++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

First off, congrats on completing all your vows! Every year I’ve seen your name bouncing around the ETL threads talking about huge vows, but to actually watch them unfold this year was awesome.

Second, that DP looks phenomenal! I love that gaunt look you’re going for, that’s an aspect of Nurgle that really doesn’t get touched on often. You’ve already got lots of advice on the wings, so I won’t bother chiming in on that. But do you have plans for the bottom half?

Cheers, gang! 

Again, the race for feedback about which wings is over - I have chosen the Vargheist wings. There was an exactly equal amount of people in the Manticore wing crowd as there was in the Vargheist wing crowd - but arguments for the gaunt look of the Vargheists won the day. It was never a democratic thing, though - I would have gone for the thing that made the most sense -not the one that got the most votes- anyway. So telling my why is a much stronger influence than just saying 'I vote Vargheist wings'. :) 

Anyway, I glued the wings in place and started with the Astartification process. 

I added the basic form of a backpack (two plates of plasticard with greenstuff in between):

8FEeoIv.jpg

Added sockets to his left chest:

X98wrwr.jpg

And another one to his right chest, plus a cable running from his side to the inside of his upper right arm. 

nBiUVIS.jpg

I need a break from this miniature, though, so I bought something crazy.

REffxnX.jpg

A ridiculous miniature, which might have its place in a Nurgle list...

Thanks for looking. C&C welcome!

Cheers. 

Replies:

@ Subtle Discord: Stop breaking yur keyboard!

@ hushrong: Haha granpa is proud, no? ;)

@ Viridia: Hurray! Another vote for the Vargheist wings. Glad to see you agree. That's not a complete army shot, though - that's just what I painted for the ETL.

@ sfPanzer: There wasn't a voting process, unfortunately - I just wanted some feedback on why. And I've already chosen.... but I still appreciate the intention. :)

@ Edlrick Shadowblade: Re: what I said to sfPanzer! And noooooo I shall NOT forget the chains! :tu:

@ Pandoras Bitz Box: Cheers! I need some time on him though - I'm not quite sure about the boulder under his left hand, and the backpack is also bugging me, for some reaon.

@ rednekkboss: Definitely worth it, go!

@ Pearson73: Thank you! I agree very much on your stance about the Manticore wings. 

@ Midnight Runner: I already chose the Vargheists! And thanks about the ETL comment :)

@ PowerHungryMonkey: Thanks, buddy! But as I wrote in the previous post, I already chose the Vargheist wings... But I nonetheless appreciate your comment! I still need to buy a zombie dragon sometime... Although I think I should have done that when I was still wroking on my Night Lords army - which I have since sold.

@ Bjorn Firewalker: So.... Vargheist wings?

@ Pandoras Bitz Box: Thank you! Cheers, buddy!

@ Greenz: talking about huge vows? I painted them too! ;) Thanks about the comment on the DP - I agree the decrepid, rotting appearance doesn't get enough love over the rotting bulbuous thang. ;)

Not sure how I feel about the power cell but the plugs are a good start. Did the Gnarlmaw come with all that or did you modify it?

Yeah the backpack is bothering me too - I think I'll just sculpt it like it's already become organic. 

The Gnarlmaw is just stock. I just added a base and some sand. 

Also, I got your PM, in which you asked the following:

Quick question, though... how big is that Gnarlmaw exactly? Like, say... compared to a Knight's carapace? Like, say... would it be too large to attach one in a round about way to said carapace?

WHAT AN EXCELLENT IDEA

Here's my answer:

Hidden Content

jEAUwQy.jpg

4MeWCtV.jpg

on1pCbk.jpg

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

That Gnarlmaw wouldn't look amiss in Kingdom Death, really nice miniature. Using the Mourngul for a Daemon Price was a great idea, it's gauntness being fairly atypical to the usual Princes you see. Good stuff, looking forward to seeing it painted. 

