Vlka Fenryka: WIP/PIP + Warband Fluff

MaveriK

New lighting!

Pun intended, this shows your painting and craft in an entirely new light. The red on the rhino is very vibrant and stands out nicely, moreso I'm sure on the tabletop. I still want that banner drapery!! Are you going to do anything more with it or leave it black?

As for the scout, something I've discovered that (I think) adds a bit more life to the model, is to use ogryn flesh wash on the eye sockets to give them a purplish hue. Not quite like bruising, more like a darkened circle effect like they try to to get you to buy product for on all those late-night infomercials.

It reminds me to ask.. I never know if and when these updates show a finalized paint job, so I don't know when to praise and when to make suggestions. <_<

@Wulfebane, I don't think my work will ever be officially completed. Even my finished models always seem to be updated from time to time, and as people have seen in this thread, I'm not afraid to change something already completed or in the WIP phase from adding a new bit or have a certain piece replaced. Thank you for the suggestion on the eyes, I might just try that wash out! As for the banner, your right! it is a discontinued piece. I didn't realize it until you guys mentioned it, and I had a quick look through the GW site. I'm lucky to have one more piece! I'm painting the next banner red, and I'm leaving this banner black. Only because the "sails and boats" represent my rhino's and how my lost company moves about in battle. As written on ACT IV, it fits nicely with my fluff and the quote from the novel...

"Sails were the most distance-visible aspect of a boat, so they were often used to declare intention. A straw-yellow sail invited trade and barter. A purple sail indicated aett-mourning, the cut thread of a chief or a queen. A white sail, like the one dragging Fith’s wyrmboat, proclaimed open approach and embassy. A black sail, like the ones the Balt had come in under, was a treacherous sail, because it hid its declaration in the night, and thus defied the convention. A red sail was an open announcement of the intention to murder." - Fith, of the Ascommani. Prospero Burns.

--EDIT--
(Updated Font Size) More updates to come! oh and I will start taking pictures of the completed to the nearly completed works, in this light or a natural light. Thank you for looking!

Hjolda it's really red. I thought it was my slight colorblindness with red color, but it must have been the light.

Forget what I said, I love the red :) !

I like the black sail theme from the book, really nice and fluffy.

Looking forward to new updates, keep up the inspiring work brother!

As for the banner, your right! it is a discontinued piece.

Boooo... Now I have to restart the search for a suitable compromise to that one. Excellent blending with the fluff! I guess I'll have to break down and actually buy the book now, since so many praise it.

....unless someone knows where to get a pdf? Anybody? Yes? :lol:

*trudges off, muttering about banners*

Hey Mav,

The brighter lighting shows off their true colors much better. I'm liking my likeness that much more now :lol:

As to the banner, GW used to not have a problem with people who owned the older Codices to photo copy them for use on their models. In fact, they used to have colored as well as plain for those that wanted to paint their them themselves. Perhaps if you know someone who has one of the older Codices, you may ask them to print the appropriate page(s) and all you would have to do is mount them and paint them if you wish.

I can't recall if you've mentioned it, but what color did you use for the grey on the rhino? Is it a custom mix, or is it a standard color?

I ask, because I'm going with a similar shade of grey for my Wolves. For the infantry, I've been doing it with a basecoat of astronomicon grey and a black wash, which has worked quite well. But for the tanks, the washes end up making things look a bit odd and splotchy, so I've had some trouble getting the color right on them.

@Bulweih, thank you! I really wanted to incorporate the subtle fluff that was given to us by Dan Abnett. The color of the sails really help represent my lost company.

@Wulfebane, I'm glad I held off on posting my fluff until Prospero Burns came out. I wanted to see what juicy new insights and added fluff, I could use to incorporate onto my lost company. I know hey? the banner in question, is a perfect length that covers a rhino's door. Sadly I don't see any more of that banner on the GW site, so I'm guessing it's discontinued. It's a real shame because I might need more in the future! I hope you enjoy the book.. take it for what its worth. It is, what it is.

@Growler67, thanks brother! I hope your doing okay. From now on, I will photograph my finished works using, natural light. It helps highlight my army more so on a different light.

@Dahli Llama, I coat my models chaos black spray primer. Then I use the citadel spray gun with adeptus battle grey. From there I use washes, and dry brush all sorts of different shades of grey to white, for highlights on my models.

----

gallery_24878_5750_107548.jpg

what do you see when you look at this? is it trash? or just a junk piece? ...I see potential. More on this later!

re-use, reduce and recycle!

gallery_24878_5748_413492.jpg

PIP, Fenris Hunter (Grey Slayer/Grey Hunter) I still need to work on his face, and subtle highlights on the model as a whole.

gallery_24878_5748_222172.jpg

An honored member of the Rout, seen rushing here into action, ready to unleash the murder-make.

gallery_24878_5748_131895.jpg

As most of you already know, I name my models after certain users here at the Fang. It helps represent the brotherhood all the better! This way, I get to bring my wolf brothers with me and share in all the glory, from the highs, to the lows from fighting on the battlefield. This model is my honorary model for Chris Wraight. It's my own special way of welcoming him amongst the sons of Russ here at the Fang, and at B&C. We look forward to your book! and thank you for representing our chapter in your telling of The Battle of the Fang.

--EDIT--

Updated Font Size. C & C are welcomed. More about this model, along with the art of symmetry, and how to build dynamic poses on my blog. Thank you for looking!

