[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

Vets can already choose to outflank

I know but with an Vigilator they can outflank AND can take another special rule like Tank Hunter or Sniper. ;) Pretty neat if ya ask me.

But which one is the best and how to equip 'em?

Vets can already choose to outflank

I know but with an Vigilator they can outflank AND can take another special rule like Tank Hunter or Sniper. :wink: Pretty neat if ya ask me.

But which one is the best and how to equip 'em?

Yes, with a Vigilator they can outflank and take sniper. And then as Alpha Legion also take Tank Hunters. And then as a Delegatus force, also take Move through Cover. :D

So many rulez! :)

Melta bombs, Sniper and a pair of heavy bolters is a tried-and-true loadout. 10 melta bombs will deal with armour (even without Tank Hunters), and they can shoot away at multiple targets with pseudo-Rend. If you need them to, they can Assault with 40 attacks on the charge - weight of 'fire' will bring down units, even Terminators.

Eh.

Hitting on 4's wounding on 4's, saving on 2's equals 1-2 dead, at 280pts. Terminators have 10 TL bolter shots, or combi weapons like flamers, etc, and hitting on 4's, wounding on 4's/3's, ignoring saves.

They are not Anti TEQ even in a pinch, it is a mere desperation move to engage, and better shoot when Sniper can take effect with only bolter counter. TEQ's hard counter MEQ's without mass at initiative AP2 of fearless.

The only reason Terminators are a strong chpice is because they are otherwise strong, and people had to learn tocounter them, so Mortars, Grav, Strikedown, Transport Killing became a major thing.

If you want to run Terms, the best legiones bar none are NL and IF because Deep Strike without RoW limitations, and putting 10 Combi Plasma/Melta on a target, followed by Alpha Legion who can run Dynat and maybe Orbital Strike and put +3 damage Combi Meltas on target to counter non Typhom/Cerberus Super Heavies, or Medusa in lower point games.

Another option for Term Horde is either Alpha Legion (Infiltrate Mutable Tactics) Morturg (Infiltrate Warlord Terminators) or AL Skorr (Infiltrate Warlord Terminators with Tank Hunter Mutable Tactics).

Alternatively, Deep Striking NL or IF Tartaros Terms with Combi Plasma can shred a lot of things.

@Hesh, that's why I said, "IF YOU NEED THEM TO, they can Assault..." :/

And yeah, I'm not sure why you're talking about fielding Terminators in the same post, let alone from other Legions.

Having a hard time settling on what units to take in this IW army I'm planning. Broad strokes theme is "advanced prototypes/tactics", but I can boil that down to the modelling choices if nothing else.

The Legion Rules don't really scream a particular army structure at me, which is both good and bad. Good in that I have freedom, bad in that it's harder to narrow down onto things. The RoW could work if I took min-strength Tacticals and a load of tanks or artillery. Just struggling to come up with an army build or overall goal to aim for at first.

The Iron Warriors are weird in that their Units are what make them more so than their Rules.

The No Morale from shooting is the biggest one though!

The Tyrants are also really powerful when combined with Pride of the Legion (Troops) and Perturabo (T1 Reserves + Deepstrike) and a Siege Breaker where possible to give the unit Tank Hunters.

10 Tyrants spew forth 20 Krak Missiles a Turn and if you really wanted to, you can take 30+ Tyrants at 3k Points with Perturabo.

Now thats saturation :P

The Tyrants are also really powerful when combined with Pride of the Legion (Troops) and Perturabo (T1 Reserves + Deepstrike) and a Siege Breaker where possible to give the unit Tank Hunters.

10 Tyrants spew forth 20 Krak Missiles a Turn and if you really wanted to, you can take 30+ Tyrants at 3k Points with Perturabo.

Now thats saturation :tongue.:

Without taking Perturabo (or any other named characters), can the Tyrants still be considered really powerful ?

I'm not looking for a really long answer, since I haven't really played yet, just making sure that it is worth building Tyrants

Edited by Lord Thørn

Now thats saturation :tongue.:

Without taking Perturabo (or any other named characters), can the Tyrants still be considered really powerful ?

I'm not looking for a really long answer, since I haven't really played yet, just making sure that it is worth building Tyrants

Spitting out up to twenty Krak missiles a turn plus bolters? 2+/4++? Relentless? Powerfists if they get charged?

Yep,they are super powerful! Characters just make them more convenient.

Now thats saturation :tongue.:

Spitting out up to twenty Krak missiles a turn plus bolters? 2+/4++? Relentless? Powerfists if they get charged?

Yep,they are super powerful! Characters just make them more convenient.

Cheers, that's what I'd always understood...

Ahh, who am I kidding ? I'd have been building some even if they weren't supposed to be good in the rules, they just look so awweeessooommeeesss ! (cue Barney Stinson high voice)

Might try and fit a squad of them in at higher points levels. But doesn't help with struggling with the fundamentals. Especially my unhealthy 40k holdover of "Must have 3 max-size Tactical squads in every army" going to ludicrous levels in a Legion list. 60 dudes FEELS solid, but with the abundance of anti-marine firepower around in both 30k and 40k, they look more like a liability without taking an Elites slot away for Apothecaries.

I'm starting to think 10 man squads with Nuncio-Voxes and either a QM battery or Legion Artillery battery would work better, especially if I bundle them into Rhinos. But then it doesn't feel like an Iron Warriors list for some reason. I should explain, it's the Rhinos that make it feel that way, not the Nuncio-Voxes + Artillery.

Wish the Legion's theme was easier to nail down.

Edited by SillyDreadnought

Its not a really hard theme. Its plodding troops running across the field backed up by Tyrants and heavy weapons/artillery in fortifications. IW is a WW1 trench fighting army. I wouldn't go with three, but 2 max infantry squads is perfectly doable and fluffy.

Tacs are a tax you pay. The RoW isn't too great to be honest, as it really puts the focus on Tacs that are.... Beyond averagely meh.

The extra heavy support slot is good but unless you go to high points levels, that extra troops choice is already eaten into that HS budget!

Iron Warriors units and Base rules make the army really, like slips said.

And hey, in a few days we'll have visibility on the next RoW, apparently an infantry charging through mass artillery deal. I'm guessing it removes the 0-1 restriction :O

Points limits are also the thing, yeah :tongue.:

Ah well, I'm mostly griping into the wind about theme. I think I'm settling on something, using the Wall of Martyrs fortification choice. Defending trenches with infantry and using Iron Havocs/Tyrants/everything that's not a tactical marine to pulverize things with superior firepower. And if needed, counter assault out of the trench lines. And yeah, I know the ADL is objectively superior to the WoM Trench in points cost and options. Stick to a mostly static movement phase and a busy shooting phase as I get back into learning the tricks of the Legiones Astartes list.

This does raise an important question though.

Is 3 Vindicators too much, too little, or just right? When paired with as many B/Cannon Vengeance Batteries as I can afford I mean.

Edited by SillyDreadnought