Night Lords 15th Company - In Memoriam...Pg.68

Well, I'd never have expected myself to be arguing against the use of a berzerker helmet, being a huge World Eaters nut and all, but there you have it...

I may be in the minority, but I still prefer the DV head. The skull design is an element very fitting for NL lore. The mask like quality is a bonus in my opinion. The fact that the head has been used a lot is a non-issue for me personally, because it has rarely been used so well.

If your lord were a frothing berzerker of Khorne, the other head would be a no brainer. And as it stands, the biker lord is an amazing model. That said, I'll repeat my earlier opinion that Terminator Hashec is such an amazing model that it's hard for me to think of him in a different incarnation.

When all is said and done, it's your model and your choice, and you should go with what works for you. In any case, you'll have a standout centre piece for your army, so it's really a win win scenario. But then, on a more positive note, the fact that I am feeling so strongly about this -- while it isn't really about my own army in the first place - seems like solid proof that this army of yours is an amazing and notable thing, and one that other people find it easy to get excited about.

Phew, I'm feeling exhausted... ;)

Left horn from the second helm onto the intact side of the Zerker one. Fluff-wise anyway. 
Wouldn't be a walking corpse without some scratches.

....my thrice-damned demon of cat decided he wanted to prove just how useless Terminator Hashec is as well, and casually flicked him off my desk, thus breaking the tip off one of his horns. 

All I'll say is, the cat and I are on the same wavelength.  :)

+++Message Commence+++

Priority: Extremis

Clearance: Magenta

++++Author: Nerva Severus, Captain, Doom Eagles 8th Company

++++Transmitted: <<static blackout>>

++++Received: <<Astartes cypher:118567>>

++++Telepathic Duct: Locus Obscurus/Caedon Terminus

++++Transcriptor: Auto-savant Penitent KC1138-000

Though For the Day: "Corruption cannot touch those clad in the armor of contempt."

++++Subject: Enemy contact on Mordax Prime

Honored Cousin,

We have made landfall upon Mordax Prime and have proceeded to secure the vital facilities here with alacrity. Resistance has been light, mostly probing raids by heretic insurgents seeking to test our resolve. Rest assured, they shall find us a resolute and implacable foe. Though we remain unassailable, my company is stretched to its limits. We suffered grievous losses during the purgation of Gratican IX, and reinforcement would be welcome, should we hope to hold this world against the tides of chaos.

Additionally, our scouts have reported sightings of what appear to be Astartes bearing VIII Legion signifiers. I do not need to impress the importance of this upon you my most able cousin, if the Night Lords are here, then we are in for another bloody fight. My scouts reported however, that the appearance of these traitor legionnaires was vagabond and ragged. Perhaps we gave them a better thrashing on Gratican than last I believed. If they have lost the ability to repair and refit, then we may indeed be on the cusp of victory cousin. With holes in their armor and broken bolters in their fists, we shall make short work of this heretic scum.

Expect further update upon confirmation of VIII Legion presence or substantial enemy contact. The Emperor protects.

Severus out.

+++Message Ends+++

+++[Astartes Legionnaire: Designation Unknown]+++

"We do not fear death, for we are death incarnate."

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/1510733_10152558044408761_1057076379_n1_zps655ec709.jpg

AVE DOMINUS NOX

DV minis? Interesting! Do you have a plan to lengthen those guys? That's the main reason I shy away from models that have the torso and legs as one piece, which saddens me as more and more HH models FW does are coming this way.

Evil as hell man, I love it. Also KBA, I think the chosen from the DV set are already larger than standard marines so probably not worth lengthening.

Edited by Guts

These are fantastic, I love the guy on the right especially. As for the helmet predicament why not go for an undamaged Zerker helm but work your paint magic with a terror marking skull. I think the DV head works fine on the Termi but as someone else said its a little to plain at the back for the biker. Excellent work either way.

*squees* Plague Marines! Heinrich Style! :D

Those are somewhat terrifying, Heinrich, and I'm eager to see more of them, but I can't help but think they won't fit the warband...

