Lorenzen's Abyss: Heresy, Necro & a load of other stuff

Lorenzen

Oh dear. I don't think I've ever need to say this to you, brother, but.... mold lines. Along the length of the Backpack, and also across the tops of both feet. Out side of the left thigh. the left thigh guard plate, and the bottom of the left leg lower plate, just above the foot.

Don't mean to nitpick, but if this is going to be a competition piece, you might want to be rid of those, mon ami. Only trying to help.

Glad to hear the Fire Angels are coming back. I've been missing them.

i'll admit that i didnt see some of them until well into the painting process and was unsure about removing them as it'd damage the airbrush work.. then i realised that my plan for loken was NOT a clean looking model.. so i give you what ive been working on since i last posted..

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/144/8/7/lok3_by_typhion-d66fahe.jpg

bigger pic.. allows more criticism ;)

@angels absolute: the FW version is painted in a very different style but thanks im trying to work on my skill set and have a plausible enough case to warrant an interview at forge world one day either for painting or for sculpting.. i think painting is more likely though for now.

well they offered for Dargor and me to take photos of our models on the istvaan 3 board.. so i think they liked them (and the damned artificers photoshop skills at making our works look epicererer)

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/144/6/3/111111_by_typhion-d66fetz.jpg

didnt get many shots, was running short on time :sad.: i did manage to get pics of the smartphone marine and i found wally though.

Simon Egan and Mark Bedford were both quite positive about Kael (i was grinning like an idiot after Sam looked him over and gave him praise.. was one of the highlights of my weekend) theres a few things with the painting that i want to adjust after talking to mark, but thats mainly just tidying up some of the weathering to make the mini a little neater.

So, what I'm about to post, I post with love :sweat:

gallery_37532_5274_178220.jpg

I see how you've integrated the mold lines with excellent painting, but I'm not sure exactly how much you'll be able to get away with before it becomes obvious. Yeah, the lines on the newer FW pieces are a royal pain to see until painted, but then they stick out like a sore thumb. Also, I'm seeing some anamolies beyond the lines, mostly on the collar and the backpack vent (both circled).

Again, I do this with concern and love, dude. Not to be an ass. :P

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/144/9/f/121212_by_typhion-d66fkvi.jpg

1 - will try to remove it.. think its dirt tbh.

2- sculpted battle damage.. its part of the model.. not painted yet (much like the studs on the pad)

3 - ill get rid of that.. wasnt sure what was going on with it myself..

4 - sculpted battle damage again.

5 - couldnt get my anti mould line tools in there without gouging the model.. will be hidden if i can.

6 - discolouration from removing as much of the mould line as i could without damaging the paint job beyond repair

7 - painted streak.. ak interactive streaking grime.

8 - parts are sculpted, parts are rectified mould line

this is what b&c is for! i always ask for c&c and nobody ever damn well leaves any criticism half the time!

@AngelsAbsolute - Sculpting wise im a far way off applying.. paint wise im going to do a few showcase models (fulgy, loken, some vehicles etc) and make a worthwhile portfolio of "this is my army.. i painted them somewhat quickly" and "this is my proper care taken over it work" and see where it takes me..

More work on Loken.. still got loads to do on him, but most of the basic stuff is done.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/146/c/d/lok6_by_typhion-d66osyf.jpg

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/146/3/7/lok5_by_typhion-d66osug.jpg

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/146/2/4/lok4_by_typhion-d66osmo.jpg

theres some stuff that needs addressing on the cloaks underside.. and the weathering isnt quite done either.. so much more to do.. this is why i dont do showcase peices -_-

The backpack... dude, I'm not even sure where to start. It's a bloody mess of lines and imperfections.

Other than that, the only thing that jumps out at me is in the 2nd pic down, on the outside of the left thigh. Hella mold line.

Your painting is impeccible. That backpack, though.... :(

by the stud at the bottom.. feth. (gets sharp knife and "weathering/chipping" paints ready)

the backpack.. most of the "imperfections" i dont think i can do much about.. i may take the thing off, strip it it, and start it over.. but some of them are unavoidable.. both gw and forgeworld seem obsessed with attatching backpacks to sprues by the curved parts or putting details in places where the mould comes apart.. drives me up the wall.

Preachin' to the choir, man. If you haven't gotten it yet, the assault weapons sprue is worse. Like, a lot worse.

Shek, just saw another. 1st pic, edge of the cloak where it's flopping over, there's an odd recantgular shape jutting out of the fabric. I'm assuming it's the remains of another part of the sprue.

man, I'm full of all sorts of crappy news today, huh? :sweat:

nah thats a tear in the cloak.. theres another near the middle.. i did however just scrape something that looked like a mould line off.. the realised it was meant to be there.. pissing backpack exhausts with extra plating that just so happens to look like a mould line but isnt, because its on the frikking normal mk4 backpack too and painted a different colour to the exhaust itself on the fw examples.

ARHAGHUAHGUHAHGHAGH!!!! *gets the greenstuff*

Beautiful work Lorenzen, Your Death Guard are stunning, I feel your pain with mold lines, I love ForgeWorld and that is all I ever buy, but the mold lines... Every pair of MK IV parts I have with studs on, Jesus there is always a mold line running straight through each and every piece taunting me...

Stunning work, really inspiring stuff Lorenzen.

Your Death Guard are the reason I chose to do them. However Loken here is proof that the Sons sea green can look just as good.

Thanks dude, that means a lot. :) i think that a lot of people dont quite "get" the sea green thing.. it all comes down to dargor for that though.. i had a long conversation with him about it and refered to the books pictures more so than the "official" scheme as i find it too turquoise.

the green was done with a mix of german extra dark camo green, sybarite green and administratum grey, i then airbrushed progressivley lighter coats (more sybarite and admin) onto the model zenithial style.. i added a few highlights with a higher mix of sybarite and admin, then glazed the model with several coats of drachenhof nightshade mixed with lahmian medium and clean water. final highlights were done with pure admin grey.

the worn look is small spots of ak interactive streaking grim and rust streaks blended into the surrounding colour by letting it dry then adding a little bit of white spirit.

Beautiful Death Guard these are amazing and it is good to know that there is another Death Guard player that does them justice! Can't wait to see more and Loken looks awesome! What did you use to paint the head on your Praetor, since I think it is just amazing?

Do you mean the one in my profile pic? if so, its just my basic skin method..

vallejo grey surface primer or any decent layer of white/light grey to start..

wash with dwarf flesh (beige red from vallejo), wash with terracota, do rough highlights with dwarf flesh, then final highlights with elf flesh (basic skintone from vallejo) wash a very fine layer of purple over the skin, shade the eye area with scorched brown (german camo black brown) do the eyes with white, pupils with black.. scar was given a light touch of burnt cadmium red (scab red equivilant roughly) to get that raw bloody look to it, hair line and stubble was done with devlan mud.

Edited by Lorenzen

ill make sure to do a tutorial for the cloth soon.. but for now i have a bit of minor progress.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/101/1/b/3_by_typhion-d61auig.jpg

his mohawk fell off.. but will be replaced with a better one, as a fun bit of pointless trivia.. the combiflamer isnt actually attatched to the model at all, the chain is just draped over the model atm (self supporting strap for the win!)

I don't know if I'd put the Mohawk back on.  I think he looks better without it and maybe his head painted like its tattooed.  But that's just my opinion.