[HH1.0] Sons of Horus Tactica

Dorrance

Thanks guys, that's probably the smart decision. I can't help but wish taking a cheap paragon blade praetor though because with merciless fighters, you could wind up with another attack, and for a 25 point hand held super weapon, that ain't bad :P

Maloghurst may be an expensive scoring sarge but troop vets without using a rite is very, very useful. 

I'm looking at orbital assault (still), armoured spearhead, and brethren of iron as solid choices.

140pts for a scoring (Assuming he's your Warlord), 6" bubble of fearless and access to vets and reavers as troops with space for a different rite of war is incredible 

Hey guys,

I'm just polishing up my 2500pts list for an event coming up.  Debating what LoW will support a long march list well.  The core of the list is:

Maloghurst

5 Justaerin
3 Quad Mortars

10 Vets Rhino
10 Vets Rhino

Was debating on taking Horus but I think he's too expensive at this points level and doesn't support the army enough.  My other options are single knight Paladin, Typhon, or Falchion/Fellblade/Bane Blade.

Horus works fine in 2500 from my experience, although you do need to build the list around him. All of your available options are quite good, but only you can decide which supports the list best based on the contents of your final draft. The only benefit from The Long March applicable to a Lord of War is re-rolling 1's to hit on the first turn, so none of them are really going to benefit significantly more than others - although quad lascannons certainly won't mind the boost.

I'm a big fan of a Falchion because you can essentially rule any enemy super heavies out of the game, and eventually you will roll that 6 which completely deletes whatever it hits, so that would probably be my preference.

Just built my Kharybdis!

I'm hoping to get a game in soon with Athrawes, but I know we have a big Apoc game coming up in a week, so I will see if all my scrubs can do anything.

I revised my list and I'm looking at something better but just a slight tangent away from what I normally do:

-Maloghurst (Long War)

-Damocles Rhino

-10 Reavers + gear + Apothecary in a Kharybdis

-2x10 man veteran sniper squads

-5 man Justaerin squad in Dreadclaw

-5 man plasma Seekers

-5 man lascannon squad (relentless using Rhino as cover and Mal to tank/score/fearless)

-Leviathan Dreadnought w/drill and storm cannon +dread pod

-2 rapier laser destroyers

If I want to go to 3000 I can take a Knight Atrapos or Cerastus, though I'd lean toward the former :D

I've had great success with Dreadclaws and Kharybdis.

I would probably suggest that the list is a bit light on armour but I am a treadhead at heart, so that is expected.

Which two pods will come down Turn One?

Knowing you are up against some OP Thousand Sons I can't really say if this is a strong list or not, most likely not.

Why not bump the Reavers up to take advantage of the Kharybdis transport capacity, or swap the Laser Rapiers out for Javelins?

Obviously if this is a list using what you already have then you cant really make huge changes, so give it a shot and see what happens.

Leviathan in a pod is so damn good though, I'd be hesitant to drop it. Even with the storm cannon over the grav-flux/melta you're still dealing with very short range on that thing, although that might be mitigated somewhat by his units deep striking. I'd prefer the grav-flux or melta against his terminator units though, and you can ID with the melta. Building on what Withershadow said, I'd probably build the Seekers up, drop combi weapons and camp them in cover using their heavy ammunition.

If your Veterans and Seekers are going without transports, then perhaps dropping the Leviathan pod isn't such a bad idea. That way you can group your units together in cover and form a fire base that forces him to deep strike nearby, dealing with the Leviathan as a matter of priority, and your Justaerin + Reavers can respond using their assault transports.

At the same time, what else are you expecting to face? How much of his army is deep striking, is it some barebone units of Sekhmet or the full Magnus+friends absurd bonanza? Because if so, attempting to cripple what he has on the board before he deep strikes would be ideal, as would means of manipulating his reserve rolls so he's less likely to come on. The pod would be better there.

EDIT: you edited your post while I was posting. There have to be 2x Sekhmet squads, plus a Praetor and a PM...that's a substantial amount of points. I think you'll be comfortable enough dealing with that so long as you get the first major punch in.

