The Bonds of Brotherhood (update: Moritat)

Larkyn

Well, here we go:

Twenty-six years into the Great Crusade:

The Storm Eagle gunship plowed through the upper atmosphere, shaking and juddering the whole time. It was followed by seven more of its kind, and four of the new Fire Raptor gunships, all painted in the Legion's newly acquired colours, orange and blue. This was their first engagement after being honoured with a name and colours, rather than just a numeral and the storm cloud grey ceramite.
Nestled within his drop harness, Legionary Lukas Ghent fidgeted. This was his first assignment as a full Legionary, and he was damn proud to be here. But that wouldn't stop him from feeling nervous. Even as an Astartes, a fully-fledged Legiones Astartes warrior, built to withstand wounds that would kill a mortal man outright, going to war the first time was overwhelming.
He checked over his weapons for probably the tenth time since entering the gunship. Bolter mag-clamped to the right thigh of his armour, pistol holstered on his left thigh, combat blade secured behind his right shoulder. Extra magazines for his bolter secured around his waistline. He was as prepared as he was ever going to be.
Across the bay from him was his squad leader, Sergeant Bann Dakari. His crested helm glanced over towards Lukas, and nodded, a reassuring gesture from the grizzled veteran. Lukas dipped his own helmed head in return, the topknot swaying as he did so.
It was a custom for all new XI Legionaries to wear a topknot until they made fifty kills. Fighting against orks these past few years, that was made very easy. It was said that Sergeant Dakari had made that number ten times over already.
They were XIII Company, an Air Assault unit from II Battalion, V Chapter. Twelve aircraft, and almost two hundred Astartes. The XI Legion, or Imperial Blades as they were known as now, were an almost completely Airborne/Air Assault Legion. They were the test subjects for the Storm Eagle, Fire Raptor, Storm Talon, and many other types of aircraft that the Mechanicum was producing.
Lukas stared at the count-down timer in his helmet display, less than five minutes until they would reach their destination. Upon arrival, his squad was to assault the eastern wall of the half-arsed fortress the orks were using. The "fortress", if it could even be called that, was little more than scrap metal, welded haphazardly into something that might keep flies away, but would collapse under the might of a Legiones Astartes strike force.
Within moments of entering range of the anti-aircraft guns of the beasts, they were being buffeted by hard rounds and occasional rockets. While the average ork was a poor shot at the very best, give one a weapon that spat hundreds of rounds in just a few moments, and it was bound to hit something. Eventually. The reinforced armour of the Storm Eagles soaked up this hailstorm like it was nothing.
Bolt shells and rockets answered the orks. Vengeance launchers spat deadly fragmenting warheads, slaying orks by the dozen, and a Tempest rocket flew at an AA gun, detonating it with a small mushroom cloud.
The Storm Eagles began to find room for landing zones, while the Fire Raptors continued to strafe the bulwarks, pulping the beasts with bolt shell and lasfire. Amidst the chaotic din of combat, Lukas Ghent disembarked his gunship with bolter raised, panning, searching for targets within range. They had put down a few hundred meters from the eastern rim of the bastion. They were taking incidental fire, close, but not enough to be concerned. The rare occasional shot that did hit power armour, was merely deflected away.
Sprinting along the desert floor, First Squad moved at haste, Sergeant Dakari front and center, urging his troops on with sword drawn. Three hundred meters became two hundred, then one hundred. Bolters were firing now, blasting the orks at the rampart section.
And then they were on them. At fifty meters, Sergeant Dakari ordered bolters away, and blades and pistols out. Some of the squad had chainswords, most drew their combat blades.
"For the Emperor and the Eleventh Son!" they yelled as a squad, and jumped over the revetments of the ramparts...

To be continued...

Colour Scheme of the XI Legion (just a test model):

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss32/Hellghast/DSCN1573_zpsc2532a15.jpg

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss32/Hellghast/DSCN1571_zps1f7dc7ab.jpg

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss32/Hellghast/DSCN1572_zps5c265b6e.jpg

Sergeant Bann Dakari:

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss32/Hellghast/DSCN1576_zpsdbe357e0.jpg

Legionary Lukas Ghent:

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss32/Hellghast/DSCN1575_zps7c3d9059.jpg

Sergeant Dakari and Legionary Ghent:

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss32/Hellghast/DSCN1577_zps5d4788f9.jpg

Legionary Ghent of the XI Legion, and later on, Legionary Ghent of the VIII Legion (formerly XI):

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss32/Hellghast/DSCN1578_zps5278741b.jpg

I like the XI brother, the orange came out very nicely. The XI freehand on his chest could do with a little tidying up, but other then that it looks great! I like the lost legions projects that have been going on here on B&C.

This project is in limbo at the moment. I just had a huge falling out with my only friend that plays 30k, so I'm not sure if I want to continue spending time and money working on these armies that will probably not see any more gametime.

Which is sad, as I was really looking forward to seeing these on the table.

That's a real shame man, but I understand, No one near me plays 30k. That doesn't mean you cant still model an army for your own enjoyment. stick with it, if you have a great looking 30k army, it might just inspire other people in your gaming circle to start 30k!

Well, the good thing is, I still have a Realm of Battle of my own to finish. So, I'll just have to play with myself.

VIII vs XI, who will win?

When you play with yourself, you always win XD

Oh, just wait until you see the rest of the squad, Flint. Not quite as awesome, as he's the squad leader, but they all have their stupid feet planted on stuff. Certainly adds some heignt to the army.

Still, if they're all as badass as the sergeant? Totally looking forward to that business.

I'm seriously struggling to find a use for my Nightraptors. I've used a few of the weapons for conversions, but they're so unique, it's hard to use their parts anywhere else. 

Archived