Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

The spike is there to grip onto the victim making it harder to pull away. You can then drag the blade down onto the trapped target.

Looking amazing already Kraut and I'm expecting an exciting change when the hull goes on to really finish it off. So glad this made it into the ETL.

@ bluntblade: Cheers! :smile.:

@ Bjorn Firewalker & Mechanist: The original reason was "because it looks cool" and because I wanted the sword to look somewhat less stubby. As for the in-universe explanation, it's exactly as pointed out by Mechanist (cheers, mate! :smile.: ). Plus I've made the whole mechanism look as though the spike can be moved out of the way of the blade, at least a bit. In any case, it's not something I would change halfway through the painting process either way... :wink:

Speaking of which, it turns out I couldn't stop myself until the base colours were blocked in on the second arm as well...

chaos-armiger-pip-16.jpg

chaos-armiger-pip-17.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

Fantastic progress indeed! Man, your metals really are a thing of beauty. I know your recipe, but stilll there's something about what you do that makes it looks so perfect. Impressive.

Also, guilt tripping you? I was serious. Bird poop is hard to remove and it looked like you sanded that sucker until only the white -unremovable- stain remained.  

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys! I hope you won't mind if I keep sharing progress on this project in smaller steps and increments -- if nothing else, the documentation is one more way for me to keep motivated to actually finish this thing ;)

With that out of the way, here's the current status:

chaos-armiger-pip-18.jpg

As you can see, the arms are basically done at this point -- including the plasma "special effect", obviously ;)

chaos-armiger-pip-21.jpg

chaos-armiger-pip-20.jpg

This also means that, with the exception of a bit of cleanup and some minor finishing touches, the Armiger's "skeleton" is now finished, and I'll be focusing on the armour plates next.

chaos-armiger-pip-22.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

chaos-armiger-pip-19.jpg

Looking more brutal with each update!

As for the plating, does that include the cockpit canopy? Having the top off has kind of grown on me for these armigers.

Yeah, kinda like it's some brutal form of the sentinel. 

Looking good, Krauty! Love to see how the canopy turns out. Are you going to base it too?

And however did you fix your problem of Blood Red being OOP?

The progress is exciting, do you think your on target for your vows? Also do you plan on doing much weathering to the Armiger? i've been trying to get some info together from different sources to help me and finally i think im about to try and do some weathering on my imperial knight for Azazels Technical august.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :smile.:

@ hushrong: Haha, I know, right? You kinda get used to the open topped Armiger like that :wink: I've actually seen a fantastic conversion online that uses an Armiger as a war machine for a Genestealer Cult, and it actually embraces the open cockpit design, making the machine look far more than a heavy duty exo suit in the process.

That being said, my Armiger will be getting that carapace -- sorry :wink: I'll be leaving it unglued, however, so I can still get a good look at the pilot every now and then -- and show him off to the adoring crowd ;)

@ Auggs: In a best case scenario, I'll be quick enough to actually include the base in my ETL vow, but seeing how bases are not strictly required, I may have to cut some corners -- I am pretty confident, however, that I'll be able to get it all sorted out in time.

As for the red, the Armiger, like my Imperial Knight, actually uses Mephiston Red, so the colour-problem didn't even arise. That being said, I will still need to come up with a proper new WE colour scheme at some point, and it's actually one of the factors keeping me from adding any more models to the army for the time being, along with wanting to wait for the "proper" WE release in order to find out how the army will develop -- I will just have to focus on the 4th assault company's 30k incarnation in the meantime...

@ Pandora's Bitz Box: Am I on target? Apart from having put this project off as long as I could and briefly panicking over whether I could still finish in time, I think that, yeah, I am about as on target as I possibly could be at this point ;)

As for the battle damage, sorry to dissapoint you! I did want the Armiger to resemble my older Imperial Knight, however, and the latter also only has very little battle damage. However, something more damaged and scratched will surely come down the line at some point, either on my INQ28 thread or when I next pick up my 30k World Eaters.

