Wolves, Black Legion, Kill Team! Other WIP & Hobby Stuff

• 2 weeks later...

48869176932_48c4aa81f4_b.jpg

Wolfguard_BattleLeader Kratos by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr

Another primaris Wolfguard I did on a whim.  Kitbash of a Dark Imperium primaris.

The Space Wolf Forge World heads look like Kratos.

Edited by Surreal Cruelty

• 3 months later...

So I am slowly working on completing the Dark Imperium intercessors  I have had sitting around for awhile in various stages.  Been working on them off and on over the last few months, I am experimenting with mixing regular paints and contrast paints, so i am taking my time trying to figure out the best approach to the look I want (slate/stormy/blue-grey, but not too blue).  But the two pack leaders that have been done for a long time are getting complete squads.

49471485856_d5ee328e80_c.jpg20200201_012616

by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr

49471485791_a7bc727a05_c.jpg20200201_012620

by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr

The goal here is to have the two 5 man squads look similar enough that I could take the as one squad if needed.

49471485676_3a0dacf17a_c.jpg20200201_012703 by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr

I start some more work on some of my Black Legion as well, will have a couple status photos over the next couple of days as I have a back-log of miniatures to actually photograph.  Will also post some of my old stuff that never got photographed or dissipated into the warp with my old thread.

• 1 month later...

So I haven't been idle since posting the WIP of my intercessors, they are pretty much complete along with Haarken Worldclaimer.

49709257176_ba841f7b82_c.jpg

Blackmanes_Intcssr_Sq1-2-redres by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr

49709256421_b8a6eccf12_b.jpg

Haarkan_Worldclaimer_01-rr by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr

I also took some hopefully better pictures of Battle Leader Kratos

49709577512_105f1169d9_c.jpg

WGBL_Kratos_Final-rr by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr

As soon as a feel like mixing up with and messing with a batch of powdered glass, I will add some snow to all of their bases so they blend in with the rest of the army.

Also as promised here are some of my older models

49709577377_8e63e2fda8_z.jpg49709577997_8c3438622d_z.jpg

Zhufor the Impaler by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr     ConvKharn by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr

49709577967_848fe6ba79_z.jpg49709577477_3c99dbbec4_z.jpg

DarkApostle-Sorcerer by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr  WordBearerLord by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr

11523222655_b8c7f0eaab_z.jpg11523221865_fae27272bb_z.jpg

WB Lord Combi_Melta by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr  WB Lord Side by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr

49709578042_371e3581c0_c.jpg

BloodAngelVanguard by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr

I also took a picture of Ragnar that I painted pretty much the year the model came out, one of the few miniatures I have left from that far back.  I think I will post him along side the new model when I get him & have painted him.

So, the guy who brought Chaos the thunderhammer is finished. 

49748427142_f9681ae40f_z.jpg

Obsidious Mallex by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr

49748427157_52511c2b69_z.jpg

Obsidious Mallex Back by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr

He's pretty much a practice run for Abaddon, I think I am going to finish the terminators and a lord executioner first, and perhaps some more cultists/Servants of the Abyss, and then paint Abaddon.  Like my Ragnar model, I have had the metal model since its first release at the beginning of 2nd ed.  I had to strip it and re-paint it more recently do to damage from a house fire years ago, so I am looking to improve my skills on painting black a bit more before I paint him.  Also debating if I am going to use metallic paints or do NMM on his trim.  I do NMM for most of my wolves, but not my chaos marines, but I might want to go the extra mile for a center-peice.

This is assuming we don't come out of isolation sooner than June and I get my Saga of the Beast order.  My FLGS got the deliveries, but they had to close out of concern for health of the owner and much of his staff.

• 2 months later...

50052213606_8af3dc3c3f_b.jpgChaosTerminators_WIP by SurrealCruelty, on Flickr

Work in progress on my Chaos Terminators in varying degrees of completion, from mostly complete to glorious grey.  They will probably all end up with individual photos once completed.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Wow, been two years since I last posted.  Instead of more hobby time during the pandemic, I ended up working a lot and not really much time or motivation to do anything other than play video games for a couple of hours a night & occasionally spend money on box sets or models thinking I would get around to it eventually...

I spent a couple hours a night this week working on a model I got when it came out, thinking I was going to use it for a Fabius Bile conversion and use the axe for a conversion...then they released Bile, so I put that on hold.  Last week I decided to pick up a few extra parts elsewhere, and now have the Corpsemaster of the Red Corsairs.  Which I will probably run as a Master of Executions, or if I am feeling cocky, I can field him in a Kill Team as a proxy for the guy with the huge chain-axe.  This is pretty much the first thing I have painted since I finished the above Terminators and Mallex.

Corpsemaster WIP WRes

Haven't decided on a head for him yet, it's down to a selection of a couple of different ones from the Chaos Marines box, as I am really out of practice with sculpting and don't want to do an un-helmeted head...which would require sculpting long hair.  Though maybe the havoc champion head with the top-knot might work.

Going to be more to come, I have Warp Smith I will also paint up in Corsair colors, and may take one of the extra marine squads I have and paint them up as corsairs too.  I might actually do a Red Corsair kill team, and keep my main army Black Legion.  Though I have enough old chaos marines and vehicles already painted up as Corsairs, I can fill out an army if I want.  I'm also betting on a new Huron this year.  That huge power claw leak back at Christmas seems like that might be him.  He's the only chaos character other than Lucius in need of a new model at this point.

