Horus Heresy: The Battle for Beta-Garmon

4 hours ago, MegaVolt87 said:

HH kits have been re-designed and manufactured on a tight budget and it shows. I think we have sacrificed too much in detail, options and variations in the pursuit of acesability and RRP cuts. Cut to the literal bone, not even a chainsword and bolt pistol for sarge. 

Seems more evident to me that the models have been designed as part of a modular RANGE rather than a reuse of a few sprues that were thrown together for a board game put out by another part of the business. 

This becomes more and more evident as you look at the subsequent releases. 

6 hours ago, MegaVolt87 said:

How do you know what the budgets are? Considering the costs of plastic moulds gw have thrown a fortune at heresy 2.0.

The only thing I bemoan is the loss of the full legion contemptor kits. However, we've gained far more than we've lost. More infantry will come but what is available in plastic is joyous and makes army building doable and accessible to far more people than 1.0 did. It may not be perfect but we're in a much better place than we were in my view. 

Edited by 01RTB01
Accidentally posted the same thing 4 times...

1 hour ago, Stitch5000 said:

Seems more evident to me that the models have been designed as part of a modular RANGE rather than a reuse of a few sprues that were thrown together for a board game put out by another part of the business. 

This becomes more and more evident as you look at the subsequent releases. 

The old MKIII and the MKIV also had to serve as 40k tactical squads. @Stitch5000 is right that the new Horus Heresy kits are designed as the basis for a range. It's a toolbox we're expected to run riot with. Heresy is a game aimed much more at veteran collectors, and it encourages us to kitbash and convert where needed (see every exemplary battles unit), because the designers have assumed (probably rightly in most cases) that we have existing collections to draw on or hoarded bitz from years of firstborn marine kits. The plastic kits are the base of what we need in terms of basic troops and raw materials to build whatever else we want. But almost everything (yes except breachers, recon squads....) is there for a brand new player to do as they please right out of the box. Not everything is available right out of the box granted but as we can see from the incoming plastic melee weapons kit, GW are working on it.

While the kits might be limited in options compared to what has come before, its because they are a) designed to fulfil the needs of heresy unit options, not 40k, and b) heresy lacks the budget of 40k so everything has to be designed to do more with less. This means upgrade kits to make the basic infantry kit cover more bases, and clever vehicle designs to reuse as many existing assets as possible (I'll happily say that the Spartan/Proteus sharing components is one of their cleverest pieces of design ever.)

Now back to the topic at hand, I'm really looking forward to this book. I'm really trying to stick to one legion and their support with my heresy stuff, but the shattered legion rules gives me an excuse to dabble in the other legions I like (IF, BA, DA and IW) with an Imperium Secundus themed list (assuming of course they don't limit the rules to RG, IH and Salamanders).

I really hope the Blackshield rules keep most of the flexibility of the previous version as I can see myself going mad with kitbashing really cool and weird stuff.

5 hours ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

=][= Alrighty folks, let's get this back on track. This is about the Beta Garmon book, we don't need to re-delve into the ins and outs of GW production and the multitudes of marks of armour =][=

Sorry my last post wasn't in defiance of this, I genuinely didn't see this (for some reason, the thread was in its pre-edited state).

Do we think the new book is gonna be good for new fluff? that's the main reason I'd buy it.

12 minutes ago, roryokane said:

Sorry my last post wasn't in defiance of this, I genuinely didn't see this (for some reason, the thread was in its pre-edited state).

Do we think the new book is gonna be good for new fluff? that's the main reason I'd buy it.

Siege of Cthonia's fluff chapters were pretty good in my opinion so I think we'll be okay there.

I am really stoked for this book, honestly. Blackshields and Shattered Legions alone will get me in the door, but having a bunch more background, some more solar aux stuff to hopefully get those on the table more often and open up what we see played, and a whole campaign system...just awesome. I love the Cthonia book's background and ZM system, as well as the inductii, and I look forward to seeing how they integrate the new rules. 

5 hours ago, roryokane said:

High hopes, as always. Simply because its great subject matter and the Black Books had some excellent stuff in it.

Of course I welcome letting their full imagination go on the fluff.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starving for leaks or previews of the blackshield and shattered legions rules. Will Blackshields still have stripped down armour and boltgun rules? It almost looks like the new models were designed with that in mind with the details under the shoulder pads you'll normally only ever see on a tank commander. Also I like to build themed allied forces currently working on Blood Angels and Imperial fists down the road I wanna do an Istvaan survivors theme (not dropsite massacre the original one) Loyal Emperors children, Deathguard and World eaters survivors and wonder how it's gonna work compared to just taking two allied detachments.

According to Warcom this book will be upon us soon:

It works very nicely as a companion piece for the forthcoming supplement for your larger-scale games set in the Horus Heresy: Campaigns of the Age of Darkness – The Battle for Beta-Garmon is set during the same conflict, allowing players to zero in on key battles. This book will also be out soon.

On 2/1/2024 at 1:41 PM, roryokane said:

That's true. It wasn't quite OG FW Big Black Book good, but it was aight, so you're right, cautious optimism probably reasonable.

This might be controversial, but in some small aspects I found it better. It read like a hybrid between a "Classic Black Book" and "Black Library Book" with lots of emphasis placed on the characters: Garrius, Ashuraddon, Rayeve, Sul Kontep, Draykcavac, etc...

It may not go as deep into the pseudo-historical lore of the OG BB, but you can extrapolate a lot of things from the narrative.

28 minutes ago, Mr Farson said:

Anyone want to bet that today's heresy Thursday is going to be them talking about the beta Garmon book rather than a new miniature reveal?

Unlikely. To my memory they've not done that with any previous Heresy Thursday unless it was the same article they announced the book in.

Between the listed characters getting models, generic and Legion-specific Consuls, as well as plastic Solar Auxilia and Legions Imperialis, there's plenty for them to be showing. 

Edited by Lord Marshal

Probably just my 50 year old brain but is anybody else having difficulty differentiating at this point what's for HH and what's for LI....?

I keep thinking a book is for one system but turns out it's for the other one, doesn't help they seem to be setting them in the same warzones. It's nice, but just feels like with HH and LI it's getting hard to keep track of everything.....

Anyway, that aside, new books are always welcome. :)

2 hours ago, sarabando said:

how long was it from announcement to release for the cthonia book?

About two months. Announced in March, released in May.

Based off that, mid/late-March isn't the craziest theory - especially since there's still three characters to reveal models of, unless they do Shadrak and Marr as a double feature. 

Edited by Lord Marshal

8 hours ago, sarabando said:

how long was it from announcement to release for the cthonia book?

my Guess is this book will be released on the 9th, as the box will have to go on pre-order next week in order to meet the winter date on the roadmap, and Beta-Garmon has rules for something in the box, so I suspect they will release together

17 hours ago, SgtSharp said:

my Guess is this book will be released on the 9th, as the box will have to go on pre-order next week in order to meet the winter date on the roadmap, and Beta-Garmon has rules for something in the box, so I suspect they will release together

Thursday they hinted again that this is coming very soon, so it seems like its really happening in the very near future.

• 1 month later...