So yes, it is a bit big, but you could cut it down a touch. Also I quite like the idea of turning the big flat seed pods into the missile launchers...

Anyway, Daemon Prince! Looking very cool. Any plans for weapons or are you just taking the claws?

Dragonlover

No it's not! It's absolutely not! That's a totally doable conversion. The only problem is it gets in the way of the missile pod slot - which is a necessity for a competitive Knight.

DO ittt.... You know you want to.

So yes, it is a bit big, but you could cut it down a touch. Also I quite like the idea of turning the big flat seed pods into the missile launchers...

This works perfectly and would be amazing.

That being said a cut down version using the front of the tree mounted more horizontal where the tree's mouth replaces the Knight's hatch would also work and help keep the silhouette from getting too large. That said it's more a matter of taste, I personally feel slapping a warshrine or the tree on top can extend the Knight to much and really detract from the core shape. Even on my beast I tried to keep a lot of the work roughly within the original outline.

The Prince is looking good and I probably shouldn't try and get you onto a new massive project no matter how awesome you would do it, that and the tree alone looks to be an interesting unit to use one the field and will be cool to see alongside your Nurgle army. Do you have plans to extend the daemon portion further with a beast of nurgle or maybe two (would love to see how you get multiples with a very similar stock pose to look as different as possible) or a great unclean one?

For a missile pod I'd look to grab a HelBrute or Blight-Hauler bit and replace the tilt shield on one side. Remember, weapon facing means nothing in 8th so whatever. Plus it'd look cooler built into the Knight instead of slapped on and I'm willing to bet it would fit well without much cutting.

I'm seriously considering this now, Auggy :)

Why couldn't all the maggty things in the Gnarl Maw be the missiles, that it spews out at things if they get too close.

You could do some random maggoty bits and bile etc corroding the paint on the carapace top coming from the maw,(maybe a little leaking into the pilots hatch.

The backpack.... Why does it have to be supersized? The Astartes may have warped and altered, but does the armour plate have to aswell. Why not have the back pack half buried in the daemon princes cadaverous body, or barely clingino on, but a regular size.

Or even have it dangling along behind him on the cables that are trailing along, as if it has fallen off his body and is only held on by the cabling?

Wings look good

Needs some armour somewhere to show it was once astartes though

Why couldn't all the maggty things in the Gnarl Maw be the missiles, that it spews out at things if they get too close.

THIS! I thought the exact same thing when I saw the mockup -- wouldn't it be cool for a Nurgle Knight not to be firing missiles, but rather some hideous kind of viral goo, launched from bursting pods of vileness? ;)

On a related note, if one wanted to add a smaller tree to a Nurgle Knight, the weapon from that GUO character might be worth a look, as it's smaller and still has the tree look.

THIS! I thought the exact same thing when I saw the mockup -- wouldn't it be cool for a Nurgle Knight not to be firing missiles, but rather some hideous kind of viral goo, launched from bursting pods of vileness? ;)

On a related note, if one wanted to add a smaller tree to a Nurgle Knight, the weapon from that GUO character might be worth a look, as it's smaller and still has the tree look.

Don't give me ideas. I was wondering how to give a Nurgle Knight a cool looking missile launcher. :lol: And yeah, I second the thought of using a spare Gnarlrod from Rotigus' if one has it.

Thnks, guys. today was meant to be a productive hobby day, but I ignored a tiny speck of dusty mould on the inside of the lid of a jar of peach confiture, put the jam in my yoghurt, and now I've been having severe food poisoning. So I just was able to do some simple washing and drybrushing on the tree to get it finished.

Hurray!

9TxlVEb.jpg

n5N1pvs.jpg

neQDfNa.jpg

Before I had breakfast, I did some minor work on the Daemon Prince - I did some fleshy sculpting to integrate the wings and the sockets, and added two campaign studs to his forehead. Sadly, one fell out. The most significant thing though, is I dremelled away all the milliput rock I sculpted in his 'landing hand', and filled the holes with actuall rocks. FAR better. 

