[HH1.0] Sons of Horus Tactica

Dorrance

Horus's teleport trick is dumb, because it means you are unable to assault at least until turn 3. Drop him in a dreadclaw!

It's dumb that you can accurately deep strike a unit equipped with combi plasma that shoot at 12" range with bs5 without having to buy any sort of transport? I have to disagree. I'll give you that it's not ideal to have Horus not assaulting till turn 3, but the ability to drop a justerian unit with combi weapons wherever you want is pretty handy. Plus Horus gets to add his orbital blast to all that combi weapon fire.

How does Horus use Ordnance on the turn he arrives? Deepstrike counts as moving and he doesn't have Relentless.

EDIT: Rereading "The Serpent's Scales" I can't work out if the first sentence is just a fancy description, like all Primarch wargear or its meant to be its specific rules. For example, "Horus' unique suit of Terminator armour is one of the first prototypes"..etc but it goes on to state the rules for his unique suit which doesn't include the standard Terminator rules. So he can either have relentless but then is also unable to Sweep OR he doesn't have relentless and he can sweep....I don't know.

EDIT 2: Comparing him to Perturabo, his own "Terminator armour" the Logos, is given its own list of special rules, just like Horus but in an easier to read format. On top of that, Perts own Bombardment attack gives him express permission to use at any time stating "this does not count as him firing a weapon"...

EDIT 3: The latest FAQ also addressed unique Terminator armour, the example given is actually Horus, and it states that the rules will be given in its unit entry and should not be inferred form elsewhere. So I guess I answered my own question, Horus cannot shoot his Orbital Bombardment on the turn he arrives which means if you want to use it, he then must stand still for the entirety of the next turn as well....wow, that sucks.

Edited by Rangaman

Horus's teleport trick is dumb, because it means you are unable to assault at least until turn 3. Drop him in a dreadclaw!

It's dumb that you can accurately deep strike a unit equipped with combi plasma that shoot at 12" range with bs5 without having to buy any sort of transport? I have to disagree. I'll give you that it's not ideal to have Horus not assaulting till turn 3, but the ability to drop a justerian unit with combi weapons wherever you want is pretty handy. Plus Horus gets to add his orbital blast to all that combi weapon fire.
Yes, it's dumb, because that teleport trick is costing you 500 points of model that's not doing anything of value for at least a turn. You could do the same by dropping them with a dreadclaw too, and you get a solid infantry sweeper in the balance. Joining the unit reduces his toughness to 4 against shooting, making it easier to dice him to death with regular firepower and making target selection really easy for your opponent's heavy weapons,

It's a good trick in apocalypse games, where you have time to get him in (or a trick to teleport him first turn), with a 10-man Justaerin squad and an apothecary in the heart of enemy lines near some objective. In a regular game, that's shooting yourself in the foot.

How does Horus use Ordnance on the turn he arrives? Deepstrike counts as moving and he doesn't have Relentless.

EDIT: Rereading "The Serpent's Scales" I can't work out if the first sentence is just a fancy description, like all Primarch wargear or its meant to be its specific rules. For example, "Horus' unique suit of Terminator armour is one of the first prototypes"..etc but it goes on to state the rules for his unique suit which doesn't include the standard Terminator rules. So he can either have relentless but then is also unable to Sweep OR he doesn't have relentless and he can sweep....I don't know.

EDIT 2: Comparing him to Perturabo, his own "Terminator armour" the Logos, is given its own list of special rules, just like Horus but in an easier to read format. On top of that, Perts own Bombardment attack gives him express permission to use at any time stating "this does not count as him firing a weapon"...

EDIT 3: The latest FAQ also addressed unique Terminator armour, the example given is actually Horus, and it states that the rules will be given in its unit entry and should not be inferred form elsewhere. So I guess I answered my own question, Horus cannot shoot his Orbital Bombardment on the turn he arrives which means if you want to use it, he then must stand still for the entirety of the next turn as well....wow, that sucks.

