Vlka Fenryka: WIP/PIP + Warband Fluff

MaveriK

Been working my real job and picking up shifts here and there with my other job, having no time to paint or update. Thankfully starting next week I will have a more steady schedule to finally get the ball going once again! more updates soon... been playing with scions for my kaels lately. So far so good.

--EDIT--

gallery_24878_5750_33367.jpg

I've decided to go with the paint scheme shown in this following link: http://taleofpainters.blogspot.ca/2014/07/showcase-tempestus-scions.html

@Rift Blade, haha thanks! I needed to think outside of the box on that one.

@maverik_girl, painting white armour is hard!!!

@Rune_Priest_Rhapsody, thanks my friend. I just wish I was done working on my army.

@Chef WUlfen, thank you wolf brother!

@Bladewolf, thank you my friend as is your work!

@Forte, sadly I wish I was done all this wip stuff...

:: WIP ::

gallery_24878_5750_37526.jpg

iPhone 4S photo of my Ragnar Blackmane. Inspired by munger, from his work seen here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/304396-ragnar-blackmane-conversion/

gallery_24878_5750_63440.jpg

iPhone 4S photo of The Young King. Ragnar Blackmane. It was a simple conversion, beautifully executed and inspired by munger.

gallery_24878_5750_34516.jpg

iPhone 4S photo. Arez Greenhorn. Inglorious drunkard. The herald of winter and war. Pack mate of Nrthstar the Iron Chin, Skadi the she-wolf, Forte daggerfist and postal105 the silent walker.

gallery_24878_5750_2602.jpg

iPhone 4S photo. Arez Greenhorn an inglorious champion. The self proclaimed butcher of Midgardia, slayer of the silent dead (Necrons) during the battle for Midgardia 933.M41

gallery_24878_5750_5418.jpg

iPhone 4S photo. Wolf Priest. Unknown info. Seen fighting alongside Wulfen packs during The 13th Black Crusade of Abaddon the Despoiler 999.M41

gallery_24878_5750_79987.jpg

iPhone 4S photo. Wolf Priest. Unknown info. Seen fighting alongside Wulfen pack during The 13th Black Crusade of Abaddon the Despoiler 999.M41

UPDATE: PIP, Lone Wolf
---
gallery_24878_5750_71972.jpggallery_24878_5750_75518.jpg
strut (strhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ubreve.gift) v. strut

I see Greenhorn managed to remove the green horn from his helm (I really should have used stronger glue). Good to see too.

Amusingly, my "Insasane Psychopath" is in a similar pose as yours. Completely different mini obviously ;)

And tiny tip for Painting white...don't. Build up to an almost white grey and highlight it white. Looks much better and the grey is easier to build up.

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_24878_5750_76017.jpg

She is a frost born maiden known simply as Skadi the She-Wolf of the Vlka Fenryka. A daughter of Fenris and Shield Maiden of the Rout.

"NO MAN NOR BEAST COULD BEST THE WOLF-KING. NO TRIBE COULD STAND AGAINST HIS ARMIES. WITHIN RUSS' KINGDOM A TRUCE EXISTED BETWEEN MAN AND WOLF. HIS COURT WAS ATTENDED BY THE FIERCEST OF WARLORDS AND THE MOST BEAUTIFUL OF MAIDENS" - The Saga of The Wolf-King. (pg 8. Space Wolves Codex)

gallery_24878_5750_17646.jpg

Skadi the She-Wolf (version 2). Valkyrja warrior of the Rout. Personal stewards (Shield Maidens) of both the Fleshmakers and Jarls of the Rout.

"No finer sight on any world than a frostborn maiden. Especially a beauty with black hair. Rare back when I had eyes to stare, and surely even rarer now." - First Jarl Bjorn the Fell-Handed.

gallery_24878_5750_45730.jpg

Unknown pack members simply reffered to as Kraken Slayers (Grey Hunters with Halberds) by the Cadian 104th Regiment.

gallery_24878_5750_98813.jpg

They play a similar role as the Tyrannic War Veterans of the Ultramarines. The elite pack simply known as the Kraken Slayers excel in fighting against Tyranids hordes. These Grey Hunters hone their art of war by slaying creatures beneath the frozen oceans of Fenris.

-- EDIT --

Thank you for looking! Comments and or questions are welcomed.

I love them. i was trying to d oKraken Slayers myself, now you give me some ideas what to use for harpoons. 

The only thing i'm not sure is the direction of the wind on Skaadi miniature: hair vs. spear cloth. Maybe heating it a little bit to curve backwards will help (or greenstuff it). Nevertheless, it's my favorite of your Skaadi miniatures so far!

