++ The Murderers' Call - A Night Lords Community ++

Flint13

brothers and sisters i'm in need of advice.

i'm looking for a combat familiar for my warbands captain:

gallery_54817_5140_151755.jpg

i've looked through my own and some friends bitz boxes, but i didn't find anything suitable.

do any of you have a suggestion for me?

A Vampire Counts Dire Wolf...I don't know why but that called to me

I just saw those pictures Augustus those are amazing. Also just saw your warhound and it looks amazing keep up the great work also you have me some ideas for my own night lords. So my friends soon to be my enemies as you lay on on the ground with a knife in your backs I have questions regarding night lords because well I don't know all that much about them.

1: how many companies did they have? I was wondering because I'm doing my fluff right now and it seems like 1-100 is taken.

2: night lords names: it seems their way of naming is very irregular I was thinking of taking names from the dunmer of the elder scrolls series. Was their any culture they follow or influenced by?

3: painting: I'd like to go with the dark blue method I was thinking vallejo night blue with nylon oil wash or should I use drakenhof wash instead? I was going for a blue similar to this: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/8/88/Nightlords_in_combatpg12.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130325104147

4: cool helmets: anyone know any cool looking helmets for captians?

5: would it be better to get conquest or massacre for night lords fluff?

6: so I have $42 as club credit at my local gaming store unfortunatly I can't spend on forgeworld so I was thinking of getting a chaos space marine choice. Anyone know a good choice to choose? I was thinking maybe a chaos space marine squad but they look kinda dated.

7: does anyone know any good place for cool conversion bits? I was thinking of using some dark eldar or dark elfs but does anyone know of any third party bits?

And I would like to thank you all for the wonderful community! Happy hunting!

I just saw those pictures Augustus those are amazing. Also just saw your warhound and it looks amazing keep up the great work also you have me some ideas for my own night lords. So my friends soon to be my enemies as you lay on on the ground with a knife in your backs I have questions regarding night lords because well I don't know all that much about them.

1: how many companies did they have? I was wondering because I'm doing my fluff right now and it seems like 1-100 is taken.

2: night lords names: it seems their way of naming is very irregular I was thinking of taking names from the dunmer of the elder scrolls series. Was their any culture they follow or influenced by?

3: painting: I'd like to go with the dark blue method I was thinking vallejo night blue with nylon oil wash or should I use drakenhof wash instead? I was going for a blue similar to this: http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/8/88/Nightlords_in_combatpg12.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130325104147

6: so I have $42 as club credit at my local gaming store unfortunatly I can't spend on forgeworld so I was thinking of getting a chaos space marine choice. Anyone know a good choice to choose? I was thinking maybe a chaos space marine squad but they look kinda dated.

7: does anyone know any good place for cool conversion bits? I was thinking of using some dark eldar or dark elfs but does anyone know of any third party bits?

Okay let's try and knock these off.

1) Unconfirmed. The Night Lords were far less sticklers for rank and position than a more regimented Legion like the Ultramarines. There's also no fixed limit on company size. You could probably go as low as 50 and as high as 350-400 depending on who was leading it and whether he could count on the allegiance of other captains.

2) There's nothing really cultural that forms their basis per say. The only real-world reference that could be drawn would be towards things like the mafia and the traditions/actions of other facets of organised crime. Nostromo was pretty much The Godfather on a planetary scale. Names wise, anything goes. Although Nostraman as a language is full of sibilance and flowing words, that isn't really reflected in it's naming conventions. Pick ones you like and run with them.

3) I use Valejo Night Blue on mine and I'm perfectly happy with how it turns out. I use a mixture of Drakenhof/Nuln Oil/Druichii Violet to wash it and it brings out more depth to the colour I've found.

4) Forgeworld Terror Squad Heads. Pack of 10 skull helms. Easy.

5) Massacre is mandatory for Night Lords Fluff. It's pretty much the best resource around atm. Conquest barely scratches the Night Lords and doesn't really add anything that's not covered in the Black Library series. If you want to play Legion Night Lords, you'll need either Betrayal as well or the Crusade Legion Army list. I'd take the latter as it has everything generic from the first 3 volumes in there.

6) I dislike the vast majority of the Chaos Space Marine range both models and rules (hence my dive headlong into 30k) so can't really offer an unbiased opinion on this one.

7) Secret Weapon Miniatures are your friend. Sack of skulls and corpse parts are perfect for everything VIII Legion. It's pretty easy to sculpt flayed flesh with green stuff (there's plenty of guides within this unholy halls and across the other forums too). Anvil Industries offer some decent pieces like loinclothes/capes/weapons but most importantly of all the Night Lords unique weapon, the chainglaive.

Hope that all helps :)

1. Bit of a clarification, page 99 of Massacre actually has their disposition pre-Isstvan as a 90-120k sized Legion divided up into Companies of 100 to 1,000 Marines, that will irregularly and temporarily form together into Battalions or Chapters.

For #2, I say just go for it. No reason why you can't say these are Terran, the other side Nostramo, or an entirely different world altogether, if the namesare too far from mainstream Night Lords.

brothers and sisters i'm in need of advice.

i'm looking for a combat familiar for my warbands captain:

gallery_54817_5140_151755.jpg

i've looked through my own and some friends bitz boxes, but i didn't find anything suitable.

do any of you have a suggestion for me?

How about one of the Barghest fiends from puppetswar? I'm currently assembling them as spawn, but they might as well be combat familiars. Awesome warlord btw. :tu:

Well done to Augustus his First Claw is worthy of fame.

