Jolemai

I can't agree with giving a Toughness bonus to Rough Riders. Other models get their bonus from riding mounts with at least minimal armour; it represents shots spanking off the chassis. Hit a horse with those same shots and you've still got a combat ineffective Rough Rider. There's no additional protection to be gained from riding a horse.

What I meant about the Stubbers was: make them a Special Weapon. Period. For all IG units with access to SWs. Not just for STs. And yes, I fully mean for the possibility of Veteran dakka squads this way. Imagine all the heretics and xenos you could kill...

@shortysl: Understood, but the idea of making them T4 is also a balance issue. They're cavalry, but they're no more durable than regular Guardsmen. The reason, gameplay-wise, for making bikes and cavalry tougher than their non-mounted counterparts is that such units are supposed to be mobile. A squad of Guardsmen is still perfectly effective camped out in some cover or inside a Chimera. A squad of Rough Riders doing that? They're being wasted. They need something to keep them alive long enough to hit the enemy. If not T4 then perhaps a mobile cover save, 2 wounds, or carapace armor being standard. Heck, even Outflank or Scouts.

What I meant about the Stubbers was: make them a Special Weapon. Period. For all IG units with access to SWs. Not just for STs. And yes, I fully mean for the possibility of Veteran dakka squads this way. Imagine all the heretics and xenos you could kill...

@shortysl: Understood, but the idea of making them T4 is also a balance issue. They're cavalry, but they're no more durable than regular Guardsmen. The reason, gameplay-wise, for making bikes and cavalry tougher than their non-mounted counterparts is that such units are supposed to be mobile. A squad of Guardsmen is still perfectly effective camped out in some cover or inside a Chimera. A squad of Rough Riders doing that? They're being wasted. They need something to keep them alive long enough to hit the enemy. If not T4 then perhaps a mobile cover save, 2 wounds, or carapace armor being standard. Heck, even Outflank or Scouts.

Outflank would be good, and nicely representative of the way cavalry like that should work. Give them the ability to charge the turn they arrive to represent the fact that they, unlike Bikes, make no noise as they approach and therefore take the enemy completely by surprise. Nice suggestion, I like that.

Yeah, not everything should be grounded in "reality" - balance is important as a useless unit is still useless no matter how accurate it may be. Though I don't think charging horses are all that much quieter than bikes when they get close :P It'd be nice to have the option for them to be more like Dragoons or something and carry guns, it's not like cavalry are exclusively combat orientated. It'd be a great way for GW to make the new kit have lots of nice bits too.

So would you give rough riders 2 Special weapons per squad as well as the lasguns? Some fast meltas or flamers would be fun

Def think heavy stubbers should be a special weapon choice. I like the idea of 3 of them in a special weapons squad, some machine guns that look like they can be moved by their crew would be good

It's far better and also a hell of a lot easier to work out just treating it as a firing port. It's a throw back to the old days where anything and everything was finely documented and you had to roll to see what side of the bike your rider got off on*. I like the more streamlined nature of things, let's not take a step back and make games get too fiddly - though with some of the bits and bobs turning up in recent codices maybe we are slipping a little.

* an exaggeration, but not by much...

Was actually thinking of them being able to fire at different targets in a similar way to the Ghost Arc, but I know that three rapid firing Lasguns isn't going to make me wet my pants anytime soon...

I like chimeras the way they are now ofc id love them to relaunch the griffon model .we need some kind of crazy ww2 type damler scout car or marmon harrington affair and a throw back to rt days landspeeder storms for our vets :)

A Daimler type model would be great, but I think that's pretty much covered by the Salamander smile.png As soon as GW's warehouses get new Griffon models in they'd be a mysterious break in over the night. The Griffons would be gone and the only clue would be a a bit of graffiti in Catachan Green that said "144th woz ere". It would be one of the 21st Century's greatest mysteries.

Been thinking, of all everything GW could add to the next IG Codex, I think a single special character would make me ecstatic; Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium.  An HQ choice that comes with Jurgen and a dedicated transport of a command Salamander with a pintle mounted heavy bolter and a special rule that while Jurgen drives (embarked) it does not need to make dangerous terrain checks. 

A character from books in a codex? I think you might be waiting a long time, I don't think GW will be doing that any time soon as they seem to like keeping them separate.

Considering the implications of getting the character into a rule set in a meaningful and balanced way and fighting the different interpretations of the variety of people on the internet... well let's just say I can see why they might not want to try.

Been thinking, of all everything GW could add to the next IG Codex, I think a single special character would make me ecstatic; Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium.  An HQ choice that comes with Jurgen and a dedicated transport of a command Salamander with a pintle mounted heavy bolter and a special rule that while Jurgen drives (embarked) it does not need to make dangerous terrain checks.

Isn't Cain from a timeline ahead of where GW are currently at?

Isn't Cain from a timeline ahead of where GW are currently at?

Depends on how old he is. 

A Daimler type model would be great, but I think that's pretty much covered by the Salamander smile.png

Not entirely. An armoured car would have a turret, wouldn't be a tank or open topped, and could have different weapons. Wouldn't be a terrible idea to add the Salamander to the IG codex, though.

Oh, another justification for making heavy stubbers available: Chaos Cultists get them. I mean, if a rabble of poorly organized heretic cannon fodder can get their mitts on some, why can't they be issued to regular IG units who ostensibly have the logistical apparatus of the Imperium at their back? Doesn't make sense, I tell ya!

I like the idea of supplements. I was just thinking -- with the pace at which GW is releasing new codices this edition, what are they going to do come mid-2015 when everyone has a new codex? I am sure hoping that they will then switch over to doing supplements with new models rather than 7th edition already.

I like the idea of supplements. I was just thinking -- with the pace at which GW is releasing new codices this edition, what are they going to do come mid-2015 when everyone has a new codex? I am sure hoping that they will then switch over to doing supplements with new models rather than 7th edition already.

Just a thought... 

They'll skip 7th entirely, and go straight to 10th! They'll even go insane enough to even lower prices by 50% across the board! They'll even advance the story line! Primarch models will appear suddenly, as will boxes of 100 Guardsmen (All veterans with carapace armor, and each has a plasma gun, melta gun, and lasgun, can use them all in the same turn!)

If they add a big tank, then the Malcador and varients are the perfect contender for the position both in terms of fluff and rules. This I think is probaly unlikely.

Looking at the SM codex and others, I see no reason why they couldn't do something similar for Guard. The doctrine system was good for keeping a lid on all the things people complain that guard have, as well as making a list more narrative.

I am however content with the C:IG, there are other armies they should be doing first.

Archived