Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

TITH I almost lost my mind trying to subtly reposition the thumb of this CSM hand to better grip the warhorn I want my Dark Apostle is holding, cutting it off completely, losing it, cutting another off a spare hand and gluing it in position just so...

Dark Apostle Hand

However, I think it was worth it. And the model is coming together overall.
Haven't glued his left hand yet, or his head, and I have a cool trophy/icon to add to his backpack before he's finished.
Then I'm going to use a bit of greenstuff to blend the different bits of his right arm/shoulder together a bit better.

Dark Apostle 2

Robwrath, Gederas mates, you done did well ya did. Right good work. Warrior Hunter, good on ya for keeping up on that. I'm staring at this drop pod thinking "Why did I ever consider it?"

Ugh, Today in the Hobby, I primed 2 knights, 20 Escher "Cthonian" militia, and got the first set of colours down on my long overdue terrain sets, and made a bits order to fill out some blood angels holes. In other hobby news, I ordered in a new Krome airbrush so we'll see if they're worth the hype.

And today in "Garage furnace room painting with Vykes":

gallery_107230_14721_216976.jpg

Gonna go do something something video game or book something for a bit. I feel quite dead.

Robwrath, Gederas mates, you done did well ya did. Right good work. Warrior Hunter, good on ya for keeping up on that. I'm staring at this drop pod thinking "Why did I ever consider it?"

Ugh, Today in the Hobby, I primed 2 knights, 20 Escher "Cthonian" militia, and got the first set of colours down on my long overdue terrain sets, and made a bits order to fill out some blood angels holes. In other hobby news, I ordered in a new Krome airbrush so we'll see if they're worth the hype.

And today in "Garage furnace room painting with Vykes":

gallery_107230_14721_216976.jpg

Gonna go do something something video game or book something for a bit. I feel quite dead.

I do like the look of that cathedral scenery, and also the possibilities for gaming around it. But scenery for me has always been something home made and I enjoy doing it.

So I'm going to see if I can build something with the same modularity, but with a bit more of an industrial feel (I can't make anything that ornate).

Also, I'm pretty sure I'd lose the will to love trying to paint that amount of plastic.

I'm sure yours will look great though!

Been in a bit of a hobby funk.  I've bought models,  I've eagerly purchased conversion and decorative bits,  I've assembled many of them, heck I've even got half a dozen matches in, but not really any painting lately.

But I started some Hellblasters and 1.5 of them are done so that feels nice.

GqsjxiL.jpg

**....Blah blah, Vykes blathers on too much.**

I do like the look of that cathedral scenery, and also the possibilities for gaming around it. But scenery for me has always been something home made and I enjoy doing it.

So I'm going to see if I can build something with the same modularity, but with a bit more of an industrial feel (I can't make anything that ornate).

Also, I'm pretty sure I'd lose the will to love trying to paint that amount of plastic.

I feel ya, dude. I was the same way for 21 years. "I can make it, I'm good at it, it just takes time and why spend money on something that'll look the same as everyone elses stuff?" I've got, like, 3 tables for gaming made up in my garage, and the 'worst' of it was just one of those 'new/old' just after the paper mats with green flock on it that I picked up for bringing to mates houses when they didn't have full fledged tables.

And theeen that :censored: Kill Team comes out and tosses me my first hit of GW 'new' terrain and my fashion and historian side goes crazy. First try is free, after that you gotta pay. And I'm totally hooked because I happen to love the elaborate neo-punk gothic architecture with its columns and latticed butresses tower over anything fiddly I could create. Admittedly I'm still looking into making some zone mortalis stuff and a martian wasteland.

Just waiting for 2 very particuar blasted FLG mats and the mechanicus battlezone to restock.

Oh, and TiTH, I put the oil wash on the buildings, and carved up and assembled 3 converted landspeeders for my Blood Angels.

Bit of an update: Wash is on, got a quick drybrush, then metal, wash, and weathering powders to go.

gallery_107230_14721_69214.jpg
Edited by Vykes

**....Blah blah, Vykes blathers on too much.**

I feel ya, dude.  I was the same way for 21 years.  "I can make it, I'm good at it, it just takes time and why spend money on something that'll look the same as everyone elses stuff?"  I've got, like, 3 tables for gaming made up in my garage, and the 'worst' of it was just one of those 'new/old' just after the paper mats with green flock on it that I picked up for bringing to mates houses when they didn't have full fledged tables.  

