Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

TITH I finished my third Deathwatch Marine, Zaron Devsalax, Deathwatch Black Shield, Watch Company Primus, Watch Fortress Kagreshan (and totally not a loyalist Night Lord). And it was technically today, since I finished him at 1:45am :lol:

vyYeptm.jpg

Opinions required - I'm starting to properly assemble the Khorne terminator assault squad as I've pictured above. I'm not going to use the usual chaos termi trophy racks - don't think they suit and it feels like an easy option. I also want to make the squad sergeant stand out.

So far, he's different from the other guys as he has a chainfist and power axe (the other guys have pairs of lightning claws) and he also doesn't have a bunny-ear helmet (it's a bit of a theme through my army so far that the commanders and sergeants have chaos knight-style helmets).

I also want the squad to have a Khorne icon mounted on one of their backs, to count as the Banner of Wrath.

So, do I put the Khorne icon on the sergeant to kill two birds with one stone (it'd give him the most vertical height out of the squad), or do I put some kind of unique trophy on the sergeant, and put the icon on another member of the squad?

I can't decide.

I'd say give him a trophy, and put the icon on another member.

Gederas, mate lookin' right good.  Surpirsingly spikey for a loyalist but no one can ever fault those talons!  Lookin' right good. 

Leeeets see Robwrath, I do think that I like the different look right now for the sergeant.  Usual stand outs are the built up base itself but I kinda like the idea of a unique trophy for him and then a unit trophy on another, so aye, Gederas I think has the right of it.  And more spikey flashy bits are just good in general.  That way you get two rally different models, too.  

As for the 30K lads, they're 16th legion, the Warmaster's own, the Sons of Horus -lets the drum roll and fanfare die down from their self aggrandizement- and I am trying to hold myself back from repainting that cloak.  But I loath hand painting and wet blending red, the airbrush is far easier but that requires even more effort to mask off. Dunno, it might still be worth it.  But he's still only just a bog standard line captain and I've got a marshal to build up pretty soon.  

Gederas, mate lookin' right good.  Surpirsingly spikey for a loyalist but no one can ever fault those talons!  Lookin' right good. 

Leeeets see Robwrath, I do think that I like the different look right now for the sergeant.  Usual stand outs are the built up base itself but I kinda like the idea of a unique trophy for him and then a unit trophy on another, so aye, Gederas I think has the right of it.  And more spikey flashy bits are just good in general.  That way you get two rally different models, too.  

As for the 30K lads, they're 16th legion, the Warmaster's own, the Sons of Horus -lets the drum roll and fanfare die down from their self aggrandizement- and I am trying to hold myself back from repainting that cloak.  But I loath hand painting and wet blending red, the airbrush is far easier but that requires even more effort to mask off. Dunno, it might still be worth it.  But he's still only just a bog standard line captain and I've got a marshal to build up pretty soon.  

Sadly, I bought them off eBay and they were already based. I COULD rip them off the bases and redo it but that'd be a lot of work. I'm happy to cut and reposition everything north of the waist though. As you've voted 2-0 I'll build the sergeant with a skeleton trophy and have a bannerman too. 

I thought it was a Sons of Horus project but then the XV threw me off. I like em. Look mean!

Man, if models are plastic glued to the base they're usually a nightmare (I've got more than a few 25mm bases with two holes where the feet just pulled the whole top off when I tried to detach them).  Usually why I just pin everything and superglue 'em down. And aye to the bannerman, I'm a pretty big fan of vexillia after all!  ... okay they just make me feel more secure as I can always count on failing leadership tests and just seeing flags on the table is more or less still a pavlovian response by now. Heh, the red cloaks are a bit odd in comparison too for a legion that's usually shown in black. 

Ooooh a 650 list, eh Warriorhunter.  That's pretty awesome, rockin' a contemptor and what else? That points level is always gonna be interesting. 

Man, if models are plastic glued to the base they're usually a nightmare (I've got more than a few 25mm bases with two holes where the feet just pulled the whole top off when I tried to detach them).  Usually why I just pin everything and superglue 'em down. And aye to the bannerman, I'm a pretty big fan of vexillia after all!  ... okay they just make me feel more secure as I can always count on failing leadership tests and just seeing flags on the table is more or less still a pavlovian response by now. Heh, the red cloaks are a bit odd in comparison too for a legion that's usually shown in black. 

Ooooh a 650 list, eh Warriorhunter.  That's pretty awesome, rockin' a contemptor and what else? That points level is always gonna be interesting. 

I'm currently soaking a chaos terminator lord's legs and base in dettol to see if I can get him completely apart, off the base and with his lower legs separated from the upper legs/waist. Hope it works because I have decided the pose I want for him, looking the other direction than the kit intends. I like to make life difficult for myself.

