Thanks all, glad you like him! Work on Throkk's  shipmates is coming along and hopefully there will be more to show fairly soon.

@Disease, I don't actually play 40k at all; for me the pleasure is in planning, making and painting the models, as well as coming up with interesting backstories! I've always found the setting far more compelling than the rules. When a model is done it goes on my bedroom bookcase,  although that's getting a bit crowded now...

Anyhow, this is probably going to be my last post before Christmas, so I hope everyone has a great festive season. And speaking of mysterious types dressed in red and white and capable of surprising acts of magic, here's a little preview of my next project once Trader Tor and her retinue are done. I have rather a cool concept for them that should be very stretching, so hopefully I'll be able to do it justice!

WIPs20.jpg

@Disease, I don't actually play 40k at all; for me the pleasure is in planning, making and painting the models, as well as coming up with interesting backstories! I've always found the setting far more compelling than the rules. When a model is done it goes on my bedroom bookcase,  although that's getting a bit crowded

If you ever change your mind and / or find yourself in London, give either myself or BrotherCaptainArkan a shout - we are very into small skirmishes ourselves and would love to talk through kill team ideas and fluff. Our own teams are useable in game which somewhat limits creativity, but we try to be as true to the background as possible. Your works have been quite an inspiration and I look forward to where you go next.

...and I'm back. Hope you all had a great Christmas and are looking forward to the New Year.

I spent my Christmas back with my parents, and while I was there I cleared out a couple of rooms my Dad wanted to redecorate. This gave me the opportunity to do some creative scavenging for my next project, which will involve my first tentative foray into the realms of scratchbuilding, and I came up with some interesting items, like a miniature soap dish and an ice cream carton top, which you will see out to use later on. I also found something more exciting, however; while going through a wardrobe I found my old collection of paint, which dated back to when I first got into Warhammer as a kid. I sold off the majority of my stuff when I went to university, but somehow this escaped. Most of the pots were either empty or rock solid, but I did manage to salvage these ancient Citadel Inks, which had lain completely untouched for at least fifteen years if not longer, and seemed good as new.

Inks.jpg

I've since tested them out and they work perfectly, so that's a really nice, unlooked for addition to my paint collection. Thanks for the Christmas present, ten-year old me...

What else have I been up to? Well, I've been thinking about how to paint my next project. I've noticed that in several places the Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons are described as wearing lacquered armour, and the banner Forgeworld put out shows them with quite a gloss. You could just paint them in a normal red tone I suppose and then stick a gloss varnish on, but I thought it'd be better to go for a metallic finish. The last time I tried this, I ended up with pink armour rather than red, so after reading around I thought I'd experiment with a couple of methods to see what worked best. I painted up four legs; from left to right, they're;

1. A couple of coats of shining gold over a brown undercoat;
  2. My usual method of doing gold, starting off with a shining gold-rhinox hide mix highlighting with shining gold, shining gold/mithril silver and finally with mithril silver;
  3. A couiple of coats of mithril silver over a black undercoat; and
  4. Leadbelcher/chaos black highlighted with leadbelcher, highlighted with mithril silver.

I then took my new (old) inks, added a bit of the purple to the rather orangey red ink to get a nice crimson colour, and watered it down before slappping two coats of it on each set of legs. The results were;

WIPs21.jpg

1. Quite good, especially as there was hardly any effort involved. A bit on the orangey side though.
  2. The best of the bunch with a nice shine and a good colour (as I suspected it would be), but a little on the brown side in places. Also the most time-consuming.
  3. Fine, but pink just like the last time I tried this technique.
  4. Also pink.

With this in mind, I did a fifth sert of legs, using my second method but adding a smigin of red to each layer before the ink. I also tried treating the ink as a layer of paint rather than slathering it on like a wash, and this made the coverage a lot more even. All of this seems to have intensified the red nicely, although because it's also very shiny the picture doesn't neccesarily show it...

WIPs22.jpg

I'm not neglecting Trader Tor and her Away Team either. Here's their Navigator, who is still very WIP but is coming along quite nicely.