@Wicced

Something winged with minor augmentation. A little gargoyle esc bat or maybe an evil looking hawk.

Cheers Noctem Cultor. For those of you who haven't seen it yet, ADB featured my First Claw rendition yesterday. A pretty awesome honour, that I must admit feels pretty awesome, humbling, and amazing.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/ADBs%20First%20Claw%20by%20Augustus%20bRaass_zpsxssu6y7r.png

Balthamal answered pretty much everything I would have, so I can only add my two cents and concur with most of what he said.

1: Originally between 100 and 120. But who cares?

2: Go for what sounds cool. Three are no conventions.

3: Go for Vallejo insignia Blue. It's even darker. Well worth the wait, and you can use Prussian Blue as a highlight.

4: the FW raptors offer awesome ceremonial helmets. The GW NL helmets are outdated and look silly, but you could use the wings on 'm for converting NL symbols on vehicles. The best option is indeed the FW terror squad helmets.

5: That's a total no-brainer. Massacre.

6: The raptors is a great start, but I'd suggest using it as a conversion bits source, as raptors aren't that good in the game and if given the choice you should always, always, ALWAYS go for bikers (bikers fill the same FA slot, have the same or better stats (T5!), have Jink (5++ save for when you're in a pinch), have Relentless (and can thus shoot their rapid firing plasma guns and still assault), and always give a Hammer of Wrath attack, instead of only when you jump-assault with the raptors' jump packs (so practically never), all that for only a 3 points price increase). If you're looking for normal infantry, I'd suggest buying one box of CSM and one box of the new tactical squad, and mixing those kits up.

7: the WHFB Vampire Counts Grave guard unit is your friend.

Here are some test models using using spare GK models that I have

photo 1 (2)

photo 2

I used 3-5 coats of Guiliman Blue Glaze over the silver. I like how the blue turned out, though i'm trying to find the right colour for the trims. When i tried using ironbreaker, it was too silver, I'd like to give it a bit of a bronze-ish tint similar to the ones seen in the forgeworld painted models. 

Another issue i'm seeing is whereabouts to insert elements of Red in there. Do you guys have any suggestions?

is it just me or does anybody else have about half dozen figures needing few final touches put to them...

Always. I'm a perfectionist which makes painting a pain for me.

Did the night lords have good standings with the mechanicum? The only mechanicus person to work with the night lords from my knowledge is deltrain. I have a tech marine and I want to try out the color scheme on him and a thunderfire cannon I have. Also could the thunderfire make a good quad mortar rapier?

Sad to know that raptors aren't all that. I might purchase a chaos space marine box off of ebay and combine them. That or see if I have enough bits from a tactical squad and combine them. don't know if I can include them for the heresy due to mutation of the armor.

Well, raptors can fly over terrain, which is their bonus as opposed to bikers. So in a dense terrain game, they might be better....

But, I most definitely didn't say they "aren't all that". I don't favour them as a gamer, but from a chaos space marine modeler's pov, I say they are practically mandatory! They're an awesome buy in that regard. :tu:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

is it just me or does anybody else have about half dozen figures needing few final touches put to them...

Always. I'm a perfectionist which makes painting a pain for me.

Did the night lords have good standings with the mechanicum? The only mechanicus person to work with the night lords from my knowledge is deltrain. I have a tech marine and I want to try out the color scheme on him and a thunderfire cannon I have. Also could the thunderfire make a good quad mortar rapier?

Sad to know that raptors aren't all that. I might purchase a chaos space marine box off of ebay and combine them. That or see if I have enough bits from a tactical squad and combine them. don't know if I can include them for the heresy due to mutation of the armor.

Well, they did have a Titan Legio traveling with them and the fact they were able to cut ties with the Imperium for twenty years would almost argue that they had enough of a Mechanicum presence to be self-sufficient. So it couldn't have been that bad. Especially since(when it existed) Nostramo was a major source of adamantium.

@Thatonemarshal

What Night Lords don't have they steal... so probably not, it is known that the Legion is degrading and has been on the decline since the death of Night Haunter. (Though B+C's members suggest otherwise :wink: )

Also on the Raptor debate, the kit is worth having alone just to mix bits into other non Raptor Units. Very Little Chaos icons that need removing or can't be avoided/covered. It is perhaps the best CSM kit out at the moment in my personal opinion.

So with the Khorne Daemonkin Codex is anyone allowing for the hope a Night Lords Legion Codex may be something to look forward to? Blood Tithe Points could easily become Fear Points for us with cool demoralising abilities.

**edit**

I still consider myself a Night Lord just to confuse everyone that knows I have no more NL miniatures :tongue.:

Edited by Noctem Cultor

just posted my first piece of fluff for my warband in my thread.

i fell kinda giddy and i hope my murderous brothers and sisters like it:wink:

Edited by Wicced

@Thatonemarshal

So with the Khorne Daemonkin Codex is anyone allowing for the hope a Night Lords Legion Codex may be something to look forward to? Blood Tithe Points could easily become Fear Points for us with cool demoralising abilities.

No, not at all. With GW's randomness, we're not even sure if all four gods will get their own expansion (I do not consider those lame-ass books to be codices, €44 for zero new units, some new wargear and some formations is an absolute rip-off. I pre-ordered the Black Legion book and was so, so disappointed that I didn't pick up the Red Corsairs one either.) and the current codex is specifically written so that you can field an army with VotLW, ie Night Lords and the like, rules wise.