Vlka Fenryka: WIP/PIP + Warband Fluff

MaveriK

Before

gallery_24878_5748_139626.jpggallery_24878_5748_115272.jpg
Heimdall Longsword. War Wolves of Fenris Dreadnought. Twin-linked Heavy Bolters and Missile Launchers

After

gallery_24878_5748_89182.jpggallery_24878_5748_90547.jpg
Heimdall Longsword. War Wolves of Fenris Dreadnought. Twin-linked Heavy Bolters and Missile Launchers

There are a few things in this hobby that can make or break a model. You can have the best painted piece, but what can kill that model is a static pose. You can have a dynamic looking model, with a sub-par paint job, but what can kill it is, an ugly base. I've always felt that something was missing in Heimdall. Once my army painter highland turf arrived. I knew then, that it would help bring some life into the model, while giving it's base, levels and depth.

This goes back to my The Art of Symmetry post. There has to be a balance, and compliment pieces in each plastic/resin/metal bit you add. It's the little details and accents/add-on's that can make a model truly amazing. I've known many people whom are far better painters than I, and yet end up with ugly models with nice paint jobs. It's sad, because so much effort is put in the painting, that they've neglected the posing... making the piece look like statues, lacking "action" and "fluidity"

I guess it's something for everyone to think about! my advice, don't be afraid to be bold and to take risk when building, and re-building a model. This thread is a testament to that, as most of you have already seen, that I've taken and changed models throughout their different stages of development. Good luck and happy hunting.

--EDIT--
Updated Font Size. Thank you for looking!

The Greypelts "Howlers" Grey Hunter/Grey Slayer pack.

gallery_24878_5748_5991.jpggallery_24878_5748_3169.jpg
First picture: Spacefrisian, Night Runner. Second picture: Night Runner, Chris Wraight, Ladislao.

gallery_24878_5748_25026.jpggallery_24878_5748_60468.jpg
First picture: Night Runner. Second picture: Night Runner, Chris Wraight.

gallery_24878_5748_25040.jpggallery_24878_5748_41760.jpg
First picture: Ladislao, Durfast Spiritwolf. Second picture: Ladislao.

gallery_24878_5748_13043.jpggallery_24878_5748_66733.jpg
First picture: Durfast Spiritwolf. Second picture: Orphus

gallery_24878_5748_8879.jpggallery_24878_5748_430.jpg
First picture: WG Vrox, Vash113. Second picture: Vash113, Darkseer.

gallery_24878_5748_81928.jpggallery_24878_5748_24359.jpg
First picture: Darkseer. (Inspired by Adam's own MoTW model) Second picture: Orphus, Megalodon.

gallery_24878_5748_43782.jpggallery_24878_5748_41582.jpg
This makes up my second Grey Hunter/Grey Slayer pack. The Howlers, is one of the names from both, Rogue Trader and Book of Astromonican, Space Wolf packs.

--EDIT--
Updated Font Size. Thank you for looking! I'm also working on my GODSMOTE Version 2. (Arjac Rockfist)

Objective Marker

gallery_24878_5748_89131.jpggallery_24878_5748_116854.jpg
Highland turf helps bring some life into the base, giving it levels and depth.

gallery_24878_5748_11380.jpggallery_24878_5748_49157.jpg
Highland turf helps bring some life into the base, giving it levels and depth.

This goes back to my The Art of Symmetry post on this thread. There has to be a balance, and compliment pieces in each plastic/resin/metal bit you add. It's the little details and accents/add-on's that can make a model truly amazing. I've known many people whom are far better painters than I, and yet end up with ugly models with nice paint jobs. It's sad, because so much effort is put in the painting, that they've neglected the posing... making the piece look like statues, lacking "action" and "fluidity"

--EDIT--

Updated Font Size.

