Night Lords 18th Battle Company (Treadhead)

It's a testament to your outrageous skill that you've garnered replies in the thousands - and that not a single bloody one of us had anything negative to say. About anything you did. Not once.

You are madness, your house is Sparta, you are not lost and if anyone else dares to post a Night Lords army in this forum for the next 23498546 years someone will inevitably say "they're nice, but they aren't as nice as *insert link to your thread*. If I had a tenth of your talent I would be charging people new to the hobby $45 to stroke my cheek and perhaps glean a smidgeon of power from physical contact.

It's a testament to your outrageous skill that you've garnered replies in the thousands - and that not a single bloody one of us had anything negative to say. About anything you did. Not once.

You are madness, your house is Sparta, you are not lost and if anyone else dares to post a Night Lords army in this forum for the next 23498546 years someone will inevitably say "they're nice, but they aren't as nice as *insert link to your thread*. If I had a tenth of your talent I would be charging people new to the hobby $45 to stroke my cheek and perhaps glean a smidgeon of power from physical contact.

I couldn't have said it better myself! Cheers Dan! You truly are The Lord of the Night!

Ave Dominus Nox!

@Dan: Remember back in the day when there was a big contreversy about units turning our combat patches reversed so that they faced forward with our unit patch (especially in the 101st) "towards the enemy"? I think he means that the hydra on the right arm shoulder plate is facing to the rear, instead of towards the front; even though the hydra facing to the left is how it's supposed to look, it's generally accepted for loyalist marines to face non-mirror image chapter symbols towards the front a.k.a., the enemy.

By army standards, his hydra is perfect, ladies and gents... :tu:

it's generally accepted for loyalist marines to face non-mirror image chapter symbols towards the front a.k.a., the enemy.

By army standards, his hydra is perfect, ladies and gents... :tu:

Yeah I remember. I had the hydra in mind when i did it, and really didn't mess with it much or switch the shoulderpads because I felt the backwards Hydra heads would be symbolic to the duality of the Alpha Legion's purpose, that's the reason i posted the pics of the other two guys in the unit, as they also had symbolic "windows" into their duality painted or modeled onto them. (The imperial eagle on top of the dreadnought, and the Inquisitorial shoulderpad on the havoc Sgt. I wanted a good kickback to the old alpha legion on their proper side, left Chained A, and figured the hydra on the opposite side would balance it out, and give me the opportunity to put a little love into the theme i love so much about them; That they are fighting with chaos with it's eventual downfall in mind, and that the only way to save the human race is to extinguish what the imperium has made of itself.

So yes, the hydra would be facing their enemies if the alpha legion were anyone but the alpha legion.

hope that makes some sense.

So yes, the hydra would be facing their enemies if the alpha legion were anyone but the alpha legion.

Alpha Legionnaires, hipsters of 40k.... :)

It looks awesome Dan. The baby hydra cowl and trigger guard are one of those "wish I thought of it" conversions I've become so begrudgingly familiar with here on the BnC.

Alpha Legionnaires, trolls of 40k.... ;)

fixed that for you :)

That's how I've always viewed the Alpha Legion. Because they're so compartmentalized, there's no one unifying goal. Some are actually chaos and hate the imperium, some are working to help the imperium in a twisted, sneaky, roundabout way. With one exception. The only thing that ALL Alpha Legionaries agree on is this: Troll The Ultramarines.

Glad to see some alpha love creeping up in here, or shall i say, those of you who are blowing your cover.

I present to you another one of your brethren, this time, not in the colors of the legion, but those of the Raptor cult currently residing within the ranks of the 18th company.

gallery_31335_1757_44993.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_65436.jpg

gallery_31335_1757_126416.jpg

Dan

I've been following your stuff for a while, not sure if I've ever commented, but I love where you ended up with the Raptor cult. Is that a converted Vanguard Vet? The chainsword stands out especially well.

Keep up the good work man.

-Joe

The termie looks great! I have to say, in regards to symbol/emblems used by the AL, anything goes. Who knows how many different chapter colors a single AL has doned in their lifetime.

The latest raptor looks great but I find the rooster/pointy head piece the most interesting thing about it.

Its been so long since i have looked at your thread, your work continues to inspire the BnC and I hope it continues to.

The newer dread is spectacular and the raptors are too.

How did you do the freehand symbol on the black legion helmet ( in terms of colours ) ? I would like to copy it.

really nice alpha raptor brother dan, even if i'm not a big fan the crest on his helmet...

the stone look is still awesome :tu:

one thing about his paintjob though: in the last picture his right heel above the sole of his boot looks very glossy. is that intentional? cuz i don't see it anywhere else on the model.

