++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Haha, I actually gave you those somewhat dodgy resin wings as well? I totally didn't remember that until you mentioned it...

Anyway, they should work well from a design perspective, but I think the problem is that they don't look like wings on a creature that's currently in flight: They seem to be in a semi-folded state, which really clashes with the model's sense of motion. At the same time, the Manticore wings actually work far better than I had expected. They also do have a rather icky surface texture, IIRC, with lots of veins and coarse hair -- I think they might be the best choice, although if you want to keep them for another conversion (as an aside: a winged creature on a bike sounds like it might be just a bit much...), then I think I'd fall back to the first set of plastic wings you used. I don't think you should go for a tech-y/jump pack solution, as it would just be a rehash of your other Nurglite DP, as you yourself pointed out.

Adding some goo between the cabling also sounds like a cool idea (you could easily create a suitably disturbing effect using some stringy glue), but I wouldn't go over the top with it -- see my earlier comment about the lack of a lower body being one of the integral parts of the model.

I think the manticore wings look a bit too spiky and jagged, they clash a bit with the more smooth base miniature. This of course depends on what's going to happen to the rest of it!

I quite liked the third party wings until I read k-sci's comments, that made a lot of sense.

And now I want to see a bloodthister riding a bike!

The manticore wings look good, but I think the Vargheist wings look better because the manticore wings seem to be too large for the model. I agree with Kraut about the resin wings, they don't suit the rest of the model. 

I like metal wings in terms of flight, they look like they are catching the air, but i prefer the aesthetic of the manticore wings and dont have an issue with the size of them. Elduderino made the point that they dont match the model because the mournGUL is more plainly textured... But thats fine, its a blank canvas and you could sculpt some veins or what ever you need ising the wings as reference to keep continuity. I would go with the manticore wings

I was foin going to suggest slimey cables... Not sure the beat way to do it. My only experience is with a hot glue gun. Krautscientist mentioned stringy glue. If you eant to make it subtle then uou could maybe us toothbrus bristles or fishing line to add curved strings of slime. Put beads of nurgles rot or some other thick paint to put globs in it? If you did so something like that you could have arc of the slimey bits pointing back down the path the mourngul has taken and that would help convey movement?

You could also do that by adding maybe a stream of maggots crawlimg out from between its ribs?

Of the comparison pic, I'd have to say the first and the third options look good. Smaller would fit with the style you're taking this, and with them being vestigial, there's no point having xbawks-huge wings on it. I also think the suggestion someone made for an Astartes corpse on the base that looks withered, or even a skeleton head with the marine armour would look good for the whole 'ethereal horror' vibe.

Gah, so many excellent points - only for different wings. 

I have one more set of wings as an option, which I'll post just for completion's sake - the old plastic dragon wings:

AFsrTVE.jpg

Now, the resin, third party Nurglite wings and the metal wings are done for - I just don't like them. In addition, the metal wings are too small and Kraut made an excellent point that the third party wings are folded, while the DP is in mid-flight.

That leaves the Vargheist wings, the Manticore wings, and the Dragon wings. All look quite good from the front - but it's the side and rear shots that reveal better how large they are compared to the DP's body. So please, I'd like you to compare these three options one more time:

Dragon wings:

O9g7BOb.jpg

Vargheist wings:

4QjePUg.jpg

Manticore Wings:

qNBa5lD.jpg

Let me know, please!

Cheers

Replies:

@ DuskRaider: Good point, although a hunch will make it even more difficult to get a backpack going. I can, however, make it work without the hunch, methinks. A backpack will create enough of a hunch-like protrution :)

@ KrautScientist: You did! And you make good points contra the resin wings. Goo between the cables is a go! :) Tanks again for your invaluable insight, mate.

@ ElDuderino: That's what my problem with them is, too. Especialy the thumb, index finger and middle fingers are just too.... out there. Even though their size is bothering me less and less....

@ Ashenwyte: You make a good point. ......and the size of the manticore wings bother me again. 

@ Pandoras itz Box: Manticore wings for you, eh? Alright. Re: the slime - good tips and ideas!!

@ Viridia: Hey buddy! Long time no comment here :D Thanks for your input - you're for manticore and vargheist wings equally.. but make a point against huge wings - so what do you make of the comparison pics, above?

@ ramman8: Those are some valuable two cents. Thank you!

Vargheist vote. It just looks right.

The dragon wings look really big and add quite a bulk of musculature before any GS work. This takes away from the emaciated look of the mourngul I like. As for the manitcore wings I just do not care for all the spinal growths it has.

