Khorne's Eternal Hunt - KrautScientist's chaotic WIP thread: Fine-tuning Eightbound...

Alright, everyone, here's the next batch of WIP models for you. Today, I have a few models for you that will most likely end up as Chosen whenever I manage to get them painted. Or they could be used as more ornate berzerkers. For now, though, the fact that they are more detailed and ornate than your run-of-the-mill zerker makes them a rather nice fit for the 4th assault company's elite corps, known as the Sons of Cron:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/1/6/571228-Berserkers%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

As you can see, some of these started out as Chosen from the Dark Vengeance boxed set, while others are kitbashes from older CSM models and some bitz from more recent kit:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/1/6/571226-Berserkers%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/1/6/571225-Berserkers%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

The champ for the squad so far, believe it or not, started out as one of the Bolter wielding Chosen from Dark Vengeance:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/1/6/571227-Berserkers%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

As always, your feedback is very welcome!

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2014/1/6/571224-Berserkers%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20Chosen%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Khorne%2C%20Khorne%27s%20Eternal%20Hunt.JPG

What Kits did you use to make the Champion? Particularly the Chest Shoulder Pads and Head?

Edited by Brother Eleysium

Alright, everyone, here's the next batch of WIP models for you. Today, I have a few models for you that will most likely end up as Chosen whenever I manage to get them painted. Or they could be used as more ornate berzerkers. For now, though, the fact that they are more detailed and ornate than your run-of-the-mill zerker makes them a rather nice fit for the 4th assault company's elite corps, known as the Sons of Cron:

What Kits did you use to make the Champion? Particularly the Chest Shoulder Pads and Head?

Not KSci, but I can tell you that the chest is the Mighty Skullcrushers, left pad is Chaos Knights and I think the right is Mighty Skullcrushers or Chaos Knights, both kits are from Age of Sigmar. Unsure on the head though.

Cheers for the feedback, everyone! :smile.:

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Unfortunately enough, that skull wasn't part of the stock model but had to be painstakingly carved off a Blood Warrior shoulder pad :wink:

@ ElDuderino: Cheers, mate! As for Blackstone Fortress, I absolutely love those models -- in fact, Blackstone Fortress might even trump Kill Team Rogue Trader (due to the presence of Traitor Guard and CSM, obviously :wink: ).

@ Gederas & k0nahrik: I already answered Brother Eleysium's question via PM, but even so, you've correctly guessed all of the parts between yourselves. Kudos for that! :wink:

So, back to the topic at hand, eh? :wink:

I haven't had much hobby time recently, but I tried to make it count. And I was able to mostly finish the paintjob on Chibi-Knight version 2.0. So let's take a look:

Once again, just to remind you, here's the big version again:

chaos-knight-gilgamesh-the-warrior-king-

And here’s what I have right now:

nu-chibi-knight-pip-22.jpg

nu-chibi-knight-pip-20.jpg

nu-chibi-knight-pip-25.jpg

nu-chibi-knight-pip-21.jpg

nu-chibi-knight-pip-23.jpg

Pretty close, wouldn’t you agree?

As for Baron Harrowthorne and the cockpit, I had to give the area another small round of tweaks, of course:

So, once again, let’s start with the bigger version:

And here’s the Chibi-Baron:

nu-chibi-knight-pip-28.jpg

nu-chibi-knight-pip-27.jpg

Since there is so very little actual detail on the pilot, I’ve had to use the paintjob to suggest detail were none extists, and to create an evocation, for lack of a better word, of the much bigger, more detailed 28mm pilot. I am pretty happy with the outcome, though — if you take a closer look you can even see the glowing buttons on the control panel:

nu-chibi-knight-pip-29.jpg

And here’s another comparison picture with my earlier Chibi-Knight kitbash:

nu-chibi-knight-pip-24.jpg

So a few very minor tweaks notwithstanding, the new Chibi Knight is basically finished at this point — except for the basing, that is, and I do have a rather nifty plan for that. Let’s hope it works out!

