Night Lords 18th Battle Company (Treadhead)

Fantastic! I think this is exactly what they needed. Making the chapter symbol and shoulder pad that stone colour was a good call I think. I like the bronze trim on the last Raptor. How long did it take for you to get that white on the helmet looking that way? And correct me if I am wrong here, but the flamer from painted Raptor 1 is a new Grey Knights flamer correct?

Good looking stuff Dan, can't wait for more.

Cheers

The marine helmet in the fist? maybe 5 minutes or so. The flamer on the Taurus marine is a GK incinerator. I cut the fuel tanks of the terminator heavy flamer bit and did some carving to get it to fit on there snugly. I'm happy with the bronze as well.

Quick way i did the white.

thinned fortress grey

badaab black

fortress grey

fortress/skull white

skull white.

Each successive layer has to leave the layer before it showing. If you thin your paints to the perfect amount they go on smooth, and dry practically after your brush leaves the model.

Samurai_Eduh, "What size plasticard are you using for the leg spacers? 1mm?" yes 1mm. I owe a tutorial on my methods soon, but mine aren't too different than most. the trick i found is to use plastic glue for everything, that way when you're carving and filing down the model there's no seams or breaks in contact.

Each raptor has been a little different in the stone look and texture. I'm considering making a couple different color stone, but i dunno yet.

Thanks for all the wonderful replies. Gotta go fix the last two raptors now.

Each successive layer has to leave the layer before it showing. If you thin your paints to the perfect amount they go on smooth, and dry practically after your brush leaves the model.

Each raptor has been a little different in the stone look and texture. I'm considering making a couple different color stone, but i dunno yet.

Sorry to be a pain here, but can you give me a bit of help and define what the perfect amount of thinning is? I've been trying to get this just right for my own guys, and I want to really get it before I apply it to any of my own Marines. Any tips you and hints you have would be greatly appreciated.

And I think making a few of them a bit of a different stone colour would a good idea. What colours of stone are you thinking of using? Some black marble would be pretty cool in my own opinion.

Thanks for all the help, can't wait for that tutorial on Dan-scaled marines by the way!

Cheers

Sorry to be a pain here, but can you give me a bit of help and define what the perfect amount of thinning is? I've been trying to get this just right for my own guys, and I want to really get it before I apply it to any of my own Marines. Any tips you and hints you have would be greatly appreciated.

I usually find that when spreading my paints on a wet pallet two or three submerged brushed do per each brush load of paint you put on your paper. If that's not your style, then try this.

Thin a pain, if, when you apply it the paint gums up around the egde of the brush line, or when messed with for a bit, starts to leave dried spots and blemishes, then it's not thin enough.

if the paint when applied is affected by gravity, and finds its way into areas not touched by the brush, into cracks, crevices, and dents, willing them up like spilled milk, then it's too much water.

There is a zone i really like where you can load your paintbrush and when touched to the model and without any pressure, the thinned paint sort of flows from the bristles through the physical connection to the model onto the spot where it last touched. it feels totally opposite from brushing a model, where the bristles move against the model with pressure, and feels like you're kind of tickling the model with the very edge or side of the brush.

It takes practice, and maybe loosing a little sanity in the process.

I was wondering when you were going to paint the power fist raptor, very nice brother. That subdued brass looks much nicer man, the granite Legion/Chapter symbol really sets the guy off, and makes him look like a true gargoyle. Great idea! I can almost imagine a squad of these guys squatting motionless atop an Imperial Cathedral for weeks on end, then suddenly falling upon their foes at midnight in the middle of a massive rainstorm. Gnarly.

the trick i found is to use plastic glue for everything, that way when you're carving and filing down the model there's no seams or breaks in contact.

\

Son of a ....That's what I did wrong! Ah well...

• 2 weeks later...

Dan, your force here really is top notch, and, as I said before, I love your Abaddon (paint 'em! Right now! This instant!).

I'm sorry if you "have" to answer the same questions over and over again, but where did you get these AL shoulder pads? They look so familiar, but I can't remember where I saw them before.

Keep up the great work :-)

/e: stupid me! Found them on the GW site just a second after I completed the comment. Why weren't they in the bits section just like the other stuff?

Edited by Rogan

Thanks Rogan, Speaking of the termi chappy, he's been sitting on my desk beckoning me for some action for months now. I decided I'd probably never run him as abby, as i couldn't fit him and all of my other HQ models into my list, and my terminators have been performing like an un-rehearsed, elementary, orchestra in game, and i'm not terribly happy with them. My conundrum was to stick the model in there as is, with a lightning claw and another power weapon, or try and justify the power weapon, or dark crozius, as an icon of some sort. What my terminators are lacking are a decent invulnerable save, so his crozius(MOT) giving the squad 4++ would be nice, but their battlefield role is becoming inherently wasted and somewhat of a disastrous spectacle. What i need is a Reaper Autocannon, although i cannot have one with my two dreadnoughts, current heavy flamer termi, and a less than ten man terminator squad.

