Horus Heresy: The Battle for Beta-Garmon

49 minutes ago, Spagunk said:

A Roman Optio were like Lieutenants who were charged with ensuring the Centurion's orders were carried out. So akin to lieutenants or perhaps an Executive Officer?:

Maybe the discipline officers we've seen in the black books? Their icons were on that previewed and never released transfer sheet.

image.png.8d1e2228abc33d2f353a1fb34d251dee.png

3 hours ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Exactly. Let me see if I can post pics from my phone

IMG-20240321-WA0032.jpeg

IMG-20240321-WA0033.jpeg

This here is a good unit.

A base unit of 5 veterans is 115; 4 with line, aoe ld9, not taking up a slot, and being able to take with any centurion? 100 points.

Now chosen are better with their 2+ and same points per additional model and for power weapons. But you can take a bunch of quite good ranged weapons like snipers and special weapons. And the command squad is limited to one of the least useful HQ choices, so there's that too.

Only iffy thing is some of the ranged weapons points that got copy pasted from the vets page. 15 for a heavy bolter or missile launcher is insane; 10 for a heavy flamer when a normal one is 2 is also insane. But being able to do 2x in a minimum sized squad is giving me some plague marine/csm chosen vibes from back in 3.5-6th. The termite having another unit that can take it is also pretty sick, especially since it helps with the gun load out.

This is a little conspiratorial but Andy Hoare recently posted his Ultramarines and mentioned a heavy weapons demi-company. I wonder if Optae will have Rites-Lite to take a tactical, assault, or heavy weapons demi-company with less force org changes, but buffs to normal squads at the expense of special units. Like a Tactical Demi-Company can double tap Fury of the Legion once per game if the Optae is within six inches of a tactical squad

25 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

This here is a good unit.

A base unit of 5 veterans is 115; 4 with line, aoe ld9, not taking up a slot, and being able to take with any centurion? 100 points.

Now chosen are better with their 2+ and same points per additional model and for power weapons. But you can take a bunch of quite good ranged weapons like snipers and special weapons. And the command squad is limited to one of the least useful HQ choices, so there's that too.

Only iffy thing is some of the ranged weapons points that got copy pasted from the vets page. 15 for a heavy bolter or missile launcher is insane; 10 for a heavy flamer when a normal one is 2 is also insane. But being able to do 2x in a minimum sized squad is giving me some plague marine/csm chosen vibes from back in 3.5-6th. The termite having another unit that can take it is also pretty sick, especially since it helps with the gun load out.

Was just thinking they reminded me of Veterans/Chosen in older editions of 40k. Two melta in a five or six man squad brings back warm, fuzzy memories.

Had missed that they all have Chosen Warrior as well. Which is nice.

4 minutes ago, Matcap86 said:

That overseer looks like the basis for a lovely mini: 

image.thumb.png.59630fed48d7d378b3034b5a9d268c8c.png

I hope that's art-specific, or they're releasing Loyalist/Traitor versions. That evil skull helmet on an Ultramarine Overseer would be hilarious. 

1*CBHPGGoURSZOmKb6CiwsSw@2x.jpeg

I managed to order the book and four boxes of the Storm Section in the end. I am really looking forward to playing around with the Black Shields and Shattered Legions. It sounds like a lot more heavier in terms of rules and opens up a lot of creativity which is what I have been looking for beyond the basic Legions. I really like the majority rule, the idea of tactically removing members of the majority legion to alter the nature of the unit sounds really interesting and mixed Legions in a single unit sounds like so much fun for conversions.

From a modelling perspective it's very exciting and I've been slowly building stuff that I can finally now commit to specific Legions along with Solar Auxilia allies and finally get stuck in. I love the idea of an army of light Sentinels though, that just screams grim dark oddball cavalry army to me.

Thanks @Mandragola for the review, it felt very comprehensive. I'm eternally grateful there's been no repeat of the siege of cthonia review nonsense.

It's really a shame they couldn't lift shattered legions out of "you really need to get everyone on board to use these rules" zone. If anything, they seem even less usable than the ones in retribution. 

Also kinda sucks the new solar aux units and cohort don't help solve their particular issues, but I am pleasantly surprised by legion support they get, and I think that's pretty cool and can help their role in the allied slot.

