Reveal hidden contents

Courtesy of Red Warden Miniatures

Mk5b-COnversion-kit.thumb.jpg.02f2aa4162990a74cde4efc71ef90980.jpg

Seeing how heavily annoyed people get with tiny Legion Imperialis bits, glueing on individual resin studs to plastic parts would send people to the hospital in fits I think. 

Have you guys not put together any of the Mark 6? They will simply splice the leg plates to get the round studs and we will all be bombarded with people complaining about having to deal with the gaps while the rest of us put together our sick new mark 5. 

Just now, Marshal Rohr said:

Have you guys not put together any of the Mark 6? They will simply splice the leg plates to get the round studs and we will all be bombarded with people complaining about having to deal with the gaps while the rest of us put together our sick new mark 5. 

This was roughly related to the point I made at the top of this page, that apparently whizzed past everyone lol.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

This was roughly related to the point I made at the top of this page, that apparently whizzed past everyone lol.

I think they will use the cut they used on the jetbike crew so the part you need to sand is the flattest and most easily scraped portion. Will it take longer? Sure. Will it look amazing? Absolutely. 

12 minutes ago, Marshal Mittens said:

We were teased with MKIII in a simular piece of art before the new ones were announced. I think this might be a hint dropped at MKV coming out soonish. 

The first teaser we saw for updated Mark III was Fafnir Rann, a full year before we saw the miscellaneous plastic kit. At the time HH 2e was announced (AdeptiCon 2022) they also stated that other armour marks would be receiving updates, in line with what we'd seen with Mark VI and "recently released characters."

5 hours ago, Joe said:

The first teaser we saw for updated Mark III was Fafnir Rann, a full year before we saw the miscellaneous plastic kit. At the time HH 2e was announced (AdeptiCon 2022) they also stated that other armour marks would be receiving updates, in line with what we'd seen with Mark VI and "recently released characters."

Kinda Rann and Zephon were clear prototypes Rann being the size and proportions of a Deathwatch/Heros marine and Zephon being chaos sized. With these newer examples I get the feeling the plastic version was done first and mark 4 and 2 are already ready to go same with mark 5 although I wonder if they don't give up and just release mark 5 in resin the question is would you still buy it. I think I would.

On 1/26/2024 at 6:54 AM, Marshal Rohr said:

This is the most obvious solution but the question is will it fit on the sprue. The leg cuts will have to fit in the space that the chain bayonets do. ten leg cuts in the space of 5 bayonets is gonna be tight likely other parts would need to be sacrificed and there aren't many to sacfrifice... the 2 bareheads maybe but still tight. I'm sure it can be figured out. Would def give GW extra bragging rights about having the worlds best minis so you know they are working on it.