I like it because it forces you to make choices. There is no way you can take all of the toys that you want at that point level. My Troop heavy list is in my PLOGhttp://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/339466-the-vindicet-honorem-detachment-has-landed/page-20?do=findComment&comment=5190517

I need to tweak a few things and then I'll post my more elite list with the contemptor.

Edited by thewarriorhunter

Oh man, just be careful with that stuff RobWrath, dettol and brake fluid both scare me stupid after a bad incident with a whole army of lizardmen.  Dude, it sounds right good, can't wait to see 'em all done up. Heh, I know the feelin' though.  

Nice Warriorhunter, mate, veeeeery nice.  See, I like my marine heavy stuff and tacs/legionnaires above all. I rather like what I'm seeing of that group so aye, tell us how it is, eh?  Sounds like some fun, almost Kill-Team heavy territory. 

TiTH, my latest*  Sicaran, Javelin, some christmas prezzies for mates of mine, and some surprises for the 65th.  Aaaah.... gotta go pick up some primer though, and standard speeders, hmmmph.

Oh man, just be careful with that stuff RobWrath, dettol and brake fluid both scare me stupid after a bad incident with a whole army of lizardmen.  Dude, it sounds right good, can't wait to see 'em all done up. Heh, I know the feelin' though.  

Dettol is fine. I stripped all the paint off a Land Raider for my son's birthday with it - hell of a mess of manky paint and it stank for several weeks but it worked and didn't damage the plastic at all.

And as for my warlord, overnight in the Dettol and a bit of light persuasion...ta-da!

Morg Legs

However, the work isn't done because I want him to have right leg straight, left leg stepping up, and currently they come from the hips in the opposite orientation to that.
So...I'm going to have to get a very sharp knife and cut the legs at the hips and reposition. I'm thinking any damage at the back will be hidden by his cloak, and I can add some ornate armour panels or chains at the front.

yaaaaay photoshop png experience
gallery_107230_14721_15673.jpg
I don't truuuust or like strippers*. So it's usually simple green and high strength alcohol for me, works generally decent. But Aye, all good, can't wait to see all the fun that it entails. Oh man, see, looks great RobWrath, reaaal nice dude. And yep, cloak and plates always look great.

Well today in the Hobby, I got a set of custom dice made up for my Sons of Horus company.

*.... that's... hmmm.

I thought that was Fairy Power Spray where as Dettol is more oily like pin sol? 

Dettol is an antiseptic, think you'd use it to properly clean surfaces and things. It has a very persuasive smell! My hands still smell of it after dismantling my Lord.

However, without someone telling me about it I'd have had no idea there was such a simple way to strip acrylic paints and weaken poly cement bonds. If you look for stuff on ebay that may be partially painted and partially assembled...it's a lifesaver.

I thought that was Fairy Power Spray where as Dettol is more oily like pin sol? 

I could be wrong...however when the questions been asked on other forums (about dettol / simple green) its always been linked as the same thing

TITH I just ordered the parts for quite possibly my most insane project yet, but it must be done...the rule of cool commands it...

Sounds intriguing...care to share?

Also, YITHI started painting my Lychguard and promptly frakked up which color was supposed to go on each shoulder, after frakking up the colors. Not fun, that. Gonna give it another go tonight.

So, last week in the hobby I painted up to virtual completion (minus chapter badges/some minor tidy-up) a ten man squad of Intercessors, and carried on working on my drop-pod. TITHI rebased some of the old Dark Vengeance Chosen onto 32mm bases, finally undercoated five Deathwatch (mix of the Overkill and some I'd thrown together) plus some other stuff for LOTR.

Also picked up the new Ork Codex and some extra paints along with the new assembly handle from the local GW.

TITH I am at a local tournament with my Sisters/inquisitors/knight. 3 games. 2 games down.

1st game was ITC mission 6 pitched battle. Vs Dark Angels terminator army (cant remember the name).

Won that one purely on mission objectives. Could not roll for nuts and opponents dice were hot. Won that 18-6.

Game 2 against pure guard with rage inducing amount of rerolls. ITC mission 4. Vanguard assault deploy.

Lots of tanks turtled in corner with lots of range and no cover in the gaps between me and him. I had no movement to cover the gaps so was always stuck in the open.

Closer game with a loss of 11-13.

Couldnt get to any of my secondaries and the one that would have netted me the draw rolled nothing but 6s for his saves.

Lunch break and game 3 to come...

Update: game 3 done. Vs thousand suns. ItC mission 5. Table quarters setup.

Soooooo muucch mortaaalllll wwoooouuuunnnnds. Not a fun game.

Solid loss 41-10.

My explodi g knight did more damage for me the whole game. Got 3 of my 4 headhunter points from that explosion.

Update 2: my last opponent took out first place.

Fun day though :) first game day in almost a year.

Did drum up some business making bragging rights medals for the next tournament as the TO loved the one i made for fun for this one.

Edited by Atrus