RT11.jpg

Oh, and Disease- thanks for the offer! I do try to make my teams rules legal, although obviously this has rather gone out of the window for the Rogue Trader. I may take you up on that sometime; although I spend enough time on painting the the things as is... rolleyes.gif

wish i had the creativity with paint that you do, i can barely get past mixing vallejo game and citadel paints together with lahmian medium...dry.png

unfortunately don't have some creative input on the red color, because after some point, they all begin to look very similar for me, only the orange tinged one looks any different to these color blind eyes. wacko.png

(which is why drastic differences are the best! leadbelcher and bloodletter FTW!)

i like the navigator, the dwarvish chest piece gets a thumbs up from a stunty supporter like me. msn-wink.gif

Well the Navigator is now done, save the basing and weathering; here's two photos, one with his helm, one without;

RT12.jpg

(of course now I've posted that I realised I forgot to finish a bit; will have to go back and do that...)

I've also done three of the four armsmen who bulk out the retinue; all of these models are now in the process of basing. They look quite monochrome here but should contrast with the turqoise bases quite nicely.

RT13.jpg

Oh, and as I'm off on holiday for a week, here's two more things to tide people over; my first member of the XV Legion is mostly done...

WIPs23.jpg

...and here are the Sherut, or shadows. More on which later!

WIPs24.jpg

Thanks both. Very quick post before I go to bed but I just cracked the Thousand Sons armour issue; turns out that the ideal way to basecoat the model before adding a coat of ink is a nice smooth layer of runelord brass, which provides a lovely warm metallic red on the other side. Combined with mithril silver markings I think it looks quite good; I'm certainly very pleased with my test piece, although obviously the legion symbol needs a spot of tidying...

WIPs25.jpg

Hi all, back again and with some progress to show for it. First off, I finished up basing and weathering the Navigator and armsmen;

RT14.jpg

Here's the whole team completed so far; there's still one armsman (who fell off his base mid-paintjob and so fell behind the pace), the Rogue Trader herself and her head of security still to do. It's been a while but I'm slowly getting there!

RT15.jpg

In other news, just before I went on holiday a little package came through the post with two things that will help a lot with my next project. I'll come to the first item later, but packed in there with it were two tubes of AK True Metal, one in 'aged brass', one in 'gold'. I'd been eyeing up buying some Rub 'n Buff for a while after seeing how Forgeworld use them, and these seemed to do pretty much exactly the same thing. To test them out, I took an old bust I had of the Goddess Minerva and, after a black undercoat (probably not neccesary but why not?) I went at her with a cotton bud and the brass colour. The results were nice but not quite as shiny as I hoped, so I effectively used the gold counterpart as a highlight, waited for it to dry, and then polished it a little with a tissue;

WIP1.jpg

Interestingly, having experimented on a bit of plastic the dried paint takes a wash very well (my main concern).  All of which bodes quite well for my project!

@Malika666, I got the transparent parts from this fantastic supplier, who do a whole range of really useful-looking stuff. They're a little thick for the purpose so the heads you use need to be quite small on a marine torso, but I think they add something unique to the look...

Hey EdT, I just caught this thread and saw you looking for a way to make lacquered red for your Thousand Sons. I've been experimenting with red myself for some 30k Word Bearers and a method that Forge World uses involves Tamiya Clear Red. With your metallic undercoats you can put the Tamiya Clear Red on top of it and you'll produce a pretty shiny neat effect on the model. You might even be able to do a bunch of highlights on the metallic underneath and then have some natural looking changes after a layer or two of Tamiya Clear.

Hopefully that helps a bit!

...and I'm back. Hope you all had a great Christmas and are looking forward to the New Year.

I spent my Christmas back with my parents, and while I was there I cleared out a couple of rooms my Dad wanted to redecorate. This gave me the opportunity to do some creative scavenging for my next project, which will involve my first tentative foray into the realms of scratchbuilding, and I came up with some interesting items, like a miniature soap dish and an ice cream carton top, which you will see out to use later on. I also found something more exciting, however; while going through a wardrobe I found my old collection of paint, which dated back to when I first got into Warhammer as a kid. I sold off the majority of my stuff when I went to university, but somehow this escaped. Most of the pots were either empty or rock solid, but I did manage to salvage these ancient Citadel Inks, which had lain completely untouched for at least fifteen years if not longer, and seemed good as new.

Inks.jpg

I've since tested them out and they work perfectly, so that's a really nice, unlooked for addition to my paint collection. Thanks for the Christmas present, ten-year old me...

