Night Lords "Tenebrous Winter" (GREY KNIGHT 08/12)

AlanofAngels

@Recon: Thanks bro! Right now I don't plan to because I'm loving my VIIIth too much, but I very well may wind back up there!

@Isinfier: Thanks dude! Oh I know all about having unfinished stuff laying around! It wasn't until I found this army that I was able to stick with any 1 project. Being a member of B&C certainly doesn't help with hobby ADD either, with all the awesome projects to distract!!
@Grailkeeper: The champion body is the Forgeworld Mk III Champion body (here). One of my favorite kits, I used the banner bearer torso/legs for my Sorcerer, actually! Not to mention the sword-drawing arms are just badass.
@GrandMagnus: Thanks man! Oh I'm sure I'll get to him soon...

It's worth mentioning that may be expanding the raptors now with the Night Lords legion rules! In the meantime, though, I'm about to start work on the 2nd Sicaran so more WIP photos to follow!

Thanks dude! That's awesome to hear! I think the non-running legs make them look more stoic so I've been opting for them, but lately GW has been coming out with some pretty killer new kits with running poses so I might get some of them in there.

Bit of an update on the list-building part! With the new Legion rules, I've opted to go for Alpha Legion rules on my Night Lords (:tongue.: ). This is mainly because I think their legion rules fit the traitor astartes aesthetic pretty nicely, having a mysterious warlord and letting several units outflank. I also really dig their relics and warlord traits! This isn't to say I don't like the Night Lords tactics, it's just they seem awfully one-dimensional (Fear on this and that and everything!) and I think the Alpha's tactics just fit my vision for my Night Lords better. 

Maybe I've been a sleeper all along. 

Anywho, with this small change in my list I am relegated to dropped all my Marks of Chaos, which means my Icon bearer now doesn't have a role in the unit. However, it's ended up that I'm going to go with two 5-man units of Raptors, so the feller who was previously my Icon bearer just got promoted to Raptor Champion number 2. There were a couple other small changes, but all they did was change non-cosmetic things (i.e. marks, mastery level on the Sorcerer. and giving my forthcoming Lord some extra kit from the Alpha Legion relics), not models themselves.

TL:DR, I have a 3 more Raptors to paint to get it up to 10!

I've actually started on my 3rd Raptor with a flamer already so more to come!!

• 10 months later...

What? A post in this thread?

I know, it's been almost a year since I posted anything in this thread (primarily due to hobby burnout, but also just lots of life stuff like moving). However the past few weeks I've been really getting the hankering for painting back and with (for the foreseeable future anyways) quite a bit of time to devote, I decided it was time to get back to the hobby and community I love here at B&C!

My VIIIth Legion fans might be a bit mad, though... for obvious reasons :teehee:

Whoops

gallery_47732_13870_72846.jpg

gallery_47732_13870_114410.jpg

gallery_47732_13870_1332404.jpg

gallery_47732_13870_966037.jpg

First off, I forgot how tough red is to photograph (at least for me), so I had to touch the photos up more than usual to make it look the way they do in actuality. Also, the amount of detail on the Primaris sculpts compared to regular marine ones (these are the first 2 I've ever painted) plus the number of transfers these guys have really lengthens the process, but I think it's for sure worth it in the end and it should even out due to the lower model count.

So, much like my beloved Night Lords (who I have by no means stopped working on), this project was fueled by a piece of good literature; in this case, Guy Haley's Dante. I know a lot of folks aren't big fans of Primaris, and quite frankly the fluff bothers me a bit too, but I can't deny being drawn to the awesomeness of their models. From my perspective, these fellas are going to play as Primaris but in my mind they are regular space marine Blood Angels (I feel like regular space marines should be more like Primaris stat-wise, anyways). So basically, I'm just ignoring the iffy-background for Primaris Marines but using their statline and pretending these are just regular fellas (with better proportions) :wink:

I'm pretty excited to be doing something a little new, and have been in love with the IXth Legion since joining the board (just look at my username) so am super pumped to be getting into them now as a bit of a throwback to my very early hobby days, as they were the first army I managed to semi-finish without getting distracted by hobby ADD. My aims are still small army-wise, as I tend to get overwhelmed if I go and make an 1,850 list or some such when I've only painted one model :rolleyes: So, for now, I'm taking it a model and squad at a time.

TL,DR: Here's some red to go with the blue and I blame Black Library. Readin' never did no good fer no one anyways. All C&C welcome! :happy.:

And if it isn't already obvious, I'm super excited to see where this goes! Hopefully y'all are up for the journey with me!

