[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

With the first Iron Warrior Rite of War, you can charge after rapid firing - that can be rather nice for Tacticals I believe. Sure you need a Warsmith or a Siege Breaker, but you were probably going to take a Siege Breaker in any case ;)

With the first Iron Warrior Rite of War, you can charge after rapid firing - that can be rather nice for Tacticals I believe. Sure you need a Warsmith or a Siege Breaker, but you were probably going to take a Siege Breaker in any case :wink:

Aye that is nice, shooting is statistically better than assault and you trade a combat attack usually hitting on 4+ to a shooting attack hitting on 3+.

Only shame is that Perturabo's Furious Charge bonus doesn't combine as it's disordered :'(

With the first Iron Warrior Rite of War, you can charge after rapid firing - that can be rather nice for Tacticals I believe. Sure you need a Warsmith or a Siege Breaker, but you were probably going to take a Siege Breaker in any case ;)

I'll be using a siege breaker with my siege tyrants. For the RoW I'd add in a delegatus for cheapness :)

With regards transports I try to avoid unless necessary. We spend ages painting infantry otherwise for them to sit off board which is a shame. For my emperor's children its why my palatines have jump packs. They may get a bit shot on the way in, but they look good doing it :)

Does anyone else feel like the Domitar-Ferrum and Iron Havocs need price reductions?

Would be easier on everyone's wallets!

A full unit of Domitar-Ferrum are 1,230 points.

10 Havocs with Lascannons are 460 points.

Both feel a little too expensive to me, but I could be wrong?

Edited by Warsmith Krast

Donno. 185 points for five dudes with Heavy Bolters is quiet an investment.

Give 'em Missle Launchers and we have 210 points. Yeah, they're good at killing Rhinos, Predator and the like, but still...

I like my Tyrants. They kill those tanks as well AND are mobile AND they're good at CC.

It's a matter of taste I guess.

Havocs might be a tad overpriced, but bs5 and the -1 cover saves bonus makes them significantly better than normal heavy support squads.

The iron circle robots on the other hand are very overpriced, especially considering they only have 2 attacks. I'd say they deserve a significant price drop, maybe down to 125-150. Sure it's a shame because the models are awesome.

I've been seriously considering two or three laser destroyer vindicators along with a unit of grav rapiers as my main source of AT

They aren't the most mobile units but I think I can control the enemies armour.

Other sources of AV can be added points depending.

10 Havocs with Lascannons are 460 points.

As a matter of fact a HSS with Lascannons are 435 points. So for only 25 points you get Tank Hunter, Hardened Armour, +1 BS and -1 on Cover Saves. That's a hell of a deal.

(Pretty much the opposite of what I wrote earlier, but Hey, I did my research and numbers don't lie)

Practically speaking 7 plus sarge in an ammo bunker is top notch. Or Kyr Valen.

Practically speaking 7 shots with ammo means one penetrating and one glancing hit at AV14.

For 400ish points.

You get a Praevian +3 Castellax with Darkfire Lances for that and they can and will finish a Raider in one volley plus they are mobile, way more tougher and can kill stuff in CC.

Lascannons look cool, but they're not a good weapon for killing tanks in my book.

Edited by Gorgoff

When I first started playing 30k I had a unit of 10 lascannons with siege breaker. Rapidly came to the conclusion that lightnings, quads, melta, venator, vindicator laser destroyers do the job better and for far cheaper. I'll be running 5 iron havocs with missiles as they're one of our special units and are bs5 tank hunter. But I certainly wouldn't be investing that many points.

Practically speaking 7 shots with ammo means one penetrating and one glancing hit at AV14.

For 400ish points.

You get a Praevian +3 Castellax with Darkfire Lances for that and they can and will finish a Raider in one volley plus they are mobile, way more tougher and can kill stuff in CC.

Lascannons look cool, but they're not a good weapon for killing tanks in my book.

Which also frees up one of those o so precious HS slots :)

For 400ish points.

I don't think the difference is nearly as major as you make it out to be. x3 Castellax against AV14 are getting about .8 pens and .8 glances, so a total of 1.6hp removed. Eight lascannons in a bunker get 2.4 pens and 2 glances, for a total of 4.4hp removed. Even with PE the x3 Castallax only strip 1.9hp. Darkfires are not that great and your odds remain fixed across all AV types. Meanwhile the cannons get 4.4 pens and 1.5 glances for a total of 6hp removed against AV13. Anything below that with an AV value is basically toast.

Havocs are a top notch backfield unit. The lascannons might be a tad expensive (for both Havocs and regular old HS squads), but the BS5, -1 saves, and take hunters really takes them over the top. I think a better comparison would be Havocs vs rapier laser destroyers. The rapiers probably win that comparison, but they are more vulnerable outside a bunker, don't get easy access to interceptor, and have shorter range. They also don't do as well against TEQ due to volume of fire. So they both have roles.

Edited by Bulbafist

I totally second that, but I wasn't talking about Havocs in the first place. ;) And I wasn't talking about 8 dudes either.

I was talking about 7 dudes in a bunker with ammo and I say that they are to expansive for what they'll do and that Castellax are way better.

That's the next thing.

Yeah, PE is nice but the main buff they get is Tank Hunter.

Hey guys, I'm still trying to figure out what secondary legion I'm playing and I'm considering the iron warriors again. I was wondering if there are any alternatives to playing ironfire? It seems like it might be a little bit too brutal aroundy my FLGS. Otherwise any ideas how to tone it down?

And, you know, you don't HAVE to play a RoW. ;) Like Charlie said. Iron Warriors are the Best Legion there is. We don't need it like the lesser Legions do to prevail.

Hey now - I didn't go that far!

Slander!

Don't bother me with facts.

I read between the lines. ;)