Vlka Fenryka: WIP/PIP + Warband Fluff

MaveriK

WIP

gallery_24878_5750_4771.jpg

WIP Space Wolves Contemptor.

gallery_24878_5750_47717.jpg

Dark times call for dark deeds...

gallery_24878_5750_114311.jpg

I wanted to think outside the box on this one, as I've seen very few SW contemptor pattern dreadnoughts that do the VI Legion justice. Once completed and when I am satisfied with the results I can be proud of it.

--EDIT--

Thank you for looking!

THE GODLESS

gallery_24878_5750_82915.jpg

Uthred The Godless
Pack Master sent to assist and watch over the Imperial Heralds on orders by the Sigillite. Uthred has a distrust towards the pious, which the XVII Legion embodied. Earning him a reputation from the Imperial Heralds and the moniker of "The Godless." Uthred making a point to enforce the Imperial Truth, even amongst the brother legions.
gallery_24878_5750_45413.jpg
They dabble in silent prayers and pay homage to the Allfather. "The God Emperor" they whisper in secret. It almost makes me laugh. He is but the Allfather to the frostborn and the only man to best the Wolf King in a real fight between two warriors. But a God King? should I hear the words spoken openly, my blade will silence them forever, for I am the sanctioned son of Russ.
--EDIT--
Thank you for looking!

Your thread is always the shot in the arm I need to get me started on the Wolves again. Lethal looking contemptor as well.

gallery_24878_5750_45413.jpg
They dabble in silent prayers and pay homage to the Allfather. "The God Emperor" they whisper in secret. It almost makes me laugh. He is but the Allfather to the frostborn and the only man to best the Wolf King in a real fight between two warriors. But a God King? should I hear the words spoken openly, my blade will silence them forever, for I am the sanctioned son of Russ.
--EDIT--
Thank you for looking!

Just a question did you clip the pelts on the shoulderpads from the dreadnought sprues? Can't for the the life of me place them, I even thought for a second you sculpted them yourself!

This stuff is pure inspiration.

We both have differing styles for how we portray our Wolves, but these amazing models are spurring me on to try new and different things.

Sort of create an identity of my own for them.

Thanks!!

I take it you are a Bernard Cornwell fan?

WIP

gallery_24878_5750_88624.jpg

Wolf Lord Harald Deathwolf (on foot).

gallery_24878_5750_20853.jpg

I honestly hate the look of the original head, almost to the point of thinking that whom ever sculpted the head was just being lazy!

gallery_24878_5750_7888.jpg

Gothi Priest of the Rout

gallery_24878_5750_60381.jpg

Rune Master of the Rout

gallery_24878_5750_62655.jpg

Star-Speaker of the Rout

gallery_24878_5750_4550.jpg

Rune Priest of the Rout.

--EDIT--

Thank you for looking!

WIP

gallery_24878_5750_23121.jpg

Krakenbone sword.

gallery_24878_5750_34705.jpg

I wanted to do something different in regards to the krakenbone sword.

gallery_24878_5750_4143.jpg

Thinking outside the box on this one...

gallery_24878_5750_5531.jpg

I also have a jawbone that I will use as another krakenbone sword. But I am content with this one!

--EDIT--

Thank you for looking!

Maverik - i wonder since you have kraken teeth on the blade, you might consider painting them crystaline?

No.

But only because I'm old school and because it's a krakenBONE sword and not a frost weapon.

Although I think many people often confuse the krakenbone material to today's idea of a frost blade. But even then, I am old school... with frost blades originally being teeth. Not sure how I feel about the diamond ice/crystal blades stuff in the new fluff but they should have kept it separate and or categorized it something else.

You're not actually old school. :) back in 3e Frost blades were originally chainsword teeth that had kraken teeth in them. The kraken teeth were described as being ice like, hence the name frost blade. This remains true in the latest codexes today: Frost swords are still chainswords with kraken teeth. Ragnar was the only one who ever had this modeled until last years SW upgrade pack.

The crysyaline axes - frost axes - were a 5th edition concoctation were they described the axes being energized diamond. Harald's and Krom were the first models to depict this.

I only asked because i thought the icy looking teeth would be fluff appropiate and also look striking against the bone blade. Pay me no mind though - the whole thing you've done is ingenius and looks fantastic as is.

You're not actually old school. :) back in 3e Frost blades were originally chainsword teeth that had kraken teeth in them. The kraken teeth were described as being ice like, hence the name frost blade. This remains true in the latest codexes today: Frost swords are still chainswords with kraken teeth. Ragnar was the only one who ever had this modeled until last years SW upgrade pack.

The crysyaline axes - frost axes - were a 5th edition concoctation were they described the axes being energized diamond. Harald's and Krom were the first models to depict this.

I only asked because i thought the icy looking teeth would be fluff appropiate and also look striking against the bone blade. Pay me no mind though - the whole thing you've done is ingenius and looks fantastic as is.