-Alan

OH FUDGE! It... its a miracle, its alive! Quite happy to see you back, so much that I dont even mind seeing blood angels ;) So welcome back brother.

And lovely red, looks great. It's nice to see you tackling some primaris, I personally love those models even though their background is heretical.

@Magnus: Haha, thanks man! I agree on both counts, the background kills me but I really dig the models. I really wish they hadn't shoehorned them in the way they did.

@Dosjetka: Thanks brotha!

@Steamius: Thanks, dude!
@NightHunters: Thanks, man!
@Eidolon: Thanks, dude! I 100% agree; I think the color scheme change alone will help me wanna get back to my VIIIth.
@The4thHorseman: Thanks, man! My metals are basic enough, it just requires a steady hand and attention to light source to get realistic highlights. I basecoat in Ironbreaker to get a solid coverage/tone for the gold. The basecoat is Runelord Brass and it is then washed in Agrax, followed by a fine highlight of Ironbreaker. Personally I love Runelord but if you wanted something brighter I'm sure you could get the same effect with a brighter gold substituted. 

In my own classic fashion, I have been looking at my Night Lords again and started painting them. I'm going to no doubt still pump out a Blood Angel every so often, but for now, it's full steam ahead back on the VIIIth :teehee: More to come on that front, including some list changes more than likely. For now, you can look forward to 2 more flamer-armed raptors coming in!

More to come!

• 1 month later...

@D3L: My red is pretty easy! Base in Mephiston, edge highlight of Evil Sunz, and then a fine highlight of Fire Dragon Bright. Long as you have a steady hand, it ends up looking pretty good I think!

Well despite my lack of posting here, I have actually been pretty busy! I managed to finish up my final 3 raptors and thus the two five-man squads. First, the three new fellas:

gallery_47732_9950_1021243.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_239496.jpg

gallery_47732_9950_1827519.jpg

And a little group shot of the trio:

gallery_47732_9950_1035563.jpg

Now I hear you screaming "Alan you :censored: idiot they aren't Dark Angels what's with the heads?!" Well, I may or may not have gotten the FW Dark Angel head set and really like how they look for Chaos Marines (kind of ironic, or not... :whistling: ) so figured if I wanted some in my raptors squads, basically all 3 of these new guys had to have them since none of the previous ones did, so they would end up spread around. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it :teehee:

And because I can't ever resist, I took some group photos of the finished Raptor units:

First Raptor Talon:

gallery_47732_9950_1693299.jpg

Second Raptor Talon:

gallery_47732_9950_444667.jpg

I still think the leader of Second Talon is my favorite model in the army :wub:

And of course a big 'ol "mosh blob of pointy things" photo:

gallery_47732_9950_856910.jpg

So that's the raptors! I have modified my list quite a bit since 8th edition came around and now plan on including 16 (YEAH THAT'S RIGHT, :censored: ONE-SIX) berserkers broken into two eight-man squads in rhinos. I also plan on including a couple of predators, plus still have my 2nd Chaos Lord to paint. So for those of you that like infantry, there's gonna be plenty of that, and for those of you that like tanks there's gonna be a ton (pun intended) of that too! For anyone else, sorry boutcha! :wink:

I'm not entirely sure which I will end up doing next, as I feel a bit infantried out. However right now tank-wise I am waiting on the FW Chaos extra-armor to come back in stock so I can snap that up for my tanks, and I can't really work on them until that integral part of the model is assembled. So at least for now, it looks like I may be working on some berserkers, which I have some ideas in mind for to make them a lot less "blood and brass" and more VIIIth legion-y without feeling too homesick for their sweet chainaxes.

More, more, more to come! And thanks for looking guys! All C&C welcome and appreciated!

Thanks guys!

@Quixus: The jump packs are from FW, the Night Lord Raptor kit in particular; I have been keeping my eyes peeled for whenever they become available on ebay for a reasonable price because I don't want to buy the full kit just for the backpacks :dry.: For sure my favorite jump packs and they look equal parts chaos-y as well as pre-heresy and industrial. I like the GW raptor jump packs too but I'm not as big on the more random/asymmetrical trimming they gave them because I like my trim more symmetrical. But if that floats your boat, I'd definitely check them out too as they're for sure easier to come by. 

I ordered a bunch of stuff from FW today for the next batches of infantry and vehicles, and was sad to find they no longer make the old Night Lords Rhino Doors in the Chaos version, only the legion versions which I don't think have nearly as cool of detail (especially the brand spanking new ones, or ones they just recently teased; the skulls in the legion badge on the front plate and doors look way too smooth for my taste, almost like a cartoon skull or something) :unsure.: This especially sucks because I wanted that continuity from my previous rhinos to the next pair and the predators, but oh well. I grabbed a couple different sets of doors and front plates for 'em so we'll see if I can't make it work. The :censored: chaos extra armor is still listed as "temporarily out of stock" so I am waiting on that front, but hopefully it'll be back soon.