As most of you already know, I name my models after certain users here at the Fang. It helps represent the brotherhood all the better! This way, I get to bring my wolf brothers with me and share in all the glory, from the highs, to the lows from fighting on the battlefield. This model is my honorary model for Chris Wraight. It's my own special way of welcoming him amongst the sons of Russ here at the Fang, and at B&C. We look forward to your book! and thank you for representing our chapter in your telling of The Battle of the Fang.

Ah - I'm honoured! That is a very, very cool model, and captures the Wolves perfectly.

Now I'm thinking... future characters... powermace... hmm...

Ah - I'm honoured! That is a very, very cool model, and captures the Wolves perfectly.

Now I'm thinking... future characters... powermace... hmm...

What's that? Taking suggestions?? :)

I'd like to see a pony, a pink rocket launc-- err, wait. Too much caffeine..... nvm.

@maverik_girl, it's spraying bullets with a swinging motion, classic John Woo move! well... one of his classic gun-play action movie moves. But I guess it does seem he's doing a curve the bullet, arm swing from the movie WANTED. LOL

@Chris Wraight, no.. the honor is ours wolf brother! and may your stay here at the FANG be long, and glorious.

---

On other news, I just finished basing my second Fenris Hunter pack. I'll post updated pictures in a few hours, as it's almost 3:00am here in Western Canada. I'm currently working on painting the following: Lone Wolf, Long Fangs, Rune Priest and a Drop pod.

gallery_24878_5750_72096.jpggallery_24878_5750_50540.jpggallery_24878_5750_6674.jpg

WIP Lone Wolf, terminator armor with storm shield and chainfist. An homage to our wolf brother here at the FANG, this lone warrior is none other than Insane Psychopath.

--EDIT--

Updated Font Size. C & C are welcomed. Thank you for looking!

Very nice works again brother! Nice recycling on the old leg pair.

Could it be that there's the slightest mouldline on his left shoulderguard in the middle? Or am I just imagining that agian?

What shield did you use for your lone wolf? Looks awesome! Also loving the chainfist, I'm trying to get my hands on two of these, but no luck just yet.

Btw.: You guys still talk in private do you? :P

Looks like something from the WHFB line, with some custom embellishments. I've got a couple of wooden shields myself but I forget which line they came from. You may try BitKingdom from the UK or TheWarStore in the US for bits orders.

The Art of Symmetry

gallery_24878_5750_107548.jpg
Looking through my bits box, I come across this long forgotten and out of print chaos piece. What do you see when you look at this old chaos raptor leg? there are allot of you, who would probably think nothing out of it, and maybe even some of you, might even consider it as just junk, or even just garbage. Since I don

Nice step by step pics, very nice indeed.

Realising you have the black belt in kit-bash(just didn't know where from ^_^ ), I thought I asked where the shield is from. I first missed out on it, because the sprue is photographed from the other side on GW's website, but now I've looked again, I spotted it :P .

But what I really must know: Where's that base from :lol: ?

The question you couldn't quite follow was really adressed to you and your wife, totally meant in the good way :lol: . I should have phrased it better I guess, never mind.

@Nrthstar, thank you! and I can't wait until my lone wolf is done (he's almost done)

@Dahli Llama and Bulweih, thank you!

@Wulfebane, I might do more step by step tutorials in the future.

---
gallery_24878_5748_72437.jpggallery_24878_5748_117801.jpg

gallery_24878_5748_139233.jpggallery_24878_5748_95480.jpg
Fenris Hunters, "HOWLERS" pack. (Grey Hunter/Grey Slayer)
-a little homage to Sgt. Rock and the Howling Commandos

gallery_24878_5748_56856.jpggallery_24878_5748_160378.jpg

gallery_24878_5748_49487.jpggallery_24878_5748_42993.jpg

gallery_24878_5748_40524.jpggallery_24878_5748_59054.jpg

gallery_24878_5748_98469.jpggallery_24878_5748_1917.jpg
Fenris Hunters, "GREYBEARDS" (Grey Hunters/Grey Slayers)
- These plastic minis are my older plastic space marines. They have been repainted, re-built and modified to their current incarnation. These members of the Rout, represent the greybeards here at the Fang. You know who you are!

--EDIT--

gallery_24878_5748_44636.jpggallery_24878_5748_10977.jpg
Sparrowhawk of the Vlka Fenryka (Njal Stormcaller)

gallery_24878_5748_16288.jpggallery_24878_5748_5285.jpg
Red Cloud of the Vlka Fenryka (Wolf Guard Battle Leader)
- homage to Red Cloud of the Lakota Sioux

WAR WOLVES OF FENRIS

ACT I: The Phantom Wolves Return
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...;showentry=6724

ACT II: Femmora, Skadi the she Wolf
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...;showentry=6880

ACT III: The Rout, Agents of Morkai
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...;showentry=6881

ACT IV: Way of the Wolf
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...;showentry=6997

gallery_24878_5748_31815.jpggallery_24878_5748_67712.jpg
Bloodfang (Wulfen Lord/Lone Wolf)

gallery_24878_5748_82635.jpggallery_24878_5748_132502.jpg

gallery_24878_5748_127649.jpggallery_24878_5748_100049.jpg
Fift Godsmote of the Vlka Fenryka (Arjac Rockfist)

--EDIT--

gallery_24878_5748_26692.jpggallery_24878_5748_38759.jpg
Fenris Hunter, MaveriK (Grey Hunter/Grey Slayer) I dunno what it is about this guy, but he's my favorite! He also has a bolter attached on his back.

--EDIT--

Archived