Thank you for the brief history lesson. But your fluff appropriate isn't actually fluff accurate. One of the earliest mentions of a frost weapon comes from the 2nd edition codex (1994), pg38 in a cut out wargear card titled FROSTFANG. Stating that it's original chainsaw blade fashioned from rare metal.

In the 3rd edition SW codex supplement (2000) pg15, Frost blade or Frost axe. The fluff changes a tiny bit, saying that Iron Priest utilize the diamond-sharp fangs of the ice kraken, as teeth for chainsaw blades. Still being considered as teeth/bone and not described as ice like.

In 5th edition SW codex (2009) pg 57. Frost blades are described as diamond-shard fangs of the ice kraken for chainsaw blades. Frost axes made from energized diamond, giving them the appearance of blades forged from purest ice. Frost blades still being bone/teeth and the frost axe as being energized, diamond giving it a bluish hue in color... Which my krakenbone sword with teeth attached have nothing to do with it being diamond or energized.

In the 7th edition SW codex (Aug 2014) pg 97, Frost Blades... whether it is made from the razor-sharp fangs of an ice kraken or a glacial shard of energised diamond etc etc etc.

I've only been playing space wolves since rogue trader days when it was more of an RPG like D&D and from early 2nd edition onwards. My only army since has been Space Wolves.

So anyway, going back to the krakenbone sword. No, I will not paint the teeth as if they were crystallized or bluish in color. If I did so, it would take away from the entire sword, as it is a collection of various bone fragments and teeth. Therefore it's going to remain bone-like in colour (still a PIP/WIP), staying true to its name sake, because I'm old school like that....

Well it looks like your old school is even older school than mine! I did not know that Ragnar's sword was a "rare metal."

Hope I did not ovestep. Was not my intention.

Haha no it's all good!

My friends and I have this thing were instead of saying, "cause I'm Batman!" we say, "cause I'm old school" ... It's more of an inside joke thing but the meaning behind it, is the same for us. No harm done! Just wanted to clarify the lore part.

Some awesome work here. I love the mix of bitz you've used - very inspiring

One question - and I'm sure it's been asked before, but my search-fu is failing me - but where is this head lifted from?

THE GODLESS

Uthred The Godless

/quote]

Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers,

Widowmaker

Some awesome work here. I love the mix of bitz you've used - very inspiring

One question - and I'm sure it's been asked before, but my search-fu is failing me - but where is this head lifted from?

THE GODLESS

Uthred The Godless

/quote]

Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers,

Widowmaker

I'm fairly sure it's from the Chaos Marauder kit. Which is out of print apparently.

Edit: hard to fund just the heads on ebay. They're from the Marauder Horesmen kit

• 2 weeks later...
that pelt would be from the thunder wolf box set, yes! It's a shame not all of the heads were of he same quality and design as they are in that chaos marauder horsemen. You'd think that same template would be used for the sons of Russ but instead you get Mohawks and half Mohawks and balding grey hunters, excess top knots etc etc.

• 1 month later...

WIP

gallery_24878_5750_28483.jpg

STAGE ONE: Mark of the Wulfen (Yellow-Eyed. Harder, Faster, Better, Stronger)

A warrior of the 13th howls as Prospero burned around him. The men are led by Bulveye, lord of the 13th great company, sword brother to the Wolf King, Leman Russ. While the shock troops/underfang beast, are led by a Jarl known as Jorin Bloodfang (my way of fixing GW fluff inconsistency).

gallery_24878_5750_91315.jpg

STAGE TWO: Curse of the Wulfen (Embrace the beast. Unleash the fury. Winter is Coming!)

My work in progress heresy era wulfen. My personal homage to both the old artworks seen on the Collected Visions book and to the old metal wulfen models during the Eye of Codex supplement. I'm not a fan of the new plastic models, from the waist down its just a waste of plastic and potential. A huge disappointment and whom ever designed the models, you should be ashamed! Sadly I'm not a fan of the current wulfen plastic conversions. Using terminator legs with the new wulfen torsos doesn't look right to me. For some reason it looks just off, even if you try to add some padding...

The skálds on Fenris tell a story about a starving wolf pack back on ancient terra. One of the whelps rejects the rules of the pack, rationalizing his decision by saying that filling one’s belly is more important than following a code. The young wolf leaves the others and begs for food from men. The men feed him. A year passes, the wolf has lived among the men and hunts with them. One day the men shoot an old wolf, and the wolf who runs with men realizes that the men have wounded the alpha of his former pack. As the old wolf dies, he says to the young wolf:

‘I have lived my life like a worthy wolf, I have hunted a lot and shared many prey with my brothers, so now I die happy. But you will live your life in shame and alone, in a world to which you do not belong, for you have rejected the dignity of a free wolf to have a full stomach. You have become unworthy. Wherever you go, you will be treated with contempt; you belong neither to the world of wolves nor to that of men... This will teach you that hunger comes and goes, but dignity, once lost, never returns.’

--EDIT--

Thank you for looking!

Archived