[HH1.0] Iron Warriors Tactics

AfroCampbell

Hey all.

I thought I'd stop by this thread for the first time in far too long because I feel like I've totally lost any sense of direction with my Iron Warriors. I have a decent range of stuff, but I'm not working towards any definite goal and still haven't got a sense of what I'm missing or should be thinking about. Essentially I'm hoping that you guys can give me some suggestions as to how I can make the best of what I have now or add to it in order to put together something fairly solid. Any Rite of War is acceptable and any ideas are welcome.

At present my collection stands at:

Kyr Vhalen/Warsmith

Erasmus Golg/Cataphractii Praetor - usually Siege Breaker

Moritat w/dual Plasma Pistols and Jump Pack

Apothecary/Primus Medicae

A range of other models fit to play characters, veteran sergeants or a Command Squad (Legion Champion, Power Axes, Thunder Hammer etc)

10 Cataphractii Terminators

5 Tartaros Terminators (with probable plans to add another five in the future)

2 Lascannon/Power Fist Contemptor Dreadnoughts

1 Quad Mortar (ideally to be expanded to the full three in future)

40 Tactical Marines

5 Tactical Support Marines w/Volkite Calivers

10 Tyrant Siege Terminators

5 Autocannon Havocs

5 Missile Launcher Havocs

3 Castellax Battle Automata

1 Whirlwind

1 Imperial Bunker

I still have another ten unbuilt Marines from the Burning of Prospero box whose fates are undecided. Most likely they'll end up as additional Havocs or carrying special weapons for Veteran Tactical Squads, but this sort of thing is exactly where I'd appreciate your input.

---

Obviously I'm currently lacking armour, and should probably pick up a pair of Rhinos at the absolute least, but I really haven't got a clue what I should be thinking about. Any thoughts?

Hey all.

I thought I'd stop by this thread for the first time in far too long because I feel like I've totally lost any sense of direction with my Iron Warriors. I have a decent range of stuff, but I'm not working towards any definite goal and still haven't got a sense of what I'm missing or should be thinking about. Essentially I'm hoping that you guys can give me some suggestions as to how I can make the best of what I have now or add to it in order to put together something fairly solid. Any Rite of War is acceptable and any ideas are welcome.

At present my collection stands at:

Kyr Vhalen/Warsmith

Erasmus Golg/Cataphractii Praetor - usually Siege Breaker

Moritat w/dual Plasma Pistols and Jump Pack

Apothecary/Primus Medicae

A range of other models fit to play characters, veteran sergeants or a Command Squad (Legion Champion, Power Axes, Thunder Hammer etc)

10 Cataphractii Terminators

5 Tartaros Terminators (with probable plans to add another five in the future)

2 Lascannon/Power Fist Contemptor Dreadnoughts

1 Quad Mortar (ideally to be expanded to the full three in future)

40 Tactical Marines

5 Tactical Support Marines w/Volkite Calivers

10 Tyrant Siege Terminators

5 Autocannon Havocs

5 Missile Launcher Havocs

3 Castellax Battle Automata

1 Whirlwind

1 Imperial Bunker

I still have another ten unbuilt Marines from the Burning of Prospero box whose fates are undecided. Most likely they'll end up as additional Havocs or carrying special weapons for Veteran Tactical Squads, but this sort of thing is exactly where I'd appreciate your input.

---

Obviously I'm currently lacking armour, and should probably pick up a pair of Rhinos at the absolute least, but I really haven't got a clue what I should be thinking about. Any thoughts?

someone should answer this so i know what to buy him for a super late Christmas gift 

Is it worth giving Veterans 2x Heavy Bolters with Shrapnel rounds? They would be Pinning AND Rending correct?

They would, and that is kinda cool!

But the Heavy Bolters are still a trap IMO - you pay premuim points for what amounts to one extra shot per guy at close range.

The chance of pinning something for more costs doesn't really help this IMO.

Agreed Charlo! Artillery is just synonymous with Iron Warriors.

@Brighstar, if you want to run Kyr Vhalen and his Loyalists, then your Bunker is (IMHO) mandatory. He makes it AV15 and gives one unit the ability to re-roll 1's to hit in your deployment zone. He also comes with a Cortex Controller, so taking some Castellax, Vorax or Thallax isn't a terrible idea.

Here's a list I tinker with every now and then. It might suit you:

HQ

Kyr Vhalen: Rite of War (The Hammer of Olympia) XXX

TROOPS

10 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist; melta bombs); 9 Tactical Space Marines; add chainswords; nuncio-vox 185

Rhino: dozer blade; pintle-mounted multi-melta 55

10 Tactical Space Marines: Tactical Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist; melta bombs); 9 Tactical Space Marines; add chainswords; nuncio-vox 185

ELITES

3 Quad Launcher Rapier Carriers: quad launcher (shatter shells) 210

HEAVY SUPPORT

8 Iron Havocs: Iron Havoc Sergeant (autocannon; augury scanner); 7 Iron Havocs; 7 × autocannon 265

3 Castellax Class Battle-automata: enhanced targeting arrays 360

10 Tyrant Siege Terminators: Tyrant Siege Master; 9 Tyrant Siege Terminators; 3 × chainfist 560

Whirlwind Scorpius XXX

FORTIFICATIONS

Wall of Martyrs Imperial Bunker: Ammunition Dump 75

2,500 points

Tactica:

- Running "The Hammer of Olympia" for the extra Heavy Support slot. Also gave the Tacticals extra chainswords, so they can use "Hail of Fire" to Rapid Fire their bolters and charge with 2 attacks each. Their Rhinos have multi-meltas and dozer blades, because that is without doubt the best way to equip them.