These thoughts have plagued me into indecision. What the hell do i do with this guy? Until i can make the voices go away (i'm becoming used to them) he's destined to "sit it out" until i come up with something.

I did update him a tad though, took the silly winged skull off and got some serious trophy rack action going on. I made sure he has 18 skulls, like the dreaddy, as those bad ass enough in the 18th company carry their company number in the brain-pan of slain foes.

gallery_31335_1757_108632.jpg

Question for you guys, should he be painted all black, full midnight, or maybe some combination of the two. I have the shoulder guards on there as blue right now, but i'm not sold on the look. Opinions?

Then there's fleshing my wraiths out a bit. I want to give myself the option of running them as a larger squad (10) to be able to use them as plagues, Csm, or hell, even grey hunters. :)

gallery_31335_1757_4848.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_18608.jpg

In hindsight i'm not feeling the skull helmet on that one much, I will probably change it.

and i leave you this.

gallery_31335_1757_4399.jpg

What could it be?

Dan.

I'm with Noctus on this one. I think I see a dragon mouth and the top of Terminator armour. And if he is right, I am totally in love with the idea. I cannot wait to see what you would do for this.

As for the no-longer-abby-count-as, I think full midnight would work. I'm not sure about having him black. I feel that he would look a bit to much like a Black Legion character. But I have been wrong before, and you have pulled of paint jobs I thought wouldn't work.

And as for the skull helm marine, I'm not really a fan. To me, he feels more like a zerker, but again, that could just be me.

Glad to see more progress. Looking forward to seeing more Raptors finished.

Cheers Dan

I really like how your Termie chappy is coming out. I think I want to add some skulls to mine now...

For his paint job, I would say paint him Midnight Clad. He isn't some loyalist trying to follow a set of rules so having black armor isn't necessary. Plus, that is too cool a mini to just leave it mostly black.

Greetings,

Sorry to say I didn't get any Wip pics besides the spoiler of this guy before i basecoated him. You guys will just have to be happy with the final pictures. :D

gallery_31335_1757_170841.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_274673.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_218314.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_119274.jpg

To those of you who saw the hints, I hope you aren't disappointed. I gave him the assault cannon because my alpha legion are very big fans of bullets. Whether they be boltguns, autocannons, heavy bolters, or assault cannons, i've kept the dakka theme prevalent with them. I did give him an assault cannon instead of another combi-plas, or a reaper autocannon, because this way i could play him as a wolf guard, or as a reaper terminator when i pull the heavy flamer marine.

I'm madly in love with the shoulder-pad freehand. I spent a fraction of the time on it, and it looks loads better than what i spent 90% of the time doing (the damn eyes!). balancing the model out proved to be pretty tough so i had to mix things up a bit with the personal heraldry. There's the XX 20th legion sign, then scrawled in red ink, or blood, whichever you prefer, are his allegiances to the 18th company.

Dan

Awesome stuff there. Lovin' the conversions, the painting, the grittyness, the theme...everything. Great job dude, that terminator is indeed very well painted, the freehands on the legs and the shoulderpad look very nice as does the overall look.

Man, I wish I'd be that creative. :(

Please, keep it up. :)

Snorri

Fantastic! Hardly disappointing Dan. Where did you get those snake/dragon heads? And the paint job is amazing. I love how you paint your Alpha Legion. And the Alpha Legion are a fan of bullets eh? Who isn't!?

Will you be doing more of these Alpha Legion Terminators anytime soon? And how is the used-to-be-but-not-anymore-count-as-abby coming along?I wish you luck, and as usual, I cannot wait to see more!

Cheers Dan.

Fantastic! Hardly disappointing Dan. Where did you get those snake/dragon heads? And the paint job is amazing. I love how you paint your Alpha Legion. And the Alpha Legion are a fan of bullets eh? Who isn't!?

Will you be doing more of these Alpha Legion Terminators anytime soon? And how is the used-to-be-but-not-anymore-count-as-abby coming along?I wish you luck, and as usual, I cannot wait to see more!

Cheers Dan.

realy nice work again mate!!

are you going to make a full squad of aphlalegoin termies, as they do look so CHAOTIC? and could you possibly do a tutorial on how you paint your alpha's, this would be realy apriciated as i am converting up a "count as" squad of noise marines..

once again i am inspired by your epic work!

You're like magic, except also ice cream and sex.

...I like your Dreadnought.

....this is hands down the best thing ever to be posted.

Besides Dan's Night Lords.

I'm just saying.