As always, let me know what you think! :smile.:

nu-chibi-knight-pip-26.jpg

Edited by KrautScientist

Man, I don’t even know where to begin here...

I’ve been following your work from the sidelines for years, but only recently sat down and tried to push through your thread. Guys like yourself, Augustus and DuskRaider for example, your threads are SO MASSIVE (!) it takes so long pouring through it all

Your conversions are just out of this world! And I truly appreciate the amount of photos and breakdowns of your work. WE and Khorne have been a huge temptation for years, and it’s so hard not seeing your models and having my brain start pondering ideas it shouldn’t be.

Now that I’m caught up, I’m going to try and stay on top of your thread. I’m looking forward to what’s next!

Cheers for the feedback, everyone! :)

@ Pearson73: Thanks! :)

@ Greenz: Aw, man, that is so nice of you to say! I realise that long and rambling logs like this must seem intimitading and maybe not worth the bother, but I am fairly certain there's a bit of inspiration to be found, and I appreciate you going through the trouble of trying to read through it all ;)

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Working on the base right now, so there should be an update soon!

@ DuskRaider: Not right now, no. Mostly because I find AT less exciting than Kill Team Rogue Trader or Blackstone Fortress, for instance. The focus on huge, almost Knight-like Warlords also throws me off a bit. That being said, I will surely be completing the other two Knights from the box as well, one as a proud and colourful loyalist, the other might become a smaller version of Augustus's recent Knight? I quite like his colour scheme, so it's an interesting option...

Okay, so regarding the base for my Chibi-Knight:

The objective with this entire model was to match the bigger version as closely as possible, and this extended to the base, of course. So for starters, check out the base of the bigger version of Gilgamesh:

chaos-knight-base-2.jpg

As you can see, I used some pieces from the Space Marine statue from the Honoured Imperium terrain kit to represent fallen Imperial monuments, and I really wanted to recreate that look -- and it seemed that fate was very much on my side...

I actually realised a long time ago that the aforementioned statue seems to have been created mostly by upscaling existing Space Marine bitz: If you take a closer look, many of the parts of the statue seem to consist of bigger versions of plastic bitz from the company champion that comes as part of the old Space Marine command squad box (incidentally, I am pretty sure the statue's cape is an upscaled chaos warrior cape, but that's beside the point). And I actually discovered a while ago that GW used a face very similar - if not identical - to the statue's face for different kits as well. So it didn't take much work to collect the pieces that would allow for a very close recreation of my original design for the base. Take a look:

nu-chibi-knight-base-wip-1.jpg

The shield on the left is pretty much the exact same shield also worn by the Honoured Imperium statue. It came from the aforementioned Space Marine command squad kit. The sword is from a plastic Terminator -- I'll admit the company champion's sword would have been a better fit from a visual standpoint, but the Terminator sword worked better due to its size and proportions. And the head on the right is a piece of a broken Imperial monument from the WFB/AoS giant.

So I used these parts (or rather, copies of these parts) to create a setup that was fairly similar to the original base:

nu-chibi-knight-base-wip-2.jpg

Now I had to improvise a bit, due to the bigger Knight's base having an oval shape (and hence more room), but I think the setup worked out pretty well. I also chose to have the head in an upright pose this time around -- something I should have done on the bigger base as well.

So here's the base after undercoating...

nu-chibi-knight-base-wip-3.jpg

...and with the Knight provisionally placed on top:

nu-chibi-knight-base-wip-4.jpg

And here's the finished base, painted to fit the bigger version:

nu-chibi-knight-base-wip-6.jpg

nu-chibi-knight-base-wip-7.jpg

And a small teaser of the finished model:

chibi-knight-teaser.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

Once again Brother Kraut, you inspire me:yes: I haven't tackled any of the Titanicus models yet, but plan on collecting a Maniple in the near future..... but, was concerned about what level of detail painting I could do:ermm: ….. clearly, a good high level of detail is possible. Thanks again for sharing your talent with us..... first rate work:thumbsup:

Cheers, guys! :)

@ Brother Lunkhead: Well, I'd say there's little need to worry: If the detail level on those Knights is anything to go by, then the detail level on the AT models should basically be off the charts: With the Knights, it's almost ridiculous to what extent they reproduce the details of the bigger version. At the same time, they are fun to paint - a bit fiddly here and there, but nothing too challenging.

