[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

^Most people don't consider 3 AV12 hp that bad, but the big deal is that is makes whatever is under it immune to shooting attacks with Str<6

Which is terrif for infantry of any type. The best way to do stuff is not to have to roll dice for it.

And most people don't consider, that they'll need three units to kill all three Void Shields.

Are you sure about that?

I'm not saying it 100% isn't, but every time I've seen void shields they've been played like extra AV12 hull points.

Ie, you cause three glancing hits with a squad shooting at a void shielded target, you knock down three voids.

Are you sure about that?

I'm not saying it 100% isn't, but every time I've seen void shields they've been played like extra AV12 hull points.

Ie, you cause three glancing hits with a squad shooting at a void shielded target, you knock down three voids.

The ambiguity of GW rule texts might kill me some day. :)

As far as I under stand it, you have on projected Void Shield and buy additional projected VS. It says "If all the projected VS have collapsed, further hits strike the original target". And it goes on with: "At the end of each [...] turn, roll a dice for each projected VS, that has collapsed." That leads me to the conclusion, that each shield is to taken care of seperately.

But I could be wrong as well.

How does it work with Titans?

Stupid Dildotower. Crappy miniature with stupid rules. :D

Yeah, but there is definitely some interesting synergy if you use the Void Shield Manufactorum or whatever that formulation is called where you get 1-2 generators plus promethium pipes. Put some breachers with flamers on that, and you have a nice defensive line of torrent flamers behind an AV12 bubble.

Yeah, but there is definitely some interesting synergy if you use the Void Shield Manufactorum or whatever that formulation is called where you get 1-2 generators plus promethium pipes. Put some breachers with flamers on that, and you have a nice defensive line of torrent flamers behind an AV12 bubble.

Why not just a basic support squad? free flamers and everyone gets one. Not as durable as Breachers but more burn for your buck.

Because they cannot fill compulsory troop slots and if I've gotten to the point of buying support squads, I am usually wanting something heftier than flamers.

Plus there is the durability  Fluff-wise, I would even think Breachers should get their hardened armor re-roll vs wounds from the promethium pipes, but I guess that doesn't work RAW since it's neither template nor blast.

• 2 weeks later...

What's everyone's preferred HQs in an Iron Warriors army? I've recently made the decision to start a IV Legion force (probably only 1500-2000 points) and I've started, as I often do, by building an HQ choice. Fluffwise, he'd be my Warsmith, but I can see just by reading the first few posts of this thread that Warsmiths are not considered much bang for their buck, and in any event a Praetor might be a bit much for this small of an army. As a result, I was thinking of just running him as a Siege Breaker and going Riteless in my force. Good idea, or not, in your opinions?

For smaller games I usually rock a Chaplain, but a Delegatus or Siege Breaker aren't bad choices either. Golg is probably better than a vanilla preator because he makes terminator troops and Kyr is good for certain defensive builds.

Can any of you good people share your 2-3k Iron Fire lists?

Trying to get some ideas for how I want my Iron Warriors

Atm it seems I'll be needing some Medusas and Mortars, would I need a scorpius to make the most of the barrage rules? Would mortars be better in a big unit or something like 2 units of 2

Yes, if you like Terminators Golg is your man. But if you think that Terminators are a crappy unit (like I do) then Golg is a wuss. Less leadership, less attacks, no Paragon Blade and a stupid Warlord Trade. He is, just like van Halen, very good for certain builds I give you that.

But he is not better then a vanilla Praetor. Like so often in that game it depends on which kind of army you wanna play with.

What's everyone's preferred HQs in an Iron Warriors army? I've recently made the decision to start a IV Legion force (probably only 1500-2000 points) and I've started, as I often do, by building an HQ choice. Fluffwise, he'd be my Warsmith, but I can see just by reading the first few posts of this thread that Warsmiths are not considered much bang for their buck, and in any event a Praetor might be a bit much for this small of an army. As a result, I was thinking of just running him as a Siege Breaker and going Riteless in my force. Good idea, or not, in your opinions?

Both our rites of war need a siege breaker (or warsmith), so that can be a good choice.

Plus they unlock Phosphex :devil:

Both our rites of war need a siege breaker (or warsmith), so that can be a good choice.

Plus they unlock Phosphex :devil:

I love the smell of Phosphex in the morning. ;)
Edited by Gorgoff

Agreed. Golg is a tax. He's completely forgettable as a character and pretty bad if not for the ability to run terminators as troops.