Objective Marker

gallery_24878_5748_64961.jpggallery_24878_5748_22907.jpg
Trueclaw Banner, objective marker

gallery_24878_5748_15611.jpggallery_24878_5748_21263.jpg

gallery_24878_5748_75671.jpggallery_24878_5748_49019.jpg

Beyond the "Grove of Heroes" of forgotten name-stones that once surrounded the Grand Annulus. Giant relics, long removed from the Hall of the Great Wolf, placed into the valley beyond the walls of the Fang, lies another hidden treasure. During the first great hunt, Great Wolf Bjorn the Fell-Handed lost one of his mighty warbands to a warp storm. The warband now returned, holds this place just as sacred. For it holds the "Trueclaw Great Company Banner" of the first Great Wolf. The Phantom Wolves, now roam the sea of stars without a master or Great Wolf to lead them. Patrolling the borders of the Wolf-Kingdom, and fighting in the name of their Wolf King, Leman Russ.

--EDIT--
(Updated Font Size) Coming soon, a brand new objective marker!! C & C are welcomed. Thank you for looking.

Objective Marker

gallery_24878_5748_28322.jpggallery_24878_5748_274.jpg
The Rout's pikemen, lay rest on the eve of a murder-make, while aging a piece of meat.

gallery_24878_5748_77278.jpggallery_24878_5748_50858.jpg
Aging meat - Dry Aging.

When making Space Wolf objective markers, people really need to push themselves to be far more creative, original and imaginative. I can't tell you how boring it is for me to see barrels of ale, as objective markers for Space Wolf armies. I mean, what does that tell other people about our chapter? Thanks to the novels, Prospero Burns and Battle of the Fang. The whole mindset and grim-dark ideology of the Rout, brings us more depth and gives us a more mature approach, to the Sons of Russ. When making SW objective markers, people need to expand their horizons in order to show the brutality and feral ways of the Vlka Fenryka. Only then can you come up with creative and original ideas in making Space Wolf objective markers.

--EDIT--
Updated Font Size. C & C are welcomed. Thank you for looking!

When making Space Wolf objective markers, people really need to push themselves to be far more creative, original and imaginative. I can't tell you how boring it is for me to see barrels of ale, as objective markers for Space Wolf armies. I mean, what does that tell other people about our chapter? Thanks to the novels, Prospero Burns and Battle of the Fang. The whole mindset and grim-dark ideology of the Rout, brings us more depth and gives us a more mature approach, to the Sons of Russ. When making SW objective markers, people need to expand their horizons in order to show the brutality and feral ways of the Vlka Fenryka. Only then can you come up with creative and original ideas in making Space Wolf objective markers.

x2! The whole barrels of ale motif is played out.

huh?! it seems like NOT allot of people commenting on your work, just allot of people peeking LOL. I guess you should stop commenting and complimenting on other people's work, since they don't bother with yours. It's that, or your work isn't good enough, and is unappreciated. Okay, your work sucks Mav I'm sorry.... and I'm allowed to say that, I think I'm the only one who can ^_^ alright, going back on topic!!! I love the pikemen objective. It's different, but in a good way. It's original and savage looking, very fitting for your lost company. I share Wulfebane's sentiment.

Are these guys 13th Company, because right now it looks like VoidOps are a nogo? I didn't read all 12 pages, and skipped the fluff because the pictures were too legit to quit.

I did however copy/paste alot of these guys for conversion ideas. You've got that whole savage theme down to a T.

gallery_24878_5748_32561.jpggallery_24878_5748_92670.jpg

@Chapter Master Ignis Domus, aye I agree with you. I like how my new Shield Maiden looks more savage, and turned out better than my old concept

@forte, thank you wolf brother!

@Firenze, awesome and thank you! I'm glad that my lost company has inspired your army, as I have been inspired by many people here in the Fang.

@Dahli Llama, I dunno how to describe it? I just do it and then the dynamic poses just happens. I guess it's just an over-active imagination

@Chef Wulfen and CanisD, aye wolf brothers! an epic conclusion to my Lost Company. Thank you both! I'm glad you guys enjoyed the sagas.

@TiguriusX, intellectual property? LOL I'll look into it since I have several lawyer colleges who could help me. If anything, I'm fine with people knowing where to give the credit too, MaveriK-Pattern?!? LOL and thank you! I'm glad you like your model. I'm sure he will slay many enemies in your name, and your saga will live on in my Space Wolves.

gallery_24878_5748_82214.jpggallery_24878_5748_23386.jpg

@hendrik, 5 times? haha I guess I should have shown a better example huh? my bad wolf brother!

