Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

When online, I'm not always able to comment because I'm @work :tongue.:

But like everything so far. If anything, a nice touch would be add a small mountain of empy bolt casings near the dead marine and a couple amount near the vexillarius. I understand if you don't add spikes and skulls, as this part of the aquila is imperial ground, but some minor details like the shells and even the odd empty magazine may add some character to the vignette.

Cheers!

Edited by Maximvs

Like lots of dakka used on the unstoppable....thing...

Could painting a hellish glow between the aquilla on Angron's side of things? Show the Eldrich hell that's unfolding beneath his feet??

Crouching smurf;

"Brother Callas Crichton, tossed his empty bolter magazine down, it's dull clatter fading in the heavy air as he slammed his last magazine into his bolter. His eyes could not beleive the monstrosity before him, and his mind railed at what once was an astartes, now a howling, raging architect of obliteration as the deliberate carnage but a prelude to the on-coming massacre.

One of his squad lay with a smoking crater in the lens of his helm, the shot pulverising his head into mush. And as in battle, there was no time for lament for the dead. Only the heat and smell of the dead, and gunsmoke. There was very little time for reflection or revier, or remembrance.

There was a sudden howl of pain, an inhuman scream that defied all comprehension. Except this scream was not from a man becoming a monster...

...Callas looked up from his fallen brother to see the thing, the creature that had once been an astartes tear Sergeant Hadran in half, disregarding him as little more than an insect bothering a bovine. There came a gutteral sound, a bitter laughter that seemed to echo all around, reverberate through Callas and through the broken aquilla beneath his feet.

Hell had arrived...hell was real..."

I'd be tempted to add some sort of big wound on the kneeling Smurf's leg, just so there's an explanation for why he's kneeling...plus it gives you n excuse to add MOAR BLUD to the scene :)

There's never an excuse to add MOAR BLUD, I mean you don't want to...

DECAPITATE THAT LOYALIST!!!!

...ahem....

Great looking base so far! I'm really looking forward to seeing the project completed :)

Also, I'm hanging out to see you paint up some more HH World Eaters, particularly that amazing Chaplain ;)

As it's pre codex days..would the chaplains be all in legion colours, or would something be painted black?? Like an arm...or shoulder pad??

Really nice work with the base diorama; shows the true aspect of the astartes to fight against the most horrific odds without wavering.

I echo @Maximvs and would also suggest spent shell casings, magazines etc.

That is coming together nicely. I am looking forward to seeing how the pain goes down on the base. Are you planning on having the ground around Big Red being changed by his presence? With the corruption it cause spreading across the aquilla.

Thanks a lot for the continuous stream of feedback and ideas, everyone! I really appreciate it! :)

@ Biohazard: Cheers, buddy! :) I was actually surprised by the fact that two Ultramarines seem to be the maximum you can place on that huge aquila without losing any of the cool detail provided by the shattered ground. That being said, it does feel like a pretty balanced setup now, doesn't it?

@ Maximvs: Fun fact: I actually thought about having some bolter magazines in front of the kneeling Astartes, to make it seem as though he had spread his remaining ammo out in front of him, in order to be able to quick-reload during the coming battle ;) I abandoned the idea for two reasons, thiugh: One, I don't really think bolter magazines would look much like anything on their own, so the effect probably wouldn't work. And there's also the fact that a stack of cartridges would have hinted at a protracted shootout, when I really picture the scene like this: Angron swoops in and kills the guy in the middle in passing (Vector Strike FTW! ;) ), then focuses on the squad leader/Centurion with the sword, tearing him apart. Then he turns around and prepares to charge at that pesky lone bolter Marine still taking potshots at him, all in half a minute, tops.

That being said, featuring some spent shell casings is an excellent idea! I have now added some casings near both the fallen and the kneeling Marine. Thanks for the cool suggestion!

@ Andvarr A & Thousand Eyes: I don't want some massive corruption spreading across the aquila, mostly because I think the most successful effect would be for both bases to slot together seamlessly, while the small base should also work on its own without seeming cut-off from a larger whole. And some creeping marks of corruption seem like they would run a risk of interfering with that effect. I do want to add some glow around the area where Angron's hoof touches the ground, though, to show how the flames created by the physical contact with his body are beginning to heat up the stone.

@ Svartmetall: Sorry, mate, but I have to admit that I am going to be really careful with the blood: There'll be some blood around the legs of the leftmost Ultramarine, and some on the fallen Marine in the middle, but nothing too extreme. I find that too much blood invariably leads to a cartoony, somewhat puerile sense of escalation -- like we all used to paint red colour on the blades of our very first models, feeling really edgy and grown-up in the process? Anyway, it's an effect that's really easy to overdo, so I'll be careful.

@ kizzdougs: Oh, we'll be getting back to those 30k World Eaters eventually, don't worry ;) Tell you what, why don't you start and I'll catch up to you later. After all, you still owe me that Bloodraver-based Rampager squad ;)

@ Andvarr A: Regarding the Chaplain, while the official background says he shouldn't be in black, I really want him to be in black, as I loved that look on Poom's  and Fabricator-General's Chaplains, so black it is ;)

@ Mechanist: The plan is to focus on Angron's actual base first, although I will have to work on some steps beforehand to make sure both parts of the base fit together. The idea is to undercoat both parts black, then add grey sprapaint to the aquila, thereby giving it a basecoat and maybe even some pre-shading. And then I'll be working on the smaller part of the base first, I believe.

Shouldn't there be a little spray over the stone as Angron swings about half a dying marine? Not necessarily a lot, but a bit here and there.

Marine blood clots crazy fast so you can get away without much blood even with both hearts going. I expect Kraut will have a few drips though. 

Alright, guys, with all of the conversion work and extra texture on Angron's display based finished, I headed outside today to add black undercoat to the right side of the base as well. And then both parts were sprayed with Army Painter Uniform Grey (a bit more carefully this time around):

angrons-base-wip-39.jpg

Now at first glance it might seem as though we were back to square one (the unpainted plastic), but upon closer examination, the grey works really well with the Liquid GS-based texture to create a slightly sandy, stony look on the aquila parts. There's also a slight shading effect on the areas that aren't part of the shattered aquila, as a consequence of focusing the grey spray on the actual stone.

angrons-base-wip-40.jpg

angrons-base-wip-41.jpg

Now the fallen Astartes in the middle and the upper body of the guy on the right have been taken off for now, as they will be painted separately. Oh, and you should also be able to make out the shell casings I've added to the base!

The next step will be to focus on Angron's part of the base, in order to finally finish the actual model:

angrons-base-wip-42.jpg

angrons-base-wip-43.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Yes while it does look like you have gone back to bare plastics it is often the case that laying down a good foundation for models is very advantageous.  Looking forward to seeing were you go with this and how it will look when Big Red stands on it.

Cheers, guys! :) Oh, and Maximvs: There are actually seven chell casings, all in all -- better count again ;)

Anyway, here's an update on Angron's base. Take a look:

angrons-base-wip-44.jpg

angrons-base-wip-45.jpg

angrons-base-wip-46.jpg

These pictures show the base before the blood came on. Of particular interest is the following shot, showing the difference between the basecoated and the finished stone on the aquila:

angrons-base-wip-47.jpg

And here's the base with the blood in place:

angrons-base-wip-48.jpg

angrons-base-wip-49.jpg

angrons-base-wip-51.jpg

angrons-base-wip-52.jpg

angrons-base-wip-54.jpg

angrons-base-wip-50.jpg

Next stop: The Lord of the XII Legion on his base. Until then, as always, let me know what you think! :)

angrons-base-wip-53.jpg