- The Iron Havocs sit in the Bunker. They are your light/medium vehicle killers. They're very efficient at this with BS5, ammo dump re-rolls, and Tank Hunters. Kyr Vahlen hangs out with them to deter charges and repair the Bunker. Having him in there also keeps him alive longer to avoid giving up the Warsmith VP.

- The Castellax have to stay within Cortex Controller range, but they're a good counter-charge unit that will wreck MEQ targets that approach them. If you happen to have Darkfire cannon ones, even better, as they can target some heavy vehicles!

- Siege Tyrants do what they do best. Try to keep them just under 24" range from their targets so they can shoot their combi-bolters too.

- Whirlwind Scorpius is a bargain unit that pays for itself. Same deal with the Quad Launchers.

Hope this helps!

If ya have Vhalen your Havocs don't need an Ammunition Dump. :)

Mounted on a tank your Tacticals won't make any charges, so why bother with additional Chainswords and Power Fists?

Give 'em Kombi-Weapons with Melta or Plasma Gun instead.

With the spare 80 points you could buy Darkfire Lances for your Castellax.

If you do that you should keep the Ammunition Dump for your Havocs though. ;)

Last but not least take three independend units of Thudd Guns if ya have Elites to spare.

That's only my two Cent though. :)

Edited by Gorgoff

@Withershadow, shrapnel bolts are free, but heavy bolters are a bit overpriced for Veterans. Cool concept, but not efficient. Totally worth it for Dark Angels though!

@Gorgoff, I left the ammo dump in my list for versatility. Kyr Vhalen can give his bonus to anyone, like the Siege Tyrants, leaving the ammo dump for the Castellax AND the Iron Havocs. The Tyrants can sit on the other side of the deployment zone to the Bunker and still enjoy re-rollable 1's. :) But yes, Darkfire cannons would be so much better.

And no, the Tacticals won't be disembarking Rhinos and charging. But you won't be hiding in them all game, just using them to get to Objectives. The extra chainswords helps mitigate the Disordered Charge from "Hail of Fire" by giving them the same number of attacks, but with better odds:

- with bolters you shoot twice (hitting on 3's) and swing twice (hitting on 4's).

- with bolt pistols you shoot once (hitting on 3's) and swing 3 times (hitting on 4's).

Completely agree with separate Quad Launchers though. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm planning to enlarge my list to 3000 Pts. This is what I have till now in:

HQ

Warsmith + Catafracti Armor + Digilaser + Paragon Blade 

Command Squad Terminators Catafrati + Reaper Autocannon + 2 Power fist + 2 Chainfists 

Land Raider Phobos + Dozer 

Siege Breaker + Catafracti Terminator Armor 

ELITE

2 Rapier Quad Mortar + Shatter Shell 

1 Rapier Quad Mortar + Shatter Shell 

10 Veterans + Powerfist + Nuncio Vox + 2 Meltagun 

Rhino + Dozer 

TROOPS

10 Iron Warriors Tactical + P. Fist + Melta B. + N. Vox 

Rhino + Dozer 

10 Iron Warriors Tactical + P. Fist + Melta B. + N. Vox 

Rhino + Dozer 

10 Iron Warriors Tactical + P. Fist + Melta B. + N. Vox + 2CCW 

Rhino + Dozer 

HEAVY

2 Medusas 

5 Tyrant Siege Terminators + 2 Chainfist

2 Vindicators Lasdetroyers + Dozers 

I save around 340 points... I'm looking for 10 men Seekers Squad or 10 Men Destroyers Squad, both riding in a rhino. Which are better as counterstrike unit? Where counterstrike means kill incoming enemy infantry, or dropping assault marines squad... I love the idea of Destroyers, but they are reeeeeely expensive in points, on the other hands seekers are cheepers, but far less effective in melee...

@Major higgins:World Eaters allies.

Drop the CCW on the 3rd Tactical Squad, drop the Reaper Autocannon, drop all Power Fists at your Tactical Squads and voilà:

Ten man Tactical Squad World Eaters in a Phobos and a World Eaters Centurion in one of your other units is possible.

Best counterstrike unit you can get.

Or just take a Praevian with two Castellax. They'd crush most assaults as well.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you maximize the Iron Fire ROW?

I am running a 2 v 2, 3k per person game coming up and want to utilize the Iron Fire and mass barrage. It in isolation is a one dimensional list. But coupled with say a WE close combat assault list or Raven wing it could be a solid match.

Let me know what you think.

