++ The Harrowing - An Alpha Legion Community ++

Sviar

I've infiltrated 30 cultists 3 times. They died in the first turn twice, and by the second turn once.

In that game where they didn't get completely wiped out, you should have used the cultist stratagem to regenerate them somewhere else entirely, preferably a backfield (yours or theirs) objective. At that point they've done their job to slow the enemy army as he deals with rabble, while the rest of your army is dishing out pain and getting in position.

Who said something about infiltrating Plague Marines? Because I've got a batch nice and ready for ya. I wanted to try and encapsulate a look of Alphas that have changed and become Plague Marines, so that's my inspiration for the chipped and worn off paint. They're not quite finished yet - still a few details and things to go, but for the most part this is the final product. Let me know if you like, and I'll share my secrets.

OFoNLgkl.jpg?1

Hidden Content
5L2ty4ql.jpg?1QR8GQDtl.jpg?1bCcUp6gl.jpg?1IBJZEtQl.jpg?1gH1ejdsl.jpg?1hU7aK4Ll.jpg?1

Teach me your ways, Scourged! I want to add AL to my DG army, and that paint scheme looks very effective.  

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried infiltrating a 20-man CSM w/IoE/Khorne Berzerker squad and smashing them into the enemy T1?

Alternatively, 40 Cultists as a hella annoying unit/distraction Carnifex in front of something with anti-tank weapons?

I plan to do this with Arkos and his posse of Faithless Bersekers. +1 charge rerollable for the win.

What's the plan to keep them alive for T1?

Well, infiltration is not deep striking, so they get a full move. The average result of 2D6+1 re-rollable is something like 10". That's a decent threat range where I can hide them from LOS or at least get cover somewhere mid-field. We use a lot of GW terrain and other big buildings, so that's usually not a problem.

Sure, but if you don't go first, what prevents obliteration? You mention LOS, but it's 9" off your opponents DZ. He should be able to smash them.

TjyqGtR.jpg

22D4Rbq.jpg

Brother Alpharius, "Primary Operative" and suspected testbed for the non-Codex pattern "Traitoris" (Debased Mk X) designation Astartes Power Armor.

...Or in other words, I've finally jumped onto the Alpha Legion primaris bandwagon with a paint scheme test mini.

Who said something about infiltrating Plague Marines? Because I've got a batch nice and ready for ya. I wanted to try and encapsulate a look of Alphas that have changed and become Plague Marines, so that's my inspiration for the chipped and worn off paint. They're not quite finished yet - still a few details and things to go, but for the most part this is the final product. Let me know if you like, and I'll share my secrets.

OFoNLgkl.jpg?1

Hidden Content
5L2ty4ql.jpg?1QR8GQDtl.jpg?1bCcUp6gl.jpg?1IBJZEtQl.jpg?1gH1ejdsl.jpg?1hU7aK4Ll.jpg?1

Nice job.

I could see them sneak a little plague onto a planet and then make nasty harrowing when the infection has spread enough.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried infiltrating a 20-man CSM w/IoE/Khorne Berzerker squad and smashing them into the enemy T1?

Alternatively, 40 Cultists as a hella annoying unit/distraction Carnifex in front of something with anti-tank weapons?

I plan to do this with Arkos and his posse of Faithless Bersekers. +1 charge rerollable for the win.

Well, infiltration is not deep striking, so they get a full move. The average result of 2D6+1 re-rollable is something like 10". That's a decent threat range where I can hide them from LOS or at least get cover somewhere mid-field. We use a lot of GW terrain and other big buildings, so that's usually not a problem.

Sure, but if you don't go first, what prevents obliteration? You mention LOS, but it's 9" off your opponents DZ. He should be able to smash them.

Again, why would I place them that close to their deployment zone?  People get too enamored with getting as close as possible.  Being in the middle of the table is fine too.  As I said, their effective threat range is 15-16", so I can place them comfortably mid-field.  If the opponent hangs back to stay out of that range, well then I've already taken over 2/3rds of the board and its objectives.  They are already putting in work just via their presence.  If they can be seen, they will have cover, and will be outside of 12" for the -1 to hit, so they will take a good bit of resources to die.  If the opponent chooses basically to concede most of the board to me, and focuses their whole turn of shooting to kill one unit, I'm already winning.

Also, this is extremely important, because almost everyone seems to get it wrong.  It's not 9", it's MORE than 9".  I see a lot of people saying, "oh, you just need to hit an 8 to successfully charge out of deep strike", and that is false.  More than 9" - 8" = more than 1", so no charge.  The same thing happened in the last edition with infiltrators, with people trying to rapid fire into stuff after moving 6".

Ugolino: Glad to see you reporting in! Liking what I see. What did you end up using for the paint job?

