Skrundles Chaos Kitbashes :- khorne daemon centaur

Skrundle87

The latest update is looking great! As for which kit to buy, maybe I can help you narrow it down by assessing their usefulness from my point of view:

The chariot kit...

- will give you the horns you need (three pairs, in fact)

- has two infantry models: one chaos lord and one charioteer. Both are nicely sculpted, although the chaos lord seems a bit cartoony

- has quite a few long chains, which is always a nice resource for a chaos converter ;)

- comes with dedicated heads for each of the four gods, most of them really cool

- the bloodbeast makes for a great chaos spawn model

- the chariot itself might work as a bike sidecar, sentinel-like cockpit or something similar

- the horses are basically surplus to requirements

The warshrine kit...

- will, once again, provide the horns you need

- several of the warshrine pieces might be useful as armour for the Knight (that's why I bought it, mostly)

- the huge icon would make a great mission objective/chaos shrine/decoration for a Word Bearers tank/...

- the two mutants would work great as chaos spawn, mind-scrubbed gun servitors (--> Obliterators), traitor Ogryns or something similar

- the warhsrine priest could be a traitor guard commander, counts as Dark Apostle or even be used in a conversion of a bare chested, monstrous Astartes (just replace the legs with some Termie legs, and you're there) and comes with one of the coolest bare heads around, IMO. The alternate head, sword and axe are pretty nice as well

- you get a pretty cool lectern with a chaotic tome on top (once again, material for a mission objective, Word Bearer's decoratoion or the like).

Ultimately, both provide pretty good value for the money. And both are more interesting as bitz drops than as actual kits, if you ask me ;)

Anyway, hope this helps! :)

The latest update is looking great! As for which kit to buy, maybe I can help you narrow it down by assessing their usefulness from my point of view:

The chariot kit...

- will give you the horns you need (three pairs, in fact)

- has two infantry models: one chaos lord and one charioteer. Both are nicely sculpted, although the chaos lord seems a bit cartoony

- has quite a few long chains, which is always a nice resource for a chaos converter ;)

- comes with dedicated heads for each of the four gods, most of them really cool

- the bloodbeast makes for a great chaos spawn model

- the chariot itself might work as a bike sidecar, sentinel-like cockpit or something similar

- the horses are basically surplus to requirements

The warshrine kit...

- will, once again, provide the horns you need

- several of the warshrine pieces might be useful as armour for the Knight (that's why I bought it, mostly)

- the huge icon would make a great mission objective/chaos shrine/decoration for a Word Bearers tank/...

- the two mutants would work great as chaos spawn, mind-scrubbed gun servitors (--> Obliterators), traitor Ogryns or something similar

- the warhsrine priest could be a traitor guard commander, counts as Dark Apostle or even be used in a conversion of a bare chested, monstrous Astartes (just replace the legs with some Termie legs, and you're there) and comes with one of the coolest bare heads around, IMO. The alternate head, sword and axe are pretty nice as well

- you get a pretty cool lectern with a chaotic tome on top (once again, material for a mission objective, Word Bearer's decoratoion or the like).

Ultimately, both provide pretty good value for the money. And both are more interesting as bitz drops than as actual kits, if you ask me ;)

Anyway, hope this helps! :)

Thanks heaps, I think I will be more inclined to buy the shrine, as much as I'd like the gorebast over the troll looking critters. I think the sheer amount of usefull armour plates and such from the shrine will work out much better, I do really like the idea of a bare chested termie,(like what you have already done) is the chara ter in the shrine kit actually big enough for that? In the end I'll most likely end up buying both as I was unaware of the multiple legion specific heads the chariot offers. And they always come in handy haha, can never have too many bits hey

Regarding the bare chested Termie, I think the warshrine priest would work. Here's a small comparison photo for you:

http://eternalhunt.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/comparison01.jpg

If I were to do a plastic version of my Vorld Dustwalker conversion, this is pretty much the route I'd take msn-wink.gif

Looks great so far - you're a braver man than me slicing up a $140+ kit, but the Soul Grinder bits fit really well.

Something a Dakka-user named Tinfoil does is melt away parts of models with a soldering iron or hot knife, then adds his fleshy GS tentacles and bits... seriously, go look if you haven't already http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/450/211100.page

I mention this because the top 'hunchback' piece is more sitting on - rather than bursting out of - the armour carapace.

Not that it doesn't look good as is - with the right paint job, it'll look as if the armour morphs to flesh...

It *might* msn-wink.gif look better if you cut then melted out the armour, have the flesh going in under melted edges, that kind of thing.

I must add - KrautScientist, I am in awe of your bitz knowledge!

First of all thanks heaps for the nice words

Lamby, I definately would prefer it to appear to be bursting out rather than growing into the armour, I will definately have a look, cheers, I may even attempt to make broken armour from greenstuff

Devolver, that Lord looks awesome definately making one of them with the priest

First of all thanks heaps for the nice words

Lamby, I definately would prefer it to appear to be bursting out rather than growing into the armour, I will definately have a look, cheers, I may even attempt to make broken armour from greenstuff

Devolver, that Lord looks awesome definately making one of them with the priest

Skrundle, I think you'll find making armour edges with GS to be a pain.

Two ideas come to mind:

1 - Use plastic card to make your edges around the existing Soul Grinder bit - if you're careful, you can hide the glued edges - I'd probably carefully drill and pin each section of broken armour into place...

2 - My preference really though, would be to trace a line around the fleshy bit where it currently sits, remove it, drill holes all around the carapace a few mm inside the traced line and pop that bit out. Then melt some edges (hold the model upside down while you do it so it melts 'up'), maybe score and bend some others carefully, get a good random, looking effect - like a bomb has gone off inside basically. Then make a support structure for the Soul Grinder back (probably sprue), glue it into the hole so it's level with the actual carapace (so the flesh isn't too deep in the hole) and the glue and GS the flesh onto it - this is based on a guess (as I haven't held a Knight yet, just seen pics) that once the whole this is glued together, you won't see the support structure?

Anyways, ramble over - whatever you do I look forward to seeing it completed!

Awesome work mate!

The more I look and think about this back bit the more I'm unhappy with it. I tacked on some cabling to try to make me happy and that didn't work, I put on the handles and such see if them on made it look better, that didn't work, all I can see when I look at it is like a whale surfacing or something stupid haha

I really did want it to be growing out of the inside not on top it's made it too hunched

Watch this space, tonight I'll be pullring the back off and trying again

Truly excellent work! I'll be honest, I would have counseled against this approach, simply for fear of ruining a fairly hard to get bit, but you really nailed it -- and showed much more courage than I have, that much is certain ;) Cheers to lamby as well, for suggesting the craziness in the first place! :)

That's what I'm talking about!

Looked great before, looks awesome now!

Are you going to add more cables and/or tentacles slinking out and across and maybe even back into the armour?

Archived