[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

Just trying to wrap my head around the new ROW, but yeah, it has me excited.

e: I think that new assault marine ROW is a pretty hard counter to this list though. Only snap firing at deepstriking turn 1 marines isn't going to bode well with all our templates.

Edited by Bulbafist

So tyrant siege terminators got nerfed. No more rocket vomit. Their in the heavy support slot now.

Though I think the new ROW more than makes up for it.

I think this was a major nerf to our legion. Now both our legion units take up a heavy support slot.

not to mention the cost increase to the quad guns, and the arguably over priced iron circle. It all makes our legion seem a little less functional

Edited by The Lord of Iron

Just trying to wrap my mind around all this. Here are my thoughts on what this new ROW means for the legion. High level we are looking at lists built around:

Siege Breaker (Mandatory)

World Burner

Thudd guns

Artillery

That's great. It would have been really really awesome if it was 'blast' weapons, but we can work with what we got. The breaker confers tank hunter, so he needs to get attached into a support squad of, most likely, Tyrants. This brings us to the problem of troops and triggering our bonus. The keyword in this ROW is "friendly Iron Warriors unit" which means allies are totally game as points of reference for these barrage weapons :smile.: SA and Reductor are perfect allies here with lots of synergy.

So what are the best ways for us to confer the Rolling Bombardment perk? Probably deep strikers on the second turn and drop podding units for turn 1. Quite a few things we can do here- Golg for Terminators, Lord of Iron for turn 1 reserves, drop pods with siege dreadnoughts, jetbikes, javlins, hovering fliers, dreadclaws with support/assault units, assault claws, or just deep striking admech units.

From here we can see that the basic list is turning into a strong firing line with deep striker units being thrown at the enemy line. The biggest threat to this are outflankers, drop pod armies, and that new assault vanguard ROW which will hard counter our templates. So we need interceptor and strong midfield blocking units to counter them. With this in mind I think the best allies for us are Reductor or SA. Both bring lots of cheap barrage weapons, good deep strike options, and a number of interceptor tricks. Even cult/militia would work here. Hell, you might can use this ROW with a shattered legion. Thank about those possibilities for a moment.

What's awesome here is that we finally have lots and lots of ways to run a good ROW. I think that makes this a big win for us overall. Color me happy.

So tyrant siege terminators got nerfed. No more rocket vomit. Their in the heavy support slot now.

Though I think the new ROW more than makes up for it.

I think this was a major nerf to our legion. Now both our legion units take up a heavy support slot.

not to mention the cost increase to the quad guns, and the arguably over priced iron circle. It all makes our legion seem a little less functional

Seriously ? Why on earth couldn't they just stay Elites ? Okay, they were a really strong choice, but that means that we can't take half of the units that we actually want to as Iron Warriors ! I don't know if any other legions will be having such problems actually portraying their theme on the battlefield... Very disappointed :(

At least we get a good rite of war out of it, even if a lot of barrage weapons only shoot at more than 12"...

I never used Havocs, Thudd Guns or more then one unit of 5 Tyrants in any 2000 points game and still crushed my opponents armies. Just because some IW players can't play without a really braindead army does not mean, that IW such now.

Spoiled kids lost their toys and now need to learn how to play. ;)

I never used Havocs, Thudd Guns or more then one unit of 5 Tyrants in any 2000 points game and still crushed my opponents armies. Just because some IW players can't play without a really braindead army does not mean, that IW such now.

Spoiled kids lost their toys and now need to learn how to play. :wink:

I'm not looking for a strong or braindead army, I'm just looking for a fluffy army with the cool minis that I want to fit in it. For me, that means HSS with Culverins, Iron Havoks with Missile Launchers, Artillery, a Leviathan and Vindis. It's already not possible to fit those into the HS slots, let alone having to compete with Tyrant Siege Terminators...

Those things are part of the IW theme. Its not the only theme, nor are all of those units together in one army list the theme either to IW.

In fact your mixing various IW themes into one mass. Artillery are used in sieges and vindis and leviathans are for siege breaking.

Those things are part of the IW theme. Its not the only theme, nor are all of those units together in one army list the theme either to IW.

In fact your mixing various IW themes into one mass. Artillery are used in sieges and vindis and leviathans are for siege breaking.

I suppose I am mixing some different ideas, but the point is I would still like to have some of the old options : yes, cut down on the possibilities for Rocket Vomit, but not by restricting the Heavy Support Slots even more...

Spoiled kids lost their toys and now need to learn how to play. :wink:

wow could you possibly be more condescending?

I play Iron Warriors because I want to play Iron warriors. Without our special units we lose a lot of what makes our legion unique. Our legion rules are already thread bare, our legion wargear is practically none existent. our rites of war are both focused on the idea of overwhelming fire power.

Our first rite of war gives us the ability to fire rapid fire weapons then charge which applies to exactly five units veterans, tactical squads, tactical supports (plasma guns), breachers, and seekers. realistically only two of these are every going see play in an iron warriors list. It also gives us extra armor on anything that can take it which is nice but nothing special and an extra heavy support slot which is now lost to our second heavy support unique unit.

Our second right focus excessively on barrage weapons, which in a legion list means Artillery Support Squads (which you can only take one), Whirlwind Scorpius, Masters of the Signals, and Rapiers. If you take an Artillery Support Squad you are left with exactly two heavy support choices which is barely enough to get both of our legion units. You can forget having anything else after that, no Spartans,  land raiders of any kind,  Siege or Deredeo, battle-automata, Sicarans, or predators among other things. And the idea that you would want to play an artillery rite of war without one of our two forms of artillery is just incomprehensible.