What else have I been up to? Well, I've been thinking about how to paint my next project. I've noticed that in several places the Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons are described as wearing lacquered armour, and the banner Forgeworld put out shows them with quite a gloss. You could just paint them in a normal red tone I suppose and then stick a gloss varnish on, but I thought it'd be better to go for a metallic finish. The last time I tried this, I ended up with pink armour rather than red, so after reading around I thought I'd experiment with a couple of methods to see what worked best. I painted up four legs; from left to right, they're;

1. A couple of coats of shining gold over a brown undercoat;
  2. My usual method of doing gold, starting off with a shining gold-rhinox hide mix highlighting with shining gold, shining gold/mithril silver and finally with mithril silver;
  3. A couiple of coats of mithril silver over a black undercoat; and
  4. Leadbelcher/chaos black highlighted with leadbelcher, highlighted with mithril silver.

I then took my new (old) inks, added a bit of the purple to the rather orangey red ink to get a nice crimson colour, and watered it down before slappping two coats of it on each set of legs. The results were;

WIPs21.jpg

1. Quite good, especially as there was hardly any effort involved. A bit on the orangey side though.
  2. The best of the bunch with a nice shine and a good colour (as I suspected it would be), but a little on the brown side in places. Also the most time-consuming.
  3. Fine, but pink just like the last time I tried this technique.
  4. Also pink.

With this in mind, I did a fifth sert of legs, using my second method but adding a smigin of red to each layer before the ink. I also tried treating the ink as a layer of paint rather than slathering it on like a wash, and this made the coverage a lot more even. All of this seems to have intensified the red nicely, although because it's also very shiny the picture doesn't neccesarily show it...

WIPs22.jpg

I'm not neglecting Trader Tor and her Away Team either. Here's their Navigator, who is still very WIP but is coming along quite nicely.

RT11.jpg

Oh, and Disease- thanks for the offer! I do try to make my teams rules legal, although obviously this has rather gone out of the window for the Rogue Trader. I may take you up on that sometime; although I spend enough time on painting the the things as is... rolleyes.gif

Thanks all, and thanks for the suggestion Lord Tharand. I'm essentially going to try the same technique but with an ink rather than the clear red; as I understand it, I'd really need an airbrush to apply it properly over a model, and that's one area where I haven't really investigated yet...

In other news, hopefully this will satisfy some Astartes cravings before I get on to the Thousand Sons; I've got started on my entry for this month's March of the Legions, and here's where I've got to so far. He'll be a Veteran sergeant hailing from Nocturne's Arridian Plains, and will probably be accompanied by a saurian cyber-mastiff to recall his roots. Here's where he is so far;

WIPs27.jpg

Which brings me to a question. Which thunder hammer do people prefer? Both are unfinished, but should give an idea of where I'm heading. I'm leaning towards the left-hand one but I'm not sure yet...

WIPs26.jpg

HI, your thread is amazing, really enjoyed progressing through it and seeing the kill teams.

Your Salamander isvery promising, and I personally would go with the right hammer ver the left.

The left hammer has a better shape to it, definitely "unto the anvil of war" however the dwarf symbol, says Norse which makes me think Space Wolves, where as the flames and comet on the other could allude to the smithy and Vulkans arrival on Nocturne?? 

If you could do away or adapt the dwarf symbol, go for the left hammer, otherwise right hammer for me...

Thanks all, and thanks for the suggestion Lord Tharand. I'm essentially going to try the same technique but with an ink rather than the clear red; as I understand it, I'd really need an airbrush to apply it properly over a model, and that's one area where I haven't really investigated yet...

In other news, hopefully this will satisfy some Astartes cravings before I get on to the Thousand Sons; I've got started on my entry for this month's March of the Legions, and here's where I've got to so far. He'll be a Veteran sergeant hailing from Nocturne's Arridian Plains, and will probably be accompanied by a saurian cyber-mastiff to recall his roots. Here's where he is so far;

WIPs27.jpg

Which brings me to a question. Which thunder hammer do people prefer? Both are unfinished, but should give an idea of where I'm heading. I'm leaning towards the left-hand one but I'm not sure yet...

WIPs26.jpg

Dwarves FTW!!!!

seriously, dwarf anvil hammer? Yes please!

Archived