Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Sorry for the lack of updates, everyone: I am currently on fire, painting a long-neglected Ordo Hereticus retinue for INQ28:

Hidden Content

inquisitor-arslan-operatives-pip-2.jpg

I am actually considering posting some of my INQ28 work over here as well, seeing how this forum is still such a lively place, whereas some of my other online haunts slowly seem to be dying off due to so many people heading for - supposedly - greener pastures (instagram and Facebook).

Lovely work on the warband and coincidentally I am also starting a INQ28 campaign with a couple of mates. Stay tuned!

About Facebook and Instagram being supposedly greener pastures: you are sorely mistaken. This place is a haven of friendliness, constructive critique, and inspiration compared to those cesspools of negativity and vitriol. Give me the B&C any time of the day!!! :D :tu:

Happy birthday to your blog! The guardsmen looks great and its always a treat to see retro stuff pop back up.

I like the use of that goblin bit you used for your Word Bearers and I would honestly like to find some on ebay to stick on my slow growing Black Legion.

Cheers for the comments, everyone! :)

@ Auggs: Hey buddy, you back from your vacation already? Good to hear from you!

About Facebook and Instagram being supposedly greener pastures: you are sorely mistaken. This place is a haven of friendliness, constructive critique, and inspiration compared to those cesspools of negativity and vitriol. Give me the B&C any time of the day!!! :biggrin.::thumbsup:

Oh, absolutely agreed: When I called Instagram and Facebook "greener pastures", I was actually being sarcastic. In fact, I am pretty miffed at the way the forum and blogging scene gets pushed back by everyone and their cousin jumping ship for social networks at the moment.

Anyway, the prospect of seeing INQ28 work from you is actually rather exciting! As is the news of a possible INQ28 campaign -- maybe I could fly in for a game or two? Bubbles seems rather enthusiastic as well ;) On a related note, have you seen my new INQ28 thread? There might be some inspiration there for you.

@ hushrong: Thanks a lot, mate! If you have a gaming club near you, you might want to check whether anyone there still has some of those old Goblin shields and emblems: They are the kind of bitz that tend to amass in the collections and bitz boxes of longtime hobbyists, and I remember discovering lots of old Chaos Marauder shields at the local gaming club.

• 1 month later...

So, while most of my recent hobby output has been focused on INQ28, here's a small update to prove I haven't abandoned the runious powers ;)

During a recent trip to Berlin, I was able to visit a huge local FLGS (or rather, a "BLGS", as it were), probably the biggest hobby-related store in Germany. There I found the AdMech half of Forgebane for a pretty good price -- and who am I kidding, I simply wanted those Armigers. The fact that the Adeptus Mechanicus has one of the coolest model lines in 40k helped, of course ;)

Anyway, I spent the afternoon today trying to figure out the most interesting thing about the Armigers, that is how to add a cockpit to them. Yeah, a bit weird, I know, but I had such fun building a cockpit for my original Imperial Knight, Gilgamesh,...

chaos-knight-gilgamesh-the-warrior-king-

...that I just had to make a similar attempt for the Armigers. So here's what I have to show for my efforts:

armiger-cockpit-wip-1.jpg

armiger-cockpit-wip-2.jpg

Lack of space was even more of a problem this time around, and yet I managed to get it all wedged in there. In all fairness, however, I was basically standing on the shoulders of giants here, taking lots of cues from Biohazard's recent cockpit builds. Unlike him, I didn't have access to complete sentinel cockpits, though, so I had to cobble something together with the bits and bobs I had at hand.

From a structural perspective, the Armiger cockpit basically mirrors my build for the bigger Knight's cockpit, albeit in a slightly stripped down fashion. Here's a side view, showing you the basic setup, warts and all:

armiger-cockpit-wip-3.jpg

Admittedly, it all looks pretty messy, but once both side walls are in place, all the rough bits of the conversion actually get covered up rather nicely ;)

armiger-cockpit-wip-4.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

armiger-cockpit-wip-5.jpg

Great to see you tackling a cockpit as well bud, the parts you’ve used look really good together. I really like the rebreather he has. :tu: What do you have planned for the rest of the Knight?

I’ve done a little more work on my own ones but need to get updated pictures :tu:

Edited by Biohazard

Oh that is looking awesome! Very interested to see how you're going to chaos up the Armigers.

Also:

From a structural perspective, the Armiger cockpit basically mirrors my build for the bigger Knight's cockpit, albeit in a slightly stripped down fashion. Here's a side view, showing you the basic setup, warts and all:

armiger-cockpit-wip-3.jpg

Admittedly, it all looks pretty messy, but once both side walls are in place, all the rough bits of the conversion actually get covered up rather nicely ;)

Because of that picture I can't not imagine him with a Slavic accent and playing hardbass inside the cockpit. :lol:

That guy must have enormous glutes and quadriceps, having to work in a continuous squat like that ;) 

All kidding aside, I'm thoroughly stoked to find you working on this thread as well - I missed it! I'm also excited to see what you will do with the armigers - I bet you have learned a lot from Gilgamesh, and with Bio and Jeff also working on theirs, I bet you're going to make these look wicked!

Cheers for the feedback, guys! :)

@ hushrong: Thanks, mate!

@ Auggs & Mechanist: Yeah, having Biohazard's and JeffTibbetts' work to fall back on is quite comfortable, indeed ;) At the same time, it's also a bit stressful, because I want to come up with something that's at least mostly as good as the models they are building ;)

@ Krakendomcool: Cheers! And yeah, I think I'll be leaving the carapace plate detachable, so we can still get a look at the pilot and cockpit setup.