But no matter my reservations, I look forward to being proven wrong ;)

Oh, those hooded skulls are just grim-looking, Im loving that idea!

Thanks man, I've had this idea floating around my head for a while.

Oh man. Heinrich- nice sculpting on those hoods. I'm ready to see some paint on these fellas.

Thanks man, soon enough. I'm planning on building 7 (for obvious reasons)

DV minis? Interesting! Do you have a plan to lengthen those guys? That's the main reason I shy away from models that have the torso and legs as one piece, which saddens me as more and more HH models FW does are coming this way.

Actually GW pulled a fast one and got the scaling right on these bad boys. Here's one of my Plague Marine WIPs next to a loyalist true scale Marine I did a while ago:

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/1551647_10152560500393761_1360376064_n_zps8734fba1.jpg

Evil as hell man, I love it. Also KBA, I think the chosen from the DV set are already larger than standard marines so probably not worth lengthening.

Thanks brother. WHEN ARE YOU GONNA GET YOUR DAMN EMPERORS CHILDREN UP HERE????

These are fantastic, I love the guy on the right especially. As for the helmet predicament why not go for an undamaged Zerker helm but work your paint magic with a terror marking skull. I think the DV head works fine on the Termi but as someone else said its a little to plain at the back for the biker. Excellent work either way.

Thanks man, I'm gonna stick with the fractured helm so I can paint the face beneath like a bleached skull, thus tying him into, and making him the cause of, the new dark path that the 15th has taken.

Huh. Weird.

Didn't know my ex-wife and her mother moved to Oregon...

(I kid. Great work man, they look terrifying.)

Haha thanks man.

And there he goes again...:thumbsup:

Those are gonna look nasty.

Thanks man, I'm up in the air as to how to paint them though. Debating either black, rust-streaked armor with lightning markings, or same as the rest of the company but with rust streaks and corrosion.

Now these are going to be interesting. Going off the fluff you've written I can only guess counts as Plague Marines? Either way, it's a superb concept.

Thanks, they are indeed gonna be Plague Marines. (Got tired of the Atramentar dying in EVERY battle)

Ooooh, pretty. I'm glad you've made those goofy looking DV guys who don't fit in the normal chaos line look amazing!

Thanks as always Flint. 

the look great, i like them, but a big fan of skulls :smile.:

Thanks man, I'm enjoying the heck out of your Obliterator project. The armor trim you do is fantastic.

That's some top notch gs work right there.

Thanks man.

*squees* Plague Marines! Heinrich Style! :biggrin.:

Those are somewhat terrifying, Heinrich, and I'm eager to see more of them, but I can't help but think they won't fit the warband...

But no matter my reservations, I look forward to being proven wrong :wink:

Yeah I had reservations initally as well, I love Plague Marines and Nurgle, but I found it hard to rationalize with the Night Lords mentality. That is, until I realized that what I thought the Night Lords mentality was, was actually based on that of Talos and the 10th Company. I wanted to go in a decidedly radical direction for the 15th Company and stray away from the usual cliches you see in the VIII Legion to an even greater extent. However I didn't want to just do a fluff re-boot, instead I decided to weave the change into their story (as you'll see in the days ahead) and our local narrative campaign gave me material to do just that. I hope you enjoy and continue to follow me on the 15th Company's path to hell.

I hope you enjoy and continue to follow me on the 15th Company's path to hell.

HELL IS THE IMPOSSIBILITY OF REASON.

http://images.amcnetworks.com/blogs.amctv.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/platoon-560.jpg

THAT'S WHAT THIS THREAD FEELS LIKE.

HELL.