Now that my work situation has changed, decided to get back into the hobby, and I have a gigantic grey mountain to climb.  Plenty of time to do it, need to do a lot of clean up and organization of my workspace, especially to incorporate an airbrush station and other things, build some display shelves, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Corpsemaster of the Red Corsairs.  I am not 100% happy with the helmet, but it works for now.  I can change it any time since I have it held in place with a small amount of bluetack.  

The Corpsemaster [Final]

These are the WIP.  The first is going to be semi-magnetized and will be able to stand in for a Sorcerer, or possibly a Balefile adept after I decided to butcher a certain grey knight model.  I decided upon seeing Castellan Crowe, that I wanted that sword for a sorcerer, and when I saw the Balefire adept and I got an idea that it would work for both.  Going to magnetize the backpack in case the rumors are wrong and we can still take jump-packs for Sorcerers.

WIP Sorcerer/Balefire Adept

WIP Homage World Eater

A Red Corsairs Warpsmith, I probably would not be running him as Valthex (I think that might end up being my lord discordant).  In the case of this model, he needs some clean up now that I am looking at a photo of the mini, so still a WIP.  For now I am taking a break from this model, it was fairly frustrating to paint.  Mainly, I recommend if you paint this model, definitely leave everything as a sub assembly.  I left the powerpack back half off, but realize I should have also done both of the arms and the chest mechatendrils off as well.  The arms in particular get in the way of some hard to reach areas on the upper greaves of his power armor.

Corsairs Warpsmith

True WIP vs almost finished models! 

So, some things got changed, and I decided that I think I want a Kill Team that looks a bit more elite than just the standard operatives.  So, I am using my Chosen to make Legion Operatives.  Some of them anyway.  Haven't decided yet if I am going to paint my kill team as Black Legion or as Red Corsairs.  I have plans to do most of the Shadow Spear box as Red Corsairs (I think the Venom Crawler would look much more visually interesting in red and black vs. black and gold), so they might join them.

WIP Legion Operatives 2

I don't really like the "Deamon Blade" that comes with the Kill Team Upgrade sprue...sure, I like it as a power weapon, but it just doesn't really scream Daemon Weapon at me.  Just a fancy blade.  So, I pulled out some of my Blood Bound and decided that some of those weapons are exactly what I was looking for.

For my Anointed, I wanted to make him look a bit more than just a "little possessed."  I though the chosen with the spikes and horns and things rupturing out of his armor fit the bill.  Not a fan of the default head for the anointed, but there are plenty of other heads, helmeted and not, that I have laying around that will fit.

WIP Legion Operatives 2

Just the Shrive Talon and the Balefire Adept (his flaming hand got used for the model below)

Legion Heavy Gunner WIP

Legion Heavy Gunner, I am NOT a fan of the ammo feed.  :furious: :wallbash: :censored:
Would much rather had had a drum or dangling ammo belt on the model.  Has me completely re-thinking if I am going to equip my Havocs with chain cannons.  Or Heavy Bolters.  Might end up being Lascannons and Autocannons for all.

This guy is going to be a Sorcerer or Chaos Lord depending on how things look when the codex finally comes out. He's going to get the cape from the chosen set as well, and he is going to be painted as Black Legion (I have a specific color pattern in mind for the flames).  Backpack/Jumppack/Wings/Backpack w/ banner, all depend on how lords and sorcerers can be equipped.

Sorcerer/Champion

• 5 weeks later...

Glad the site is back up, time to play with the new features!  I really like being able to resize the photos in post!

More WIP on my Red Corsairs kill team, some reposing and some ripped off and replaced limbs, etc.  Still some sculpting to do on the Shrive Talon.

First, the Corsair Butcher, a former Ultramarine.  Mostly painted, still unfinished, becuase I am still working on adding trophies to his power pack.

large.20220626_234003.jpg.db3d64e958e89f786de3f1cdc4f21520.jpg

The Balefire Adept, a former Space Wolf Blood Claw, and I might post a little history with him and the others when I finishe painting them.

large.20220626_234659.jpg.e593d4080b30e620423de0d5ec938c25.jpg

Former Son of Medusa, now Corsair Heavy Gunner.  I decided I wanted some options between the Chain Cannon and Heavy Bolter, so here is this guy, and I have a different model ready for painting with the Chain Cannon (which with a lot of patience, is in place on that model).  This guy also has the heavy bolter magnetized, and I am going to make an alternative arm to have a Plasma Gun on so he can be just a gunner if I want.

large.20220626_234436.jpg.a5f135155c8997667570a312d9055026.jpg

Corsair Shrive-Talon, I had an idea that this guy is going to be a former Blood Angel, or maybe even Lamentor, but really could have come from any of them.  He relishes the screams of his suffering as much as, perhaps more than, the taste of their blood. 

large.20220626_234943.jpg.e47bc697bbe73a7265f521d1780e9d3b.jpg

As a note on this guy, this head is from the Custodes Blade Champion, and I think whomever was responsible for that sprue must have been new at the job or something.  The Blade Champion is definitely getting the helmeted head, because BOTH of the bare heads have the sprue gate right in the MIDDLE of their hair instead of at the base of the neck like nearly every other head on sprue that GW makes.  And this part isn't flat, it has texture that goes right into that gate.

I also put together a squad of Khorne Berzerkers, pics on those probaly tomorrow.  Need to take the pics and edit them.