Jolemai

The rumour mill has only recently started up for the Guard, so we've not heard anything that can be given any semblance of credibility yet. There's been some stuff banded around about early next year with possible supplements (Catachan, Steel Legion, Tallarn) and a bit of vague model stuff but that doesn't mean much as it was more or less "the units we're currently missing".

Then you get mention of a Baneblade in the codex and you start to venture into the realm of fanciful-but-maybe-plausible territory that the rumour mongers seem to love so much. So SOP is in effect, keep your munitorum issue salt dispenser with you at all times. Spread your Mechanicus approved salt liberally according to your Primer's instruction while reciting the litany of protection against falsehoods.

The new "in" thing for the recently released codices does seem to be monstrous creatures/mini-Titans worthy of Apocalypse (Riptide, Wraithknight) so I could see the Baneblade, especially since it already has a plastic kit. Although the most recent Codex: Space Marines seems to have diverged from this somewhat and they got the Centurions instead.

If C:SM is any indication, we might have more regiments covered by the main codex, including Steel Legion.

You see that's how the rumour mongers work, a lie is easier to believe if it sounds plausible... So who knows?

I'm not sure how I feel about it. When Baneblades were first introduced I was terrified but then after encountering them I realised they were basically super sized Russes. So they're outclassed by many of the other Apoc things but still pretty cool. Then we got the variants with a bit of variety but still generally more of the same - a super 40k scale tank.

In a normal 40k game however they'd feel a bit mean. Though by no means unstoppable, especially should a Dreadnought or loads of melta drop in or when faced with some fancier weapons tech, it still feels a little OTT. Then again, you have the Eldar and their Wraithknight being a jump MC of doom now and there is some precedent in Spearhead so maybe 6th is the era of the mad where this sort of thing goes now.

As we all know, that makes it time to look to the insane for guidance... and fielding Apoc grade units in normal 40k feels pretty insane to me. I'm not sure how they'd fit it in without upsetting how the codex works though. In place of all three Heavy Support slots seems plausable but it would force the army to more or less revolve around the Baneblade which would be a bit boring. Mind you, for the points cost of one it'd probably have no choice!

If you were to asks me if I'd take a Baneblade if it was part of normal 40k though? You can bet the Golden Throne I would, no treadhead worth his salt would pass it up - but I'd probably give my opponent fair warning in advance. Should this rumour be true we'll definitely have to see how it all pans out.

I don't think the baneblade will be in. And here's why. How many points is 1 baneblade? Now how many points is a Riptide or a wrathknight? (points as in I spent as much as I possibly could on it!) If either of the last two are not even close to a baneblade in either cost or Percentage of points spent then it seems unlikely.  Taking into account a possible points drop for infantry as well? to meet a percentage of points spent.

Just my thoughts. 

Though I don't exactly think a baneblade would unbalance a game as at 2000+ points their are so many build options across the board. 

I really hope for some rumors about artillery or cannons of some kind. I keep thinking about the conqueror cannon and how cool it would be as field artillery.

Yeah, for 2000pts you're "only" looking at a quarter of your army but with what GW's being doing recently it's not as easy as it was to know where they're going/doing/thinking. Or sometimes if they're even thinking at all :P

If you're looking at new stuff though it's probably pretty easy to conjure up a new tank to give us. There's got to be at least two new models going by recent releases in the codex so perhaps the question is "does GW consider a kit for an existing unit entry new"? I'd wager yes, if you take into account the Space Marine's Epic toy getting into 40k. I'd gladly trade any new toys for all of our models getting kits or updates where applicable.

Then again, you'd have to consider this: if a Baneblade takes up 3 FOC slots, exactly how many Wraithknights and Riptides can fit into it's points (IIRC, 525 w/o sponsons, +50pts per pair) Multiple models will usually trump single models any day (unless you're going with a blob of 50 guys against say... Mephiston. then the guys are screwed)

Im hoping we don't get a new codex any time soon. Cause the nerf hammer cometh. Being both a chaos and DA player I was disapointed with the crappy ”balanced” codexes. Both are playable but really have only 1 competitive build each. Bikes for DA and hellchicken spam for chaos. The relics are lame and few can even take them. Crappy psychic powers(chaos) or none at all(DA). Repointing for good or bad(expect valkeries and vendettas to skyrocket in points). FOC changes with special characters that apply only to primary army. New plastic kits will ne nice but there are already a bunxh of units that are in this dex that dont have kits yet, soo...

