Vlka Fenryka: WIP/PIP + Warband Fluff

MaveriK

The Marauder Horsemen heads are fantastic, agreed. The problem is you bought out all the bits sites! LOL. I've been searching for the last week or so but have yet to find a site that has any in stock.

Thanks for the heads up on the dwarf heads. I almost pulled the trigger on ordering the box. Have to have another look.

Hehe, nicely done Mav. You're minis always ooze character. Looking forward to a group pic of the old pack where they're done ;) (no pressure obviously).

• 1 month later...

:: WIP Lone Wolf ::

gallery_24878_5750_30044.jpg

Joramun of the Rout. Known as skinchanger, the sellsword or the exiled wolf.

gallery_24878_5750_142700.jpg

The skjalds tell stories of the wildling named Joramun, like many within the Great Company of the Redmaw; he is marked by the wulfen curse. When Joramun became the last survivor of his Grey Hunter pack, the man became the legend he is known today; forever touched by Lokyar, the Great Lone Wolf.

Upon a special request and approval by both Redmaw and Ulrik, the self-imposed exiled Joramun now calls Valdrmani (The Wolf Moon) his new home and training grounds to help control the beast within. Joramun fights for no specific Wolf Lord or great company. Earning him the name of the sellsword or berserker for hire. Often times he is considered as an ill-omen and looked upon as a rogue by a few members of the Rout. But when called upon by the warlords of Fenris, Joramun is more than willing to lend his strength and to unleash his murdermake.

gallery_24878_5750_170765.jpg

Lone Wolf in TDA with Chainfist and Wolf Claw. I still have more I want to do with him. Clean up mold lines, add more bits or change a few things. But for now this guy will do... I hope you like him!

-EDIT-

Sorry for the lack of updates, mavgirl and I are currently still on vacation. We've been traveling from the Philippines, Bali and Thailand. Once I get back home, I can upload the finished and painted stuff. Have a good summer guys!

I love them. i was trying to d oKraken Slayers myself, now you give me some ideas what to use for harpoons.

The only thing i'm not sure is the direction of the wind on Skaadi miniature: hair vs. spear cloth. Maybe heating it a little bit to curve backwards will help (or greenstuff it). Nevertheless, it's my favorite of your Skaadi miniatures so far!

I completely agree with you on the spear! I was iffy about it when the piece was glued on. It didn't feel right but it was still in the WIP mode and a reason why I post my work to get some insight and suggestions. I've always pride myself with the fluidity and symmetry when it came to my work. Anyway, I played around with the plastic and boiled some water... so thank you for pushing me to do better. Lesson of the day, if your gut says it doesn't feel right. Listen to your gut!!!

On other news, I have a three day weekend this week. I hopefully can start painting again! I also can't wait to use the new Skitarii range bits for some sevitors. The current look and feel of the tech servitors currently available IMHO look horrid... I feel like can do better for my Iron Priest.

:: WIP ::

gallery_24878_5750_6269.jpg

Iron Priest Finng

Mav put this guy on hold and waited for the Mechanicus models to come out. He replaced the chainblade with an arm from one of the battle servitors. Hopefully the package arrived and ready once we get back from holidays.

Sounds well planned. Hope the hols have been good.

• 3 months later...

gallery_24878_5750_45100.jpg

These feral beauties belong to my second Thunderwolf pack.

gallery_24878_5750_13218.jpg

Frostborn Maiden on Alpha. She counts as a Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf mount.

gallery_24878_5750_84466.jpg

Daughters of Fenris riding into battle...

gallery_24878_5750_84660.jpg

She belongs to my third pack of Thunderwolves.

gallery_24878_5750_182167.jpg
Frostborn Maiden with Wolf Claw and Storm Shield (will be placed on her back) on Thunderwolf mount.

--EDIT--

Thanks for looking. More coming...

gallery_24878_5750_112787.jpg

A man of the Rout is a scary sight in the eyes of the enemy. A much more intimidating sight is a lone executioner walking slowly into the mayhem while carrying two Fenrisian blades in each hand...

gallery_24878_5750_191774.jpg

"is there no one else? a worthy opponent? I seek a glorious death worthy of a saga. I am a son of Russ. I am a man of the Rout. I am Vlka Fenryka!!!!" - Unnamed Lone Wolf of the VI Legion.

--EDIT--

Thanks for looking, more coming...

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_5750/gallery_24878_5750_124239.jpg

Do you have any pictures Mav? I'd be really interested to see how you managed that.

seconded.