Edited by Marshal Loss

So something I haven't thought about till now, but what do people think about using fury of the legiones after using relentless and rerolling 1's from the long march RoW? Technically you count as stationary if you move forward, so you could move 6", fury, and then run in the proceeding phase utilizing fleet from being in no man's land.

Relentless allows you to count as stationary when firing Heavy, Salvo and Ordnance weapons. Because it doesn't mention Rapid Fire, it doesn't overrule the 'Fury of the Legion' text from the AoD rules.

Darn :/ coulda done something with that lol. Woulda been fluffy as I imagined the front cover of False Gods where you have masses of marines advancing forward unloading and charging.

Fury of the Legion is a strange rule. You can't move before doing it, but can assault normally. I would have liked that to be the other way around, to make sure you get to use the ability during most games rather than once in a blue moon.

There's still the possibility of your opponent deploying near you as in deep strike, but it'll be a rare case. If they come to you, you can still sit still and use fury then charge.

Hey  guys,

If using Horus what's your preferred delivery method?

- Spartan
- Kharaybyss
- Using his DS rule

My buddy pointed out that his DS rule is nice but delegates him to a turn 3 charge where the other 2 methods would allow a turn 2 charge (for the pts ofcourse).  Anyone have any personal experience?

Hey guys,

If using Horus what's your preferred delivery method?

- Spartan

- Kharaybyss

- Using his DS rule

My buddy pointed out that his DS rule is nice but delegates him to a turn 3 charge where the other 2 methods would allow a turn 2 charge (for the pts ofcourse). Anyone have any personal experience?

No experience, however I lean towards the Kharybdis just to tank shots and let him move around the board.

Ive seen Horus used regularly by another SoH player at my club and the one thing I have noticed is how easily avoided he is. After the deepstrike I tend to move further away from him while focus firing the rest of his army.

Adding a transport for him would help mitigate that BUT it would greatly diminish the size of your army since it will cost close to 1000pts depending on his retinue.

Ive seen Horus used regularly by another SoH player at my club and the one thing I have noticed is how easily avoided he is. After the deepstrike I tend to move further away from him while focus firing the rest of his army.

Adding a transport for him would help mitigate that BUT it would greatly diminish the size of your army since it will cost close to 1000pts depending on his retinue.

The best way to deepstrike him is to out him and his bodyguard midfield where they really can't be avoided you either deny huge amounts of area and objectives or the enemy has to engage you.

How about Outflanking Horus in a Landraider with a command squad? Sons reserve reroll plus Damocles can give you a pretty good chance of getting a Turn Three charge, coupled with being able to Outflank anything held in reserve, you could support him a bit better then his suicide dive Deepstrike...

This is all just thoughts though, I havent used Horus myself.

Edited by Rangaman

I run this 2500 Orbital Assault list with great success:

•                HQ (95pts)
    • Legion Centurion (95pts)

Artificer Armour, Combat Shield, Combi-Weapon, Power Fist

• Elites (505pts)
    • Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon (245pts)
      • Cortus Dreadnought

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod, Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter

• Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon (245pts) Cortus Dreadnought
      • Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod, Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter

• Troops (1424pts)
    • Justaerin Terminator Squad (611pts)

8x Combi-Weapon, 10x Justaerin Terminators, 2x Multi-melta, 10x Power Fist

•  

• Legion Terminator Squad (305pts)

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod, 4x Legion Terminators, 4x Lightning Claw, Tartaros Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon

• Legion Terminator Sergeant

Chainfist

• Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (233pts)

Legion Drop Pod, 8x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen

• Additional Wargear

Meltagun

• Combi-weapon: Meltagun

• Legion Veteran Sergeant

Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Fist

• Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (260pts)

Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Veteran Tactics: Marksmen

• Additional Wargear

2x Meltagun

• Legion Veteran Sergeant

Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Fist                     

•                Lords of War (500pts)
    • Horus the Warmaster (500pts)                 

Edited by chosen40k

No double graviton guns on your contemptors, what heresy! I do imagine though that a heavily deep striking army works rather well with Horus, since he won't be the only deep striking threat. Although considering you don't have anything on the board first turn seems like you'd technically lose if you don't get first turn..