@Wulfebane, I'm glad you approve and thank you! as for the ego thing, ignore MavGirl, she's just being proud or protective? I guess!? LOL

@Iacton Qruze, thank you! it means allot coming from a pro such as yourself. The longboat? I got it at the mall from a Science shop/store. They sell everything from microscopes, binoculars, fossils, toys, puzzles and history stuff, like toy castles, animals, and dinosaurs. I found several cheap viking longboats there, not to mention several plastic fossils (mammoth) you could break away from clay.

@Marshal2 Crusaders, thank you! and nope they're not 13th Company, if they were I wouldn't be able to use my dreadnoughts and rhinos. Although, I have the option to play them as 13th Company with the new SW codex.

@Rikochet, huh? oh ignore MavGirl, she's just being proud or protective? I guess!? LOL I don't really care if people comment or not. However, I wouldn't mind having helpful critiques now and then. I mean, how else can I grow and improve if all your told is "keep up the good work, or nice job" their great and all but when someone mentioned several pages back that I should make use of "ogryn flesh wash" now that advice really made a difference in my work and army. As for those who decide to do actual carbon copies, just as long as it's credited back to me I'm cool with it.

gallery_24878_5748_46758.jpggallery_24878_5748_40535.jpg

--EDIT--
(Updated Font Size) I'm currently working on my Summer's Advance Vow, so keep an eye out for it! C & C are welcomed. Thank you for looking!

x2! The whole barrels of ale motif is played out.

Yes, I agree with this aswell. But, until I can gather enough bits and creative thoughts to build my own said objective markers, my ale barrels will have to do! B)

And I second the origins of the Dragonship! ;)

This goes back to my The Art of Symmetry post on this thread. There has to be a balance, and compliment pieces in each plastic/resin/metal bit you add. It's the little details and accents/add-on's that can make a model truly amazing. I've known many people whom are far better painters than I, and yet end up with ugly models with nice paint jobs. It's sad, because so much effort is put in the painting, that they've neglected the posing... making the piece look like statues, lacking "action" and "fluidity"

[/size][/font]

I honestly think it may also have something to do with your photography as well. The pictures are never just static with a single model on a bland white backdrop. There's always something going on in the background and the granite counter-top underneath them fits in perfectly.

The basing is also astounding. I recently picked up some of the highland turf to spread in with my snow bases to make them a bit less static.

@Max

I concur, after my 5th or 6th comment of how awesome this all is I had to stop or feel disingenuous. I wish I had proper critiques but after building 4k worth of points I am only now attempting truly custom models. I do owe you thanks, your 13 put my friends chaos 13 to shame that he gave it up and went pure daemon.

I mean, how else can I grow and improve if all your told is "keep up the good work, or nice job" their great and all but when someone mentioned several pages back that I should make use of "ogryn flesh wash" now that advice really made a difference in my work and army.

Squeeee! That was me! ;)

Yeah, I have to chime in about the markers as well Mav. Really cool stuff. Where is that Owl from?? Did you GS it??

In regards to the ale barrels: I like them. They are easy to make and/or paint, they tell me that I like beer, enough to fight for it!! :) I kid, I kid. For those of us with less artistic skill, they are a simple way to, if nothing else, tie an objective into the feel of our armies. Not to down play your fine pieces of work Mav, we all wish we could have/make/design/own steal those!! :)

I don't know if I have said this before, but I like how you add bits of story into this thread. It feels like I am reading a book with beautifully illustrated pictures!!

End of Line

The owl is from the Sisters of Battle tank upgrade sprue, I believe. I have one somewheres in my misc bit bag. It's a most excellent bird, but I've no use for it at all...

All in all I love updates to this thread, though personally I'm not fond of bare arms on PA models. And that dread looks way too sleek to be at home anywhere but in an Eldar army.

The owl is from the Sisters of Battle tank upgrade sprue, I believe. I have one somewheres in my misc bit bag. It's a most excellent bird, but I've no use for it at all...

All in all I love updates to this thread, though personally I'm not fond of bare arms on PA models. And that dread looks way too sleek to be at home anywhere but in an Eldar army.