Atm it seems I'll be needing some Medusas and Mortars, would I need a scorpius to make the most of the barrage rules? Would mortars be better in a big unit or something like 2 units of 2

Ironfire has 4 parts you need to think about: your HQ, your artillery, your forward elements, and your interdictors.

In the HQ department you really want to get World Burner, but there's no easy way of getting it without grabbing two HQs. Instead you can choose to save points here and grab a Warsmith, but then you're stuck with a pretty mediocre warlord trait and no AP3 thudd guns. Other interesting options are Kyr, Golg + Seige Breaker, or taking big P. How you choose your HQs will determine the rest of your list. Next up are your artillery. You're stuck with 0-1 artillery choices, but a scorpius, thudd guns, and command rhinos aren't bad ways to get pogs into your list. Another top tier option is to ally in admech- reductor has a strong synergy with an Iron Fire list and can also help you with interdiction (see later). Despite being very artillery focused, don't overspend here as the next two parts of your list are equally important. Third are your forward elements. These are the units you're going to put near your enemy so you can take advantage of no scatter templates. Dreadnaughts in pods, dreadclaws, assault claws, deep strikers, scouting units, assault marines, outflankers, and fast units like speeders can all work here. What you take depends mostly on what role your troops are filling, which artillery you decided on, and your HQs. Last, but certainly not least, are your interdictors. These are the interceptor units that will protect your backfield. Havocs, Deredeos, Mortis Dreads, and apothacaries (consider attaching them to your thudd guns for some comical synergy) are all strong choices, but all have drawbacks. Perhaps the strongest choice is to bring admech allies. A magos in a unit of thallax/myrmidons backed by ciber ocularis is very tough to beat and comes with a free HS slot you can fill with more artillery. SA can also work as an ally here, but aren't nearly as good when it comes to interceptor (unless you use relics, in which case, they are the best :smile.: )

Edited by Bulbafist

Agreed. Golg is a tax. He's completely forgettable as a character and pretty bad if not for the ability to run terminators as troops.

Ironfire has 4 parts you need to think about: your HQ, your artillery, your forward elements, and your interdictors.

In the HQ department you really want to get World Burner, but there's no easy way of getting it without grabbing two HQs. Instead you can choose to save points here and grab a Warsmith, but then you're stuck with a pretty mediocre warlord trait and no AP3 thudd guns. Other interesting options are Kyr, Golg + Seige Breaker, or taking big P. How you choose your HQs will determine the rest of your list. Next up are your artillery. You're stuck with 0-1 artillery choices, but a scorpius, thudd guns, and command rhinos aren't bad ways to get pogs into your list. Another top tier option is to ally in admech- reductor has a strong synergy with an Iron Fire list and can also help you with interdiction (see later). Despite being very artillery focused, don't overspend here as the next two parts of your list are equally important. Third are your forward elements. These are the units you're going to put near your enemy so you can take advantage of no scatter templates. Dreadnaughts in pods, dreadclaws, assault claws, deep strikers, scouting units, assault marines, outflankers, and fast units like speeders can all work here. What you take depends mostly on what role your troops are filling, which artillery you decided on, and your HQs. Last, but certainly not least, are your interdictors. These are the interceptor units that will protect your backfield. Havocs, Deredeos, Mortis Dreads, and apothacaries (consider attaching them to your thudd guns for some comical synergy) are all strong choices, but all have drawbacks. Perhaps the strongest choice is to bring admech allies. A magos in a unit of thallax/myrmidons backed by ciber ocularis is very tough to beat and comes with a free HS slot you can fill with more artillery. SA can also work as an ally here, but aren't nearly as good when it comes to interceptor (unless you use relics, in which case, they are the best :smile.: )

Cheers for that, given me a few things to think about.

Can't help but wonder how fun it would be to face a proper Iron Fire list. Could get tiring pretty quickly unless you are playing against a top tier opponent.

• 3 weeks later...

So I just bought the B@C box and I'm set to make a start on my first legion and I'm going with the 4, the plan is to run the tac's as three 10 man units and then expand them to 20 at the earliest opportunity, the terminators I want to convert to tyrants. But I'm not sure what to do with either of the Hq's in the box or how to arm the contemptor.

Also how would you recommend builder by upon the box? I like the look of the Iron circle, and dance adding in a leviathan or two, but the rest I am unsure of.

I preferably want to run a lot of infantry, and backnit up with the big guns, so iron fire sounds like what I should be running.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give it will be greatly appreciated.