I love them. i was trying to d oKraken Slayers myself, now you give me some ideas what to use for harpoons.

The only thing i'm not sure is the direction of the wind on Skaadi miniature: hair vs. spear cloth. Maybe heating it a little bit to curve backwards will help (or greenstuff it). Nevertheless, it's my favorite of your Skaadi miniatures so far!

I completely agree with you on the spear! I was iffy about it when the piece was glued on. It didn't feel right but it was still in the WIP mode and a reason why I post my work to get some insight and suggestions. I've always pride myself with the fluidity and symmetry when it came to my work. Anyway, I played around with the plastic and boiled some water... so thank you for pushing me to do better. Lesson of the day, if your gut says it doesn't feel right. Listen to your gut!!!

On other news, I have a three day weekend this week. I hopefully can start painting again! I also can't wait to use the new Skitarii range bits for some sevitors. The current look and feel of the tech servitors currently available IMHO look horrid... I feel like can do better for my Iron Priest.

gallery_24878_5750_6269.jpg

Iron Priest Finng

gallery_24878_5750_21568.jpg

Harald Deathwolf

gallery_24878_5750_75175.jpg

Lord of the Wolfkin

gallery_24878_5750_15160.jpg

I don't like the current Harald Deathwolf. I think he looks ugly so I decided to redo him and on foot. Since my lost company and own principles dislike the idea of power armoured marines riding giant wolves. I needed to keep it consistent having shield maidens ride thunder wolves or non-power armoured figures riding giant wolves. Anyway this is what I came up with... I gave him a spear/halberd and reused the weapon arm from my kraken slayers. I tend to experiment and use and move bits around.

gallery_24878_5750_67946.jpg

This is what Harald will look once completed minus the sheild maiden riding Icefang.

-- EDIT --

Thank you for looking!

So many ideas to steal here... your stuff is great. That Iron priest in particular I cant wait.to see unfold. Also...where is that cloak from on Harald?

I've said this before (on here) and I'll say it again. And I do apologize if these words may come off as sounding arrogant/elitist or even rude. But I dislike the word/term “steal” as it takes away from the person saying it. Taking away their ability to be imaginative and original. I would rather have someone say my work has inspired me and or motivated me to be creative with my own work. The word “steal” only cheapens the person saying it and I would like to believe most people aren't that dull... I'm not saying you are dull, I'm just saying this in general terms. I just dislike the word, as words are often abused from their original intend and definition these days. Sadly most people today do not take responsibility of their words and or actions anymore. Words will always retain their power. Sorry for the OCD, professional pride, self monologue there... But I'm glad you like my work and thank you.

Anyway, the cloak is from Warhammer Dark Elves range. I only use Forgeworld and Games Workshop bits.

Loving this as always May. I love the way your fluff and minis complement each other, really raw and gritty. As a fellow member of the "marines should not ride wolves/fallen brothers" I like the shield maiden concept. I have an idea of my own which I hope to get done during the upcoming ETL.

gallery_24878_5750_20554.jpg

This piece was the humble beginnings of what inspired me to make the current Shield Maiden template for my Thunderwolf Cavalry.

gallery_24878_5750_136822.jpg

It was just a random piece that I put together for my curiosity with the Xenos. It ended up becoming a small splinter force of Farsight Enclaves made up of female Gue'vesa (human) force known as The Widowmakers. This is just a small glimpse of the makings and daily brainstorming into making my Lost Company.

gallery_24878_5750_160476.jpg

A blurry picture of postal105 the Silent Walker. This is an older model done months ago, I just haven't posted it on here. He is a Grey Hunter/Slayer in his own right.

gallery_24878_5750_194608.jpg

If you're going to make a Space Wolf. Make sure they have their own personality and identity. I tend to make each model in my Lost Company stand out enough to proxy as a special character, Wolf Lord or Lone Wolf. Versitility with your models makes it cost effective and pushes/challenges you to be original and creative. I HATE models that all look the same... wolves aren't sheep so why make them all look the same?

gallery_24878_5750_175174.jpg

postal105 the Silent Walker. This model literally came out of nowhere for me! I wasn't intending to do anything with the legs once I cut it off from it's original pose (chaos raptor), but after I did my mind started brainstorming with some ideas. He ended up becoming one of my favorite pieces, especially with how he ended up looking. I love the fluidity and pose. Savage yet noble. He is my happy accident that turned into a spectacular piece. I can't wait to paint him!

gallery_24878_5750_84193.jpg

Fort

Your work never ceases to inspire and enthrall. reading through all your model descriptions and backgrounds is a real saga of dedication and love.

i am still very new to space wolves but i hope that given more time and experience i can also be able to come up with work that is even half as good as these.