From the Wood elf range. Sister of battle never really have owl to my knolwege. Just from useing the Wood Elf stuff for a try that a WFb Beastman army, but I am more 40k player :rolleyes:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...odId=prod800866

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...odId=prod800868

MaveriK - I agree with the Object Marker. As why use Legion of the Damned due to my SW background for the tournaments to help theme them. But also when pick up models, seen Space Marines in another colour, remind me not to pick them up as it all to easy to pick up the object marker or wrong model in the heat of the game when we get to focuse. Also help oppent out again when rushing around & in focuse mood.

As why my Mark of Wulfen also have Shield so I can quick spot out who there or for taken wounds.

But also just look cool, a shot to try makeing some mini diorama. If my Bezerker army had gone though (was on hold for so long, lost intrest) then there would have been thing like Daemonic sword in the pile of skulls (sword in the stone sort of thing) & a Khorne Bezerker in mid air about to turn into a Bloodthirster like Dawn of War when a Champion turn into a Greater Daemon. But as said IF that army went ahead.

While IW has Black Templars with Chaos Icon of each Chaos God.

IP

I'm planning to put a few snow pieces on my third Grey Hunter pack. I remember someone asking me awhile back how I differentiate my packs. Well, one way I do it is by their base. Each packs have different themes on their bases.

gallery_24878_5748_72921.jpggallery_24878_5748_56628.jpg

@Kassill, yeah I love going to that Science shop. You get more options and variety, especially if you know what your looking for, or if you see something you think you can work. ie. crystal rocks for a Necron themed terrain, or the plastic dinosaur bones for objectives markers.

@Dahli Llama, agreed and thank you! I had the choice between highland turf or winter turf.. but I like the look of the highland better. All you need is a good digital camera with a macro function!

do you got any advice to make decent looking snow bases?! I've had issues with that before, and I don't find GW snow flock that great. Unfortunately I still have some GW snow flock, so I might as-well use them up. My method is as follows: I usually paint white on the spot where I'll add the white glue. Then I add the elmers glue, and add the snow flock. I've read and watch videos online on other methods.. I just haven't found the right one I like.

@Nrthstar, that's awesome man! my wolves usually like going out to find oath breakers and crush them for sport, in both my fluff-wise and actual table-top games.

@Wulfebane, haha I had a feeling it was you. Your opinions are always appreciated. You have an eye and talent when it comes to colors and painting in general.

@Chef Wulfen, thanks! wait until you see my choosers of the slain models

@Rune_Priest_Rhapsody, all good brother! and thank you. It's my way of keeping people entertained. Most people read by pictures only, those that actually read the bits and pieces get more from them.

@Olgerth Istaarn, wood elves! I swear if I ever picked up one Warhammer Fantasy, I'd definitely go wood elves. As for my dreadnought, it's my little homage to MechWarrior.

@maverik_girl, and you wonder why I never brought you to any of my martial arts tournaments... :dry::sleep::wacko::sweat:

@Insane Psychopath, agreed brother! it's all about eye candy and the cool factor. Oh and btw, my Lone Wolf named after you is almost done.

--EDIT--
(Updated Font Size) C & C are welcomed. Thank you for looking!

I hate you mav....(delivered south park style) I am half decent at converting and painting and when I see your work or DV8's i want to eat my brushes and green stuff.

You have achieved the highest compliment I can deliver, spoken out of respect for the fact that you have worked to that level that is beyond my meager capabilities.

I don't know if I have said this before, but I like how you add bits of story into this thread. It feels like I am reading a book with beautifully illustrated pictures!!

This sums up this thread for me. I mean.. how can anyone read a book without pictures?!?

@Dahli Llama, agreed and thank you! I had the choice between highland turf or winter turf.. but I like the look of the highland better. All you need is a good digital camera with a macro function!

I learned a trick recently (which is likely common knowledge) where you can drybrush turf in a lighter color to make it look more dead (or alive, depending). At first, I was nervous, thinking I'd simply rip the flock from the base, but if you're gentle enough, and with a very fine misting of paint on the brush, the glue will hold and it'll make for some nice blending. Anyways, just a thought for if/when you do winter bases (as if it's the spring thaw or something).

Archived