My "math" may have been off? A riptide can come up to over 300 points but I didn't look to see what a troop would cost the fishheads.

3 LRBT cost around 400 points And might be a lot better then a BaneBlade. maybe. 

I am not worried about "nerf" were guard. Puee puee puee... A competitive list seems to be relative and reliant on a set amount of points to build them. I think their would be a fair shake up at games over 2000 points for a lot of armies. I would also not want a BaneBlade to eat 3 slots either. I'm sure their must be a few other units or vehicles that GW has used in epic that they could bring into 40K. I would like to see a rough rider platoon entry beasts seem to be fairly good. 

just pure speculation on my part here I agree the baneblade is a no no for the new dex but:

ideas they add new stuff right to make us buy more stuff so what aspects of the guard haven't been elaborated for example wraithknight= elder knight titan.

option1 pure guard

an alternate build for guard units aka drop troops airborne or even armoured -most covered by forgeworld ish

option2 add mech

a unit of skittari or knight titan etc

option 3 ecclesiarch

role the sisters of battle into the guard book

just some random thoughts me and my group were talking over   

I would personally love option #3 of your speculations, clanfield. But I think they'll probably keep sisters/ecclesisrchy separate and inaccessible (seems impossible to get the WD list -- I missed out when the issue was released and have been unable to find a legal PDF).

Very interesting, I don't think SoB should be rolled into Guard but it would be able to make sense - so long as SoB could be fielded purely on their own. That could allow for a tri-force of Guard, Marines and Sisters which I'd love... It'd also mean SoB would get an update which would of course be good but it'd feel a bit hollow. You could argue there's a bit of precedent with the BT a little too.

Being able to run different regiment types would be cool, though save for a tank regiment we can pretty much do that already. Pure vehicle armies would probably not be as powerful as before with the new 6th rules for vehicles (aka "GW still loves MCs")... so maybe.

Keeping in mind the allies matrix in the main rulebook, I think they will keep Sisters a separate codex. My wish list dies include access to, the the very least, more reasonably priced priests and at best greater access to Ecclesiarchy stuff (like in the 3rd Ed rulebook which let you have inquisitors, confessors, missionaries, and preachers).

I think the nerf bat is coming for the Vendetta and (hopefully) the Manticore. Fortunately I didn't jump on those bandwagons. I don't begrudge people who use/like them, but I think they're underpriced fir what they do.

Yeah there's a few things that need points or rules balancing currently. Generally speaking GW are pretty good at identifying broken things, though the fixing only comes much later but that's better than nothing. They're the only ones with the complete sales figures so would surely know best what flies off the shelves tongue.png

Otherwise I think we have a really good codex with lots of options and fun to be had so I hope they don't make too many radical changes. They could just tweak the codex and release a raft of re-sculpts and missing models and I'd be dancing in the streets laugh.png

Shall we start with the wishlisting?

Personally, I'd want different regiments available, but able to have special characters be part of that regiment (not like the Spehss Mahreens and their METAL BAWKSES)

Such as... Catachan, Cadian, Vostroyan, Mordian, Valhallan, Tanith, ect.

I'd even like vehicles other than tanks (like trucks, the tauros vehicles, ect.)

Heck, I'd wishlist all the ForgeWorld stuff into the codex! Except maybe the big superheavies that carry D weapons/pieplates bigger than 5". Macharius variants might be doable?

On the subject of new stuff: let's face it: we're gonna get at least two shiny new "gotta have it" kits, like pretty much every other codex has. As for what those kits might be, here is my wild and baseless speculation:

-A big, heavy walker. GW seems in love with stompy things, and we've already got an AT-ST knockoff. Someone might figure we need an AT-AT to go with. Personally, I don't like this idea but I'd roll with it if the mech was 1) a Walker and 2) shooty. Basically, for this to work it should be just like a bigger Sentinel: clunky looking and packing lots of dakka for the size.

-A not-quite-superheavy. All these super-MCs lately seem like they're about taking the iconic unit of a faction and sizing it up until it's just shy of being an Apoc unit. This would be the same thing with a Leman Russ. I would be okay with this, but only if it's going to be a plastic kit of an existing design that makes sense in the role. For example, the Ragnarok and Malcador seem like they could both fit. With the Malcador technically being an Apoc unit, though, I wouldn't count on it becoming a standard unit.

Honestly, the thing about IG is that while a lot of other codices have obvious "spaces" to fill (usually fliers and tiple-A) we don't. We've got tanks. We've got fliers. We've got flak. We've got artillery. We've got infantry. What else is there, you know?

