Made some more progress today; I've been working on this for a while but now it's at a point where I'm happy(ish) to take a photo of it! 

RT2.jpg

Every Rogue Trader needs something to drive around in when they make planetfall, and this is one of the vehicles in Fouwé Tor's motor pool. I'm not sure if the Imperium had rediscovered the Taurox pattern by the time of the Heresy, but if not I suspect that Tor liberated an ancient warehouse of the things at some point, along with, doubtless, dark rumours of a really stupid-looking tracked variant. Aside from the wheels this is a fairly standard pattern Taurox, although it's been optimised for hostile environments and has an improved communications and augur array. I've gone for a fairly drab scheme with vehicles from Star Wars in mind, because I see Tor as a practical type not particualrly given to flamboyance. To be honest, I'm now beginning to regret not going full-on retro and opting for a Deimos Rhino or a Proteus Land Raider,  but I'm happy with the vehicle itself. 

Now I've done the basics, I need to sort out the gunner and the pintle-mounted weapon, but more importantly weather the hell out of everything! I want it to look like a vehicle that's driven across a hundred worlds and is basically well maintained, but in need of a good wash and respray...

Bit of an update; firstly, I've done some weathering on the Taurox. Now I just need to put on the lights and add the dust, which is going to cake a lot of the lower half of the vehicle.

RT4.jpg

I've also made a lot of progress on the space-suited Ogryn with a backpack and helmet added, although there's a fair bit of GS clean-up needed. I also added a close-combat attachment to the multi-laser and will attach some cabling between it and the backpack later on. I'm not sure if the helmet will be removable when everything has cured, so I painted the head just in case. I was a bit concerned about how visible it'd be behind the visor but I think it works ok overall, and should look quite good when painted...

RT3.jpg

Wheels are heresy. report to your Commissar for punishment.

More seriously, the Taurox looks much better with wheels.

The space suited Ogryn looks great. I'm just wondering if the chainblade would look better if it were used as a bayonet. Where does the put his left hand?

Glad people like things so far! Still quite a way to go but it's nice to see this particular Kill Team taking shape. I'm particularly enjoying this one, the Solar Auxilia models are truly lovely and it's fun creating some models to go with them, while still looking quite distinct. I'm conscious that the majority of Rogue Trader conversions (understandably) go for the nautical theme, with power-cutlasses and cyber-peglegs; while this is definitely fun, I want to go for a much more practical sci-fi look with pulpy undertones, Basically Dan Dare meets Alien!

@Quixus, the Ogryn supports his weapon using a handle on the far side of the multi-laser, rather than using a hand-guard on the underside like a Marine's bolter. This bit's actually unconverted; if you look at the 3D revolving view of an Ogryn on the GW website and look how he's holding his Ripper Gun, you'll see what I mean. Conveniently, this is exactly how the Solar Auxilia hold their Volkites, so it's quite a nice common theme.

Oh, and while I'm here, I got some paint on the Taurox gunner, which also gives a sense of what his foot-bound colleagues will look like once finished.

RT5.jpg

A bit more progress on the Ogryn- I think he's now ready for a lick of paint! Successfully masking that visor for spraying is going to stress me out...

RT6.jpg

You might notice that next to the greenstuff there's another, more yellow-y shade of green; this is a bit of an experiment on my part. A little while ago, I bought some Vallejo Still Water to use for something that will come along in a bit. It was completely unsuitable for what I had in mind unfortunately; but since then I've found having a liquid resin quite useful for other stuff. Mixed with some Blood for the Blood God it was perfect for filling the windows in my Taurox, and last night I realised that it might also work quite well in smoothing my green stuff work, so I mixed in a bit of green paint and slapped on a coat on the particularly bumpy areas. it seems to have done a really good job, and works as a great substitute to liquid green stuff. Indeed, reading the reviews (I haven't tried it myself), it might even work better!

I have some quite good tamiya masking tape, so I was thinking a layer of that with a coat of gloss varnish on top to seal everything. I might add some blu-tack on top just to be safe!

Ultimately if everything goes wrong I can always go for an ultra-gloss gold look like this- I'd be pretty pissed off if I had to, though...

The Ogryn's just getting better and better all the time! And the fact that there's a substantial resemblance to Subject Delta just makes me like him all the more! Come to think of it, maybe you should even embrace that idea and paint the armour plates of his void suit in tarnished bronze?!

Thanks all. I completely agree that the Taurox looks way better with wheels; the ones I used were the rather excellent Blood and Skulls Industry 6x6 conversion set, which were crisp, easy to put together and fitted perfectly; I really can't praise them enough. Speaking of which, the other day I did the dust weathering on the Taurox. It's just a drybrush, as opposed to the alternative which was finding a chalk pastel the right colour and sandpapering it. When I first finished the thing, I was really worried- in some ways it looked almost more like I'd done an object-source lighting effect than dust. But then I put it on the display base, and I was quite pleased; here's the whole thing more or less finished...

RT7.jpg

Now, on to the Ogryn. He's called Throkk, by the way, after the sound that's made when he rips somebody's arms off. As you can see, he's now fully masked and primed, and I'll get atarted on painting him soon.

RT8.jpg

Interestingly, I was just thinking about the Big Daddy resemblance, which I hadn't really thought of at all until I masked the visor; while I think with a few tweaks my conversion could definitely fit the heavy diving suit theme (and that's definitely how I expect FW to do the Ogryn Charonites in the Solar Auxilia list), I'm going for a slightly more space-suity look. Paint-wise, I hope it doesn't disappoint people too much but rather than a metallic scheme I'm going to go with a scuffed white look to match the rest of the team.

Thanks both.

Time for a progress shot, I think; Throkk is now in glorious colour, but I still need to weather him, and this will make him look considerably more battered. To my intense relief, the visor remained intact, although there does seem to be a little scratch on the inside that I'll never be able get to. I can live with that though!

RT9.jpg

Archived