QbUPa8Kg.jpg

uqmBQLZ.jpg

03Q5lDp.jpg

I hope you like the update. C&C most welcome. I'm back to the toilet.

Cheers

Replies:

@ Ashenwhyte: Cheers, buddy! Any suggestions other than the ones that are already mentioned to make its astartes heritage more apparent?

@ DuskRaider: Fair enough! Your idea is no pollution at all - this thread is set up to inspire and share ideas, so we're doing exactly that.

@ Dragonlover: it is big, but it fits bizarrely well even uncut. It wouldn't require a whole lot of effort or skill to make this work. As for the Prince - just claws - that's the best option anyway.

@ ElDuderino: Cheers, bud! Any suggestions for the astartification?

@ Mechanist: Haha Yes I thought about it, but I didn't particularly like painting the tree (although that might have something to do with the food poisoning). Dantay's solution for the Missile pods being represented by the seed pods of the trees is great and a logival, acceptable solution, but it doesn't jive in my mind, for some reason. Replacing the Knight's hatch with the mouth of the tree is exactly what I though the moment I checked the size ration. It'd be fricking wicked, no? I hate the Beast of Nurgle miniature as it is so monopose. I could see that as a challenge, though.... hmmm. This might need some thought. 

@ DuskRaider: Could work, indeed. Also, weapon facing does mean something in 8th. The Warlord titan's rear twin lascannons have a rearward facing fire arch. However all his ther weapons don't - so weirdly RAW it would be tactically more useful to put the titan on the table with his back to the enemy. :biggrin.: Back to the Gnarlmaw: believe me it would ft really well. 

@ Dantay_VI:Yeah, that's the spirit. I like that missile idea. About the backpack: you're absolutely right - it doesn't have to be supersided at all - it just needs to be 'there', or at least there should be something that hints at there once having been a backpack. 

@ guardian31: Well, the gnarlmaw is finished and the DP had some work done. Let me know what you think!

@ KrautScientist: The weapon from the GUO character? I think that's about the size of a guardsmen, so a bit too small, no? 

@ Gederas: Totally go for it!

@ Hungry Nostraman Lizard: Not yet! I do have two sitting on a shelf, patientely waiting for paint. Actually I have the FW Chaos Knight snce it came out three years (?) ago!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Awe man that sucks. Food poison from a little bit of mouldy jam.

Still great job on the tree and the prince is coming along nicely, hope you feel better soon and can relax and get more done.

As for the knight I'm sure it's probably just the bad experience when it comes to painting the tree. Maybe grab a second one to join the first for gaming options. Would be fun to make them look different too. At some point I'm going to have to finish my start collecting Daemons and expand on it.

The service stud popping out seems so appropriate. He is kind of falling apart isn't he? I wonder if you can paint that part of the head as a fresh wound to show that.

The update to his base and extra work also looks great as well!

I also do not know what the hell that thing is you painted but it looks good.

And sorry to hear about the food poisoning. That is never bueno!

What have I missed? A LOT.

Hope you feel better soon.

You've got an incredible army out of your ETL efforts. It's highly impressive.

The daemon prince is very ambitious but is going to be so unique. He would also have made a great Night Lords DP if you were still doing them and went in that direction. The plugs are great and help anchor him into the 40k universe, as do the cables. Way too late now to suggest in game terms those long arms could have counted as wings for high movement. You have an impressive amount of wing choices at your disposal. I like the fact he has no legs. It reminds me of the scene in the exorcist when she is crawling down the stairs. The daemon doesn't necessarily view the human body as functioning in the same way.

The gnarlmaw looks great, I like the gums and teeth particularly.

Thnks, guys. today was meant to be a productive hobby day, but I ignored a tiny speck of dusty mould on the inside of the lid of a jar of peach confiture, put the jam in my yoghurt, and now I've been having severe food poisoning. 

Just because you like plague marines doesn't mean you are a plague marine!