Thanks! Vallejo Gunmetal Blue in several layers, with a nuln oil recess wash at one point and so far ending with a green glaze- probably trying a blue follow-up on my next test mini to see how that looks different!

Ugolino: It is looking good! Though looking back did you prime the mini? I am wondering because I can see quite a few spots of blue that match the base.

Ah, yeah, that's on my laziness. Store-primed 8th release promotional mini that I basically used to somewhat lazily test this scheme, hence me missing a bunch of spots. I'll be less sloppy with the ones I intend to use as more than filler/testbed minis for the scheme. p

@Ugolino: I look forward to them my friend! Are you playing them as Primaris? I had been thinking about playing with the Primaris and giving them some Assassins since I still have the minis on sprue from that box game.

Going to use them in Shadow War as "regular" CSM and converting pox walkers and cultists to be used as human meatbags- lorewise, operatives/a mutant uprising...and down the line maybe as a Chosen/cultist based force.

@Ugolino: I look forward to them my friend! Are you playing them as Primaris? I had been thinking about playing with the Primaris and giving them some Assassins since I still have the minis on sprue from that box game.

Going to use them in Shadow War as "regular" CSM and converting pox walkers and cultists to be used as human meatbags- lorewise, operatives/a mutant uprising...and down the line maybe as a Chosen/cultist based force.

That's pretty cool. I had gotten the scions in a trade and thought about running them with my legionnaires but nobody is playing shadow war. We pretty much got it for the terrain.

A common misconception is that people think they should place their models as close to the enemy as possible just because they can do it. If you think you won't get the first turn or if you think the risk is too high on the flank where you wanted to place them, then simply don't put set them up that close. Worse case is that you got 'just' a free movement with that unit for 1CP by placing them just infront of your own deployment zone.

I think the infiltration is best for moving a unit to more advantageous area outside the deployment zone.

So far I have only done it with noise marines but I always put them into range of the enemy (and they will be coming my way so I do not have to be that close) and into cover.

Found another paint scheme I like and will use for my vehicles.

http://i.imgur.com/d30iJii.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ypOW24M.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DJrCKMl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZVYCtFw.jpg

It's a three tone gradient of these colors

http://i.imgur.com/TDQ5wBZ.jpg

Vallejo gun metal blue, candy2o auto air, and Tamiya clear green

Again, why would I place them that close to their deployment zone?  People get too enamored with getting as close as possible.  Being in the middle of the table is fine too.  As I said, their effective threat range is 15-16", so I can place them comfortably mid-field.  If the opponent hangs back to stay out of that range, well then I've already taken over 2/3rds of the board and its objectives.  They are already putting in work just via their presence.  If they can be seen, they will have cover, and will be outside of 12" for the -1 to hit, so they will take a good bit of resources to die.  If the opponent chooses basically to concede most of the board to me, and focuses their whole turn of shooting to kill one unit, I'm already winning.

Also, this is extremely important, because almost everyone seems to get it wrong.  It's not 9", it's MORE than 9".  I see a lot of people saying, "oh, you just need to hit an 8 to successfully charge out of deep strike", and that is false.  More than 9" - 8" = more than 1", so no charge.  The same thing happened in the last edition with infiltrators, with people trying to rapid fire into stuff after moving 6".

Alright, now I see where you're coming from.

I'm also aware of the more than 9" rule, don't worry ;)

@Azekai and others: I will glad you teach you the ways of the Lerneaen Plaguewind. 

First step: paint your models in the preferred color of rot and decay. I went with a lazy base of Rakarth Flesh over grey primer, then a drybrush of Flayed One Flesh (since I was wrong about having a pot Palid Witch at home...), then get nutty with a heavy Seraphim Sepia wash, waiting for it all to dry before hitting up some of the deeper recesses with Earthshade. There's your plague base.

Second step: Get yourself a bottle of Vallejo chipping medium. This is the magical secret. Spray a solid coat all over the completed models. There's plenty of tips on how to use this stuff, and official videos from Vallejo, but it's real simple.

Third step: After waiting at least 30 minutes for the chipping medium to dry, grab your paints and apply your Legion colors of choice. For me (and I'd imagine many of you) it's a healthy combination of greens and blues for that perfect Alpha blend we all have. But this will honestly work with any set of colors. And apply as many coat as you need - it won't affect the next step. Give the paint at least an hour to cure.

*Important note here: I didn't apply any washes like I normally would at this point. Because the chipping solution activates with water, I wasn't sure if washes would end up doing the same, rather than just paint the recesses. But I could be wrong! If you try applying a wash and it doesn't chip the paint, let me know.

Fourth step: Chip! Grab a brush or two, grab some warm water, and start chipping away at the paint. It's actually really easy to do, but I still highly recommend having a test model or two. It is very helpful to try out the stuff first to get a feel for how the chipping agent acts and reacts to various brushes and pressures. But yeah, chip away until you reach your desired look.