I have what I think are some pretty fun ideas for the berserkers too so more to come on that front! Thanks for looking, guys!

Hey guys! Thought I would drop a quick line as to how everything is progressing. I got part of my Forgeworld order the other day and I am extremely excited to get to messing around with it. I ordered pretty much everything I need to get my berserkers done, but am still waiting on that stupid Chaos tank extra armor to come back in stock. FINGERS CROSSED IT WILL BE SOON. I have also been raiding ebay for some bits I want for my 'zerkers as I am definitely going for a specific look, so more to come on that front as it all progresses as I think it will be a bit of a surprise. I've gotten just about everything I need so I should be able to show you guys some progress soon.

On a more unrelated note, I have been messing around with photo editing software and made myself a nice group shot of my Raptors, who I think are my favorite group of models:

gallery_47732_9950_497385.jpg

It's kind of interesting to me how this hobby has led (as I am sure it has for tons of others) to me gaining more of interest in photography and photo editing software, something I have never previously really cared for.

More to come guys and thanks for looking! Happy holidays and may Lord Emperor Santa bring you all the mold-able model crack you've ever wanted! :teehee:

Awesome to see you back on the B&C. This thread is so smooth to read, and encouraging also! kudos for that.

I've got some space marines I was thinking of committing to Blood Angels, man o man you,re making it hard to resist! 

My 3 favourite chapters all in one thread! Have you ever considered doing Black Templars? (just throwing it out there as I think you would really do them justice with your steady line work and keen eye for detail!)

Much Kudos indeed!

Ah, the cleanest, sharpest Night Lords return. I love these, your models nearly monopolize my pictures folder dedicated to the dysfunctional sons of Konrad Curze*.

Or Blood Angels come, at least. Why does this Legion hog the best-painted Primaris?

Speaking of clean models, I've always been glad yours don't include the less wholesome parts of the Night Lords identity. I've very rarely found gore and trophies to look good when they're at the ridiculously high amount implied by said identity, and that's when it's not getting into overdose territory.

(Yes, I did just check to see if I was right when I said you used no gore, and that made me remember you started with Alpha Legion. I wonder if we'll ever see more of these from you.)

* Gonna need to add to it once I have more time, the aforementioned quick browsing showed several gems.

I've recently been trying to show my brother and a friend some basic painting techniques and trying to explain to them that simple, clean lines on a figure can look incredible and I completely forgot about your models which I am definitely going to show them now as an example. 

Also, I couldn't resist. 

tHB4DyS.png

@Jim: Thanks man! It's funny you mention Templars; they were, if I remember correctly, the first army I really tried out! I haven't painted any in yearbut have always had a special place in my heart for them. I suspect I'll paint one sooner or later, at least as a one-off for old times sake :tongue.:

@Raven: Thanks for that high praise, man! Yeah, I've always been very meh about the gore and trophies displayed by the VIIIth. Anyone who knows me knows I love clean lines on my models and the gore just doesn't fit in that identity to me. I've done weathering on a fair few of my models but NL, for me, don't seem to need it given how busy their armor already looks with the lightning, not to mention if you do add the gore/trophies. Nothing against those who dig it, because there's for sure some bitchin' hobbyists who do that and weathering crazy well (like Kizz and Heinrich whose skills I will be forever jellyfish jelly of); it just isn't my cup o' tea for my own brand of VIII :biggrin.:

@Cage: Thanks, brotha! That's seriously awesome to hear :wub:  If they have any questions, for sure let me know. :teehee: :teehee: :teehee: Yeah I reckon that feller on the right is gonna give the guy on the left visions of the Black Rage. I'll get the Chaos Black out...

Out of curiosity, has anyone had any experience modelling the FW Xiphon Interceptor? I may or may not have been reworking my 8th ed. list and thinking about including one... or two. Now that so many awesome units became admissible for chaos via the 8th ed. re-work of IA13 we have access to a ton of sweet formally-loyalist stuff. Which means I can take my profile down off of "loyalists-only.com" and get my own sweet Chaos-y goodness right outta our own book! Any advice or experience with it would be awesome to hear about, as with a few FW kits you sometimes don't know what you're getting into (LOOKING AT YOU SICARAN). Any tips are for sure welcome!

Thanks guys! Should be some more progress soon! 

Archived