I have been interpreting it from his line:

"When not engaged in close combat or in reserve, Horus may call down a shooting attack once per game."

Probably interpreting it wrong and jumping to conclusions, but it sounds like he is just able to call down the attack regardless, as long as he is not in reserve or in cc. Kind of weird that Primarchs don't have innate relentless.

Yea thats how I first read it, but compare it to how Perturabo's Orbital Bombardment is worded.

Horus is still making an Ordnance shooting attack which has limitations of not moving unless he has Relentless, Perturabo on the other hand has a clearly written exemption to that.

Kinda sucky since that means if you DS Horus T2, T3 is kind of wasted standing there just to shoot the Orbital Strike meaning he really only has T4-6 to assault ...unless you do it in the complete opposite order and use the Orbital Strike to shoot anything late game after everything has scattered from your original DS location, which is usually the case I have found.

Yea thats how I first read it, but compare it to how Perturabo's Orbital Bombardment is worded.

Horus is still making an Ordnance shooting attack which has limitations of not moving unless he has Relentless, Perturabo on the other hand has a clearly written exemption to that.

Kinda sucky since that means if you DS Horus T2, T3 is kind of wasted standing there just to shoot the Orbital Strike meaning he really only has T4-6 to assault ...unless you do it in the complete opposite order and use the Orbital Strike to shoot anything late game after everything has scattered from your original DS location, which is usually the case I have found.

That's exactly how I'd use him. T1 drop in a claw. T2+ kill everything you can reach. Late game drop the bombardment when you can't charge anymore.

• 1 month later...

I finally got a chance to test out my SOH a little bit.  I had a big team game last night with 4 players each taking a 4K list.  I decided to throw in a small 1000pt SOH allied detachment  for fun.  Man the SOH are no joke!

One of my vet squads (hereby named squad amazeballs!) outflanked into my opponents deployment zone and proceeded to nuke a full 3 tank Basilisk squadron.   They were then assaulted by a 11 man tac squad of which I killed 2 guys on OW with my 2 plasma guns.  My Sarge challenged and killed the other Sarge and the squad them spent the next two turns ripping the squad apart.  Then the survivors of the assault ganged up on a Librarian and killed him. Their last move was to slingshot themselves after killing the Librarian with a consolation roll of 6 to get close enough to assault a Spartan on it's last hull point.  The powerfist sarge then wrecked it on the last turn of the game. 

In summary that single squad killed around a 1000pts worth of stuff!

Final kill tally:

3 Basilisks

11 tac marines

1 terminator librarian

1 Spartan

Holy :censored: they were amazing!

It was 10 man squad with 5 combi plasma guns, 2 plasma guns, 2 power swords and the SGT had Artificer armour and a power fist.  I unloaded all the plasma at the tanks on the turn I outflanked taking advantage of that sweet +1 BS (and paper thin side armour :wink: )

What can I say but ":censored: the Arbites!" lolol :P

• 2 weeks later...

Played a couple 2k point games this weekend, the first was a 1v1 blood feud against 1kSons and the other was a 3 person objectives game against 1kSons and SW.

Sacrificial Offering continues to be amazing. Having 40+ Guardsmen who don't give up victory points is incredible, and being able to completely dominate the edges of the board is ridiculously awesome. I reduced the 1kSons player to just his Sekhmet in our 1v1, and I very nearly tabled the SW player in our second game with my Vets alone.

• 3 months later...

Hello fellew Sons of Horus players, I'll be attending a tournament next month and I'd appreciate some feedback on my lists, I've only played a handful of games and have been trying to find a balance between units I like, fluff and effectiveness on the tabletop.

Sorry in advance, this is a bit of a long post, feedback and advice is much appreciated!!