And theeen that :censored: Kill Team comes out and tosses me my first hit of GW 'new' terrain and my fashion and historian side goes crazy.  First try is free, after that you gotta pay.  And I'm totally hooked because I happen to love the elaborate neo-punk gothic architecture with its columns and latticed butresses tower over anything fiddly I could create.  Admittedly I'm still looking into making some zone mortalis stuff and a martian wasteland. 

Just waiting for 2 very particuar blasted FLG mats and the mechanicus battlezone to restock. 

Oh, and TiTH, I put the oil wash on the buildings, and carved up and assembled 3 converted landspeeders for my Blood Angels.  

Bit of an update: Wash is on, got a quick drybrush, then metal, wash, and weathering powders to go.

The scenery in the Kill Team box did tempt me to buy it, tbh. I also wish I still had all the modular terrain from the Necromunda box; I remember when as soon as that came out it soon found its way onto our 40k tables too. The terrain I'd like to build would be functionally like that, lots of different levels and walkways, plenty of cover but also places to snipe from.

Yours looks brilliant as it is. Good terrain does make a game better.

TITH I received delivery of an old WFB metal Kroxigor, and cut and pinned him into a position suitable for a Blood Bowl player. Son's Christmas present sorted! 

Bought too many old codices and supplements...

Bought Eye of Terror as it always interested me as a kid. Bought 6ed Space Wolves and Tyranids.

Then bought Pandorax and Escalation, not knowing that they are supplements for Apocalypse. Which is still cool, but now I'm going to end up buying all of the Apocalypse books because I am addicted to buying old books on the Internet.

So now in my basket I have Apocalypse, Apocalypse Reload, Apocalypse 2013, IA Apocalypse, IA Apocalypse 2 and IA Apocalypse 2013.

Only want them to read!

TITHI went for a meal, decided against going to GW, and then found out that in the space of a few hours enjoying a nice currym the following had been announced;

• Marneus Calgar just got turned into a Primaris Marine
  • There's now a new Slaaneshi Noise Marine limited edition model
  • Genestealer Cult Bikers (Sons of A Hivemind, anyone?)
  • CYOA rules for units and heroes
  • EDIT; Let's not forget that Warbringer Titan!
  • EDIT; Or Wrath and Rapture

I feel like I've just landed smack in the middle of topsy-turvy land. :unsure.:

Edited by Viridia

You sure ain't wrong RobWrath, that necromunda stuff showed up real quick on gaming tables. I still need to make some scatter terrain so wonder if I can nab some as we have old and new collectors around. Maaan the right proper Kroxigor I remember being surrounded by skinks, that's the kind of stuff I still look back on fondly. Nice catch there, dude!

Warriorhunter, mate, good job on persevering through that thing. Ugh, drop pods.

Heh, DBadger, you're sure dredging up a lot of the good memories I had of the 'middle days'. There was some real good stuff there, I kinda like the old codex: Cityfight that got published around the time of the Eye of Terror if memory serves, still got it laying around somewhere too. Was always fun.

Aye, Viridia, I got woken up by a text saying, ":cuss NOIIICE MARINE SCHWEEEEEE!" good old days of the combi-guitar are back! Everything kinda just blew up and I'm actually pretty legit excited, even if I do feel a bit Rip Van Winkle.

Alright, Today in the Hobby, the varnish finished drying on my latest terrain stuff. So that's below, and the city board is comin' together nicely. Just waiting for my new gaming mat to ship.

gallery_107230_14721_300343.jpg

But more frustratingly and interestingly to me, I'm still cutting up and working a set of 30K speeders for my Blood Angels aaaand I ran into one of my many many aesthetic dilemmas. Trying to figure out if I should make the weapon mounts with the smaller top rotating weapon (a la Rogue Trader on the left) or manual gun mounts on the right (like 2E on) and if I should have the underslung there too. I can always do a combination but yeah, whaddya think?

gallery_107230_14721_79668.jpg

Vykes: that table looks amazing. Wish I was closer so we could play a game on it.

TITH I got started on the highlights on my drop pod. I'm really questioning my decision to make this thing with all of the announcements today. With Primarnius Calgar I'm not wondering if there will be a primaris pod around the horizon because they're introducing some characters now. I'd think they've got to be doing something about transports down the line.

0W2IYZN.jpg

Edited by thewarriorhunter

TITH I got started on the highlights on my drop pod. I'm really questioning my decision to make this thing with all of the announcements today.

