The Sekhmet+HH Emperor's Children: Imperial Fists Deathwing 12/4/24

Kizzdougs

Thanks everyone.

I've painted the Son of Horus veteran/reaver up to the weathering stage. The picture tones down the colour of the armour a little bit. Let me know what you think :)

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l522/kizzdougs/DSCN3887_zpsgkt8gyzv.jpg

The Space Wolf is excellently painted, but I must say I'm not really sold on it. I like that it's currently looking far less metallic, and I don't think it's too dark.

I don't know, maybe I just have a general apathy towards the Wolves.

That Diorama though is looking almost perfect. The painting is stunning, and the positioning is great. I'm nitpicking, but the only thing I think that would improve it is if the roles were reversed. Have the Custode at the bottom of the steps come to claim the Magnus for his legions crimes, and the Thousand Son at the top confronting him for the destruction on Prospreo.

I really like the SoH, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how you paint him.

Also where is that skull and chains bit from?

Thanks for the kind words! I can understand your apathy towards the VI Legion. It wasn't until I read Wolf King that I began to appreciate them a bit more.

With the diorama I wanted the Custode to be in the position of power, looking down on the Thousand Son in judgement.

The skull and chains are all separate pieces that I put together. The skull is from a Savage Orc topknot, and the chains are from the flail that comes in the Warriors of Chaos Chariot box set :)

That diorama is indeed awesome, beautiful work. And as far as the XVith legion marine, even though I like the catulan reavers, I would love to see you tackle the sea-green of the Sons of Horus.

You guilted me into painting the sea-green...

The diorama is indeed awesome as everyone else has stated. It's a thing of joy to look at those pictures.

As for the wolf, the one thing I do like about the repaint is that it brought out the eyes more. He looks more menacing now in my opinion.

And for the Son of Horus, I honestly would love to see your take on that sea foam green they have going on. However, that guy sure looks like he would be a hard-as-nails reaver.

Thanks, dude! Glad you like the repainted wolf. Just like GrandMagnus, you guilted me into painting the sea-green.

New wolf looks loads better!

Thanks, mate!

Echoing everyone else, that Wolf looks boss! I cant wait to see the Son of Horus, but my prejudice swings me in favor of the Wolf.

Haha, naturally. Hopefully you'll still approve of the SoH test mini.

I much prefer the wolf now, I think it's a good shade of grey, different from the light 40k, nice and gritty, very different from your usual style. Stick with the Wolves I'd say.

Glad you like how the wolf is looking. I still think he might be a bit too dark, but he is definitely better than before.

Thanks for looking ;)

That Space Wolf is rather nice, but that SOH...wow. Utterly amazing looking, it just pops in the right way. My only worry is you might get bored as he is in the same clean style as your Emp's Children, and I get the impression you'd like to experiment.

That Space Wolf is rather nice, but that SOH...wow. Utterly amazing looking, it just pops in the right way. My only worry is you might get bored as he is in the same clean style as your Emp's Children, and I get the impression you'd like to experiment.

He said it is up to the weathering stage, so I'm sure he'll be nice & gritty/bloody soon.

Edited by Legionary Pallas

He said it is up to the weathering stage, so I'm sure he'll be nice & gritty/bloody soon.

That'll teach me to not read the whole post! I have to say, I think I'd personally keep it as is just due to how crisp it is, but I'm excited to see how the weathering goes :)

I'm a bit up and down on my opinion with the Space Wolf. On the one it's well pa inter and looks pretty good. But it doesn't really look like a Space Wolf to me. It's feel a little too dark. I think that colour scheme would work really well for a unit of destroyers, but for normal marines the grey needs to be a shade lighter. Just my two cents.

Your Prospero diorama, and Reaver are outstanding though. Based on the test models I'd say go with the Sons. You could even theme the army alongside your loyalist EC. A few trophies etc;

Keep up the good work Kizz!

Edited by Praetor of Calth

The Sons of Horus looks vibrant and beautiful, but I'm still going to throw my vote behind The Wolves. The grey of the wolf you painted is just so ominous, they eyes are striking and, I think tackling the Rout gives you a lot of freedom when it comes to modeling and minor conversion to infuse character into each model. The Rout is the army I want to see you tackle.