I didn't realize consuls are explicitly not centurions anymore, so that limits my enthusiasm a lot on the mini command squad, though the optae kinda balances it out. Also kinda funny that it sounds like they just remade the 1st edition centurion in this guy.

Characters all seem solid (though obviously discard shattered legions stuff), which is always good too.

But it's really the blackshields rules that seem like the biggest win. It's like they took all the fun customization that you could pull with daemons and militia and put it into these rules instead. They look really fun and that they'll make some really zany stuff and I genuinely want to get the book just to see how it fully works.

On 3/21/2024 at 5:23 PM, Matcap86 said:

Maybe the discipline officers we've seen in the black books? Their icons were on that previewed and never released transfer sheet.

image.png.8d1e2228abc33d2f353a1fb34d251dee.png

I would love a whole bunch of legion consuls for the wolves

Edited by Triszin

The overseer looks a really fun addition - I've wanted an option for a space marine leading mortal thralls for a while. 

Though, am I correct in reading that you can only use the Legions Auxilia rule with loyalist armies of traitor legions? Seems a bit disappointing right after they showed off a bunch of cohorts that explicitly went traitor with their buddy legion.

8 hours ago, Doobles57 said:

Picked up the book as there's a lot of cool stuff in there. Sounds like the shattered legions stuff is a hell of a mess though

I just listened to Winter´s review. Your Shattered Legions´ squads consist of soldiers from multiple Legions and never a single one. They gain boons and drawbacks depending on what types of Legionaires are in the squad. They also state that these rules are complex. 

Example:

Majority of the squad consists of Iron Hands. The squad becomes more durable. When you later receive casualties and opt to remove enough Iron Hands so that another type of Legionaire is in the majority then you exchange the previous buff with a new one.

Imo this reads great and is a mechanic that to my knowledge GW has never implemented before in their games. In fact the Shattered Legions seem a bit like the Alpha Legion as you have potentially multiple special rules available with the difference  that you can change them DURING the game which is hilarious. So no doom and gloom but a fun way to explore the Legions.

20 minutes ago, tinpact said:

The overseer looks a really fun addition - I've wanted an option for a space marine leading mortal thralls for a while. 

Though, am I correct in reading that you can only use the Legions Auxilia rule with loyalist armies of traitor legions? Seems a bit disappointing right after they showed off a bunch of cohorts that explicitly went traitor with their buddy legion.

I think it’s the Hereticus - aka Corrupted EC - lists that you can’t use them with. So fully corrupted Astartes who would simply be impossible for morals to fight alongside and stay sane and/or alive? 

Digressing here on a lore question: were Blackshields generally comprised of Marines from different Legions or did they tend to be a breakaway group from a single Legion?

I'm thinking in terms of conversion ideas and whether a unit of Blackshields from different Legions with maybe some subtle references to their origins would be loreful?

9 minutes ago, Etruscan said:

Digressing here on a lore question: were Blackshields generally comprised of Marines from different Legions or did they tend to be a breakaway group from a single Legion?

I'm thinking in terms of conversion ideas and whether a unit of Blackshields from different Legions with maybe some subtle references to their origins would be loreful?

In Book 6 of HH 1.0 there were mentions of both, as well as those created with whatever gene-seed was at hand to throw at the enemy.

Looking over the reviews again, it sounds like a Shattered Legions themed army is probably most practical using the Blackshield rules? Seeing as there doesn’t appear to be any Force Org restrictions build into the list like in 1.0.

They should’ve made each squads rules for Shattered Legions dependent on the Sergeant, and if he gets killed then the majority and minority thing kicks in. That way you could do something like stick a salamander sergeant in a heavy weapons squad and they get whatever the buff is until he gets killed. 

20 minutes ago, Etruscan said:

Blackshields can take many forms from Renegades. Freedom fighters, Mercenaries and so on and can be from all sorts of survivors or separatists. There are options including messing around with their DNA and creating clones and abhorrents from what I have seen so far. It sounds a bit like the old DYI Chapter traits from the old days of 40k.

Typically they removed Legion icons but you can do what you want with them tbh, it's more like warbands.