While I understand where you are coming from with that reply, I have to respectfully disagree.

Was more or less trying to convey how great your stuff was looking but if you did something I didnt think of and then I recreate that Ive stolen your idea have I not? ;P. That whole silly argument about "intelectual property" heh. I suppose we could say you' ve given me some great ideas I may not have come up with on my own instead. So thank you! I dont feel cheapened at all when I make a statement like "steal" though it may not be the best word choice. I feel thankful.

So keep pumping them out! Your thread was one of the draws that brought me back again and I always look forward to the updates.

While I understand where you are coming from with that reply, I have to respectfully disagree.

Was more or less trying to convey how great your stuff was looking but if you did something I didnt think of and then I recreate that Ive stolen your idea have I not? ;P. That whole silly argument about "intelectual property" heh. I suppose we could say you' ve given me some great ideas I may not have come up with on my own instead. So thank you! I dont feel cheapened at all when I make a statement like "steal" though it may not be the best word choice. I feel thankful.

So keep pumping them out! Your thread was one of the draws that brought me back again and I always look forward to the updates.

It's all good and you're entitled to your opinion. This was never about intelectual property LMAO it was more about carelessly throwing out words without taking responsibility for it. For example, words like "love" and not meaning it, or "respect" and not understanding the definition behind its meaning.

I would rather inspire and motivate individuals to pursue their own creativity by challenging themselves with the insight I've given through my art. Passion has it's pride and faults. Inspiration seldom comes in today's age.... when I hear steal, I ask myself. Is he or she going to directly immitate or copy my stuff? or expand and grow from it? it takes away from my work if words "steal" is thrown into the mix. It takes away the sparkle, passion and effort put into my work. It cheapens those involved. That's my take on it... LMAO. But I thank you, knowing that my stuff has inspired you, helps me keep going, in doing what I love to do, with the Space Wolves I enjoy working on and playing with, in this hobby that we all love and hate at the same time! LOL

End rant.

--EDIT--

gallery_24878_5750_9919.jpg

iPhone 4S photo. Wolf Guard Argyle Yelloweyes the Oathkeeper.

gallery_24878_5750_65361.jpg

iPhone 4S photo. Wolf Guard Argyle Yelloweyes, Oathkeeper of The Rout. His shield is called J

I was just trying to keep it light hearted with the intelectual property comment. I'm a wolf, I can't just roll over! I have to fight!

Kidding, kidding. All jokes aside I understand where you are coming from and allow me to say I truly appreciate the attitude you have towards your art. And art it is! Many do not share your sentiment. I do however think a big part of using such a word as 'steal' is todays society and the endless lawsuits you read about for copy right infringement. Our own hobby's creators being at the forefront of no small number of them. I realize this is the extreme scenarios but it carries over to smaller matters... or perhaps its just me!

On to whats important, your work (and others here) is truly inspirational, enough so to draw me back as I've stated. I obviously have found a new favorite amongst your models in that last post! LOL. (might be a biased opinion...)

That pose... I'm seeing a freight train of a shoulder check coming to be immediately followed by one hell of a shield bash. Thank you for answering the question of weather dwarf heads worked or not. Was it tricky to seat properly in the terminator torso? Also have you tried any of the dwarven shoulder pads? Curious if they work as a "cap" over existing pads or even on there own.

I am about to order either a box of Dwarf Hammers or Marauder Horsemen... undecided which, might flip a coin heh. I really love that the hammer box comes with so many weapon heads. Judging by the online sprue pics those dwarf pads might even work on termi knees... hmmm

@Argyle, I wanted Oathkeeper to be just a big brute of sheer fury. The fist and the shield and that look in his eyes hulking forward to stomp over some monter or champion. Irondrake heads work great for TDA bodies. I had a few dward head bits ordered online. Originally I was playing around with some ideas using dwarf bits to see if I could mix and match it with a Kaerl guard but it didn't pan out. I've tried other heads on terminator bodies, one from a Hammerer, an Ironbreaker, to a Longbeard head bit. Sadly as great as they look, the only best looking one is from a Irondrake. It was appropriate looking and fit the scale with the terminator. As for the shoulder pads, I've used one or two for power armour to cover up some chaos bits, I've also used one on a Kaerl guard. I haven't seen anybody use dwarf heads on terminators and I wanted to give it a try. It was a little hard to fit in, it all depends on the torso and the posing.... 

I would suggest getting the Marauder Horsemen heads. They are worth it! The Longbeard axe heads are also just as good. I think they are beautiful.

Archived