HQ:

145 pt Legion Praetor

artificer armor, combi plasma, iron halo, melta bombs, power axe, warsmith

135  pt legion siege breaker

artificer armor, refractor field, power axe, melta bombs

Elites:

110 pt apothecary detachment (1 per blob squad)

2 x apothecaries

artificer armor

160 pt legion quad mortars (mass phosphex)

2 x battery

phosphex shells

160 pt legion quad battery (mass phosphex)

2 x battery

phosphex shells

troops:

265 pt legion tactical squad

19 x marines 1 x sergeant (artificer, power fist, melta bombs)

nuncio vox

19 x marines 1 x sergeant (artificer, pfist)

nuncio vox, melta bombs

220 pt legion tactical squad (hold in back field for last minute objective grabbing)

9 x marines 1 x sergeant (artificer, pfist, melta bombs)

nuncio vox

rhino

multimelta

doze blade

Fast attack:

230 pt primaris lightning strike fighter (tank hunting)

battle servitor control

ground tracking auguries

2 x kraken missile

twin-linked lascannons

heavy support:

310 pt legion artillery squadron

2 x medusa

2 x medusas

120 pt legion whirlwind scorpius

2 x twin linked bolters

LOW:

565 pt Legion Fellblade

armored ceramite

legion crew

2995 points

Let me know what you think.

My bad.

Here is the updated list.

List:

HQ:

145 pt Legion Praetor

artificer armor, combi plasma, iron halo, melta bombs, power axe, warsmith

135 pt legion siege breaker

artificer armor, refractor field, power axe, melta bombs

Elites:

110 pt apothecary detachment (1 per blob squad)

2 x apothecaries

artificer armor

160 pt legion quad mortars (mass phosphex)

2 x battery

phosphex shells

160 pt legion quad battery (mass phosphex)

2 x battery

phosphex shells

160 pt contemptor cortus

chainfist

kheres assault cannon

troops:

19 x marines 1 x sergeant (artificer, power fist, melta bombs)

nuncio vox

19 x marines 1 x sergeant (artificer, pfist)

nuncio vox, melta bombs

220 pt legion tactical squad (hold in back field for last minute objective grabbing)

9 x marines 1 x sergeant (artificer, pfist, melta bombs)

nuncio vox

rhino

multimelta

doze blade

Fast attack:

230 pt primaris lightning strike fighter (tank hunting)

battle servitor control

ground tracking auguries

2 x kraken missile

twin-linked lascannons

150 pt legion outride squadron

5 x scout bikers

heavy support:

2 x medusa

120 pt legion whirlwind scorpius

2 x twin linked bolters

LOW:

565 pt Legion Fellblade

armored ceramite

legion crew

3010 points

Let me know what you think

Edited by montambro

I guess a Tactical Squad which is for objective sitting only don't need a Power Fist. It won't see any cc anyway and if they do they die.

And the Scorpius doesn’t need additional Bolters. He got one which is enough to prevent Weapon Destroyed.

are the rules for teleporter homers in the aod book, or the 40k rulebook? just noticed Perturabo has both

edit and another stupid question, 1d4chan says that strikedown helps blind from perturabos hammer go off - what does being in difficult terrain mean, that your initiative is reduced for the blind test? sorry just confused, i know you're initiative 1 if you charge through difficult terrain without grenades but i dont see anything anywhere that means strikedown matters in combat 

Edited by dansupvi

Teleport homers are in the AoD book, they are not a standard 40k item you'd find in the rulebook, the 40k rules for them would be in the Space Marine Codex. 

I don't see what 1d4chan is talking about. Strikedown makes it so that once you've suffered a wound, you move as if you were in difficult terrain until your next turn. Since you've already charged into combat, there's no way strikedown reduces your initiative to one, since you've already charged. Once in combat difficult terrain doesn't do anything. 1d4chan is a good resource, but it's not right 100% of the time. 

Hello fellow Warsmiths!

I bring questions and request advice.

I was doing alpha legion but I'm not in yheood to be sneaky, so with BoP I'm doing IW instead. That mK3.

April I'm facing Custodes. Like you can guess I want to crush him.

We are starting with 1k game.

Now I am a plastic heresy dude, so I have both boxes and budget to buy a couple more things. (Plastic, like a land raider.)

Im thinking on a Praetor in Cataprachii (???) Armour with Paragon blade and chosen duty row.

A Contemptor Dread with Assault cannon

A unit of Cataprachii Termies with power fists

2 Veteran squads and a Land Raider Phobos.

I know he is bringing one custodes dread that's why I want the LR with lascannons and then I can try and assault with termies and praetor denying him the charge AP2.

Suggestions welcome.

Edited by Sete

That could be any legion so it doesn't have much of a IW flavour but what you can do at 1000pts?

IDK about how much Custards one can field at 1000pts but if they he gets those 3++ rerollable save guys you can call it a day after deployment as you don't have anything with enough firepower to kill them. It takes 20 bolter shots to get one wound against T5 3++ rerollable save.

On thousand points you want to bring a Land Raider, because he has two Lascannons? That's a huge waste of points.

A five man Heavy Support Squad with Lascannons is way more effective. Or with Multimelta. He's gonna come to you anyway so the 24" range doesn’t matter.

Speaking of MM. You could bring some Attack Bikes with MM.