Even Then half of our legion is practically unplayable, Perturabo is 495 points himself and wants to be surrounded by terminators to get the most out of his rules 325 per ten man squad bare. 495 is alot in any normal sized game of two to three thousand points. You can forget running the tormentor at 500 points or his ridiculously over-priced body guard at 205 points a piece or 1230 for all six.

So you will have to forgive me if i feel like its getting to a point where I'm not see much of the Iron Warriors in my Iron Warriors lists. Hopefully forge world will move Iron havocs into the Elite sections as some sort of compensation to our legion.

So you will have to forgive me if i feel like its getting to a point where I'm not see much of the Iron Warriors in my Iron Warriors lists. Hopefully forge world will move Iron havocs into the Elite sections as some sort of compensation to our legion.

How about BS5 on Havoks?

How about BS5 on Havoks?

I don't want to over reach here I'm just hoping for the bare minimum. But yes that would be nice.

Lol, the wahmbulance may need to make several trips for this crowd. Putting them in heavy support slot is pretty harsh,

but would you have been okay with Tyrants being 0-1 or 50 points more expensive? Now you have half the problems of Fulmentarii, who are in heavy support and have a stupid price.

Fret not, the Alpha Legion will still happily field your Tyrants as elites. :P

How about BS5 on Havoks?

I don't want to over reach here I'm just hoping for the bare minimum. But yes that would be nice.

Well you got it, its in the new legion book :)

How about BS5 on Havoks?

Well you got it, its in the new legion book :smile.:

Really? mind posting a picture or link?

I'm liking the Barrage RoW. I'm thinking an Artillery squadron w/Medusa and a vindi squadron. Then some breachers to walk behind the vindis, 1 large or 2 small tac squads and maybe a tac support squad for backfield support. Probably a siege breaker and what ever else I can squeeze in.

I'm liking the Barrage RoW. I'm thinking an Artillery squadron w/Medusa and a vindi squadron. Then some breachers to walk behind the vindis, 1 large or 2 small tac squads and maybe a tac support squad for backfield support. Probably a siege breaker and what ever else I can squeeze in.

You actually need a Siege Breaker to field the new RoW.

I have to admit, I'm a bit miffed that they specified 12", as a lot of these Barrage Weapons can only shoot at more than 12", so the blast template can only be placed on a circle, not any kind of surface area.

I'd have felt far better about it if it specified say 18", or half the range of the weapon, but, hey ho...

Grrr. I already didnt have enough heavy slots for my vehicles. Now I have to drop another one to bring my favorite converted terminator unit. This is a massive nerf for us. First time I have really been very unhappy at FW doing something.

Anyone thinking of ever running Iron Circle? Rule of cool means I need them, bad. But darn if they are not way over costed! It makes so little sense...they are based on Domitar...have way more armor plating and a MASSIVE shield. But have exact same armor save wound and toughness? The invul for a solo IC is the same as normal mechanicum shielding? And way to few attacks...like half of what a MC made for CC should have.

Even the gun is weird as heck. 2 extra shots but loses a str and ap? Weird. Rage would have fixed them so quick. I guess you are paying for that forced disordered charge and that mega HOW. 

Dont forget that due to majority toughness, any character you slap onto a squad is now T7 and has a 2+ Look out sir to 3(4?) Wound MC's who also get a 4++ Re-rollable vs Blasts and Templates.

5 Pinning shots per Domitar means you've got some Ok Dakka and if you do pin a Unit, no Overwatch.

They're not MC's Made for CC like the Standard Domitar.

They're MC's made to be Bodyguards and Bullet Catchers much like their Fluff Dictates.

I can't see me not building 6 and running them with Perturabo. Terminator bodyguards in all their glory, but the Iron Circle are in a different league. Imagine Perturabo up front, tanking with his 2+ and 3+ invulnerablem which he re-rolls vs blasts. Then again we're talking more than a reaver titan in points (sadly)...

It is incredibly fluffy however, so there's that.

I'm leaning towards +1WS for 3 extra hits vs WS4 opponents, would you pick it over the 6+ FNP? A 6 bot team on the charge puts out 12 S7 HoW and 12-15 S10ap2 hits on average vs marines, so should crush pretty much any opposition. That's without accounting for Perturabo.

...yet it's 1720 points. I want to run this unit, but I'm not quite sure how to build my list around it.

I can't see me not building 6 and running them with Perturabo. Terminator bodyguards in all their glory, but the Iron Circle are in a different league. Imagine Perturabo up front, tanking with his 2+ and 3+ invulnerablem which he re-rolls vs blasts. Then again we're talking more than a reaver titan in points (sadly)...

It is incredibly fluffy however, so there's that.

I'm leaning towards +1WS for 3 extra hits vs WS4 opponents, would you pick it over the 6+ FNP? A 6 bot team on the charge puts out 12 S7 HoW and 12-15 S10ap2 hits on average vs marines, so should crush pretty much any opposition. That's without accounting for Perturabo.

...yet it's 1720 points. I want to run this unit, but I'm not quite sure how to build my list around it.

Ya 1720 is a little bit much for a single unit of seven guys. I was honestly expecting the iron circle to be along the lines of T6 firedrakes than anything else and to be priced like wise. not that the iron circle aren't cool just to expensive to ever see play. 

And come on as body guards you should not have to build a list around them. If anything it should be the other way around with the iron circle fitting into several different lists