1500 points The Long March

HQ

Maloghurst

Elites

Cortus contemptor, 2 close combat weapons, 2 grav guns, dreadnought drop pod

Contemptor mortis, 2 TL lascannons

Troops

5 Cataphractii terminators, 5 combi plasma, 2 power fists, 2 chain fists, 1 lightning claw, anvillus dreadclaw

5 marksmen vets, 3 combi melta, 1 melta gun, artificer armour

9 reavers, jump packs, 4 chainaxe, 3 power weapon, 1 powerfist, artificer armour, melta bombs

Fast attack

Anvillus dreadclaw (for veterans & maloghurst)

I did consider swapping out the 2 conntemptors for a leviathan in a pod, but felt that was a bit nasty at 1500 points.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2000 points The Long March

HQ

Maloghurst

Elites

apothecary, jump pack, power sword (joins reavers)

contemptor mortis, 2 TL lascannons

5 justaerin, 5 combi plasma, 2 power fist, 2 chainfist, 1 lightning claw, anvillus dreadclaw

Troops

6 marksmen vets, 4 combi melta, 1 melta gun, artificer armour

10 reavers, jump packs, 5 chain axe, 1 power fist, 3 power weapon, artificer armour, melta bombs

Fast attack

anvillus dreadclaw (for veterans)

Heavy support

leviathan dreadnought, storm cannon, phosphex. armoured ceramite, dreadnought drop pod

5 heavy support marines, missile launchers (maloghurst joins these)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3000 points The Long March

HQ

Maloghurst

Elites

Contemptor cortus, 2 close combat weapons, 2 grav guns, dreadnought drop pod

Mortis contemptor, TL lascannons

Apothecary, jump pack, power sword

Troops

5 Justaerin, 5 combi plasma, 2 power fists, 2 chain fists, 1 lightning claw

10 marksmen vets, 4 combi melta, 2 melta guns, artificer armour

5 tactical support marines, plasmaguns, artificer armour, rhino with multimelta

10 reavers, jump packs, 3 power weapons, 1 power fist, 5 chain axes, artificer armour, melta bombs

Fast attack

Anvillus dreadclaw (for veterans)

Heavy support

7 heavy support marines, missile launchers (maloghurst joins)

leviathan dreadnought, storm cannon, phosphex, armoured ceramite, dreadnought drop pod

Lord of War

Horus (joins justaerin)

Thanks for reading

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, I'm going to be starting a Sons of Horus force soon and I have questions (I'm sorry if these are simple questions, I don't have Betrayal):

1. Can the Black Reaving row be taken in a shattered legion list?

2. Are Reavers wasted if they are run as a ranged unit with a few combi bolters, banestrike rounds, and a couple power weapons? I thought it would be kind of cool to use them more like veterans with a bit more Sons of Horus flair but I'm not sure if that's simply a waste of points.

3. I like the look of the Justaerin's axes, but does that waste their furious charge ability? 

4. On the Fluff side of things, do we have any idea as to how their heraldry works? I've taken a good look at their transfer sheet but I am not sure which symbols mean what. I understand that they are divided into companies, but do they use symbols or numbers to differentiate between them? I'm guessing as the heresy continued, the Sons used more Cthonian iconography but is there any structure to that or do you guys just go for the cooler option? Speaking of which what is the symbol on the second pauldron set? Another gang symbol?

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to painting some Traitors!

Edited by Luna707

Hey bud, I can answer a few....

1) Yes you can, but the Warlord must be a Sons of Horus Preator (for Master of the Legion) and you need a Master of Signal. PLUS because Shattered Legions, you need your 3rd HQ to be from a different legion.

2) Sadly, Veterans do everything Reivers can for a much cheaper price. Marksmen gives outflank and Sniper is better than Banestrike (which is pretty poor anyway). The only point of difference is that Reivers can take Jump Packs, which if you want to use them you should as they're a rather effective and fast unit that can threaten anywehre, especially from outflank. Maybe Jump-Packs and Combi-Plas could be useful: Show up, Plasma something and then get ready to charge next turn with a few power weapons? Nice Synergy with Death Dealers.

3) Furious Charge is just +1S, no initiative bonus anymore. So you get S6 Power Axes on the charge, wounding enemy Marines on 2+. Nice. Only problem is by using axes you give up your Merciless Fighters bonus attack.

