[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

Is it kind of redundant to have a squad of 5 Iron Havocs with missile launchers when I have a Deredeo Dreadnought too? I'll post a rough list that I fancy building for you (Vhalen, bunker, HoO) to take a poke at, but bear in mind it is meant to be more fluffy and not overly competitive if I'm honest. 

+++ Iron Warriors (2000pts) +++

+ HQ+

Kyr Vhalen (195pts)

+ Troops+

Legion Tactical Squad (205pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

Legion Tactical Squad (205pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]

Legion Tactical Squad (220pts) [9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Take an additional Chainsword or Combat Blade]
····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Multi-melta]

+ Elites+

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (140pts) [Heavy Flamer, 4x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen]
····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Fist]

+ Heavy Support +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought (220pts) [Aiolos Missile Launcher]

Iron Havoc Support Squad (225pts) [4x Iron Havoc, 4x Missile Launcher]
····Iron Havoc Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner, Missile Launcher]

Legion Land Raider Battle Squadron (275pts)
····Land Raider Achilles

Legion Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron (260pts)
····Legion Vindicator Tank [Laser Destroyer Array]

····Legion Vindicator Tank [Laser Destroyer Array]

+ Fortification (55pts) +

Imperial Bunker

--------------

So the Iron Havocs sit on the bunker that Vhalen buffs like a boss, Vhalen and the Veteran Squad go in the Land Raider Achilles (I need an excuse to buy that tank!), the Tactical Squads move up the board probably with the Land Raider getting ready to kick some teeth in as the Havocs, Deredeo and Laser Vindicators provide covering fire. I can tweak some of the list (like the heavy weapon in the Veteran Squad and the multi melta on the Rhino). I could probably shuffle some points around to get the Havocs an Apothecary too. I haven't gone with armoured ceramite for my vehicles at present as the main opponent I will have doesn't have much Melta but does have a fair bit of CC power (Gal Vorbak!). Main weakness of this list I can see is if I face a horde I could be pretty screwed (could swap the laser vindies to regular vindies for that ) or a strong alpha strike could take out my heavy support.

I may be tempted to switch the Havocs for a couple of Quad Mortars to sit on the bunker if they can and maybe split the Vindies into two separate units rather than a squadron to still take advantage of Hammer of Olympia.

Edited by Reyner

I've decided to get a copy of prospero and as I can't bear my beloved third in mk iii armour I've decided to add a shattered legion of iron warriors. Angel exterminatus justifies this for me.

Based on the points cost, do you guys actually run iron havocs?

I've decided to get a copy of prospero and as I can't bear my beloved third in mk iii armour I've decided to add a shattered legion of iron warriors. Angel exterminatus justifies this for me.

Welcome to the team, brother. ;)

I don't play them. Not becauser they're a bad unit but for the lack of a free heavy support. I got my Tyrants, my Basilisk and my Vindicator or HSS with Volkite. So no room for Havocs. I tried them out though and they've made quiet an impact.

I don't play them. Not becauser they're a bad unit but for the lack of a free heavy support. I got my Tyrants, my Basilisk and my Vindicator or HSS with Volkite. So no room for Havocs. I tried them out though and they've made quiet an impact.

Do you not use the rite of war that gives you an extra heavy slot?

If not would you mind if I asked why it seems good to me but I'm just starting out so might be missing somthing.

Edited by Brother Castle

Thank you :D

In terms of your tyrant's missiles what did you use?

I'm leaning towards these:

http://www.spellcrow.com/blizzard-missile-launchers-p-305.html?language=en

Or the ones from anvil industries?

I used the ones from anvil industry and they fit perfectly, size wise, though i did need to trim the mounting stubs back by about 2mm as they looked a little high and unbalanced on the cataphacti shoulders otherwise. The fact that they get cheaper the more you buy is nice too

Do you not use the rite of war that gives you an extra heavy slot?

If not would you mind if I asked why it seems good to me but I'm just starting out so might be missing somthing.

Again: no room.

In this case it is the third Troop choice. Don't need them and that 125points tax is quit a lot for another slot. Every unit you'd buy would be 125 points more expansive. That's too much in my book.

Instead take a look at The Ironfire.

THAT'S a good RoW.

Thank you :D

In terms of your tyrant's missiles what did you use?

I'm leaning towards these:http://www.spellcrow.com/blizzard-missile-launchers-p-305.html?language=en

Or the ones from anvil industries?

I took Destroyers from puppetswar and gave 'em new heads.

HoO scales better in bigger games where the extra scoring unit and HS slot are really worth it.

Ironfire is just plain brutal, you may not have friends if you use it lots though :P

Yeah.... I fear so.

Mostly I don't play RoW whatsoever. Don't need them to win and can't find a cool one I want to build my army around.

They won't die. But thats it :P

I imagine they are insanity in ZM though.

If they get past the base size restrictions for MCs and csn fit down the corridors available, sure.

Otherwise, they arent getting very far.

Guest uk_crow

What are everyone's thoughts on how you should run tacticals in an IW list?

3 10 man tacticals in rhinos or 2 20 man blobs with apothecary w/ AA & augury scanner?

My list is likely to include praetor, siege breaker (both in TDA), 3x quad mortars, 5-10 siege tyrants, medusas and a whirlwind scorpius

Cheers

What are everyone's thoughts on how you should run tacticals in an IW list?

3 10 man tacticals in rhinos or 2 20 man blobs with apothecary w/ AA & augury scanner?

My list is likely to include praetor, siege breaker (both in TDA), 3x quad mortars, 5-10 siege tyrants, medusas and a whirlwind scorpius

Cheers

Do people use tacticals still? I'm about to start iw and considering breachers (fluff as opposed to effectiveness) but the basic troop choices seem a little poo :(

Guest uk_crow

Do people use tacticals still? I'm about to start iw and considering breachers (fluff as opposed to effectiveness) but the basic troop choices seem a little poo :(

I have considered breachers but they seem much more defensive, I'm looking to create a list that offensively moves forward using the ironfire ROW. They look seriously cool so could they be used as a backfield defence unit?

Guest uk_crow

Someone has to be the ablative wounds and I love the idea of 40 tactical marines plodding up the field with the tyrants!

But are rhino mounted squads a more sensible choice?