Clever Girl... - Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Greyall

I'm still kinda speechless. It's like a brainchild is all grown up! :tu:

As a fellow writer, I have to say that's a brilliant analogy. Going to my sig :tu:

That, and now I can google search 'Inquisitor Godwyn' and she pops right up!

I'm still kinda speechless. It's like a brainchild is all grown up! :wub:

As a fellow writer, I have to say that's a brilliant analogy. Going to my sig :tu:

That's so awesome :tu: Seriously, that level of success is just... :tu:

I'm still kinda speechless. It's like a brainchild is all grown up! :D

Holy hell, it does, that's so awesome.

Thanks, everyone. Thank you very much.

Shadowstalker Grim's UM Captain is coming this afternoon. I'm happy with the guy, it's certainly one of my best, in terms of concept (well, the later concept, the idea for a savage+noble UM belongs to Grim, of course), wargear and "paper-to-miniature" potential. But he was nerve-wracking. It took me a while to get a pose for him and, after that, it took even longer to figure out how to decorate his armour without falling into the Mk5 armour cliché - UMs use that mark a lot. So I...got afraid of the drawing. Even though it went smoothly after a while, I still couldn't just stick to the job as I did in other pieces, and I'd take a few excuses to go play Space Marine.

It used to be much more frequent and last much longer, this fear of mine. I still have year-old drawings elft unfinished in my old sketchbook.

Alas, the UM is finally finished. I'll be posting it later.

Thanks for the interest, Death Knight. =)

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/065/a/f/octavius_grim___captain_of_the_ultramarines_by_greyall-d4rwrcr.jpg

Ok, so those are axes, not machetes but the Portuguese word for axe is "machado".

Anyway...

The premise...an Ultramarine Captain that looked both savage and as noble as only a son of Macragge can be.

It wasn't going to be easy. Ultramarines are pretty liberal as far as decorating their armour with skulls, so that wasn't the way.

But what about real skulls? All Chapters use them, but Ultramarines and their most faithful successors don't exactly think it's awesome to go around with a skull on themselves, they denounced the World Eaters for headtaking, during the Great Crusade. So there's a solution, but one-trick ponies don't cut it.

I could go for an Mk5 studded armour, but we've all seen hundreds of Ultramarines wearing those. They're awesome, but I wanted a real challenge, an UM captain should go around in richly detailed armour, with plenty of eagles and such. Also, using Low Gothic (English, for us viewers) instead of High Gothic (Latin) also makes Grim more "down-to-earth".

So enough of wearing bumper stickers stating how much of a bad boy you are. Octavius would have to show it by doing what Space Marines do best. And for all your doctrine-shattering purposes, there's no better tool than a chain-axe, available in every Frothing Sickos R'Us. And why not take two? As long as they're all decorated with inverted Omegas and eagles, everything should be fine...

The wolf-pelt cloak and the left shoulder pad (an adapted Dreadnought leg armour), as well as the crest, are Shadowstalker Grim's ideas, credit goes to him and it's due, since those are great elements that do lend a more dangerous look to the good Captain.

Next...Typhus!

I hope none of those queued for a drawing get mad at me, but Shamblin (he coloured a few of my drawings, for those who don't know) has a brother who's about to go to war, and he'd like for me to draw Typhus. I couldn't say no, hope you understand, I'll get back to your requests immediately and give my very best.

Cheers, everyone. And, Grim, I hope you like your UM Captain.

Awesome. just awesome. I'm a fan of the "grim" look of this UM as it seems he is more of the barbarian stock than the normal "roman-like" asartes.

HE looks like a WE spy thou. As if the barbarian entered the gates before the roman put up the wall, kinda guy...

That is awesome, looks like a true Warrior-King of Maccrage! His armour looks ace, especially his helmet. That would be another good candidate to see in colour.

Stunning man, again you surpass all expectations from me; and please knock out the Typhus for Shamblin's bro. I just got back from downrange myself, so no offence taken, trust me.

*Collapses dead from awesomeness*

My friend you have exceeded all expectations! Without a doubt my favourite piece of work from you (well ok I have a biased opinion, but this is too awesome!) and you have made me ridiculously happy, it'll take a while to wipe this grin off my face!

I am now going to set this as my desktop wallpaper, you have my eternal thanks and I must congratulate you on an extremely impressive piece of work, it sounds like it presented you with a bit of a challenge but you have overcome it with style!

This Ultra-Marine is your best work yet in my opinion. I hope it gets some color soon. The drawing is so good that I feel compelled to build a miniature of him and I have been a sworn Dark Angels player for 25 years.

Archived