Do it! Come what may with 40k in the years to come, your collection should always be what you want, and what you're inspired by. Besides, it's always a nice addition to a 40k army.

Also TITHI painted my IW Siege Breaker in leadbelcher, quite impressed by the GW base paints as a substitute for the aerosols.

Completely agree. It'll be good to paint up and I've got marines that can use it. Worst case I proxy it for a Primaris pod if they ever get one.

Over the weekend in the hobby I helped my son work on his Necrons. We almost finished a wraith but needed to wait on glue for magnets and other options.

n8elAsn.jpg

oxqHdd7.jpg

RobWrath, that... doesn't surprise me as much as I wanted it too.  But I did just look at chainaxe bits and saw the Khornate ones going for up to 4.75 USD each.  Just... uuuugh.  Why must bits be expensive?  Now I gotta go make a pilgramage to a local vintage comic book store which also stocks a lot of weird old school GW stuff to see if they got any (last time I checked it out they had new unopened boxes of Birdmen of Catrazza for Fantasy on the shelf).  That perforated workbench MDF board you can get at Home Depot by the sheet works pretty good, for the record.  Bloodbowl, I gotta start that with my crew here: gotta actually snag my favourite vermin boys and see how this works yes-yes!  Especially now that the Grey Cup just finished up, gonna still have people into it until they make Slaughter Cup: the game of (more) violent fantasy hockey. 

Hah, that would be pretty great WarriorHunter, but out in the land of the ice and snow kinda totally sucks at times.  Trying to get a game in on it pretty quick, just gotta wait for a proper sized city mat to ship, aaaand now I'm thinking of adding a pair of Skyshields to make good objective points.  -sighs- it never ends, does it?  Fantastic work on that drop pod by the by.  And yeah, I kinda know how ya feel with a Primaris pod, after Cally boy got the primaris treatment it's hard to tell what's up. And yeah, I've got one I'm staring at and, with the bits left over from the cyclones on the Landspeeder, I'm kinda wondering if I should just convert up a Deathstorm Drop Pod instead.  

Never too early to get the next generation in on the hobby, eh?  One of my mates just started getting his son in on Star Wars Legion so I got to rib him a bit on going the 'popular kid' route with SW. But I feel like I have to say Necrons, NEEEECRONS!  NYAAAA (Son of Carnelian asked me a question about them earlier today and I'm going through my old 3E flashbacks). 

Oh, and post scriptum: Today in the Hobby I assembled all the Blackstone Fortress models and plan to prime them in a few hours.  Man they are cool. 

Edited by Vykes

RobWrath, that... doesn't surprise me as much as I wanted it too.  But I did just look at chainaxe bits and saw the Khornate ones going for up to 4.75 USD each.  Just... uuuugh.  Why must bits be expensive?  Now I gotta go make a pilgramage to a local vintage comic book store which also stocks a lot of weird old school GW stuff to see if they got any (last time I checked it out they had new unopened boxes of Birdmen of Catrazza for Fantasy on the shelf).  That perforated workbench MDF board you can get at Home Depot by the sheet works pretty good, for the record.  Bloodbowl, I gotta start that with my crew here: gotta actually snag my favourite vermin boys and see how this works yes-yes!  Especially now that the Grey Cup just finished up, gonna still have people into it until they make Slaughter Cup: the game of (more) violent fantasy hockey. 

Worth checking to see if Anvil Industries ship to you? They make right and left handed chainaxes, aren't expensive, and they are nice (resin). All my berserkers have them.

TITH I spent an hour painting my Call of Chaos berserker squad to no visible difference. Aaaagh I'm so slow.

@Vykes: I’ll echo what Robwrath said about Anvil. Great company, good quality products, and ship outside the UK for good prices. They’re worth looking into (and not just for their chainaxes).

Last couple days in the hobby I’ve been working on turning my forgebane archmagos into an Illuminor Szeras proxy (easier than you think and can be done with leftover bits from forgebane if you build the sword+board Lychguard as sword+board). Some clipping of imperial parts may be required.

Last couple days in the hobby I’ve been working on turning my forgebane archmagos into an Illuminor Szeras proxy (easier than you think and can be done with leftover bits from forgebane if you build the sword+board Lychguard as sword+board). Some clipping of imperial parts may be required.

Amusingly, I have been considering that conversion in the opposite direction but the resin model of Szeras might be too fragile for my liking. I think parts of him could make an interesting Magos Genator.