So, I seem to have settled into a well worn routine: Another day, another update:

It was 35 degrees Celsius today, but I still soldiered on regardless, and here's what I have to show for it: I've made some serious progress on the Armiger's top carapace:

chaos-armiger-pip-24.jpg

chaos-armiger-pip-26.jpg

chaos-armiger-pip-27.jpg

chaos-armiger-pip-29.jpg

chaos-armiger-pip-30.jpg

chaos-armiger-pip-32.jpg

All the base colours are in place, and the bronze areas have been finished. The red is also there, but still missing the highlights. There's also a fair bit of detail work left to be done (the rivets, top hatch viewing port, stuff like that). I have added some decals to tie the model into the lore of my army (and of the Knight Baron who is the pilot's commanding officer), though.

chaos-armiger-pip-25.jpg

chaos-armiger-pip-31.jpg

Cheers, guys! :smile.:

@ DuskRaider: I always try not to add decals as the last step, because I think if you add them after everything else has been completely finished, that often makes them look tacked on, like an afterthought. By applying them sooner, they can be weathered and damaged along with the rest of the model, as needed, in order to actually make them look more realistic. Now in this case, this only really involved a subtle pass of sepia wash to make them look just a bit more natural, but it's a habit I have picked up. Besides, none of them are in the way of the eventual highlighting, so I should be fine.

Here's an example of two models that take the whole "weathered decals" angle much further:

worker-9-and-raud-comparison.jpg
Edited by KrautScientist

Plus, he's at the verge of being trampled upon. He dead. D. E. D. Dead.

Great work on the carapace, Kraut! Looks good - and it, strictly speaking, not being part of your World Eaters, I bet it doesn't really matter that its hue of red is ever so off from the rest of the army. :tu: 

Have you ever tried mixing something into Mephiston Red to make it more like Blood Red?

Armiger is looking fantastic! Understandable that he will get the carapace armor and it's nice it's unglued to show off the ride. May I suggest the next one have a functional canopy hatch...or maybe bring back the T-Tops of yesteryear :teehee: In all seriousness your armiger looks great so glad you soldiered on!

Quick question, how'd you do the brass on the Khrone icon above its head? That's a lovely color you have there that I'd love to copy!

@Bjorn, yeah, that dreads next foot forwards is going to end with a crunch and pulp.

Thanks a lot, guys! :)

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Yes, I kinda liked the ambiguity of the situation: The Contemptor is no longer even looking at the fallen Ultramarine, who may yet reach that meltabomb. On the other hand, he's just one step away from being squished by the Contemptor's right foot -- whatever happens, it's going to end badly for one of them ;)

@ Auggs: Hmm, I don't think having to use a mixed colour as the most important colour across the army is a very promising start to a solid and easy painting recipe, buddy ;)

@ hushrong: I don't really want to have to dig out that top hatch, as it's really easy to ruin the carapace by doing that. The other Armiger will have a fully modeled cockpit as well, though, so I'll be going for another unglued carapace ;)

The bronze recipe is Vallejo Tinny Tin with a heavy wash of Army Painter Strong Tone, then a drybrush/highlight with Vallejo Bright Bronze.

First it was crazy hot, then it rained and rained, which is why today's photos are a bit lacklustre -- you can actually get an idea of the finished details on the carapace, though, and you can also see how I have started adding the leg armour:

chaos-armiger-pip-33.jpg

chaos-armiger-pip-34.jpg

great work with the temperature and all.

Do you use a wet pallet? I started using one over winter when the air was so dry from central heating and just can't imagine painting in this German heat this week without one.

I just use a Chinese takeaway tub with 4 layers of kitchen towel, normally I use parchment paper but didn't bring my role on holiday so raided my mums grease proof paper and it's actually working really well.

@ Auggs: Hmm, I don't think having to use a mixed colour as the most important colour across the army is a very promising start to a solid and easy painting recipe, buddy :wink:

Why? Just figure out the ratio of standard GW colours, write that recipe down, and mix a pot of the stuff when your last one is finished. Done. It's just a one-time effort to figure out the ratio and then just a single extra step per paint pot. Seems like a small price to pay to continue such a fantastic army! :D

I do this standard with my mauve red colour which is the base for all my red cloaks: 6 parts GW Khorne Red, 4 parts GW Caliban Green; and for the shade of my Imperial Fists: 7 parts GW Averland Sunset and 3 parts VMA Hull Red.