As a few others have said, the SoH lends itself far better to your style. That being said I think you should do the wolf as going outside your comfort zone is how you get better

Well, as I have said:

Any advice for your fellow frater, any parting words of wisdom?

Don’t be afraid to stay in your comfort zone. A lot of people will tell you the opposite, to go out and try new things whenever you can, and while this is excellent advice, I feel that staying within your soft limits is equally important and necessary. For example, I can paint the color red with some modicum of skill. I like painting red, and thus quite a bit of my model collection is red (Khorne Berzerkers, Blood Angels, Evil Sunz Orks, et al.) This goes contrary to the standards set by our small society, which tells us that we should paint our individual armies in different color schemes so that we might be able tell them apart. I’m sorry, but how does this make sense? The differences between our armies should be expressed by something more than a simple pallet swap, they should be apparent in the aesthetic style of the miniatures sculpts themselves, in the larger composition of the army as a whole. While it is true that we do occasionally separate our armies by color, this should not be the deciding factor.

Anyways, I’m sorry about going off on that tangent. It’s an issue I feel rather passionate about, and I tend to rant on such topics.

One last thing, though. Don’t burn yourself out. If you start to get tired of painting your CSM footsloggers, switch it up and paint, say, a Rhino. Have a couple projects you can swap between at any given time. And please, please, paint something other than power armor once in a while. Trust me, you’ll thank yourself later.

But thanks for tolerating me, dudes. Hope to see y’all ‘round the interwebs.

Psycho

I think that you should do the Sons of Horus, because they suit your style so well. The Wolf is nice, and people have made fair points for doing such, but I love the Sons of Horus and your test miniature is awesome. But I'm definitely in the minority, so you'll probably end up doing the Wolves, which I also look forward too.

Your models have a distinct cleaness that makes them stand out from the rest I would advise you to keep up with those sharp colours instead of weathering it's what adheres more to your style I think.

As a few others have said, the SoH lends itself far better to your style. That being said I think you should do the wolf as going outside your comfort zone is how you get better

Well, as I have said:

Any advice for your fellow frater, any parting words of wisdom?

Don’t be afraid to stay in your comfort zone. A lot of people will tell you the opposite, to go out and try new things whenever you can, and while this is excellent advice, I feel that staying within your soft limits is equally important and necessary. For example, I can paint the color red with some modicum of skill. I like painting red, and thus quite a bit of my model collection is red (Khorne Berzerkers, Blood Angels, Evil Sunz Orks, et al.) This goes contrary to the standards set by our small society, which tells us that we should paint our individual armies in different color schemes so that we might be able tell them apart. I’m sorry, but how does this make sense? The differences between our armies should be expressed by something more than a simple pallet swap, they should be apparent in the aesthetic style of the miniatures sculpts themselves, in the larger composition of the army as a whole. While it is true that we do occasionally separate our armies by color, this should not be the deciding factor.

Anyways, I’m sorry about going off on that tangent. It’s an issue I feel rather passionate about, and I tend to rant on such topics.

One last thing, though. Don’t burn yourself out. If you start to get tired of painting your CSM footsloggers, switch it up and paint, say, a Rhino. Have a couple projects you can swap between at any given time. And please, please, paint something other than power armor once in a while. Trust me, you’ll thank yourself later.

But thanks for tolerating me, dudes. Hope to see y’all ‘round the interwebs.

Psycho

I think that you should do the Sons of Horus, because they suit your style so well. The Wolf is nice, and people have made fair points for doing such, but I love the Sons of Horus and your test miniature is awesome. But I'm definitely in the minority, so you'll probably end up doing the Wolves, which I also look forward too.

So he should never learn new techniques and improve on them because of....? Your points are "I like to paint red so I do it" and "armies should be defined other than their colour scheme".

Kizz is an excellent painter and I'd like to see him get even better and a gritty, weathered scheme is the perfect opportunity to do it. I love his ultra crisp, super clean style, in fact I like the TS, Custodian, and SoH more than the wolf, but trying a new style will only open up his skill pool and really let him do some amazing things.