I do but it's just all in black primer right now. I will start paint on it this weekend. As most of you know I only use games workshop bits and pieces. I ended up adding some spoils or war battle armour by using a Maleceptor head piece with blinders (dwarf shields) running along the side head piece. Blinders like they do on horses. My fluff is that wolf priest and rune priest all decided to keep the mastodon blinded for control and from going on a stampede hahahaha the runes on the shield also help the rider control and tame the beast. I'm still trying to work out how to put Logan and his stupid sled into the mix....

from the "Does anyone ever run Logan on his sled?" thread.

gallery_24878_5750_53523.jpg

This is my version/vision of Stormrider for Great Wolf, Logan Grimnar...

gallery_24878_5750_182796.jpg

Fenrisian Mastodon Warmonger. People need to think outside the box and start being original with their ideas. When you're going to build or kit-bash a model, it has to look right. It has to make sense. But more importantly, it has to flow and have that symmetry.

gallery_24878_5750_59950.jpg

Kraken Slayers leading the stampede. The three Space Wolves were inspired by the series Vikings. I have two more in the works carrying shields. I really liked the episode when the Vikings took Paris. The siege warfare gave me ideas on doing something similar with my Warband. I wanted to do and plan on making a shield wall and a Space Wolves carrying a battering ram... Those three figures is a start.

--EDIT--

Thanks for looking!

Between this update and Fyth's work I have inspiration a plenty. Just have to avoid staring at all the new Tau stuff....

I have to know, where did those blades come from on your "lone executioner" there? They are beautiful, and it's such a great pose. 

Keep up the great work Mav! :wink:

• 3 months later...

Just want to say how motivating your work has been. I stumbled upon your converted Scions looking to start an Auxillary Guardsman force to my Wolves as I am near completion and now I want to just start over on my Wolves and go for uniqueness as well!!

What is more inspiring is I read that you have only really used FW and GW bits?! That is awesome and incredible. I see it now after doing some research. Question though: The plated 'skirt' thing between the Scion's legs and on a couple Space Wolves of yours; where did you come across that?

Just want to say how motivating your work has been. I stumbled upon your converted Scions looking to start an Auxillary Guardsman force to my Wolves as I am near completion and now I want to just start over on my Wolves and go for uniqueness as well!!

What is more inspiring is I read that you have only really used FW and GW bits?! That is awesome and incredible. I see it now after doing some research. Question though: The plated 'skirt' thing between the Scion's legs and on a couple Space Wolves of yours; where did you come across that?

Thanks. As for the scion bit, look up Ork Nobz.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mav- any update on the stormrider?

It's done, just missing a Valkyrie rider. I still need to figure out how o incorporate Logan, but I will see once the new fantasy dwarves come out. I've been busy and got distracted with the betrayal plastic kits. Updates coming this weekend!

gallery_24878_5750_35586.jpg

Skorpa the Pale Horseman. Fleshmaker of the Rout.

During the great crusade, Skorpa along with a watch pack, were sent by the Wolf King on orders from the Sigillite, to accompany the Imperial Heralds Legion of the 7th company. Sometime after the Edict of Nikaea, Skorpa was instructed by the Wolf King to investigate and learn more about his brother Aurelian's chaplain program. Under the counsel of a chaplain named Xaphen, the Fleshmaker undertook his investigation, unfortunately the two astartes had very different ideologies and never got along.

Xaphen thinking Skorpa but a pagan, was arrogant towards the son of Russ and belittled the Fleshmaker throughout his tutelage. “He is but a savage. A pagan dog who will not understand our devotion or our beliefs.” - Xaphen to his Primarch Aurelian of the XVII Legion. Insulting the Fenrisian was a daily routine for Xaphen. But Skorpa held back the fury that raged inside him and waited for his moment.

Eventually Skorpa fulfilled his duties and was deemed reeducated in the eyes of Xaphen. Skorpa was then urged to have a death mask forged as a rite of passage from pagan to chaplain. Going as far as to insult the wolf and ordering him to a bath and to groom himself to look proper in the eyes of the imperium.

gallery_24878_5750_69653.jpg
In his defiance, Skorpa got his revenge on Xaphen by killing his favored animal, a terran like horse breed of Colchis. Using the head as his personal death mask, while leaving the bloodied carcass on Xaphen's prayer altar and words written on the walls simply saying, the pagan was here!

On route back to Fenris, Skorpa and his watch pack sent their reports back to both the Leman of the Russ and Malcador the Sigillite. In his report and to the amusement of the Wolf King, Skorpa said that they did not smell right and that the frostborn should remain in the ways of Fenris. Oathsworn to the Allfather and to the Wolf King.

gallery_24878_5750_68369.jpg

I changed the main gun of the kaerls to look more like autoguns.

gallery_24878_5750_18079.jpg

3 of the 5 kaerls that I've been working on the side. I added a combat droid/objective marker with them.

-- EDIT --

Thanks for looking. More updates on the way!!!

WIP

gallery_24878_5750_64502.jpg

Kaerl guard of the Aett

gallery_24878_5750_30574.jpg

Kaerl guard planetary defense force with battle driod. They will have a simple paint scheme. Seen here http://taleofpainters.blogspot.ca/2014/07/showcase-tempestus-scions.html

gallery_24878_5750_44746.jpg

Kaerls from the Morekborn Squad. Corax White undercoat...

gallery_24878_5750_12775.jpg

gallery_24878_5750_69733.jpg

gallery_24878_5750_11376.jpg

gallery_24878_5750_78095.jpg

gallery_24878_5750_34195.jpg

--EDIT--

Thank you for looking!

Archived