++ The Murderers' Call - A Night Lords Community ++

Flint13

What is a Night Lord?

An incarnation of Fear, without pity or remorse for those he deems beneath him, including prey and mortals. He is the ultimate weapon of shock and awe, and of Terror. He is willing to do what is nessessary to secure his objective, as long as he survives to see it done. ;)

There has to be a psych eval in there somewhere.

Honestly I'd really love to read through a proper psychological evaluation of the Primarchs and other significant characters.

It'd also be fascinating to see the Psychologist study the homeworld's society, predict how it would shape a person and then compare that to the appropriate Primarch to see how they differ...

http://media1.giphy.com/media/a5viI92PAF89q/200w.gif

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

Honestly I'd really love to read through a proper psychological evaluation of the Primarchs and other significant characters.

It'd also be fascinating to see the Psychologist study the homeworld's society, predict how it would shape a person and then compare that to the appropriate Primarch to see how they differ...

http://media1.giphy.com/media/a5viI92PAF89q/200w.gif

There's a thread over in the Age of Darkness forum that goes into a large amount of detail on that very subject

It'd also be fascinating to see the Psychologist study the homeworld's society, predict how it would shape a person and then compare that to the appropriate Primarch to see how they differ...http://media1.giphy.com/media/a5viI92PAF89q/200w.gif

I WILL NOT MIX WORK AND PLAY, I WILL NOT MIX WORK AND PLAY, I WILL NOT....

On a more serious note, I actually tried to find someone to sponsor a paper on the biochemical and genetically aspects regarding the psychological outlook of Astartes, based on the old fluff. Sadly, Medstudents are not really allowed a choice in their MD papers and there was little interest in the theoretical work on sci fi child super soldiers....then again this was before the CDC published work on zombie outbreaks...:)

I would actually find it a hard to do a psych evaluation on an Astartes. We have so little real data on the societies and cultures that influences them as children.

Keep in mind how radically different our cultures are on our little planet. And while the basic human genetic make up inprints certain basic traits ( as far as our current research shows ) these are modulated by experiences and cultures.

Even assuming that the basic human traits and genome remains somewhat stable to M30 and beyond ( which is unlikely but let's assume that the Emperor keeps genetic drift low and keeps mutation and abhuman traits low in his great plan to create an Imperium of Man ) it would be pure guess work what the Astartes process changes infers into body and mind of aspirants.

As I have said in other threads, we have little theoretical ideas what a transhumance mind would be like - which vexes me when Astartes act like run of the milk action flick soldiers some novels....

A psych evaluation on a Primarch, who isn't even human to begin with.... That would be indeed an interesting and daunting task....

closer to home, it would require an in depth info on Nostraman culture ...at least the culture where the Night Haunter grew up. we only have shards. I would not consider an evaluation of a western boy growing up after being stranded in Hong Kong with only the Wikipedia overview of Kowloon at my disposal after all.

That's my 2p in short.

(Oh, if there are any board members actually thinking of doing a paper / feature, do feel free to PM me. I would love to contribute to an article on Space Marines published in the Lancet just for the heck of it :) )

You would be surprised at the things you find in medical journals. There was an article once on post mortem brain activity in a dead salmon. That is more along the Mechanicum lines but you never know when a salmon servitor might come in handy...

Also, MedSchool does teach some handy skinning techniques... Along with knowledge of squishy parts anatomy...

Salmon servivtor... If we can flay their bodies and gouge out their eyeballs I'm all for it!

Also @augustess when I said all that bad use of words on my part. I meant that they were basically overshadowed by bikes I mean along with all of the things that you listed that they gain for 3 points it's hard to compete with the ability to be T 6. I unfortunatly don't play on really heavy Terrain boards and deepstrikijg is too risky. I meant just build them as raptors anyway I don't really see myself getting a lot from games workshop. Forgeworld on the other hand....

I've been eggxperimenting with skinning.

A long time ago I used papier mache (tissue and wood glue) with some WFB models. The advantage of this is that it starts with a very fine layer and builds up layer by layer to the final shape. The disadvantage is that it is very messy and the final shape might differ from that intended.

For banners, cloaks and tabards, I have been rolling Green Stuff as thin as I can between baking paper. The limit on going thin appears to be determined by the need to peel it off the baking paper as there is a limit to it's "non-stick" properties. But it can be layered up, and gets a good texture and shape from the modelling tools.

My examples below show that I am a long way from Augustus's results. However, here is a comparison on which I seek your feedback.

First (RHS) with Green Stuff:

gallery_23461_1861_131967.jpg

Second (LHS) with tissue paper and wood glue:

gallery_23461_1861_160557.jpg

Please ignore the Rhino. It's just an eBay reclaim and repaint. I am sure that the Word Bearers haven't missed it yet.

gallery_23461_1861_162254.jpg

So comments please - is there any value in the papier mache build?

Edited by Psykic_scribe

It doesn't look too bad from a distance but up close it looks a little jarring. At least with green stuff you've got more control over the final shape/contours of whatever surface you're putting it on. To keep it from sticking, coat whatever is underneath the GS with either a little bit of oil or some vaseline. That way you won't need to scrap it off with the sharpest knife you can find when it's been sculpted

Bit of constructive criticism on the painting too, for the blood either use Blood for the Blood God to reflect a freshly harvested hide and keep the tone fairly light or go for a darker brown to reflect old dried blood and then paint the skin more yellowed and dirty to highlight the age.

Just my 2 pence

@Balthamal.  Thanks - worth more than tuppence  :biggrin.:.  The trial skins were knocked together in some haste.

On balance, I prefer the GS approach for a better "sculpt" when on the model.  The baking paper press works OK for GS banners and tabards, but a little oil as well would make a difference when going this thin. 

Once the GS is dry, would you wash it to remove the oil or count on the Base paint to mask it?

Once the GS is dry, would you wash it to remove the oil or count on the Base paint to mask it?

That's a no-brainer: the paint will never stick right on an oily surface - it's the very reason why you should always wash resin parts before gluing/painting them. Sure it'll 'mask' the oil, but that's pretty much all. One chip, on clunk, and an entire section of paint just falls right off. I once had to repaint an entire Lucius warhound for a buddy who didn't wash the resin. I can't tell you how many times I pulled inch-wide sections off the armour by -gently even- pulling off masking tape. My advice: safe yourself a lot of frustration and don't use oil at all when using greenstuff. Water will work fine, and simply evaporates over time.

So I'm making my first buy from forgeworld today... I can't figure out what armor mark I want. I honestly like all three. Was there a particular armor mark that night lords preferred? Is there an armor mark that looks better with the paint scheme for them? Also was there a particular terminator armor that they preferred? Edited by ThatOneMarshal

Well, the Terror Squads are based on MK4 plate and that does give you plenty of free space to practice lightning and trophies.

The color panels in HH2 are all of Cataphractii terminstor plate. I dunno if I've ever seen a Tartaros in midnight clad.