Wicced

one thing about his paintjob though: in the last picture his right heel above the sole of his boot looks very glossy. is that intentional? cuz i don't see it anywhere else on the model.

That is, unfortunately, a side affect of me using a hairdryer to speed up one of the badaab black washes that the model needed. The whole guy had a black shiny sheen on him after that and i had to go back and practically de-do the entire paint job. That's what i get for trying to hasted the process of the wash by using hot air. For those of you who'd like to learn from my mistakes, keep the hot air off, and the air power relatively low.

lord gunthar

How did you do the freehand symbol on the black legion helmet ( in terms of colours ) ? I would like to copy it.

The black legion helmet was painted with chardon granite, then badaab black wash, then some really subtle highlights. The golden/yellow look comes from, surprisingly, an old hexagonal gw paint pot of Bubonic brown. I don't know if they still carry the color, or the name, but it's kind of a tan look. Alongside the muted black legion colors the brownish yellow, or kind of a filthy yellow, looks just as bright as yellow ought to look on black. The little symbol started as just a semi circle in the yellow, followed by some sharp thin lines out to 4 points, or 8, and then barbed like a fishhook to add that nasty looking 8 pointed star that shows up so well in chaos artwork. After the yellow lines you might have to go back and tidy the sharpness up with some black, or in this case black/chardon granite mix.

their kin

Is that a converted Vanguard Vet?

It's hard work cutting a set of pewter legs in 4 places and then biggerizing them, so i opted to use the sang guard legs and just swap whichever legs i could cut off from certain molds, then mix and match them up with other sets until i found a pose i liked. Most of the raptors were made this way, which took forever, as i had to oftentimes replace feet, and thighs in order to get cool poses. The sang guard are meant to look angelic, and i didn't want that with these guys./ Floating bad-assery is what i was aiming for.

gallery_31335_1757_30359.jpg

hushrong

The latest raptor looks great but I find the rooster/pointy head piece the most interesting thing about it.

The pointy rooster head was never really intended to be used with a raptor theme, it's kind of a funny coincidence that it ended up where it was. The head originally came from my old Zerk squad leaders head. Oftentimes right before i base coat a model, or months after i originally worked on him I'll switch some stuff up last minute. One switch on this model was to move him from a Night Lord and into an Alpha Legion marine. Then i could have a bigger mix of legions within the raptor cult and add some diversity. The head, unfortunately has a bladed peak on it, but the old model who wielded it ran around with a str 9 powerfist on the charge (and won me a ton of games), so i decided to honor his memory with a little spot in the raptor cult.

Thanks for all the positive comments and feedback!

A parting question, do you guys like the green/red grenades on this raptor, or do the older ones i've been painting in grey work better?

Dan

Edited by Dan The Deamon

That is quite a backstory to him which adds personal character! I also like the pursuit to diversify the raptor cult.

As for the green and red grenades, I think it looks alright as is. I would avoid having them side by side on future marines otherwise it will give off a creepy Christmas vibe. Perhaps he has some color variety with his grenades because he had to replenish his stock from fresh kills.

So what can we expect to see next might I ask?

Edited by hushrong

That is, unfortunately, a side affect of me using a hairdryer to speed up one of the badaab black washes that the model needed. The whole guy had a black shiny sheen on him after that and i had to go back and practically de-do the entire paint job. That's what i get for trying to hasted the process of the wash by using hot air. For those of you who'd like to learn from my mistakes, keep the hot air off, and the air power relatively low.

damn, that's unfortunate indeed :)

i like the different coloured grenades, and i guess colour coding them makes sense even for space marines ;)

This is where i'm hitting a wall. After I finish the raptors, I have some vehicles to do, and then a character or two. I've decided that the abbadon model will probably never get used, and i should just take the helmet and axe from him and stick him in a squad as a champion.

This is where i'm hitting a wall. After I finish the raptors, I have some vehicles to do, and then a character or two. I've decided that the abbadon model will probably never get used, and i should just take the helmet and axe from him and stick him in a squad as a champion.

What about mixing it up a little and making a squad of loyalist marines or more Alpha's? I certainly love everything you do, your stuff never ceases to amaze and inspire me. That being said, I would love to see your take on a loyal kill team or Deathwatch squad. Just 5 or so guys, not a whole new army or anything. It might give you a little distraction and us a lot of inspiration. You don't know how tempted I am to box up all of my wip loyal marines and start an Alpha Legion army every time you post your latest work. I think a pre-heresey look from a different legion might even give you some new areas of conversion to add to your Night Lords.