Fifth step: Let the models dry, and then apply any kind of clear coat to protect it! At this point, if you don't seal the paint on the armor, it will keep chipping as you work with it. Seal your work to keep it imperfectly perfect. 

From there it's just a matter of detail work. And there's no shortage of detail on these models (hence my inevitable purchase). I'll include a couple of methods I used on mine, should you wish to replicate:

Fleshy bits: Rakarth base, Athonian Camoshade wash, Rakarth drybrush, Reiland Flesh shade wash, then dot the pustules yellow

Horns: Rakarth base and Karak stone layer, then gradual shades of Earthshade to build up that dark gradient

Plague blades: Leadbelcher base, two shades of Camoshade. That gives it a nice sickly green tint. Then apply rust effects to your liking.

Wounds: for all of the parts where the armor was broken through or grew mouths, a little bit of Crimson wash on the edges highlighted with BftBG seals the deal, helping them look nice and fleshy.

Hope this all helps. I wish you all luck as you embrace the Lerneaen Plaguewind. 

micahwc: I like the color! I have something similar, in fact I am using the same tamiya product. How are yours not shiny? Once I applied water down clear green I have this sheen on my minis. I like it because it plays with the eyes a bit but I usually like a matte finish.

Scourged: I have two sets of DG from the dark imperium box and they are sorted for what paints they are getting. If I get even more I'm giving your scheme a shot!

Played 2 1250 games yesterday, against Necrons and Harlequins, and I was tabled T4 both turns. All missions were Maelstrom and I went as #2 in both. 

List was

Sorcerer (Warptime and Death Hex against Necrons, Prescience and Death Hex against Harlequins)

Cypher

21 CCW Cultists, 1 flamer

10 autogun Cultists

10 CSMs, 2 meltaguns, 1 power sword, IoE

3 Predator Annihilators

7 Fallen, powerfist and plasma pistol Champion, 4 plasma guns, 1 power sword.

I'm aware my list would benefit from more ablative Fallen, but it's what I have painted for now.

Against Necrons, I infiltrated my CSMs and 20-man Cultist squad behind him (playing Hammer and Anvil). In retrospect, I should have swapped them. I rolled snakeeyes on my melta, trying to hit his Destroyers, while my Cultists were down a lot of guys, and one of my Predators took 6 damage from a single Destroyer. The mistake that in retrospect cost me the game was charging his Immortals with my Fallen (armed to the teeth with plasma guns) and CSMs to hopefully chomp them and prevent them from shooting, but I couldn't kill any of them. And Orikan intervened later. 

His Destroyers mauled my Predators (rolling 6s twice on their d6 damage), which reduced them to hitting on 5+ because they had to avoid incoming Praetorians and I got cut to pieces everywhere else.

DJ1xO4dXkAAf6yI.jpg

DJ1xO4ZW0AArJBu.jpg

DJ1xO4gXkAEzYHl.jpg

Against the Killer Klowns from Outer Space, I infiltrated a squad of Cultists behind him, forcing him to deal with them. I used 2 CP to intervene, and chopped down three Pointy-Eared Klowns as he overran my other forward Cultists. I recycled my 20-man Cultist squad (which was a mistake) then opened fire with almost everything on his bikes, but used the Predators to hit his transports, but they did nothing (-1 to hit Klowns, -1 from moving, Invuln saves up the ying-yang). Before my T1 shooting, all my CPs were used up on failed re-rolls, infiltrating, recycling etc. 

Eventually I was just overrun. 

DJ2jWZ2W0AAntq8.jpg

DJ2jWZxW4AIGBCP.jpg

DJ2jWZ0WkAAKhVz.jpg

DJ2jWZ3XoAArA-1.jpg

Got this signed by Dan Abnett though... 

DJ1pBPzW4AErg29.jpg

Awesome to get an autograph from the man himself!

For your army did you run something like a battalion with your troops and a spearhead with your tanks? That's like +4 CP to use. I have yet to play against necrons but my buddy is dusting off his harlies this week so I hope to get some revenge for the Legion.

Awesome to get an autograph from the man himself!

For your army did you run something like a battalion with your troops and a spearhead with your tanks? That's like +4 CP to use. I have yet to play against necrons but my buddy is dusting off his harlies this week so I hope to get some revenge for the Legion.

Naw, I had a battalion - it wasn't the most optimised list. I should have run 3xminimum Cultist squads and used the extra points for more Fallen and a Warpsmith. I don't have that painted yet though.

I like that you play with what you have painted. Is that a club or group rule? If it was my group we would have nothing on the table, it would just boil down to a starting match.

Do you have any luck with the cultists? I could imagine one big blob infiltrating into cover would be a nice distraction.

Archived