The Caedon Offensive:

The Fall of Volusia

In the twilight days of the 41st millennium, the 13th Black Crusade under the command of Abaddon the Despoiler, Warmaster of Chaos, broke through the Cadian gate and moved aggressively towards Terra. While the Warmaster’s Vanguard forces moved to secure their initial gains, his trusted lieutenants and various allied commanders ranged wider in an attempt to forestall and hamstring support for the beleaguered Imperial defense. The Caedon Belt, located to the spinward flank of the Warmaster’s advance, was targeted by the forces of two traitor legionnaire warbands under the joint command of Captain Hashec Tor and the Dark Apostle Othudel Los. 

Volusia, the jungle recruitment world of the Marines Exemplar, would play host to the violent initial clashes of what would become a protracted and bloody campaign as heretic forces sought to wrest control of the system from the Imperium. The 3rd Company of the Marines Exemplar, under the command of Captain Galvias Numitor, moved to shield key population centers and their recruitment command. These actions were largely successful, and the Word Bearer forces under Othudel Los were denied. However these victories came at a high cost, 0ver 75% of the local population had been corrupted by apostate preachers who infiltrated the cities in advance of the Word Bearers arrival. The Marines Exemplar were thus forced to cull the very people they set out to defend.

While Othudel Los and his Word Bearers were engaged to north, Hashec Tor and Night Lords 15th Company spread through the dense forests and equatorial swamps looking to cull the native population from which the Marine Exemplar drew it’s recruits. Though toughened by the hostile environment and endowed with an ancestral knowledge of the terrain, the native peoples were no match for the advanced technology and super-human prowess of the Night Lords. Realizing the need to defend a key source of their chapter’s recruits, Captain Numitor sent a tactical detachment under the command of Honored Brother Titus to persecute the Night Lords forces. The strike force met with disaster however, and was forced to withdraw after heavy anti-armor fire from entrenched Night Lord weapon teams incapacitated Brother Titus’ Dreadnought chassis.

Seeking to conserve what strength he had left, Captain Numitor began a tactical withdrawal from Volusia. Despite losing a key source of chapter recruitment, he acknowledged that the remainder of the Caedon Worlds would be left open to the archenemy if he wasted the lives of his company defending a world already overrun by Chaos. It was during the withdrawal that Doom Eagles scouts, shadowing the movements of Night Lord forces to the south, reported that a mysterious force of Craftworld Eldar had engaged Hashec Tor and the 15th Company. During this engagement the monstrous Night Lords Captain was reportedly slain by a close range blast from a xenos fusion weapon.

Though heartening, the news was bittersweet as Captain Numitor and the Marines Exemplar contemplated what this grave loss would mean for the future of their chapter…

Brutal Beerhammer in the jungles...

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Campaign/946073_723401814355486_69014442_n_zps9a9b2d9a.jpg

Only the dead know the end of dice rolls...

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Campaign/1476297_723401317688869_233354215_n_zps46554af4.jpg

Word Bearers and Marines Exemplar clash in the Volusian Capital.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Campaign/1474590_723401367688864_1118859466_n_zps86dd0e31.jpg

Othudel Los leads the Word Bearers host.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Campaign/1535666_780405235307490_1753691540_n_zps2e6e7178.jpg

Hordes of lost and damned Volusian citizens stream through the ruined city.

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Campaign/1530577_780406121974068_760412713_n_zps30034f81.jpg

The Marines Exemplar prepare to cleanse their people with extreme prejudice.  

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/58167_780405098640837_797576147_n_zps0c978c7e.jpg

First Blood for Chaos!

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Campaign/7e10105a-6e4f-4f53-b6f0-7f07116f37bc_zpse96cd98c.jpg

So far so good everyone, we're really enjoying this campaign so far and things are just going to ramp up from here! We've got a new table in the works as well, so my time is going to be divided between painting my new Plague Marines and building Ice World refinery terrain. Any advice on mass painting snow would be very welcome as I've never done it before. I plan to use my airbrush to base coat it grey then do some light grey/white spots and do a final mass-drybrush of white for the texture. Hope you all enjoy, and I promise the desert warzone will have more pictures, maybe even a full Bat-Rep or two!

Ave Dominus Nox