@ Biohazard: Cheers, buddy! Still trying to figure out the rest of the model, to be honest -- which makes me look forward to seeing your update even more ;)

@ Gederas: At first I felt a bit guilty for not including any kind of seat -- but the pilot is such a tight fit that you cannot really see anything that's underneath him, so I think I get a pass on that one. Plus I even had to file the side of his right arm flat, so he'd fit into the cockpit.

So here's the next Armiger update. I am still at the really early kitbashing stage, where I keep throwing bitz at the model to see what'll stick. That being said, I think I've already found a couple of elements that I want to keep:

chaos-armiger-wip-2.jpg

chaos-armiger-wip-1.jpg

• The Bloodthirster vambraces (used here as leg armour) are a keeper, I think, because they are such a perfect fit and also provide some instant Khornification ;)
  • As a fun surprise, that FW World Eaters Dreadnought head (that is rapidly turning into one of my favourite 40k bitz) works rather nicely here as well. I have at least two other head options I want to look at, but it's good to know that this one would also work really well -- just add some dangling cables underneath (like the ones on the stock Armiger head), and you're golden.
  • A mini-banner between the legs will provide some space for a bit of personal heraldry and battle history, which I think is a nice touch for a machine that has probably been serving the ruinours powers for a couple of centuries, at the very least.
  • I also think I want to keep the spiky halo on the shoulder, although it'll be much better integrated with the rest of the shoulder pad in the final version.

But anyway, feel free to let me know what you think! :)

Awesome Kraut ! Those bits look like they've been mold for this !

The head is a perfect match as mutch as the leg armour ! Great work on the pilots too :)  

Cracking work on the Armiger, the leg plating and detailed armour plate on the pelvis really take it straight into Khorne territory, whilst the spiked halo adds more variation and interest in the outline of the figure.

The bits of armor are a great choice and really good addition, the belt buckle too. 

I also like the head but as I talked about on Aug's thread and repetition of focus point bits I'll be interested to see it alongside the other models and how or if it stands out.

For the halo the idea is a good one but that looks like the old chaos vehicle sprue bit and it sticks out a bit like a sore thumb as it's very chunky compared to the more modern detail pieces. have you got any of the warshrine bits left I'm sure that there are some nicer ones in that kit?

Wow, I can't believe the vambraces fit so incredibly well! They look far, far better than those weird gaiter-like plates that are stock. The banner and crotch plate are great too, although I'd bang up the banner a bit as it looks a bit too fresh now (although I'm sure you were going to do that anyway). 

EDIT: I also like how much mileage you'regetting out of that dread head. I'm starting to think that you would have been just as happy had I ony given you the head! :D 

Great to see you back at the Khorne game!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Damn awesome ! The kitbash is brilliant on that Armiger, well no, to be fair, all of your kitbash are brilliant i think, and a great source of inspiration for me, even if i don't do Khorne minions.

Edited by Drunes

Wow that dread head really does look perfect in there. Wonderful chaotic take on the armiger so far, can't wait to see where it goes.

Your making me rethink my plan for building the Knight I've had laying around for awhile. I keep going back and forth on chaos and loyalist.

Thanks for the enthusiastic feedback, guys! I was slow to start on this model, but now I feel like I've hit my stride -- and your comments have certainly played a part in that! ;)

So, here's another round of Armiger pictures. I do think I have found the final head for the guy:

chaos-armiger-wip-3.jpg

chaos-armiger-wip-4.jpg

chaos-armiger-wip-5.jpg

chaos-armiger-wip-6.jpg

If you liked the FW Dread head better, don't worry -- there's a pretty solid chance it'll make a return on my second Armiger ;)

Apart from that, you might be able to tell from the pictures that I am closing in on the kind of look I want for the armour. It's tempting to go overboard with decoration, but when all is said and done, this is just a Man at Arms for Gilgamesh and his pilot, the Baron Harrowthorne, so I'll need to stop adding detail before the model ends up looking more ostentatious than the bigger Knight. At the moment, I am trying to figure out what to do with the weapon arms -- I think for my first Amiger, I'll be going with a fairly standard chainsword, yet I am thinking about using one of the plasma cannons from the Forgefiend for the gun arm. Thoughts?

Oh, and here are some pictures with the top carapace plate taken off:

chaos-armiger-wip-7.jpg

chaos-armiger-wip-8.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Very nice indeed. That head is a no-brainer - although I demand that 'my' head goes on your eventual (because who are you kidding, you're getting that second one) other Armiger. ;) 

I'm not sure about the plasma cannon  -it would depend heavily on how you would go about that - for the FF plasma cannons only work when directly plugged into a vertical port -which on a Knight would mean directly onto his shoulder, instead of under the elbow of an arm. That kinda defeats the whole 'Knight' vibe of the armiger, and would make it look more like a Space Crusade dreadnought. How about instead of changing up the shooty arm, changing the close combat arm? Maybe a lance-like weapon!? OOOH OOOOH this gave me an idea: how about the World Eaters Harpoon thingy whatsitcalled -you know, that traditional thing. Dammit, the name eludes me, but you must know what I mean!

Cheers for the feedback, buddy! I already have the second Armiger, because I bought the entire AdMech half of Forgebane, like I said. So it's really not a question of if, but rather a question of when :wink:

As for the plasma cannon, don't forget that the Forgefiend cannons are mounted (and proportioned) similarly to Armiger weapons, so size and position wouldn't be an issue, really. I'd just need to build some kind of connection for the Armiger's upper arm.

As for a lance or Ursus Claw, I've been thinking about the exact same thing, although my plan is to go with a fairly stock chainsword for the first set of arms, then go a bit more experimental for the second CC weapon. Like Talarion did with his excellent Armigers here. And since the arms are interchangeable, I'll be able to swap arms between both Armigers as needed.

Edited by KrautScientist