Edited by hushrong

I quite like the third party wigs, personally. I read the daemon’s posture as if it were supporting itself with the hand touching the base, so the furled wings don’t stand out as weird to me. That said, the manticore wings are lovely and definitely work with the model. I think the texture on them could work really well with the bristles and whatnot that have been suggested in this thread. The crypt flayers wings feel a little bland, and the texture doesn’t really seem to match the look of the rest of the model. As for the Nightmare wings, i’m not sold on the head-on pose for these. I don’t think it gels with the rest of the model. If you were to rotate them more, as you did in the first picture, i think they fit better, but they still look dramatically undersized. I almost want to suggest them as a set of secondary wings, but i’m not sure the mourngul has enough surface area for something like that.

Personally, I think the Vargheist wings suit the model the best as the details seem more in sync. I appreciate that the size of Manticore wings fits the model well but they just don't support the overall ragged, ghostly, and sinewy vibe I get from the model. I don't think the smaller size really hurts the composition in this case because of what's already been mentioned; they don't need to be functional wings with correct proportions, as is the way of the warp, because this Prince thinks they should be able to fly they have wings to embody that idea, but they don't necessarily have to be functional wings that actually generate lift. I would actually offer that as feedback; consider shredding and removing much of the membrane between the 'fingers' of the wings to really embrace that they're simply an allegory for wings and they're defying the laws of physics by using them to fly.

IT HAS BEEN DECIDED: Vargheist Wings. Thank you all for your insights on this matter - and for all the lovely ideas to make this into a near-future miniature.

Here's the ideas I'll likely incorporate: 

ASTARTES ORIGIN

• Put some plugs on his chest and back
  • Campaign Studs on his forehead
  • Cabling from his chest/side to his arms/under his pauldrons
  • (remnants of) a backpack
  • Armour growing into his flesh
  • Put a dead space marine on base

Nurgle

• Give him a Hood/Cowl
  • Nurglite Exhausts
  • Hunchback
  • Fly-like bristles
  • Goo up the cables from his underside
  • More flesh hanging from his underside, between the cables and the resin flesh
  • Have nurglings fester the base, possibly over a dead space marine
  • chains

To celebrate, I made the pictures of all my ETL vows:

Vow #1 TYjsKzn.jpg

Vow #2

TLnOmLq.jpg

Vow #3

vZ4xnFX.jpg

Vow #4

AxCS7tm.jpg

Vow #5

eaNao9Z.jpg

And lastly, a picture of all the miniatures I finished for ETL VI, together:

FPdxY9I.jpg

That's 4092 points!

Wooo

Cheers

Replies:

@ hushrong: Yeah, the Manticore wings are a bit too spikey for my taste...

@ Naryn: Ha! Sorry buddy, of all the wings yuo reviewed (all of them) you were shortest and clearest about the Vargheist wings - the ones I chose! I did appreciate your input though - and I like your idea of secondary wings. If I ever use those manticore wings on something BIG, I'll do that. :D :tu:

@ Quixus: Awww, sorry bud. I thank you for your input - but Subtle Discord's thoughts, above, sold the Vargheist wings for me!

@ guardian31: Me too!

@ Subtle Discord: Thanks! Your argument were the drop that spilled the Vargheist wings' bucket, the straw that broke the Varheist Camel's back. Etc. I'll also see what I can do about removing more of the membrane. 

Looking at the new comparison, definitely the Vargheist wings. They're not too big and they just look more appropriate than the others in terms of the style.

And I've been pipped at the post! :biggrin.: Love the army shot, your old berzerkers and the Death Guard are really inspiring me with my warband at the moment, think I really need to pop the pustle and put paint to plastic with the Dark Imperium set I got.

Edited by Viridia

I dont even remember seeing the Vargheist wings, but I was trying to review them all on my phone. Yeah, they definitely look the part. Im not sure what some people issue was with them (I just cant keep up how active your thread is at the moment!), but I absolutely agree with Subtle Discord on the matching aesthetic. Even if they are raggedy and soon to be even more so, they look like there is an attempt for them to be used for flight (so even if it is its dark power keeping it aloft, I think it still looks the part better than those 3rd party folded wings. very cool to see all the things you will incorporate, looking forward to seeing this guy come along.

Great looking crew for the ETL vows. Grandfather will be pleased.  I'm anxious to see how the Deamon Prince progresses. I'm also anxious to get back to doing some Nurgle projects myself. :wink: I just checked the price on the Morungul..... one might find its way to my house. :yes:

Edited by rednekkboss

Amazing work bringing together so many models at such a high standard within the ETL time limits.

The Prince is an interesting idea and I think the Vargheist wings work the best, those of the Manticore are too pointed and the spines don't mesh well.