Hmm, I don't know, it just seems more organic to have it sitting at least semi-upright: The positioning on the bigger base strikes me as slightly haphazard and incidental in hindsight -- mostly due to the fact that I hadn't worked with that kind of idea back when I originally built that base. Plus the smaller version came with a part of the shoulders still intact, so that made it easier to change the placement around a bit. Anyway, if I were to build the big base again today, I think I'd sculpt the suggestion of a neck/shoulder area on the base, then place the head atop it in a semi-upright position.

Cheers, noigrim! :)

So with the new Chibi-Gilgamesh version 2.0 finished, here are some proper new photos to celebrate the occasion:

Before we begin, once again, the big version for the sake of comparison:

And without further ado, I give you:

Chibi-Gilgamesh version 2.0

chibi-gilgamesh-version-2-13.jpg

chibi-gilgamesh-version-2-12.jpg

chibi-gilgamesh-version-2-1.jpg

chibi-gilgamesh-version-2-11.jpg

chibi-gilgamesh-version-2-5.jpg

chibi-gilgamesh-version-2-2.jpg

chibi-gilgamesh-version-2-7.jpg

chibi-gilgamesh-version-2-6.jpg

chibi-gilgamesh-version-2-4.jpg

I am actually really happy with the way the model has turned out. I may have had to compromise a bit here and there because a couple of visual touches from the bigger model just couldn’t be reproduced at the smaller scale (at least not without ending up looking extremely goofy, that is), but you can still tell at a glance that this is supposed to be Gilgamesh at a smaller scale, wouldn’t you agree?

And there’s also my favourite part about this project, the somewhat harebrained, yet ultimately successful, scheme of adding a fully sculpted interior and pilot to a Knight at the Adeptus Titanicus scale. Check out the bigger version of Baron Harrowthorne again:

And here's the chibi-version:

chibi-gilgamesh-version-2-8.jpg

chibi-gilgamesh-version-2-9.jpg

chibi-gilgamesh-version-2-10.jpg

And now that the new model has been finished, here’s another comparison shot with its predecessor:

chibi-knights.jpg

As I’ve said before, I really like how the older Chibi-Knight seems to represent the somewhat clunkier vintage Epic 40k design, while the new model fits the sleeker, more faithful designs from the new Adeptus Titanicus.

That’s not quite all, though. Because with the model finished, it was of course time to trot out the actual 28mm Gilgamesh in order to find out how well the new Chibi-Knight stands up to the big guy.

well,…

chibi-gilgamesh-version-2-15.jpg

chibi-knight-comparison-2.jpg

chibi-knight-comparison-5.jpg

I think there’s definitely quite a bit of family resemblance, wouldn’t you agree?

Having managed to closely recreate the base also makes me stupidly happy, to be honest ;)

chibi-knight-comparison-3.jpg

As always, let me know what you think! :)

chibi-knight-comparison-1.jpg

AWWWWWW!!!!

....is all I can say. It's just such a cute and lovely project - a labour of love if ever I've seen one!

One tiny detail - perhaps you like to add a dab of blue in the middle of the WE symbol on his shield - to reflect the original better!?

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Thanks a lot, guys! I'm really thankful that the two of you have something to say, at least!

@ Auggs: I did think about it long and hard, buddy, but that decal is so positively tiny that it would be reeeeally easy to ruin everything if I don't get that spot of turquoise in the exact right spot -- not quite sure I am willing to take the plunge, honestly... ;)