4) Eh, unsure on this one!

Has anyone tried running Reavers all with Volkite? I am considering doing a squad with jump packs and Volkite for all the death ray action. I acknowledge it would be pricey but given that 30k is played at higher levels anyway I have a felling this could be a deadly squad.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone consider using sniper veterans with combi-volkite and maybe some power weapons?

Expensive, for sure, but lets you shoot a bunch of sniper rounds at BS5 that generate additional attacks on unsaved wounds, and then assault to take full advantage of their 3 attacks + bonus.

A 7-man squad shoots 14 times, killing 5 marines after all the deflagrates. Certainly not as deadly as plasma for the same cost, which kills almost 10 enemy marines (and 2 or 3 of your own), but with volkite you can do that every turn and assault afterwards.  Melee should very easily make up the deficit from the shooting phase.

Anyone consider using sniper veterans with combi-volkite and maybe some power weapons?

Expensive, for sure, but lets you shoot a bunch of sniper rounds at BS5 that generate additional attacks on unsaved wounds, and then assault to take full advantage of their 3 attacks + bonus.

A 7-man squad shoots 14 times, killing 5 marines after all the deflagrates. Certainly not as deadly as plasma for the same cost, which kills almost 10 enemy marines (and 2 or 3 of your own), but with volkite you can do that every turn and assault afterwards.  Melee should very easily make up the deficit from the shooting phase.

If you take combi-volkites, the volkite component can still only be shot once per game.

If you take combi-volkites, the volkite component can still only be shot once per game.

The most recent rules say you can shoot them multiple times in the rulebook.

FW also confirmed this at the open day (not weekender) with an FAQ.

Thank you Charlo and Caillum, you both beat me to it. :)

So now that we got their existence squared away, anyone got some thoughts?

It's 17 points for a Support Marine with CCW and a volkite charger, which is actually a pretty fun unit.  It's 22 for a veteran with a combi-volkite. 5 points for sniper, outflank, and an extra attack. Seems decent.

The grenade launcher I don't see getting too much use outside of the Dark Angels, who will carry quite a few.

Thank you Charlo and Caillum, you both beat me to it. :smile.:

So now that we got their existence squared away, anyone got some thoughts?

It's 17 points for a Support Marine with CCW and a volkite charger, which is actually a pretty fun unit.  It's 22 for a veteran with a combi-volkite. 5 points for sniper, outflank, and an extra attack. Seems decent.

The grenade launcher I don't see getting too much use outside of the Dark Angels, who will carry quite a few.

Taking that Veteran load-out; a combination of:

Death Dealers, Sniper, Deflagrate & Merciless Fighters, you end up with an ungodly number of hits to things across a single turn.

Another options (previously discussed above), albeit expensive, could be Reivers with the same load-out, but also jump packs. What you lack in Sniper you make up for in raw speed and aggression!

So. Termites.

“SoH termite breacher/Vets/reavers are absolutely dirt nasty.

Turn 1:

A.) pop up turn one within 12” of your chosen victim

B.) using long march and death dealers, your unit is now BS10 (+1 bs for 12”, reroll 1’s turn one)

C.) drink the tears of your enemy who was your friend before the game”

• 4 months later...

Hi, Sons of Horus! What do you think about our lists now with the FAQ? I think that now, without Marksmen, Reavers have a place again, although they are still to expensive

Sorry for my bad english, is my first post in an English forum and I'm from Spain

Welcome!

The FAQ hurts us a bit. Marksmen were a point efficient fire power choice especially with drop pod lists. Now in order to get a vet unit with say possible TEQ killing power it costs at least 100 points more.

Yeah I get it, Marksmen were too good blah blah blah invalidated tactical squads blah blah blah

Legions lost a solid unit for dealing with Mecanicum and TEQ and replaced it with a vet ability that is OK, but not great imo.

Given that HH is filled with things that just NOPE MEQs off the board, this was a bummer.