As for what I want out of our update:

-Plastic carapace armor models.

-An armored car as a FA option. Just for poops and giggles. Besides, ACs are one of the few military implements we don't have yet. If we're gonna get new toys it might as well be something that makes sense.

-Make the Vanquisher worth it. Either give it the option for a co-axial weapon or the option to fire HE shells from the main gun. Maybe both.

-Make the Punisher worth it. Give it better AP, more range, some special rules, just something to justify being the second most expensive Russ variant.

-Add the Leman Russ Annihilator to the regular codex. It makes so much sense fluff-wise: the Vanquisher is getting harder to produce and it's the ace tank-killer for IG. Solution? The Annihilator. After all, lascannons can be churned out by tons of Manufactora, yes? In the fluff this makes it the perfect tank to slowly supplant the Vaquisher, and gameplay-wise it'd make a cheaper but weaker alternative to the Vanquisher. Plus it looks cool.

-Sponsons/Lumbering Behemoth/Heavy. Sort this, please. The change rendered sponsons not of much use for two of the most reliable Russ variants, hampering them. Plus, the Demolisher was the only variant for which melta sponsons were useful and now that Gets Hot! affects vehicles the only sponsons that seem to be of any use are the bolters. It'd be nice to bring some options back to the Russ (maybe even lascannon sponsons? Pretty please?).

-"Flavor" rules for different famous regiments, like the chapter tactics in the new SM codex. I like the idea of an army's playstyle fitting its fluff and having more options is usually good.

-Balance the Vendetta. Yes, it's ridiculously awesome right now. And that's kinda the problem, pretty much every IG army worth its salt already has at least one FA slot spoken for. It'd be nice if the other FA options could see some use.

-Sort the Elites slot. Other than STs or Marbo for fun there's not really anything here. Making some of these actually competitive would be great.

-Penal Legion. Make these guys neat. Give'em some options and make them more reliable than having to roll on a table. (Though for the record they have a pretty decent table. No matter what you get you know they're gonna be good at CQC.)

id like to see the return of the medals as war gear  loved that ,I also would love a rough rider platoon not just squad as to your truck idea hell yes that could be fun

I also like the emplaced arty forge world do that could be fun some thing like a 18lber at gun  and while where talking about trucks what about a security unit of military police aka dirty dozen idea penal platoon

and generic tank aces .

I love the idea of the imperial char added such as inquisitors missionary's etc

also a real fighter/bomber I love the valk but she's a transport by design

The different regiment stuff is a good idea, but it would be a grave error to limit them like C:SM does Chapers as the Guard are the most varied army out there so we should have plenty of options for forging our own armies.

More models would be great, and plastic Rough Riders (with associated boosts to rules to help sales, of course :P ) would be a great way to complement the inevitable nerf for the Vendetta. Choice is always good, so it's annoying when GW offer it with a heavy bias that penalises those who aren't only after the biggest and best.

The different regiment stuff is a good idea, but it would be a grave error to limit them like C:SM does Chapers as the Guard are the most varied army out there so we should have plenty of options for forging our own armies.

More models would be great, and plastic Rough Riders (with associated boosts to rules to help sales, of course tongue.png ) would be a great way to complement the inevitable nerf for the Vendetta. Choice is always good, so it's annoying when GW offer it with a heavy bias that penalises those who aren't only after the biggest and best.

I don't really care about the specifics as long as I can get some special rules to give my IG some character. Mordians should have excellent discipline and be able to stand firm under conditions that would take the fight out any other Guard unit beside DKoK. Steel Legion should be experts at slaying Orks and mechanized warfare in general. Catachans should be canny ambushers capable of showing everyone that IG can be subtle and crazy like a fox. And so on.

And I'll second the Rough Riders. It's just sad how bad they are right now. At the very least they should have T4 and be given pistols and CCWs instead of being forced to choose.

Also, another pet peeve of mine: IG sarges have to have close range weapons. Really, the shootiest thing they get is a vet sarge with a shotgun. Yet SM sarges can tote around boltguns and storm bolters. Why are IG sarges shoehorned into CC? It doesn't make any sense to me. At least gimme the option to replace the laspistol with a lasgun for free. Throwing in the option for some IG combi-weapons (like those underslung 'nade launchers Elysians get) would be icing on the cake.

Heavy bolter weapon teams could use a recosting as well, while we're at it. They compete pretty directly now with autocannons, but there's really no contest. Drop the bolter's price by 5 points and it'll start looking viable again.

Archived